PDA

View Full Version : Female dogs

Rotti_mama
June 30th, 2010, 1:54 PM
I have a question for all the dog owners:

A co-worker asked me the other day if two female rotties can be in the same houshold .
She has one female and thinking of adopting another rottie.
I have a male and a female so i don't know.
But someone told me once that two females are what they are.......bitches:):)

engteach64
June 30th, 2010, 2:38 PM
At one time we had 7 dogs. Well, mamma Haley had 4 puppies. Our first dog was a chow, our second was a lab, and our third a beagle. Beagles are pack dogs, so no biggie. The other two got along well because our chow was alpha dog, and let everyone knowit. From my experience, as long as the second dog accepts the pecking order all will be fine.

We did try to get a rottie once, but our chow was showing she was boss. Our rottie grabbed her by the throat one day and was shaking her from side to side. Our chow was about 50 pounds, and the rottie was still a pup, but shook her like a rag doll. We had to shoot the rottie to get her off of the chow since my husband couldn't get her off of her. That was rough, and we've never gotten a rottie again. That broke our hearts to have to do, but she just snapped.

I don't think sex has anything to do with how dogs get along, it is all about animal temperment and if you have a breed that will accept a pecking order.

That is my experience and humble opinion. Take it for what it's worth (not much). :)

Rotti_mama
June 30th, 2010, 4:29 PM
How sad.
Yea, I guess she just snapped.
Her rottie is from the shelter and should be used to other dogs.
I told her to take her female when she is ready to adopt and see if there is any aggression or domination.
Hard to tell because both dogs going to be on neutral ground and behave at that moment.
Mayby a different story when they get home.

joyohjoy
June 30th, 2010, 5:04 PM
I have heard that female boston's don't get along but I adopted a three year old and threw her into the mix at our house of all female's and they all get along just fine. The take turn being submissive. I don't think breed has anything to do with it.

engteach64
June 30th, 2010, 7:14 PM
Temperment is everything in dogs. I fully believe attitude is everything.

We have two beagles, and they are pack dogs, so they get along great. One is a male and one a female. The female is 2 years older, and is the dominant dog, but they snuggle up together all the time. Our male was abused before we got him, and has a bb in his back. He is pretty mellow, but he gets a little miffed at our female every now and then if she tries to eat his food.