PDA

View Full Version : Ten Notes on the Pac-11...

TheOldProgrammer
June 10th, 2010, 4:06 PM
From the Tacoma News Tribune...
Posted By Don Ruiz on June 10, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott just concluded a joint conference call along with officials from the University of Colorado, introduced this morning as the newest member of the conference.

Here are some highlights:

1.) Colorado's membership begins in 2012.

2.) As of now, the Pac-10 has no other invitations out and does not know if additional expansion will necessarily follow. And while Scott also wouldn't rule out that it will, he also said stopping here -- a Pac-11 -- is possible and that Colorado alone is a strong addition to the league. Scott also said reports of an invitation to Oklahoma State aren't accurate.

3.) The league will consider changing its name once its membership seems settled. He said he believes the name should reflect the membership ... which could mean not only changing the "10" but also perhaps the "Pac."

4.) The conference will probably break into divisions. The league will divide and schedule in a way that tries to minimize cost, inconvenience and especially study time for the athletes.

5.) A conference championship football game could happen as soon as 2012. However, he said he doesn't know if the current round of conference evolution will lead to a handful of superconferences with the champions meeting in a true football championship playoff.

6.) There is no definite timetable for when the conference expansion will be judged "complete."

7.) There are no requirements for Colorado -- which lacks a baseball program -- to add any sports.

8.) Scott implied that he expects Colorado to bring television viewers in Denver in much the same way the Arizona schools bring Phoenix or the Bay schools bring San Francisco. It is not -- he implied -- just Boulder that will become interested in the Pac-10.

9.) Scott said the Big 12/Pac-10 Hardwood series will go on as scheduled as long as there is a Big 12 to honor the remaining years of the contract. Unless it doesn't. The Colorado officials said they don't like leaving any Big 12 members behind, but that they acted for the academic and athletic good of their school.

10.) Not directly related, but Scott also said the league will issue a statement regarding penalties against USC later today.
:smoke

CenTexDave
June 11th, 2010, 7:48 PM
Nothing against Colorado, Nebraska, the Pac-10, Big Ten or Big 12, but this is getting ridculous. If Notre Dame would have changed the Big Ten none of this would be happening. I hope Notre Dame loses all its' games for the next decade. Let's see the big TV contract they receive then.

Rick
June 11th, 2010, 8:05 PM
Nebraska is a good fit for the Big 10. The Big Ten has been getting hammered because they don't have a championship game.

I still think this is being pushed by mostly by the Pac 10 due to the sanctions USC got. They are dead for several years and the only way to keep that TV money was to get Texas into the conference and they would take any coat tails they could bring with them.

Nebraska leaving the Big 12 could not cause the conference to break up.

Like Jeff Ward says, it's all about how many TV sets will be tuning into watch which conference. If you were the Pac 10, would you want Waco's TV market or Denver's? It's not even a question.

finalbowser
June 12th, 2010, 3:43 PM
The Big 12 has 10 teams and the Big 10 has 12 teams. And college is supposed to be about higher learning. oye.

Anyway, I'm a Big Ten (Wisconsin) fan. Nebraska is a good fit, but I hate that uniform wise they look almost identical to my team. I agree on the comment about Notre Dame. They were the most logical school to move to the conference, but they are too stubborn for their own good. They are pushing for their own demise if you ask me.

Kinda sad to see the Big 12 imploding though. I've always kinda looked at the Big 12 as being Texas' conference, and I think Colorado and Nebraska finally saw it the same way. Now it looks like schools around here are going to split up. Any Texas team that moves to the Pac-10 I will instantly become an anti-fan of. I would hope to keep as many in-state rivalries together as possible. If UT and A&M went to the SEC then that would be cool.

CenTexDave
June 15th, 2010, 12:38 PM
The Big Ten has been getting hammered? How so? Yeah, Ohio State lost back to back championship games, but the second one they shouldn't have even been in it.
Last year Ohio State won the Rose Bowl, Iowa the Orange Bowl, Penn State won, Wisconsin won. All impressive wins against other good teams.
But yes, that championship game would mean a game in early December. No way can you finish the year on Nov 24 or so, then wait until Jan 4 or 5 to play for a national championship. They came out flat against Florida and got blown out.

Rick
June 16th, 2010, 5:01 AM
That's why they got hammered and not just on the field, but also in the media. Some say they should not be in the championship game since they play one less game than the other conferences who have championship games.

curmudgeon
June 16th, 2010, 1:32 PM
Pac-10/11 will still be a weak conference besides a team or two at the top in football and basketball.

Big 12/10 needs to find two replacement teams. How about Arkansas and TCU? Then they could have a SWAC division!

Big 10/12 could be a very intriguing conference going forward. Getting the championship game will help their teams in the BCS games. Furthermore, Nebraska will create nice rivalries with Iowa, Wisconsin, and Ohio State. Getting a Notre Dame and someone else like Pitt could really add intrigue.

CenTexDave
June 16th, 2010, 8:31 PM
Nebraska's arch rival will in the Big Ten will be, IMO, Iowa or Wisconsin. The eastern part of the Big Ten has its own rivalries - Ohio State and Michigan is the most awesome rivalry in sports. Ohio State and Penn State is also good.

Night Owl
June 17th, 2010, 7:11 AM
Ohio State and Michigan is the most awesome rivalry in sports.
Only for you Yankees. I can name a few that are much better in my opinion. OSU and Michigan was great in the 60s-70s but has been dominated by OSU lately.

Army/Navy
Texas/Oklahoma
UCLA/USC
Alabama/Alburn
Texas/Texas A&M

TheOldProgrammer
June 17th, 2010, 7:16 AM
Oklahoma/Nebraska; Washington/Washington State, USC/UCLA, Florida/Florida State... :smoke

CenTexDave
June 17th, 2010, 9:17 AM
Only for you Yankees. I can name a few that are much better in my opinion. OSU and Michigan was great in the 60s-70s but has been dominated by OSU lately.

Army/Navy
Texas/Oklahoma
UCLA/USC
Alabama/Alburn
Texas/Texas A&M

Really? You've never seen it then. In your eyes Kansas/Missouri would also be better.
Army/Navy will always be fierce, but lately Army has forgotten how to win one.
Texas/Oklahoma was better before the Big 12 came into being.
Yes, Ohio State has dominated it lately, but it's only been lately since Jim Tressel took over the Buckeyes. Under John Cooper they had great teams but could never beat "that team up North". A successful season would be beating the other one. You could go in 0-10 and win and the season would be considered successful. Michigan is down now, but will be back. Remember, they are the winningest program in college football.

CenTexDave
June 17th, 2010, 9:19 AM
LOL. Florida hasn't even played Florida State lately.
A better one would be the "Civil War" - Oregon vs Oregon State.

Night Owl
June 17th, 2010, 1:28 PM
Really? You've never seen it then. In your eyes Kansas/Missouri would also be better.
Army/Navy will always be fierce, but lately Army has forgotten how to win one.
Texas/Oklahoma was better before the Big 12 came into being.
Yes, Ohio State has dominated it lately, but it's only been lately since Jim Tressel took over the Buckeyes. Under John Cooper they had great teams but could never beat "that team up North". A successful season would be beating the other one. You could go in 0-10 and win and the season would be considered successful. Michigan is down now, but will be back. Remember, they are the winningest program in college football.

I've seen it many times and it is usually a very boring game. I remember the "three yards and a cloud of dust" years. Boring football. The game may be big in the North but it means little in the South. Texas/Oklahoma is huge in the South. I guess it is where a peron comes from. Big 10 football is boring. They are big and SLOW. They can't compete with the faster and smaller (more athletic) teams from the South.

Your 0-10 comment fits nicely with the Texas/Texas A&M game. Especially for A&M, even Baylor fits into that category.

Sorry to bust your bubble.

CenTexDave
June 17th, 2010, 9:30 PM
You haven't burst my bubble. Ohio State has won 8 national championships. How many does UT have? LOL