PDA

View Full Version : Baylor Hanging On To UT's Coat Tails

corgifan
June 10th, 2010, 12:02 PM
For the life of me I'll never understand why Baylor is trying like hell to follow UT to whatever conference they choose to jump to... other than money, of course. Baylor is an afterthought in college football. They'll always be punked by the big boys. Why not downgrade to division 1A status and get it over with?

It looks like the Pac10 has taken care of the problem themselves, accepting Colorado to their conference before any other team. They didn't want Baylor in the first place, and this only leaves 5 more slots, to be taken by UT, Tech, A&M, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State. Problem solved!

Night Owl
June 10th, 2010, 12:33 PM
No, problem created. They might lose out on Texas, A&M and Tech.

TheOldProgrammer
June 10th, 2010, 3:30 PM
Then again they might not... This is all about money...

Scenario; get rid of Iowa State also and form a "Big Tex Conference"... :smoke

CenTexDave
June 11th, 2010, 7:49 PM
ESPN is reporting A&M is looking at the SEC. Another stupid move.

Spartan
June 11th, 2010, 10:17 PM
ESPN is reporting A&M is looking at the SEC. Another stupid move.

And how about this from the Houston Chronicle: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will join the Pacific-10 Conference, forming a south division with Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State.

cnjbond
June 11th, 2010, 10:35 PM
And how about this from the Houston Chronicle: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will join the Pacific-10 Conference, forming a south division with Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State.

That has already been discussed in 10 other threads :)

finalbowser
June 12th, 2010, 3:53 PM
Nobody wants Baylor LOL.

CenTexDave
June 15th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Baylor has no business in the Big 12 anyway. When the Big 12 was formed by combining the Big 12 and SWC they never should have come in. It was Governor Ann Richards, a Baylor grad, who insisted they go into the Big 12. Baylor hasn't been worth a damn since Grant Teaff retired as their coach. At least they were competitive with there. Now Art Briles is accumulating talent, but still think they are 2 or 3 years away from being a real good team. They have some real talent now, but you saw what happened when Robert Griffin got hurt last year. The team couldn't do much after he went down.

corgifan
June 16th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I was wrong, but I'm happy that the Texas schools will remain intact in the new Big Whatever. It would have been hell to travel to the west coast for games.

CenTexDave
June 16th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Look for TCU to get an invitation to join the Big 12 in the South Division. For the Big 12 North we might see Boise State or Utah.

cnjbond
June 16th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Look for TCU to get an invitation to join the Big 12 in the South Division. For the Big 12 North we might see Boise State or Utah.
Boise State just joined the MWC and Utah joined the PAC10.

TheOldProgrammer
June 17th, 2010, 7:09 AM
Don't look to Boise St... They're moving from the WAC to the Mountain West next July... :smoke

TheOldProgrammer
June 17th, 2010, 7:13 AM

And the MWC still has the same number of teams with Boise State joining to replace Utah... :smoke

CenTexDave
June 17th, 2010, 9:12 AM

Yeah, that's very true. But watch the MWC get raided. TCU would love to be in the Big 12.
The key here is 12 teams in a conference. To have two divisions and a conference championship game you must have 12 teams.
Maybe SMU. Maybe Houston. They will end up with 12 teams.

dawglover
October 23rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
UT lost again today. Baylor won again today. This just goes to show you how important a great quarterback is. Baylor has Robert Griffin, a Cove football prodigy. As long as he is healthy Baylor will be in the hunt. He makes an average team a great team. I bet he leaves Baylor early to enter the NFL draft. A lot of NFL teams have to be giving him a good hard look. I'm thinking "Cowboys." Goodbye Romo.

CenTexDave
October 24th, 2010, 3:47 AM
He might leave early, but remember he's considered a red shirt sophomore because he was hurt last year and given another year of eligibility. He's actually a junior, and from what he told me could graduate this spring. I'm sure he'll come back for one more year though.

corgifan
October 30th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Baylor is an afterthought in college football. They'll always be punked by the big boys. Why not downgrade to division 1A status and get it over with?

I'd like my crow served with a side of tator tots and a pepsi, please. (Even though the Horns suck out loud this year, I'd still have bet that the Bears would have been suckier. WRONG!)

CenTexDave
October 31st, 2010, 9:51 AM
It took Art Briles a couple of seasons of recruiting, but he's got them in place now. And recruiting will become even easier now. Still tough games remaining against Ok State, A&M and Oklahoma. But they could win two of those and finish 9-3 and get a decent bowl game. Even 8-4 would get them something good.

cnjbond
November 7th, 2010, 6:45 AM
They need to let go of UTs coat tails because unfortunately, they played like UT Saturday. Baylor will be a dangerous team once the defense catches up to the offense...RG3 is a BEAST!!!

corgifan
November 7th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I wonder how they'll fare once Griffin leaves.
Will he play one more year or bolt?

cnjbond
November 7th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I know I may sound crazy saying this, but you don't go to Baylor to bolt early for the NFL...I've been wrong before...

dawglover
November 7th, 2010, 3:37 PM
I wonder how they'll fare once Griffin leaves.
Will he play one more year or bolt?

I hope he stays but I couldn't blame him if he bolts. If he gets injured in college he could lose his NFL career. If he bolts he'll be a first round pick with a mega 8 digit NFL contract. With those kinds of bucks he can finish college in his off season leisure time and he can more then afford to do it at Baylor even without his athletic scholarship. Even the pricy Baylor tuition would then be chump change for him.

corgifan
November 7th, 2010, 9:54 PM
I know I may sound crazy saying this, but you don't go to Baylor to bolt early for the NFL.

I believe in most cases you're correct, but as stated, Griffin has a hell of a lot to lose.