PDA

View Full Version : Snails?

olderthandirt
April 25th, 2010, 11:15 PM
With the mess left over from the recent rainfall, my 9-mo old cocker has taken to eating snails. Any harm in this? I can spray around the plant beds with bitter apple if needed to stop her, but I hate to do that if it's harmless. Input, please?

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
April 26th, 2010, 9:18 AM
I cannot find any danger cited in the literature except for a certain snail in the Nova Scotia area that carries a lungworm that can be transmitted to canines. Incidently, this parasite is easily treated. Therefore I conclude that your puppy simply wishes to dine at a 5 Star restaurant and loves the escargot. All kidding aside, be cautious and prudent with chemicals in that intoxication by the poisons is more likely to cause an issue than the snails themselves.

olderthandirt
April 26th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks! I'm just going to let her enjoy these munchies while they last. Summer is around the corner, and soon we'll ALL be hoping for the rain. I appreciate the quick response!

CenTexDave
April 27th, 2010, 7:07 PM
Escargot is a special treat. Let him eat away.

cityboy
April 28th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Shoot, yeah, those things are tasty -- and they're free! :-B

Puck
April 28th, 2010, 8:57 PM
Hey, would you consider loaning out your pup? I've got an army of snails in my iris border.

engteach64
April 29th, 2010, 2:58 PM
Last night we were outside and my foot felt cold and wet, then I realized I was standing on a small snail. He lived, but I was pretty disgusted.

THEMEANOGRE
April 29th, 2010, 3:41 PM
Just be glad we're in TX. On Okinawa there was a variety of snail that had a spike growing from its tail that delivered a neurotoxic venom. Nasty buggers!