PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft

cnjbond
April 21st, 2010, 7:19 PM
Who's excited about the NFL Draft tomorrow? It feels like the Superbowl was sooooo long ago, but the draft is my "fix" to get me through until training camp begins. Who will the Cowboys pick in the 1st round, or will they trade out again...hmmmmmmm?

Night Owl
April 22nd, 2010, 7:28 AM
Heard they were trying to move up to the 11 or 12 pick. Miami and Denver have them. Wonder who they have their eye on, Tebow???????:)

cnjbond
April 22nd, 2010, 7:57 AM
Heard they were trying to move up to the 11 or 12 pick. Miami and Denver have them. Wonder who they have their eye on, Tebow???????:)
:bluerofl Now that was funny!

TheOldProgrammer
April 22nd, 2010, 8:19 AM
Thought I read or heard on the news that Jerry Jones indicated that he wasn't interested in a QB... Lord knows they need one... :smoke

cityboy
April 22nd, 2010, 8:40 AM
I think so, too. Look at all the great Dallas teams. One thing they all had in common was a great QB. Of course, great RBs, WRs and defense, too, but you gotta have the QB ... :smoke

cnjbond
April 22nd, 2010, 9:01 PM
Wow, they went with Bryant??!!!!!

Night Owl
April 22nd, 2010, 9:26 PM
They really didn't need another WR, but it is the Cowboys.

cityboy
April 23rd, 2010, 11:39 AM
I think it's a good pick, if the guy has his head on straight now ...

cityboy
April 24th, 2010, 9:13 AM
Thoughts on Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy? I think Tebow was a good college player basically because he was so big and strong. That asset will be severely negated in the NFL. McCoy is a question mark, I guess, because of his size, but I tell you what -- like Mack Brown said on the draft TV show, the guy is a winner. He won't be able to run the ball like he did in college (somebody will break him in half), but if he can move around in the backfield and throw, he might just be an outstanding pro QB. Doug Flutie comes to mind, only Colt is bigger and maybe stronger ...

cnjbond
April 24th, 2010, 10:46 AM
He's a great kid and a winner, but I think Denver reached quite a bit on taking Tebow that high, especially if they are going to let him sit and learn how to be a QB. Here are my thoughts on Colt as he was sitting there waiting to be drafted..."Gee, if I had known that I was going to fall this far, I would've gone back into the championship game!"

jim
April 24th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I agree. After the owe I got hurt sit out and the almost lost I took to long to throw the ball away in the previous game Colt is lucky he was picked at all. I am sure those two things cost him millions in pay. He will have to reprove himself for a few years now to get the it's all about me from everybody's thoughts.

cityboy
April 24th, 2010, 12:27 PM
He's a great kid and a winner, but I think Denver reached quite a bit on taking Tebow that high, especially if they are going to let him sit and learn how to be a QB. Here are my thoughts on Colt as he was sitting there waiting to be drafted..."Gee, if I had known that I was going to fall this far, I would've gone back into the championship game!"

Not a Colt fan?

cityboy
April 24th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I agree. After the owe I got hurt sit out and the almost lost I took to long to throw the ball away in the previous game Colt is lucky he was picked at all. I am sure those two things cost him millions in pay. He will have to reprove himself for a few years now to get the it's all about me from everybody's thoughts.

What did you say? :(

cnjbond
April 24th, 2010, 1:19 PM
Not a Colt fan?
Lol, now how in the world could you come to that conclusion? :13:

cityboy
April 24th, 2010, 4:17 PM
Lol, now how in the world could you come to that conclusion? :13:

You really think he tossed in the towel on his teammates in that game?

kantwin
April 24th, 2010, 6:40 PM
DISCLAIMER - I am not a huge fan of Colt McCoy.
From what I heard, he couldn't even feel his arm. Hard to play with a noodle hanging off your shoulder, especially on your throwing side.

cnjbond
April 24th, 2010, 7:39 PM
You really think he tossed in the towel on his teammates in that game?
Nah, I wouldn't go that far, but I will say he was probably STRONGLY encouraged to consider his NFL future on determining how much pain (or lack of feeling) he could tolerate in deciding on going back in. I heard the reports of him not being able to throw the ball to his dad who was only a few feet in front of him. I don't know, I look at the replays of the hit and just don't see how it could've caused that much damage...I'm not a doctor but I did stay in a Holiday Express!

cityboy
April 25th, 2010, 9:08 AM
Yeah, I just think he'd have gone back in, unless he was really hurt. Switching gears ... so what is the deal with Sam Bradford? Y'all think he is all that great a QB? I think back to other studs coming out of college -- Elway, Marino, Aikman, P. Manning -- and he doesn't compare or even come close, does he? But, shoot, what do I know ...

cnjbond
April 25th, 2010, 12:33 PM
He's probably the best out of the ones that were available. Unfortunately he's gonna be expected to contribute now instead of being allowed to develop and I'm not sure if he's ready for that...we'll see!

CenTexDave
April 27th, 2010, 6:13 PM
Thoughts on Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy? I think Tebow was a good college player basically because he was so big and strong. That asset will be severely negated in the NFL. McCoy is a question mark, I guess, because of his size, but I tell you what -- like Mack Brown said on the draft TV show, the guy is a winner. He won't be able to run the ball like he did in college (somebody will break him in half), but if he can move around in the backfield and throw, he might just be an outstanding pro QB. Doug Flutie comes to mind, only Colt is bigger and maybe stronger ...

Ever hear of a guy named Drew Brees?

CenTexDave
April 27th, 2010, 7:16 PM
I think the Cowboys did well in picking Dez Bryant. They really needed one of the top left tackles, but none available when they picked. Jerry Jones seems sold on Romo as his QB, but they better start planning very, very soon to find his replacement and get him groomed within a year or two. Remember, Romo sat around on the bench for 4 years or so until he played. He's not a 24 year old, 3 years out of college rookie.
With the Boys picking Bryant I imagine Roy Williams future is not very rosy. I'm sure the team would love to trade him but they'd get nothing for him. Nice free agent pickup by Jones.
And Cove fans remember Dez Bryant all too well from Cove's Regional Final loss to Lufkin in 2005.

CenTexDave
April 28th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I just think he'd have gone back in, unless he was really hurt. Switching gears ... so what is the deal with Sam Bradford? Y'all think he is all that great a QB? I think back to other studs coming out of college -- Elway, Marino, Aikman, P. Manning -- and he doesn't compare or even come close, does he? But, shoot, what do I know ...

So you think he's more like a Ryan Leaf of Akili Smith than a Marino or Elway?
The guy won the Heisman as a sophomore. Of course, he had a great team around him. Tebow won the Heisman as a sophomore the year before. He also had a great team around him. I do know I read that at a workout he impressed each and every team rep that attended. Hit something like 49 out of 50 passes, and the one incomplete was a dropped pass right into a receiver's hands. His throws had plenty of zip, and he can throw the out better than Clausen. Clausen's the one I want to see in the NFL. Will he be any good? Notre Dame QB's the past 20 years have pretty much stunk up the NFL. Will he be like a Montana or a Theissman or more like a Meier or a Quinn?
Saw an article on ESPN.com today that states Tebow is one of the great college QB's of all time - better than Vincent Young!!! :)):)):)):)):)) What an idiot. That absurd statement makes me wonder where ESPN and SI get these morons who masquerade as knowledgeable sports/football reporters.
The recent NFL draft is a fine example. ESPN's Mel Kiper is one of the absolute dumbest judges of talent in the world. This nincompoop wouldn't know a good football player if he walked up to him. He called Denver's pick of Tebow great. Might turn out that way, but Denver's D sucked last year. They definitely need to upgrade their D-line and LB's.

cityboy
April 28th, 2010, 1:58 PM
I saw some film on Tebow last night on ESPN, running the ball, and some guy belted him right across the kisser and put him flat on his back. I'm afraid that will happen a whole lot in the NFL. He was a big, strong boy in college, but in the pros, so is everybody else. Some people I guess think Colt McCoy is a quitter, but I see him being a pretty good pro QB, if he has the right assortment of talent around him. On a bad team, he'll get killed ...

CenTexDave
April 28th, 2010, 7:20 PM
Tebow will find out very quick that those OLB are bigger than him and they hit hard!
McCoy went to Cleveland. They've been in a rebuild mood for the past ten years. With Mike Holmgren they may have got it right.

Rick
April 28th, 2010, 9:09 PM
That Texas boy gonna love those Ohio winters. :))

I do hope he kicks ass.