PDA

View Full Version : Training a Dog to Not Open Doors

Rick
March 29th, 2010, 7:58 AM
We have a dog that opens doors. We have lever door handles and he just jumps up and knocks the handles down and opens the door. But when my wife was in Germany, he was at my daughter's and figured out how to open the doors with knobs.

I can't do much with him myself since he is one of those submissive to men dogs, but this has to stop.

Any suggestions?

THEMEANOGRE
March 29th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I would try locking the doors. When they stop opening for him, he should tire of trying something that doesn't work. Then maybe you can start leaving them unlocked, again. Just a thought.

Rick
March 29th, 2010, 10:55 AM
He opens bedroom doors, and all.

They are locked all day long if I forget to lock the garage/kitchen door, it'll be open when we get home.

I am tempted to leave that door unlocked and set the alarm. When it goes off, it'll scare the heck out of him. But he'd probably be deaf by the time we come home.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
March 29th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I think the MO might be right. If he is left in an environment where he can't get the door open he might find it futile and stop. I'll say that he appears to be one of the more talented little critters I've ever heard of. This might be a tough one Rick. The alarm idea has merit but I agree with the downside of that as well. I'll consult my behaviorist friend and post any info.

CenTexDave
March 29th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Electrocute all doors. Control it with an on/off switch. When you leave the house turn it on. I don't mean some huge dose, just something to tingle him a bit.

xzochye
March 29th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Are there sometime of baby proofing handles you can put on it?

THEMEANOGRE
March 29th, 2010, 1:07 PM
The problem with doing the alarm thing is with the alarm monitoring company and the P/FD.

bytem
March 29th, 2010, 1:51 PM
Electrocute all doors. Control it with an on/off switch. When you leave the house turn it on. I don't mean some huge dose, just something to tingle him a bit.

What,no shooting???:bluerofl:bluerofl:bluerofl

Rick
March 29th, 2010, 9:52 PM
I think the MO might be right. If he is left in an environment where he can't get the door open he might find it futile and stop. I'll say that he appears to be one of the more talented little critters I've ever heard of. This might be a tough one Rick. The alarm idea has merit but I agree with the downside of that as well. I'll consult my behaviorist friend and post any info.
Thanks!

The saddest part of it is that in November 2008, he opened the door, our son was home and didn't realize that the door was open, and our thirteen year old German Shepard got out and we never saw her again.

Wireman
March 30th, 2010, 5:02 PM
Rick, my Ridgeback had the same problem a few years back. Take a coke can and throw a couple of pieces of gravel in it and tie it to the doorknob. When they jump up they usually hit the can as well and are "rewarded" with a startling rattle - something dogs dislike. Once or twice and I'd bet the behavior stops. Ours now sits back and waits for the door to be opened.

Rick
March 30th, 2010, 5:08 PM
That sounds like a good idea. Worth trying.

BillK
March 30th, 2010, 5:08 PM
Are there sometime of baby proofing handles you can put on it?

This is a rubber knob that continues to turn unless you actually SQUEEZE it - this is rather cheap and the best suggestion that I have heard her so far Rick.

Rick
March 30th, 2010, 5:18 PM
We don't have door knobs! We have handles.

Night Owl
March 31st, 2010, 7:50 AM
Well then there you have it, the solution. Get door knobs!:thumbsup

Rick
March 31st, 2010, 8:17 AM
Does your house have door knobs? We'll send him over to see if it'll work!!! lol

Night Owl
March 31st, 2010, 11:07 AM
Mine has handles. Sorry!:)

Scarlett
March 31st, 2010, 11:32 AM
Mine has knobs, and my cat can open them. Cats, being far more intelligent than dogs, can do just about anything.... ;)

Rick
March 31st, 2010, 12:20 PM
He is a very smart dog. No doubt about that. He's a heeler mixed (with cat I sometimes think). He plays with cats and jumps around like one of them. It is pathetic to watch.

I am certain this is caused by "separation anxiety". A couple of weeks ago, when my sister and her family were visiting, they were riding the horses and we had him locked inside. He went crazy, he opened the master BR door and scratched up my night stand trying to get out the window.

Getting another dog would not work since he did this when we had the Shepard and he does it when my daughter visits.

Hopefully, the noisy can will work. Or maybe even a small door alarm.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
March 31st, 2010, 2:03 PM
The behaviorist I spoke with had a similar recommendation to wireman. She recommended placing a "jingle" bell or other noise making device on the door to discourage the behavior. I really like the idea of more noxious noise like rocks in a coke can.

Centex Talk is awesome. It's like putting a whole bunch of heads together to find solutions to problems. Thanks wireman for the excellent suggestion.

Rick
March 31st, 2010, 2:29 PM
That is probably the cheapest solution too. It certainly is a logical starting point.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Night Owl
March 31st, 2010, 2:38 PM
I'm surprised you didn't get a "shoot em" comment.:)

CenTexDave
March 31st, 2010, 9:47 PM
Nah, too personal. However, a claymore mine with a tripwire might do the trick!:)

Night Owl
March 31st, 2010, 10:15 PM
:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup You are too easy!!!!