PDA

View Full Version : Pick the winner of the NCAA Men's BB Tourny

Night Owl
March 18th, 2010, 3:14 PM
Pick who will win it all. And for more fun, pick the Final 4.

Night Owl
March 18th, 2010, 3:18 PM
Winner: Kansas

Final 4:
West - Kansas State (Weakest Region but Syracuse or Pitt could surprise)
East - Kentucky (Could be West Virginia)
South - Duke (Baylor may make it but it will not be easy)
MidWest - Kansas (Has to get by OK state or Georgetown)

cnjbond
March 18th, 2010, 6:15 PM
Kansas

Final 4:
Kansas
Syracuse
Duke
Kentucky

CenTexDave
March 18th, 2010, 9:37 PM
I'm going with a couple of upsets here:

Champ: Kentucky
Final 4: Ohio State, Kentucky, Duke, Syracuse

Night Owl
March 19th, 2010, 3:19 PM
3 of my Sweet 16 teams have bit the dust.

Georgetown
Vanderbilt
Temple

Night Owl
March 19th, 2010, 3:21 PM
I'm going with a couple of upsets here:

Champ: Kentucky
Final 4: Ohio State, Kentucky, Duke, Syracuse

Homer pick!!!!!:)):))

CenTexDave
March 19th, 2010, 4:27 PM
Sure is. But, you know, they are pretty good. The one thing that might do them is lack of any real height. They don't start anyone over 6'9". They have 7 losses this year. Five of those came when Eric Turner was injured and didn't play. Turner is most likely the Player of the Year.
Where are the 'Horns today? Back in Austin!! Pretty crappy showing for a team that was ranked #1 this year.

CenTexDave
March 20th, 2010, 7:16 PM
And down goes Kansas and Villanova today.

CenTexDave
March 21st, 2010, 9:03 PM
Anyone watch Michigan State and Maryland. Helluva game. This is a good tournament so far. The Big 12 has been taking it on the shins, though - Texas, Ok State, Kansas, Missouri and A&M all eliminated already.

cnjbond
March 22nd, 2010, 4:20 PM
Where are the 'Horns today? Back in Austin!! Pretty crappy showing for a team that was ranked #1 this year.

Hey you know Pretty Ricky doesn't care about winning the tournament, he just wants his players to make it in the NBA...championships be damned!

CenTexDave
March 22nd, 2010, 4:43 PM
From the looks of how they played, they won't do anything in the NBA either.

CenTexDave
March 25th, 2010, 9:17 PM
Syracuse bit the bullet tonight. Butler advances to play the winner of the K-State/Xavier game for the western region championship.

Night Owl
March 26th, 2010, 7:53 AM
#5 Butler vs #2 KState and #1 Kentucky vs #2 West Virginia.

CenTexDave
March 26th, 2010, 9:08 AM
Two more tonight, then onto the Regional Championships this weekend.

Night Owl
March 26th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Rooting for Baylor tonight. Would be sweet if the final was Baylor vs KState

CenTexDave
March 26th, 2010, 3:23 PM
Wouldn't be bad. So you think Duke, Kentucky and Ohio State will all go done this weekend? :)):)):))
That's the best joke you've told in the past few months.

Night Owl
March 26th, 2010, 4:05 PM
Reread my post you old geezer. I said I was rooting for Baylor and it would be sweet it Baylor and KState made it. There was no prediction in that post, just wishful thinking.:)):))

CenTexDave
March 26th, 2010, 9:41 PM
Well, you got a partial wish. It may come true yet. Ohio State's Evan Turner had a great game (31 points) but got little help as Tennessee beat them. Maybe not that big a surprise, really, because Tenn is one of the teams that beat Kansas earlier this year.
Baylor cremated St. Marys. Go Bears.

Rick
March 27th, 2010, 8:05 AM
Hated to see Ohio State lose, but Baylor winning was good to see!

CenTexDave
March 27th, 2010, 8:42 AM
Every starter on the Buckeyes is an underclassman. If they all come back they should be a very good bet to win it all next year.

Night Owl
March 27th, 2010, 2:15 PM
I've heard that at least two of them will go pro this year and will be 2 of the top 4 picks.

CenTexDave
March 27th, 2010, 7:37 PM
Turner will probably declare for the draft, but after they lost to Tennessee he said he was unsure because he hated to "go out like this".
Butler upset K-State this afternoon and WVA is beating Kentucky.
Your crystal ball might be right on the money.
Good luck to Baylor tomorrow. I hope they send Duke crying all the way back home.
And by the way, the Baylor Lady Bears knocked off top seed Tennessee this afternoon.

Night Owl
March 27th, 2010, 9:38 PM
Kentucky is gone and so is KState. No Baylor/KState final, but still a chance for a Baylor final.

CenTexDave
March 27th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Never happen.
Why? Because we all want Baylor to win. I'm convinced I'm a jinx. If I root for Duke maybe Baylor will win.
Go Blue Devils. Ugh.

cnjbond
March 28th, 2010, 5:08 PM
Never happen.
Why? Because we all want Baylor to win. I'm convinced I'm a jinx. If I root for Duke maybe Baylor will win.
Go Blue Devils. Ugh.

I was told the same thing during the Super Bowl so I started cheering for the Colts...guess it's true!

cnjbond
March 28th, 2010, 6:36 PM
See Dave, you had to go and add the "Ugh" at the end of Go Blue Devile...the hands of fate saw through it. Better luck next year Bears, at least you played half a good game.

CenTexDave
March 28th, 2010, 7:20 PM
They did extremely well this year for a team that was picked to finish 10th in the B ig 12.
Now what? We have Butler vs. Michigan State in one semi and WVA vs. Duke in the other one. Who wins it all now?

Night Owl
March 29th, 2010, 7:23 AM
Butler, I hope.

CenTexDave
March 29th, 2010, 8:54 AM
Me too. ABD - anybody but Duke.

CenTexDave
April 3rd, 2010, 8:48 PM
Butler won a close game that looked like neither team wanted to win. Ugly basketball.
Duke is putting it to WVA right now.
Anybody catch Friday's front page of the Indy newspaper? Seems about 20% of their circulation was released with a pic of Duke's Coach K on the front page. Somebody "touched up" the pic - gave him a set of horns, mustache, etc. Looked like a Blue Devil!

Rick
April 4th, 2010, 9:40 AM
That scene last night with Huggins on the floor with his injured player was one of the most touching moments I have ever seen on any playing field.

It truly was about more than the game.

CenTexDave
April 4th, 2010, 10:00 AM
They love him in WVA for sure.
I remember watching the Final Four decades ago, think it was 1960 or 1961, when Ohio State had those great teams with Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek, Mel Nowell, and some guy named Bobby Knight. In the semis Lucas went up for a rebound and came down awkwardly and tore a ligament in his knee. As he limped off the floor Coach Fred Taylor put his arm around him to try to console and talk to him. Lucas was about in tears, not because of the pain but because he knew he was finished. With his knee heavily wrapped the next night he was totally ineffective as Cincinnati beat them for the national championship. After the game Taylor was interviewed and said something to the effect that the championship wasn't as important as ensuring Lucas didn't permanently damage the knee. Remember, back then they didn't have the medical procedures they do today. As it turned out, Jerry Lucas rehabbed his knee and went on to an NBA Hall of Fame career. One of only 3, I believe, who ever grabbed 40 rebounds in a game. Not bad for a guy who is only 6'8".

Monday night for the championship. GO BUTLER!!!!
And good luck today to the Baylor Lady Bears as they take on the powerhouse Connecticut Lady Huskies.