PDA

View Full Version : Fishing

stormy
March 16th, 2010, 1:00 PM
My dad actually wanted me to start this thread.

We all went fishing on Sunday at Stillhouse; went up the river past Gravel Crossing. Caught 4 white bass (keepers) and 2 largemouth that weren't big enough to keep. We fished for quite a while, and no luck. Then my fiance (impatient man that he is) decided to use a pole with no weight, no bobber and just a minnow. WHAM! Started catching them left & right. My daughter had Grandpa fix her pole the same way, and she started hitting them too.

So, where does everyone fish? Where are your favorite spots? What do you have luck fishing with?

Rick
March 16th, 2010, 1:24 PM
I like going after the white's at Inks Lake. They taste so good.

If I am bored and don't have a lot of time, I walk to the back part of our property and fish in Clear Creek. There is a nice ponded part of the creek that is home to a BUNCH of fish. Large and smallmouth bass. I caught five Sunday, hooked a pretty good size largemouth that broke the line. He isn't going anywhere, I am going to get my hook back. :)

I have been having good luck with plastic worms. But when they are schooling, topwater Spooks are the best.

I'll post some pictures of a few of the largemouths I have caught in the creek. They aren't that big, but fun to catch and release

May 7th, I am done for a while, so I need to get it all out of my system while I can.

wolfcub
March 16th, 2010, 1:29 PM
I fish the glowing fish out of Harris Lake where the nuclear reactor is a 1/4 mile from my house. Always go at night cause they are easy to see!!!! :)

circle_c
March 16th, 2010, 3:04 PM
That's a bright way to fish.

Rick
March 16th, 2010, 7:43 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of some I have caught from the creek!

Night Owl
March 17th, 2010, 7:37 AM
Throw those minnows back and let em grow awhile longer.:)

Nice fish.

Rick
March 17th, 2010, 8:12 AM
That's the plan! :-$

CenTexDave
March 17th, 2010, 2:29 PM
Poor little fish. You are a mass murderer!!!:)

Rick
March 17th, 2010, 2:36 PM
I didn't eat those.

But this one!!!! Yep, it tasted good! Caught it in Inks Lake last year.

Night Owl
March 17th, 2010, 4:40 PM
You should have released him in your creek. Added to the gene pool.

Rick
March 17th, 2010, 6:41 PM
Naw, preferred adding him to the frying pan.

CenTexDave
March 17th, 2010, 8:42 PM
Ah, some alligator probably would have ate it if he threw it in his backyard creek.

Geno
March 20th, 2010, 7:32 AM
The whites have been biting on 2 inch plastic grubs in Inks Lake. Was down ther last Sunday caught 6, Then again on Thursday (18 Mar) caught 8, all over 14 inches.

cityboy
March 20th, 2010, 9:39 AM
The whites have been biting on 2 inch plastic grubs in Inks Lake. Was down ther last Sunday caught 6, Then again on Thursday (18 Mar) caught 8, all over 14 inches.

You fish off the bank there, or in a boat? I loved fishing when I was a kid, but haven't fished in years and years. Don't even have any eqpt. any more. Some of you hardcore types give me some helpful hints for how to have some fun and catch some decent fish without too big an investment in gear (maybe using cane poles off the bank)?

CenTexDave
March 20th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Cityboy: It's really easy to get the right equipment and have fun. To have an enjoyable afternoon fishing you will need: cane pole, string, a hook (safety pin will also work), bait (just about anything you find will work - worms, caterpillar, pieces of bread, etc), a cooler and a 12 pack of beer.
Once you arrive at your chosen body of water, relax and open up the cooler and have a cold beer. Then take out your pole and bait, bait the hook. Prior to throwing the line in the water have another cold one. You deserve it. Throw the line in the water and just relax. If you brought a portable radio turn it on. Fish not biting? Drink another cold one. Repeat the above for about three hours. Catch anything? No biggee, really. You still had fun and relaxed. Hope you can make it back to your car.

cityboy
March 20th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I know how to do that, brother D! ;) What I want to know is where are some good places to sit on the bank with a cane pole and actually catch some decent fish. Have a little fun and relax. I've consumed enough alcohol in my day to float a few battleships, and no longer partake ...

CenTexDave
March 20th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I don't know. I don't fish.:)):)):))

Geno
March 21st, 2010, 8:39 AM
There are great places to fish from the Banks of Inks Lake. There is 2 fishing peirs each has a cleaning station nearby. If you don't want to fish from the piers there are lots of place's to just sit on the bank and fish. If your going to bank fish the best place is up by Devils Water Hole from the rocks. Noone needs a fishing license as long as you fish from the State Park property.

I am usually fishing from a boat casting really close to the bank.

Geno

circle_c
March 21st, 2010, 9:41 AM
Cityboy: It's really easy to get the right equipment and have fun. To have an enjoyable afternoon fishing you will need: cane pole, string, a hook (safety pin will also work), bait (just about anything you find will work - worms, caterpillar, pieces of bread, etc), a cooler and a 12 pack of beer.
Once you arrive at your chosen body of water, relax and open up the cooler and have a cold beer. Then take out your pole and bait, bait the hook. Prior to throwing the line in the water have another cold one. You deserve it. Throw the line in the water and just relax. If you brought a portable radio turn it on. Fish not biting? Drink another cold one. Repeat the above for about three hours. Catch anything? No biggee, really. You still had fun and relaxed. Hope you can make it back to your car. Dave, why would you want to bait the hook and let a darn fish spoil your beer drinking and relaxation? just throw the empty hook over the side lay back and enjoy the beer music and scenery. :glug:

CenTexDave
March 21st, 2010, 9:51 AM
Good point. I'll have to make a note of that for any future fishing trips.

jack
March 21st, 2010, 10:31 AM
this time of year you can catch crappie from the bank if you park your car onthe rightsideofstillhouse lake road just beforethe longbridge crossingstillhouselake. Walk down to Trimmier Creek.

Pretty downthere too. Sometime you cancatch fish at gravel crossing off of fm 2484 on the way toYoungsport

cityboy
March 21st, 2010, 10:35 AM
I think I know where you're talking about, as far as the long bridge, but Trimmier Creek?

Rick
March 21st, 2010, 1:13 PM
Geno knows of what he speaks. He is the one who took the picture of me with the bass.

I heard there are some good spots along the Lampasas River as well. Just don't know where.

cityboy
March 21st, 2010, 2:36 PM
I know the spot he mentions at the long bridge, but I don't know the location of Trimmier Creek down there ... isn't that where the Lampasas River becomes Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir?

Rick
March 21st, 2010, 3:01 PM
What's a shame is that I live within walking distance to the river and have yet to walk down to fish it. I am going to change that soon.

As for equipment, Wal-Mart, Academy, Dick's Sporting Goods has rod/reel combos and tackle for any budget.

Gene and I both rave about the 7' Ugly Stick rods. They are great, but a bit pricey. I also have a 6'6" Thunderstick, and it is nice too. I like the Quantum Escalade reels.

cityboy
March 21st, 2010, 8:00 PM
I see people parked all the time down by a Lampasas River bridge along 190 near Kempner. Don't know if they're fishing down there or what. Half-afraid to walk down there and find a Deliverance convention or somethin' ...

CenTexDave
March 21st, 2010, 8:01 PM
Be careful of that thar Lampasas River spot. Alligators have been spotted there!!:smoke

cityboy
March 22nd, 2010, 5:22 AM
Maybe I kin ketch one of 'em ... :-B

CenTexDave
March 22nd, 2010, 6:12 AM
Then you can sell it to that new restaurant in Cove - Crawdaddy's. They have good fried gator.

jack
March 22nd, 2010, 6:26 AM
Park across from entrance to cedargap boat ramp. Trimmier Creek runs under Chaparal and into the lake above the bridge

cityboy
March 22nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Then you can sell it to that new restaurant in Cove - Crawdaddy's. They have good fried gator.

So that new place is good, eh? On Avenue D, right?

CenTexDave
March 22nd, 2010, 11:24 AM
Yep, on Ave D. Cajun food. Some is very good, some I don't care for (which doesn't mean it's not good, just not my preference). Fried gator, fried frog legs, jambalaya, etc.
Pretty good stuff.

prideworks
March 22nd, 2010, 1:29 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of some I have caught from the creek!

Get the hot sauce!!:-)

Geno
March 25th, 2010, 5:21 PM
Anyone plan on catching any whites this weekend? If the wind calms down the Whites should be on a full run. With the full moon coming soon the Black Bass will be moving to there nesting spots. Should be good fishing for all species.

pioneer
March 26th, 2010, 10:06 AM
yeah the crappie should be getting shallow soon

Rick
March 26th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Since we're working Saturday, that leaves Sunday.

Maybe!

prideworks
March 26th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Since we're working Saturday, that leaves Sunday.

Maybe!

soak em' in milk, roll em' in crushed saltines,broil..........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Geno
March 27th, 2010, 6:16 AM
Sunday might be out if the winds are 20 mph as forecasted. Were is a good Crappie Hole located at??

pioneer
March 30th, 2010, 7:16 PM
:-) i heard the cars are biting on stillhouse right now i think they 11 keepers on sun

JoAnn Purser
March 31st, 2010, 5:40 AM
:-) i heard the cars are biting on stillhouse right now i think they 11 keepers on sun

We love them, lots of action, but we practice catch and release. :thumbsup

Geno
April 4th, 2010, 1:45 PM
Anyone catching any fish? I caught 4 whites and 10 Bluegill this weekend.

Rick
April 4th, 2010, 2:57 PM
You know my luck yesterday was bad. Son's GF hooked a nice one, but it didn't make it to the boat.