PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Squirrel

Yve
March 14th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I don't know much about squirrel so I wanted some input. Yesterday my husband was getting the mail when he heard some commotion. When he got closer to the house he saw a squirrel in attack mode--apparently the critter was trying to take on the neighbor's cat.

The cat freaked and ran to it's house. The squirrel then seemed to focus on my husband who was capturing this on his cell camera. The squirrel was moving from limb to limb with its back hunched, tail flailing and it was making horrible noises (not really growls, but definitely hostile sounding).

Here's what I'm concerned about--I'm not used to seeing squirrels act like this--I've seen them run away when faced by a predator, and definitely when faced with a human.

Is this typical? Is this a possible rabid squirrel? If this is something dangerous, what should we do next?

Thanks in advance...

CenTexDave
March 14th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Shoot it.

bytem
March 14th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Shoot it.

OMG,Dude seriously.:-0You can't just shoot everything!Well on second thought,you could,I guess.But this squirrel is just acting territorial,he is quite harmless and will stop this behavior soon.It could be a mamasquirrel with babys or maybe a territorial male(all bark and no bite, just like a male:))There are several of them on my property and nobody has ever been attacked or mauled,but ever so often the cat brings home a headless squirrelbody just to show it off.

kryptickancer
March 14th, 2010, 1:26 PM
IDK.. never seen a squirrel act that way.. I would shoot it just in case it was a rabid squirrel.

bytem
March 14th, 2010, 2:35 PM
A lot of people act REALLY weird.How about shooting them?:thumbsup

christine
March 14th, 2010, 3:12 PM
IDK.. never seen a squirrel act that way.. I would shoot it just in case it was a rabid squirrel.
it sounds like it's just being protective. probably has a nest of babies near by.

THEMEANOGRE
March 14th, 2010, 5:49 PM
IDK if squirrels can even get rabies, ask Dr Buckley. But, I agree that it probably was defending her young. Of course, ANY animal that is surprised and feels cornered WILL fight, at least until it feels as though they can safely get out of the situation.

Yve
March 14th, 2010, 6:38 PM
Thanks to all--I hadn't thought of a protective momma. I can't shoot it, nor would I want to. I'm a city girl so I wasn't sure what we were dealing with.

A lot of people act REALLY weird.How about shooting them?:thumbsup

Hey--I'm all for that. :))

Wireman
March 14th, 2010, 8:50 PM
Rabies can be carried by any mammal - but this isn't really the high season for it and it's not that common in tree dwellers. I'd bet $ it was a mother protecting her young. She will posture for a while after any confrontation (probably saw him as a threat like the cat), and eventually go back and check the nest. Don't sweat it, at around 10-12 weeks the young leave and try to find their own territory. When that happens make sure your attic is secure and run them off.