PDA

View Full Version : What I Like About Texas

Spartan
March 11th, 2010, 9:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Texas Immigrant
March 12th, 2010, 5:59 AM
Thanks for sharing. I've lived in Texas about 10 years now, and each year I like it a little more. Not sure that I'm ready to commit to saying "I Love Texas" or actually claiming it as my home, my heart is still up in the Pacific Northwest, but it's growing on me. There's hope for this Texas Immigrant.

njdevil
March 12th, 2010, 8:08 AM
I can say i loved Texas when i was. I regret the day i left 24 years ago. It's a long story why i have never come back. But i sure hope to get back there again someday before i die.

njdevil
March 12th, 2010, 8:09 AM
"when i was there" i meant to say.

Iteachtoo
March 12th, 2010, 8:18 AM
You mean, there are other states?:)

cityboy
March 12th, 2010, 8:46 PM
I am a Texas native, and have never lived anywhere else, for any extended period of time. It's hard to say why, but I don't think I'd wanna live anywhere else. I've considered it, but just thinking about it, I start missing Texas. It's just home, I guess ... :-B

Phantomwarrior
March 12th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Just to stir things up a bit, I've been a Texan for over a quarter century now, by choice. I came here and stayed, by choice. I will say it - I love Texas. I'm proud to be a Texan. In fact, I don't want to be anything but a Texan (no disrespect to other states intended - I'm an American first and foremost). What galls me is that some guy can cross the state line and enlist in the military in Texas but never really live here, yet he can latter get a free college education under the Texas Vet's program because enlisted or was commissioned in Texas. Yet, guys like me aren't entitled to that program. I'm not saying I should get it but I am saying if they can get it I damn sure ought to qualify before them. At least I made a commitment to this state, own property here, and pay my taxes here, and served several years here while in uniform. I made Texas my home. Those guys didn't.

It would be worth a trip to drive to Texas from anywhere in the continental Untied States to join the Army if you can get a free college education out of it. Then you can live off your GI Bill and let Texas pay your tuition. What a deal for any soldier who is in no other way a Texan and who has no intention of remaining in Texas after he graduates from college. It's a rip off to the Texas tax payer.

Hey, I'm over 60 now; I'm retired and I don't plan on going back to college but it's the principle of the thing that bugs me. Okay, I'm off my soap box now.

CenTexDave
March 12th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Great State. Great people who are proud of their State, its history and its future.
All states have something good about them (well, I have been to New Jersey so maybe not), but Texas just stands above them all.
Now that doesn't mean that I still don't root for my Ohio State Buckeyes. But the Horns are a close second.

Night Owl
March 12th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Native Texan. Army took me away at times but I always came HOME!!!

Spartan
March 13th, 2010, 8:41 AM
On those occasions when I have left Texas for some reason, each time I cross the frontier and see the sign "Welcome to Texas" I get a lump in my throat and joy in my heart. This state is my HOME. What makes it GREAT is the people.

getserious
March 13th, 2010, 3:18 PM
Born and raised.