PDA

View Full Version : Free Puppies

Texas Immigrant
February 20th, 2010, 5:58 PM
I volunteer with our church to help out a certain neighborhood in Killeen. As we were walking around today, we stopped and talked with one of the residents. Her dog and a litter of puppies and she wants to find good homes for them. They are Pitt/Rott mix. The cutest little puppies, and they need a good home. If you are interested, let send me a PM with a phone number to contact you and I'll have her get a hold of you. I wish we could take one, but we're barely able to afford the dogs we have now.

Scarlett
February 20th, 2010, 7:13 PM
Good luck...two dogs I will never own are Pitts and Rotts! So since this is a double strike I am out! I have no doubt they are the cutest puppies though!

Texas Immigrant
February 20th, 2010, 9:32 PM
I know those can both be aggressive dogs, I am just hoping that if they get a good start in a loving home early on, they won't be bad. One of the sweetest dogs I remember was a droolly rott.

Janet
February 21st, 2010, 4:24 PM
Good luck...two dogs I will never own are Pitts and Rotts! So since this is a double strike I am out! I have no doubt they are the cutest puppies though!
That makes two of us, Scarlett.

xzochye
February 23rd, 2010, 2:18 PM
I love Rotts! When raised the right way they can be the most loving animals. I know this from experience!

Scarlett
February 23rd, 2010, 3:45 PM
I dunno...a friend's son was killed by a very well trained, well loved Rott...and I know, I know, I know...shouldn't judge an entire breed by one experience...but I do!

THEMEANOGRE
February 23rd, 2010, 9:52 PM
To judge the breed, look at the animal's bonding tendency. Does the breed tend to bond with one person, or do they adopt to the "pack" (family) dynamic. The bonding thing is what makes chihuahuas popular with some people. The animal bonds to its principal master and basically tolerates everyone else, maybe.

Night Owl
February 24th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Ain't no such thing as a "free" dog.

engteach64
June 6th, 2010, 7:38 PM
When we lived at Fort Drum, in New York, I volunteered at the vet clinic on post. I worked with the adopt a pet program. We fell in love with a male beagle, and thought he'd be a good addition since we had a female beagle. He was practically comatose, so we called him Flash. When we got him home he lived up to his name. Loved the big yard, and loved us, but he was very skiddish since he was apparently abused.

The first time we left, he tore the house apart. I cried. It was horrible. He did this twice, then we started kenneling him. We kenneled him when we left the house, and he was fine. It took about six months of this before he calmed down. Now we can leave all day, and he does not need to be kenneled. He has finally become part of the family. It took three years before he would snuggle with us, and seemed to look like he was happy.

I am a firm believer that a loving home is all it takes to make a good dog. Unfortunately we live in a throw a way society, and dogs get thrown from one home to another. I hoep these puppies find good homes. I agree that they are not breeds I would want, especially since many insurance companies will not insure a home with those breeds, but I do hope they can find good homes.

Rotti_mama
June 6th, 2010, 8:11 PM
We have two Rotties and no problem with our insurance company.

engteach64
June 8th, 2010, 8:44 AM
State Farm, Allstate, and another I can't remember all would not insure us with a chow/cocker spaniel mix, and gave us the list of dogs they would not insure, and rottis, pits, chows, cocker spaniels, were all on the list.

Texas Immigrant
June 8th, 2010, 8:52 AM
We had a cocker/terrier mix she was sooooooo cute!! Her face reminded me of the dragon that was on "The Never Ending Story".

Rotti_mama
June 8th, 2010, 2:51 PM
State Farm, Allstate, and another I can't remember all would not insure us with a chow/cocker spaniel mix, and gave us the list of dogs they would not insure, and rottis, pits, chows, cocker spaniels, were all on the list.

State Farm was our first insurace. No problem with the dogs.
Then 2 years ago we switched to Germania.
We're happy with them and have better payments.:-)

engteach64
June 9th, 2010, 3:10 PM
Our chow/cocker mix was beautiful. She was reddish blonde, and a total fluff ball. When she blew her coat in the summer she looked like a little red fox. She was the best dog ever. I miss her still today, and it has been 5 years since she died.

olderthandirt
June 10th, 2010, 6:30 AM

Educate me here (as an owner of a cocker). Rottis, pits, and chows I can understand, as they have the reputation of being aggressive. But a cocker? All mine would do is wag you to death!

Night Owl
June 10th, 2010, 7:33 AM
Cockers are known as big nippers. I think they are in the Top 5 for dog bites.

Our cocker would lick a person to death before he ever thought of biting.

olderthandirt
June 10th, 2010, 7:44 AM
Thanks for the info. Yeah, mine would lick a person to death as well - after wagging and then peeing on the floor from excitement!

Night Owl
June 10th, 2010, 8:00 AM
We got ours at a puppy from a family in CC. "Champ" traveled the world with us and was the best pup I have ever had. He would curl up against anyone who would let him. One of my Battalion Commander's almost took him from us in Germany. That pup loved that guy for some reason.

Deb
June 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Allstate was my insurance company for just over 5 years. Cancelled them when they doubled my homeowners insurance from $852/year to $1704/year for no reason. Never had a claim. I have had a cocker spaniel now for over 10 years with no problems. Farmers, Allstate, American Family, and State Farm have all said they would not insure me if I had a pit bull. That is the one breed I don't trust no matter how well they're treated.

engteach64
June 11th, 2010, 3:59 PM
We were told Cocker spaniels were biters, and destroyed homes. Our chow/cocker mix was well behaved, but if she didn't know you and you tried to come in our house, she would tear your leg off if given the chance. Chows are very territorial with their owner. They bond with one main person and protect for life.

As to Allstate, our homeowners started at around 450, then doubled the next year, then doubled a couple years later. No claims, nothing. We had them for 7 years, then our home in New York flooded. We had about a 10,000 dollar claim. We sold the house, and 2 years later Allstate cancelled our insurance on our Iowa house. It was rediculous. Just out of the blue. We changed our homeowners and vehicle insurance from Allstate.

Night Owl
June 11th, 2010, 4:55 PM
If you are military you can't beat USAA.

beenateacher4ever
June 12th, 2010, 6:12 PM
I have been with farm bureau for 14 years and they have been very reasonable and great on any claims I have had.

secretary
June 13th, 2010, 7:51 PM
My family owned a rottie (Shadow) and he was wonderful with us but absolutely HORRIBLE with strangers. We never raised him to be aggressive but for some reason, he could never get along with others. Although my mother adored him, she was always a little afraid that he could lash out.

I remember one day my uncle and cousin (who was probably 4 at the time) were visiting. We were all carrying on a conversation and, at some point, we noticed my little cousin making "karate sounds"...."HI-YAH, KE-YAH!" We found him in the kitchen practicing karate moves on Shadow (he even managed to kick him in the head) :ohmy:.

Well, that dog took every karate kick and move with the patience that only truly good dogs can seem to muster. It nearly gave my mom a heart-attack. From that moment on though, she knew she could trust him around the family....but never around strangers. I miss Shadow!

We had a Yorkie too....now HE was a nippy little bastard, but we loved him too!