PDA

View Full Version : Globe Trotters/ Cove High

THEMEANOGRE
January 20th, 2010, 1:06 PM
My mother just called. She says the Harlem Globetrotters are going to be in the area and will be playing an exhibition game versus a team of local talent at Copperas Cove High School on Tuesday 23 February 2010. Tickets are $5. I don't care for professional sports but the "Trotters" are so much fun to watch. I'm going. Is anyone else up for it?

CenTexDave
January 20th, 2010, 3:20 PM
Is this the original Harlem Globetrotters? Last year they had some make believe "Globetrotters" here and did the same thing - play a team of locals. I didn't go to it, but talked to some who did and said it was good, but not great. Of course for $5 it's probably a couple of hours to good entertainment.
The original Globetrotters were great. They used to tour with a team called the Washington Nationals. Of course it was all rehearsed and timing, but it was hilarious.

cityboy
January 21st, 2010, 1:47 PM
I looked on the Globetrotters website, and their schedule does not include Copperas Cove. Why would they play in a high school gym for $5 a seat, when they play everywhere else in arenas?

christine
January 21st, 2010, 1:52 PM
I love them when I was a kid. hope it's the real ones. I can't wait till my son is old enough to see them.

Night Owl
January 21st, 2010, 2:13 PM
What is Bubba blind?

christine
January 21st, 2010, 2:34 PM
lol I mean when he's old enough to know what is going on.

I think he's going to be into sports he already likes football...but last weekends cowboy game was too much he couldn't stand to see anymore.

Night Owl
January 21st, 2010, 4:18 PM
I see you are raising him right!!!!!

THEMEANOGRE
January 21st, 2010, 8:17 PM
I don't believe it is THE Globetrotters. Just like the A-B Clydesdale team, the organization has several touring "B" teams. They come round to play the smaller venues and give the players a little seasoning with the Globetrotter flavor of basketball showmanship.
However, the REAL Harlem Globetrotters will be playing at the Ferrell Center at Baylor on the 9th of February.

christine
January 22nd, 2010, 8:10 AM
I see you are raising him right!!!!!
I didn't really have a choice his daddy is a fan. I thought it funny that he pee'd on the Texas Rangers outfit the first time he wore it. lol

and yeah OM I think your right. they certainly have "B" teams.

Night Owl
January 22nd, 2010, 8:27 AM
When I was a kid the "real" Globetrotters came to small towns to perform. I guess they think they are too important now.

THEMEANOGRE
January 22nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Dave, the real story is the gameplay is real, it is NOT rehearsed. The Generals(the opponent team) has actually won at least one game in their history with the Trotters. Go to SI and look up an article by Abe Saperstein, longtime coach and former player of the Generals. I especially liked his tale about playing a game in a muddy German field for the US Army on a plywood court held up by beerkegs.

Phantomwarrior
February 1st, 2010, 12:35 AM
My mother just called. She says the Harlem Globetrotters are going to be in the area and will be playing an exhibition game versus a team of local talent at Copperas Cove High School on Tuesday 23 February 2010. Tickets are $5. I don't care for professional sports but the "Trotters" are so much fun to watch. I'm going. Is anyone else up for it?

Can you verify this? I'd love to take my granddaughters to this. How can I get tickets? When and where do they go on sale?

THEMEANOGRE
February 1st, 2010, 2:15 AM
I heard about it from my mother. I suppose you could check at the Chamber of Commerce, maybe the high school athletic department. I have no idea where my mother was when she got my ticket.

Gramps
February 1st, 2010, 6:01 AM
According to the schedule published on the Globetrotters web site, they are not playing in Copperas Cove or anywhere else in Texas on February 23. See http://www.harlemglobetrotters.com/schedule/tix/?location=tx.

THEMEANOGRE
February 1st, 2010, 6:16 AM
I'm guessing my mother just didn't know what she was talking about. It wouldn't be the first time. After all she is 70. Maybe some exhibition team is coming. Oh well, sorry folks! They are playing Tuesday, 02 February 10 at the Ferrell Center in Waco.

lovinlife
February 1st, 2010, 8:09 PM
It is actually the Harlem Ambassadors--they were here last year also. Their schedule says they will be at Copperas Cove High School on 23rd. I'm sure you can buy tickets through the chamber or at the door. Here is a link to their website: http://www.harlemambassadors.com/

THEMEANOGRE
February 1st, 2010, 8:11 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.

lovinlife
February 1st, 2010, 8:14 PM
No problem! I took my kids last year to see the Globetrotters in Waco, and then the Ambassadors here in Cove. Of course, if we hadn't already seen the Globetrotters, we would have been more impressed with the Ambassadors-but it was good entertainment at a low cost, and no hour-long drive! :)