PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Software Sneak Preview

Rick
December 25th, 2009, 6:44 AM
For the past couple of months, we have been testing the Beta version of the of the forum software.

Well, they have released the public, stable version and I want to give you all an advanced look at it. I will not upgrade this site until a couple of modifications are written. Most notedly, the Iphone modification. It should be done soon.

It is on a test site at:
http://www.centextalk.com/forums

The above link will take you to the content management page. This is the default setup and I will have to learn how to use it before the upgrade here.

This link:
http://www.centextalk.com/forum/forum.php

Will take you directly to the forum. I didn't take the time to add all the categories that are on this forum since it is just a test. Anything posted there will be deleted.

This software also comes with a Blog feature. We have not discussed how we will allow for its use, but if someone wants to test it, let me know and I will set it up for you to do so.

You can either sign up using a username. I have disabled the email verification, so all you have to do is register a username and password and you will be all set.

You can also use the test account I set up.

Username: Test
Password: test

Let me know what you think of it.

Rick

CenTexDave
December 25th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I don't know about this, but Merry Christmas Rick.

Rick
December 25th, 2009, 11:23 AM
What don't you like about it?

Merry Christmas to you too.

Great weather today!

Scarlett
December 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I told ya not everyone is good with change...lol.
The question is...is this change they can believe in?

Rick
December 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Oh, I know. We certainly learned that when we went to this software. The new software is the same company, so the same quality goes into it.

I don't like the look of it. The default colors are just not the greatest. But people create different templates, so we can decide on something better. Maybe even use several for people to choose from.

CenTexDave
December 25th, 2009, 3:19 PM
Thank you, Scarlett.
The last change the American public bought into was.........................!

THEMEANOGRE
December 25th, 2009, 3:40 PM
Some of us aren't CAVErs. Some of us oppose change for its own sake. If something is actually broke or something can be made substantially better, then change can be a good thing.

Night Owl
December 25th, 2009, 6:12 PM
Checked it out and listed a few problem areas I found and a couple of limits that we currently don't have.

Rick
December 25th, 2009, 6:43 PM
Thanks NO.

Here's the response I put there.

The smilies will all convert when I do the upgrade on Centextalk.com

The number of images is a setting that will convert also. I didn't go through the trouble setting it up. This is just a quick "check out the new stuff" install.

Don't know what's up with the registration, I was able to do it with the Test account this morning.

Thanks for checking it out NO.

njdevil
December 26th, 2009, 9:38 AM
I like what's already in place. I vote to keep this one.

kryptickancer
December 27th, 2009, 1:31 AM
Why cant you set up it up so that we can choose which format we like best? I went to a website once that let you pick how you want it too look. The way you have it now, tree form and something else. You also got to pick your colors..

Rick
December 27th, 2009, 3:15 AM
I could do that. The bad part about doing that is that when I have to apply an update or add a modification that requires changes to the template code, I have to apply it to all of them and that often has to be done manually since the styles are written differently, and that is a hassle. But I can give it a try.

You can choose the display mode in th eupper right hand corner. Threaded or linear. Is that what you mean by tree form?

christine
December 27th, 2009, 7:17 AM
Rick I have a question will the changes effect the iPhone app that you resently added?? or will just be a simple update for the app that will happen automatically?

circle_c
December 27th, 2009, 7:55 AM
Had trouble trying to register Maybe it's me... will take some getting used to ....

Rick
December 27th, 2009, 8:28 AM
Rick I have a question will the changes effect the iPhone app that you resently added?? or will just be a simple update for the app that will happen automatically?
I won't install the upgrade until the Iphone app is done. I did install a mobile stye for this one this morning. You can try it in your browser and see how you like it, or if it works at all. It isn't too bad on th eBlackberry.

Had trouble trying to register Maybe it's me... will take some getting used to ....
You're the secon one who told me that, so it must not be just you. I'll check it out.

Gramps
December 27th, 2009, 8:56 AM
I just registered with no problem. Will post my perceptions after I have had a chance to explore the new software a little.

Rick
December 27th, 2009, 9:10 AM
Ya, thanks Gramps. I think the problem people are having will be with the image verification.

I just made a blog post. Not sure about that or the contenet management system. Implementing them all at once may be a bit too much for me to try to master...LOL

Rick
January 3rd, 2010, 5:21 AM
I read that the Iphone upgrade will be completed soon. Almost all of the other updates have been completed and I will install and test them before I upgrade this site.

Since I hate the default style, I have installed several different style templates. I may go with two of them.

I will post a poll and see what you all like as the favorites.

Rick
January 8th, 2010, 6:05 AM
A little update on the upgrade.

The Iphone app for the new version is done. Tapatalk is going to be releasing a Blackberry modification in the next 30 days. I won't wait on that to get done.

I have decided to go with the Fluid Blue style. I may add another one, who knows.

My 2 cents
January 22nd, 2010, 4:43 PM
Rick,

I can't get to the site at all!? All I did was click on the links in the beginning of this thread...is there something else I should be doing?

Here's the text of the error:

The requested URL /vb4/content.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.hiddenarrowstables.com Port 80

Night Owl
January 22nd, 2010, 4:45 PM
Did you get on your knees and bow four times to the South and ask the Mighty Rick to allow you access? If not you are SOL!!!!!:)):)):))

Rick
January 22nd, 2010, 4:54 PM
Ya, I moved it to this domain. Reinstalled it, so none of the usernames exist.

If you want to check the progress, it's now at www.centextalk.com/forums.

I have a lot left to do before I am ready to upgrade this. You may get a database error or two. I don't have a lot of time to work on it. A few things are slowing me down.

I have three styles but probably will tweak the Blues Fluid to my liking.

My 2 cents
January 22nd, 2010, 5:33 PM
Did you get on your knees and bow four times to the South and ask the Mighty Rick to allow you access? If not you are SOL!!!!!:)):)):))

Dang!! I thought I was forgetting something!! Sheeesh...funny 'lil bird, aren't you? :)

Ya, I moved it to this domain. Reinstalled it, so none of the usernames exist.

If you want to check the progress, it's now at www.centextalk.com/forums.

I have a lot left to do before I am ready to upgrade this. You may get a database error or two. I don't have a lot of time to work on it. A few things are slowing me down.

I have three styles but probably will tweak the Blues Fluid to my liking.

No problem. Thanks Rick.

Night Owl
January 23rd, 2010, 2:26 PM
Dang!! I thought I was forgetting something!! Sheeesh...funny 'lil bird, aren't you? :)

I try at times