PDA

View Full Version : Cat throwing up

buddygus
December 12th, 2009, 5:33 PM
My cat that we got from a shelter throws up almost everyday, just once, but it's too much. We got two cats from them at the same time and the other never throws up. We've tried a few different foods and it just changes the color, not the amount of mess. Any suggestions?

Spartan
December 12th, 2009, 9:38 PM
I have the same problem with my cat. He eats only Iams hairball control forumula but throws up at least every other day. I was told it was hairballs but there are no hair in the vomit.

buddygus
December 13th, 2009, 3:54 AM
She has no hairballs either, just eaten food and liquid.

Sunshine
December 13th, 2009, 4:25 AM
I would suggest taking her to the vet if she is throwing up everyday. Does it appear that she is losing weight? My cat Bella was throwing up eaten food and liquid for a while and it was discovered that she had cancer. I hope nothing that serious is going on. At first they thought she was just having hairballs that just were stuck, which maybe the case and you can give her the hairball remedy that comes out of the tube everyday that they sell at the vet or at a chain pet place. It wasn't until they did an ultrasound that they found a mass in her colon that we figured out the cause.

kryptickancer
December 13th, 2009, 1:43 PM
I had a cat that threw up everyday. It was my mother in laws. He was fine. He threw up spit sorta.. It was problems with hairballs. I wouldn't be too worried about it unless he'snot eating or drinking or appears to be losing weight.
Have you tried buying a hairball medicine? It come's in a tube and looks like brown colored stuff. It has vitamins as well as the stuff to help with the hairballs. Worked wonders for helping my kitty get the hairballs out, and not throw up as often.

buddygus
December 13th, 2009, 3:30 PM
She's a pig and eats well, nice and fat. It's food she's throwing up.

kryptickancer
December 13th, 2009, 3:52 PM
She's a pig and eats well, nice and fat. It's food she's throwing up.

When did you get her from the shelter? If it was recently, she might still be gorging herself because she's worried about not getting food. If my fat cat eats too much he pukes up. Let's see, Bourbon is about 15lbs and throws up probably every other day. lol.. I hope Dr. Buckley gets here soon. I hope the suggestions help you. It's gross cleaning it up!:))

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
December 13th, 2009, 9:44 PM
I would have this cat examined by your veterinarian. Vomiting can be a symptom of many different things, some very minor and some very severe. With a shelter cat, we don't have the luxury of having much historical info on the cat so a thorough exam will be necessary to determine what is causing the problem.

FieryPrincess
December 19th, 2009, 9:13 AM
My cats will do this if they eat too much too quickly.

My cats aren't hurting for food even though they get a regulated amount. The little one is about 11 pounds and the bigger is still pushing 17 pounds. We put him on a diet but he is a big cat. His feral dad cat was a monster sized cat too.