PDA

View Full Version : Rocky

THEMEANOGRE
November 15th, 2009, 12:54 PM
He's not really a pet, but we inherited "Rocky" when we bought the house a few years ago. Rocky is the yard squirrel. He runs all over the back yard, doing squirrel things. This season, he's gathering pecans for the winter. Just a little bit ago, I was outside getting a breath of "real air" (ref: Crimson Tide). Sitting there minding my business, when Rocky scampers down the pecan tree with a nut in his jaws. He makes a bee line toward me. When he within easy reach, I clap my hands together. He stops in his tracks. I clap them again and he jerks around roughly 90 degrees to his left. One more clap sends him across the pool deck and over the privacy fence. Such a silly creature.

Scarlett
November 15th, 2009, 1:15 PM
I had a pet squirrel once...he lived in the tree in front of our house in whatever tiny town we lived in when I was about 4. His name was Charlie. Charlie used to come eat bread or whatever out of our hands...

One day dead Charlie was in the road.

I refer to all dead squirrels in the road as dead Charlies still to this day....

Spartan
November 15th, 2009, 1:43 PM
Slow Cooked Squirrel

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 8 Hours
Ready In: 8 Hours 20 Minutes
Servings: 6

"This stew recipe is so easy that you can go to work while it simmers in your crockpot and when you return home, dinner is ready."

INGREDIENTS:

2-3 squirrels - skinned, gutted, and cut into pieces
4 large potatoes, quartered
1 pound carrots, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 onions, sliced
2 cups water
1/4 medium head cabbage
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS:

In a slow cooker, place the squirrel meat, potatoes, carrots, green bell pepper, onions, water, cabbage, salt and ground black pepper.

Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.

THEMEANOGRE
November 15th, 2009, 2:48 PM
Actually, Spartan, I would prefer mine roasted over a campfire.
But, I'd take a 50/ 50 mix of hive fresh honey and Pace(c) Mild Picante sauce and a capful of Liquid Smoke and slather it on while roasting.
I really hate leaving anything cook unattended.
Scarlett, a regular at the restaurant found a nearly dead baby squirrel at his home. Bottle fed it, and raised it until it ran off and found herself a littleboy squirrel.
My mother tells a story about taming a squirrel for my dad at Ft Myer.

Spartan
November 15th, 2009, 7:11 PM
I can eat mine without having to use my dentures.

Your receipe sounds too good not to try though. I will have to substitute hive-fresh honey for store-baught though.

Scarlett
November 15th, 2009, 7:19 PM
We used to eat squirrel all the time...does that prove that I am "country" yet?

CenTexDave
November 15th, 2009, 7:34 PM
Squirrels around here wouldn't make a decent hors d'oeurve.

cityboy
November 16th, 2009, 6:51 AM
Congrats on the spelling, brother Dave! (did you have to look it up?) :-B

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
November 16th, 2009, 8:54 AM
Scarlett wrote:

We used to eat squirrel all the time...does that prove that I am "country" yet?

It's official Scarlett! Hell, Reba and Gretchen Wilson ain't got nuttin' on you, gal.

CenTexDave
November 16th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Congrats on the spelling, brother Dave! (did you have to look it up?) :-B

No, but first spelled it wrong and realized it didn't look right so I changed it!:)