PDA

View Full Version : Tragedy at Second Chance

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
November 1st, 2009, 6:38 PM
I wanted to let the members of this forum know that the Second Chance Pet Adoption Center suffered a tragic fire early Sunday morning. Apparently the fire started in the kitchen/meeting areas and many cats and small dogs perished in the blaze. The larger dogs were housed on the other side of the building and many survived. Special thanks to my colleagues at Pet Medical Center in Harker Heights for going out and evaluating the survivors and tending to their needs. Also, Killeen Animal Control provided so much support as well. As usual, our firefighters and first responders should be thanked for their efforts.

Cen-Tex Humane Society, the operators of Second Chance, will need our help over the next few weeks as they attempt to get through this. I'm sure that once again our community will rally to the aid of those in need.

Phantomwarrior
November 1st, 2009, 6:51 PM
I wanted to let the members of this forum know that the Second Chance Pet Adoption Center suffered a tragic fire early Sunday morning. Apparently the fire started in the kitchen/meeting areas and many cats and small dogs perished in the blaze. The larger dogs were housed on the other side of the building and many survived. Special thanks to my colleagues at Pet Medical Center in Harker Heights for going out and evaluating the survivors and tending to their needs. Also, Killeen Animal Control provided so much support as well. As usual, our firefighters and first responders should be thanked for their efforts.

Cen-Tex Humane Society, the operators of Second Chance, will need our help over the next few weeks as they attempt to get through this. I'm sure that once again our community will rally to the aid of those in need.

OMG! This breaks my heart.

FieryPrincess
November 1st, 2009, 7:13 PM
Likewise.

Can someone post their official address here?

Rick
November 1st, 2009, 7:15 PM
For those who read this section and don't read the Killeen section, here is a discussion that has been going on there.

Early morning fire at the 2nd Chance shelter (http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4717).

Feel free to duplicate the needs of the shelter or any information in both sections.

5501 Clear Creek Rd.
Killeen, TX 76549
254-526-6200 <---No phone at this time.

www.centexhumanesociety.com
Has a donation page.

engteach64
November 2nd, 2009, 7:43 AM
I agree, the community did step up, especially the military. I received an email around 9:00 AM, and headed over. There were so many people there. When I was leaving they said there were 15 soldiers on the way to help with the clean up.

As I was there they had 2 rooms closed off with vets (I think that is what I heard), and they were taking care of all the animals. They animals I was around were so scared. I am pretty proud of how this community stepped up for stray and/or abandoned animals.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind if people went and adopted some of those animals for ever. Think about it, if you volunteer to foster some animals, could you maybe keep one? You know you'll get attached, so why not make it permanent. Think about it, but don't do it if you aren't willing to make a commitment.

THEMEANOGRE
November 2nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
I agree with everybody thus far, the community DID step up to be counted. My mother is planning to take over some bedding materials that we have on hand.

MeinLieberSchollie62
November 2nd, 2009, 11:40 AM
I am trying to organize some friends and get together either a cash donation or supplies, food etc.
I have a small zoo myself so fostering is pretty much out but I am sure that we can help in some way .....
this really breaks my heart, having lost a pet to a fire also .... I take animals over humans any day ......
which is a sad statement about todays humanity ......
or maybe I am just nutty ....

beenateacher4ever
November 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
I think it would be good if the community could step up and help raise funds necessary for some kind of alarm system in case of fire or smoke that would alert the fire department when there are no humans there to maybe help minimize the heartbreak in the future. I am devasted by the news. As are my students. I have one dog that I got from the shelter and several more pets and they are all my family. My heart goes out to those who work at the shelter what they have had to deal with I know is totally heartbreaking. I plan to help in any way that I can and I have many students who want to get involved and do their part as well.

poundpup
November 2nd, 2009, 9:07 PM
Thank you all for your comments. Another day draws to a close and things look relatively good. Donations have been pouring in online and at the shelter. Right now we are looking for a sprinkler system and a fire alarm to be installed when the building is new and improved.

The insurance company was at the shelter today, and assessed the damage. We don't have a final report yet.

The staff is still devastated over the loss of all the animals, but everybody keeps on working and charging ahead despite their heart ache. My heart goes out to them. I cannot imagine the giant hole that is left by all these animals that perished.

We keep the website up to date centexhumanesociety.com (http://centexhumanesociety.com). I try to update at least twice a day, or when their are any changes or new needs or news.

Thank you all for caring.

Liz Rainey

yetanotherteacher
November 2nd, 2009, 11:45 PM
My heart was broken when I heard the horrible news. I recently began getting involved with volunteering with my daughter. We spent a couple of weekends volunteering at 2nd Chance, and plan on continuing in the future. We loved caring for the animals, especially the cats. There were so many really friendly, lovable, rubbing, purring kitties just waiting to be adopted. They would have made many families very happy. For what it is worth, while they all were down on their luck and discarded by their original owners, they were about as comfortable as possible and spent their days chilling out with each other. They loved getting visitors, and I witnessed so many people come through the cat rooms petting and talking to them.

poundpup
November 3rd, 2009, 7:03 AM
I have updated the list on the website (centexhumanesociety.com)

As it stands right now, here it is:

PDATE Nov. 3, 2009 - 6:45 a.m.

Needs at this time:

With a new day, we will need volunteers again, since not everybody can return day after day.
Cleanup is still underway, so dress in old and comfortable clothes when you come out to the shelter. Hours for volunteers are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

On the list of items we need are: large totes, 30 lb trashbags, HE detergent, Fabuloso cleaner, and 10x12 tarps,paper towels
Nobody requested it, but lunch for the volunteers is also tremendously appreciated :)
The project for next week should be painting, so if that is something you would like to help with, please come out next week (Nov.8 ~)
We also need material for a sprinkler system and for a fire alarm that covers the whole building and connects to 911.
We have someone who has enough items collected to hold a yard sale fundraiser, but she needs someone to organize it for her. Please contact Liz Rainey (webmaster@centexhumanesociety.com) if you are interested in making arrangements for a fundraiser yard sale.

And as always... keep checking the website. I don't anticipate too many needs changes now... just cleaners (non-ammonia), latex (or non-latex) gloves (the thin throw away kind). If you want to buy laundry detergent, it has to be the HE kind because the regular detergent is not recommended for their wash machine.

And as always, thank you all kindly.