PDA

View Full Version : Help - Need to find a good daycare

jeepnbeep
October 30th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I need a daycare for a 2 year old preferably in the Killeen area.

I have been checking quite a few the last few weeks but have been unsuccessful and quite disappointed.

If you are recommending one, please let me know what you like about them and if you have personal experience.

Thanks

babyblue
October 31st, 2009, 2:24 PM
I use Creative Child Learning Arts Academy for my child. He is 3 and has attended since he was 12 months. My daughter also attended for Pre-K. They have an excellent curriculum and the teachers in the 2 year old classes are great. They just received their certification in the TEAM project which is a program that teaches them how to best teach children. The teachers attend weekly classes in the evening and are evaluated by the center, KISD, and the University of Texas. My daughter was more than ready for Kindergarten after attending there.

The down side I have found is they do switch the teachers around more than I like and they are a little expensive. However, every teacher my children have had has been good and the experiences they are give are worth the money.

The center offers music, PE, Spanish, and tumbling for the 2 year old class. When they move up to the 3 year old class they also have Art, Computers, and dance. Tumbling and dance/tap are done through A&K Dance studio. The cost is $150 supply fee due at enrollment and then every August and $550 a month for tuition. The director is a former Kindergarten teacher. They are located on 190 by Skylark airport.

secretary
November 1st, 2009, 3:00 PM
My son has been with Bethel Temple Daycare since he was about 4 months old (he is now 20 months). I LOVE the people who work there and they adore my son. Unlike babyblue, I am not aware of the curriculum yet because he is still in the early 2's class. I know they are beginning the fundamentals (drawing, learning letters, etc.).

The only thing that some parents might not like is that they are into religion/praying (Christianity) and the teachers don't take any crap (which I prefer :thumbsup).

There was one parent whom I worked with who absolutely hated their discipline methods (which involves timeouts and firm verbal responses to bad behavior). She thought they were too hard on the kids....in the same sentence she then told me her young son and daughter talk back to her and completely disrespect her. :doh

The center gives the option of paying weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly. You can PM me if you'd like further info.

jeepnbeep
November 2nd, 2009, 9:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I am going to check it out and maybe check some other ones. I would hate to take my kid out at his current daycare and then put him back.

siamcat
November 3rd, 2009, 5:47 PM
I'm really not trying to be controversial, but that sounds like quite a curriculum for 2 and 3 year olds. Whatever happened to reading to them, some fun play-doh/finger painting, playing with blocks, going outside, and other activities that used to be done?
One suggestion, if I were looking for day care I would go in and observe the daycare for a few hours on top of a tour. If the day care doesn't want you to observe stay away.

VooDooBaby
November 3rd, 2009, 6:19 PM
I want to find a daycare that has tons of webcams so I, my husband, or my mother can log on and see what is going on at any given time. And no, I don't want a place that has a webcam facing the front door to see who comes and goes, I'm talking like at a bank.... I'd pay extra to have my kiddo in a place like that.

joyohjoy
November 3rd, 2009, 6:37 PM
VooDoo if you need anyone to take care of your four legged child let me know. She/he would fit right in with my two Boston's. Soooo cute!!

VooDooBaby
November 3rd, 2009, 6:55 PM
Haha! Thanks!

jeepnbeep
November 3rd, 2009, 7:47 PM
I want to find a daycare that has tons of webcams so I, my husband, or my mother can log on and see what is going on at any given time. And no, I don't want a place that has a webcam facing the front door to see who comes and goes, I'm talking like at a bank.... I'd pay extra to have my kiddo in a place like that.

I know Children's Tree House at Trimmier has the web cam capability. I am considering them as well.They have a good curriculum and the owner is very knowledgeable. However, the rooms were kind of small.

babyblue
November 3rd, 2009, 8:47 PM
You should also check out this website. It lists all of the past inspections, any complaints, etc. that the state has for all registered child care facilities.

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Care/Search_Texas_Child_Care/ppFacilitySearchDayCare.asp

FieryPrincess
November 4th, 2009, 8:33 PM
My problem with CCLAA was that they had problems with an active child that couldn't sit still for long periods of time and work quietly. Not the forte of your average 2 or 3 year old boy.

The lady up front can rub you the wrong way easily (if it was the same one). I once was inquiring about an item that had gone home accidentally with another child I was told that they couldn't ask the parent and that I was S.O.L. (seriously - that is a quote). Then there was the verbal sparring match a day or so later where she had to tell me that didn't call me a *itch and that she had a witness to that effect.

My response was "No, never said you did. You did tell me I was SOL which I didn't feel was appropriate to say to a parent".

Lovely.

I ripped my child out of there and took him to a grandparents for a week until Christmas break hit and I could move him.

Actually, my daughter had amazing experiences at Education Connection, but the best time my son had was at Heights Learning Center where Indian Trails meets 2410. One of my middle schoolers had been there when he was smaller and he felt the same way. It doesn't look like much, but those kids are cared for as much in there as they would be in your own home.

jeepnbeep
November 6th, 2009, 7:44 PM
You should also check out this website. It lists all of the past inspections, any complaints, etc. that the state has for all registered child care facilities.

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Care/Search_Texas_Child_Care/ppFacilitySearchDayCare.asp

Thanks. I have been looking at this website for quite some time. Do you think the reporting is bias. Some of the daycares I have visited had almost no deficiencies but the actual place looked awful.

babyblue
November 6th, 2009, 8:57 PM
The places are checked for different things depending on when they are due inspection. I would look at the website for anything they may have found an issue with but always go look at the place and go with your gut first. I use it to see what places I don't want to even bother with looking at based on the inspections, then go from there. Some places may look great but have less than my expectations in reports. I use both the reports and my personal observations to make my choices.

Sqwirlsgirl
November 12th, 2009, 4:58 AM
I really don't have ANY experience looking at daycare possibilities (mine are all grown up) BUT I would like to relay something I witnessed just a few days ago. I have been casually looking for a part time job, something to get me out of the house and off the couch. I applied at a local daycare (how fun would that be I thought). My appt was at 10:30 the director showed up at 11:00 so I had LOTS of time to observe. It was messy....but I get that. Then all of a sudden one of them yells "STATES coming" and clean up was done in haste. Diapers were changed, songs were sung then the director showed up for my interview (that she double booked). Before she took me in she yelled out, she has curly red hair and let me know as soon as she shows up!! Just a thought BUT if you are worried about "THE STATE" something might be wrong here. PLEASE sit for a few hours in the daycare you are considering.......it makes a world of difference

stormy
November 13th, 2009, 1:13 PM
My daughter was at Education Connection from about 16 months old until she was about 9, and my son from 2 months old to around 6-8 months until they closed the nursery part of the daycare. Overall, I'd say I was pleased with the care they got there.

My son is now at a home day care with a lady we've known for years. It's like he's at "Grandma's house". PM me if you'd like her name.

jeepnbeep
November 22nd, 2009, 1:06 AM
I really don't have ANY experience looking at daycare possibilities (mine are all grown up) BUT I would like to relay something I witnessed just a few days ago. I have been casually looking for a part time job, something to get me out of the house and off the couch. I applied at a local daycare (how fun would that be I thought). My appt was at 10:30 the director showed up at 11:00 so I had LOTS of time to observe. It was messy....but I get that. Then all of a sudden one of them yells "STATES coming" and clean up was done in haste. Diapers were changed, songs were sung then the director showed up for my interview (that she double booked). Before she took me in she yelled out, she has curly red hair and let me know as soon as she shows up!! Just a thought BUT if you are worried about "THE STATE" something might be wrong here. PLEASE sit for a few hours in the daycare you are considering.......it makes a world of difference

Do you mind sharing what daycare this was? Thanks.