PDA

View Full Version : Is This What You Want on Here?

CenTexDave
October 22nd, 2009, 9:28 PM
From a poster, from another site, that used to post on here frequently with some good info:

"I think CenTexTalk has taken mandated 'friendliness' to the point that it has stifled rational discussion. For that reason, I have no further use for it"

Rick
October 22nd, 2009, 9:58 PM
I don't seem to recall any mandated friendliness. I must have missed that memo. But I am still out of town and haven't checked the "Memo Inbox".

If someone has a problem with us and doesn't want to discuss it with us, there is not much one can do about it.

Charles Grubb
October 23rd, 2009, 5:32 AM
I don't seem to recall any mandated friendliness. I must have missed that memo. But I am still out of town and haven't checked the "Memo Inbox".

If someone has a problem with us and doesn't want to discuss it with us, there is not much one can do about it.

Try this link:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/waco-tx/TRKH1GL5141RSOCHE/p2

Rick
October 23rd, 2009, 5:47 AM
Well, I hope they are happy there. Topix will probably let Dagobert post all the disfigured body pics and use irrelevant pictures to tell all the stories he wants. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

The funny thing is, we had at least one person leave the forum Sunday because we did not do enough, Dagobert leaves because we did too much.

Go figure.

Charles Grubb
October 23rd, 2009, 5:50 AM
Well, I hope they are happy there. Topix will probably let Dagobert post all the disfigured body pics and use irrelevant pictures to tell all the stories he wants. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

The funny thing is, we had at least one person leave the forum Sunday because we did not do enough, Dagobert leaves because we did too much.

Go figure.
No matter how many love you, a lot more seem to hate you.

Scarlett
October 23rd, 2009, 6:47 AM
I many never sleep again now...
:crying

TheOldProgrammer
October 23rd, 2009, 7:47 AM

Go figure.

It's a fact of life Rick that you can't please everybody and you'd go crazy trying... 8-;

From the looks of Topix; there is absolutely no control so Dagobert should be in heaven now... :smoke

CenTexDave
October 23rd, 2009, 8:55 AM
Try this link:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/waco-tx/TRKH1GL5141RSOCHE/p2

better yet use the Copperas Cove link for Cove topics:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/copperas-cove-tx

Scarlett
October 23rd, 2009, 9:18 AM
Even better...use this forum? Just a thought...haha.

Night Owl
October 23rd, 2009, 9:58 AM
I am friends with EVERYONE. I just don't like some of their positions on some topics.

CenTexDave
October 23rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Me, too.

CenTexDave
October 23rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Even better...use this forum? Just a thought...haha.

I was merely pointing out you didn't have to go to Topix.Waco to use the forum for Killeen or Cove.
Of course we use this forum. Owl and I have to give you something to rant and rave about!! :)

Night Owl
October 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
"mom Dave. We just like to keep things interesting. No harm or as the old saying goes in basketball, "No blood, No foul!"

Rick
October 23rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
I many never sleep again now...
:crying
Maybe that's why the docs are so quick to prescribe Ambien for us.

better yet use the Copperas Cove link for Cove topics:

Better????? wahaahahwaaahaa

CenTexDave
October 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
Maybe that's why the docs are so quick to prescribe Ambien for us.

Better????? wahaahahwaaahaa

Not much gets posted on here about Cove. Over on Topix's Cove board I get to harass Peterson and the other city power brokers.

stormy
October 23rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
I just clicked the link to the Topix forum to see what was said. Wow, really? Those posts about those boys in county jail was so informative. Oh, and I'm just dying to read what "outta bell county" and "done my time" post next.:poke

Agent X
October 23rd, 2009, 4:14 PM
I can't believe that in this world today folks are maligned for not being rude enough, belligerent enough or slanderous enough.

Hey Clowns at Topix, your mom's calling from upstairs and it's time to eat!

Go Rick
Go Scarlett

Rick
October 23rd, 2009, 4:28 PM
Not much gets posted on here about Cove. Over on Topix's Cove board I get to harass Peterson and the other city power brokers.
Does Copperas Cove actually think they have power brokers????? Hahahaahahaaaha

I'm guessing that most of the people with nasty things to say about us are cowering behing anonymous names. Just like a bunch of gutless cowards.

TheOldProgrammer
October 23rd, 2009, 4:38 PM
You make a good point Rick...

One exception, obviously, is Dagobert who has demonstrated that he has no respect for himself or anyone else... :smoke

CenTexDave
October 23rd, 2009, 5:05 PM
By the power brokers I'm talking about the builders and developers.
They managed to get appointed to the EDC, and the now gutless city council will not remove them, although that was one of their campaign promises.

Scarlett
October 23rd, 2009, 5:06 PM
Haha...that is kinda funny.

Actually, this entire thread has given me good chuckles today.

bbh
October 23rd, 2009, 5:27 PM
I checked it out, expecting to really see something. What a letdown .....yawn. If that's their best shot, I'm not impressed. Sounds like a few whiners at best...especially the Troll guy.

Can you say, "Waaaaa....they won't let me play, so I took my toys and went home"? :((

CenTexDave
October 23rd, 2009, 5:28 PM

Want some more tonight? Listen to the Ellison - Belton game!:))

Rick
October 23rd, 2009, 6:15 PM
I checked it out, expecting to really see something. What a letdown .....yawn. If that's their best shot, I'm not impressed. Sounds like a few whiners at best...especially the Troll guy.
Trolls whining to trolls.

Can you say, "Waaaaa....they won't let me play, so I took my toys and went home"? :((
I know two administrators here who are tired of a few people running off nice users with their trollish/abusive behavior.

Some people are going to see some changes.

Rick
October 23rd, 2009, 6:18 PM

Me too, not to mention, all the talk about how terrible we are is causing an influx of new users. I bet the trolls who read here and complain there weren't planning on that to happen.

joyohjoy
October 23rd, 2009, 6:30 PM
I checked out Topix to and was shocked at some of the things they are saying..no, I am not a prude but geez. Maybe its my age but I find that sort of talk unnecessary.

VooDooBaby
October 23rd, 2009, 7:41 PM
I stumbled upon topix a while back, but never gave it a second look. I pictured everyone to look like the comic book store owner from the simpsons... I wonder if that troll guy is willing to get on public television like Scarlett, Rick, and the few others who have gone on the news. It's really easy to be

bbh
October 23rd, 2009, 7:41 PM
I checked out Topix to and was shocked at some of the things they are saying..no, I am not a prude but geez. Maybe its my age but I find that sort of talk unnecessary.

I agree. Where is it written that in order to be "intellectual," you have to be crude and demeaning? Is it necessary to be insulting in order to make a valid point?

Rick is right... abusive behavior has no place in civil discourse.

As far as limiting free speech or insisting on conformity, that accusation has no merit. I'd be willing to bet that Rick and Scarlett do not personally agree with a majority of opinions written by us on this forum on a daily basis. What percentage of posts have been deleted? A miniscule number, I imagine.

Keep it going, guys.....you two are doing a fantastic job!

VooDooBaby
October 23rd, 2009, 7:45 PM
Oops, my son pounded on my keyboard just right.. anyways, it's really easy to be vulgar, and just plain stupid when you get to hide behind a screen name. In my eyes, this forum has a few bad apples that have made me just not want to post my opinion anymore, because if I don't agree, I have to prepare for the personal insults. I don't go whining to the admin because this isn't school, its a public forum, but atleast for the most part everyone stays on topic, and it doesn't just turn into straight up stupidity. People on here actually discuss things.

cityboy
October 23rd, 2009, 7:55 PM
But they won't let me unfurl my amazing sense of humor to its full glory ... :(

CenTexDave
October 23rd, 2009, 8:28 PM
Go ahead CityBoy. Rick and Scarlett aren't looking now.

Scarlett
October 23rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
Scarlett is ALWAYS looking, she just doesn't get as easily upset as Rick does...HAHA.

Rick
October 23rd, 2009, 11:34 PM
Ha!!! This latest uproar is not me...

...for once!!!

Oh and I was looking in from 32,000 ft tonight.

Eye in the Sky

cityboy
October 24th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Rick, your saying at the bottom of your posts reminded me of something my grandma once told my sister: "Having sex with your grandfather was like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube." :-0

gnatsum
October 24th, 2009, 1:38 PM
ya'll ain't run ME off yet! I ain't skeered! I'm JUST as BRAIN DAMAGED as most of you...just maybe in different areas of the brain... and myabe in varying intensities and levels of damage!:13:
Had a horrible thought about what some people might say about this place, and how they let others "know" about it...but since very little in my dreams EVER come true, it might be all for naught!
Peace!8-;

THEMEANOGRE
October 24th, 2009, 3:59 PM
I enjoy the conversations, even the occasional spirited debate. A couple of times, I've decided that a time out was in order because I felt there was nothing further to say that was productive. I've even been a little disappointed that some threads never generated any commentary. But I can live with that. All in all, y'all have done a great job. What I think it is even more amazing is that both of the principal culprits here are otherwise employed AND this runs with fewer problems than our previous "home".

Scarlett
October 24th, 2009, 4:04 PM
Well thank ya Ogre. We do try. I often find myself on my off period and during lunch fixing what I can, and I know Rick's phone keeps him connected to this site all the time solving one small crisis after another. Sometimes, what starts off as a hobby can turn into almost a second job...but it has been fun! (For the most part!)

Rick
October 24th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Yes, it is fun and ya, thanks to the damn Blackberry and the three email accounts that alert me to different things that happen here on the forum, I am always connected. And I am glad that I have a co-admin who is more than capable of taking up the slack and help people when I get busy. ;)

This topic and the one in the KISD section really have me thinking. Both Scarlett and I have received more than one private communication from intelligent members who have stated that they won't post and seldom read here because of a few members who rarely have nothing to add, yet they comment, or insult, or just babble away and they are tired of wading through that garbage.

After reading a few things on the Topix forums by some of the same people here, I can see that they are content with that kind of garbage, It is familiar to them, so it seems that they would not mind it if they turned this forum into that kind of crap. We will not allow that to happen. If you think that I am going to run a Topix type forum, you need to think again. I won't run one, and I am certainly not going to pay in order to provide one.

We have repeatedly and nicely, asked these few people to tone it down, but to no avail. (And it is not their opinions that we have asked them to tone down) It seems that they are so proud of a high post count, that they don't care about anything other than hearing their keyboards click.

People want to read the opinions of the people who actually have something to say. So, at the risk of losing the "Topix" type crowd, I am going to moderate even more strictly than I have in the past. If you think that we have an obligation to afford you your Constitutional rights, think again.

Rick
October 25th, 2009, 7:07 AM
Rick, your saying at the bottom of your posts reminded me of something my grandma once told my sister: "Having sex with your grandfather was like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube." :-0
I'm not sure this should be responded to, but some disclosures may be better off undisclosed. :bluerofl

Mestral
October 26th, 2009, 2:24 PM
Wow, I didn't know Dag-II was that controversial to anyone else, as I had been ignoring him since about the third or fourth time I read one of his posts. I just thought it was me that didn't care for him.

As far as mandatory civility, I think you guys have it about right. In fact, the only thing that caught my attention is when you said that after 3 warnings the user would be "moderated." Too nice. On the international forums where I hang out, we just ban them. Gone. Most of them leave before they get banned anyway, cause they can't stand the light and heat of the truth.

I actually hung out on Topix for a few months about 4 years ago, but left cause of the lack of filtering out those who had nothing to do with Cove, or anywhere in else in Central Texas. Just a bunch of loudmouthed fools from parts unknown posting on the Cove Topix forum. And I posted for a while on KDH, but they had a long list of rules that really said you had to be nicey nice. And then, like now, there wasn't much going on, on the Cove forum there.

So when I showed up a few months ago on the KDH forums, it was with the intent of either finding or creating a set of forums like this. I thank God that you guys have already done it. I am considering some ideas (physical world advertising) to drive a bit more Cove traffic over here, if you guys don't have any objection.

Scarlett
October 26th, 2009, 3:07 PM
I am considering some ideas (physical world advertising) to drive a bit more Cove traffic over here, if you guys don't have any objection.

Feel free...the more the merrier around here! Thanks! :thumbsup

Rick
October 26th, 2009, 7:24 PM
So when I showed up a few months ago on the KDH forums, it was with the intent of either finding or creating a set of forums like this. I thank God that you guys have already done it. I am considering some ideas (physical world advertising) to drive a bit more Cove traffic over here, if you guys don't have any objection.

Thanks for the kind words, go for it.