PDA

View Full Version : Don't stop until the whistle blows!

Charles Grubb
October 13th, 2009, 4:44 PM
The play is never over until the whistle blows.
Neither is the game.
A Michigan high schol football team has learned a painful lesson.
The game had come down to a field goal attempt for a win.
If the kick was good, Team A wins.
If the kick was missed, Team B wins.
No football game ends until the official blows the whistle on the final play.
The real action begins at about 40 seconds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFWIzoxYQ4s&feature=player_embedded

Canton (Michigan) Plymouth High learned that the hard way earlier this month.

The school thought it had defeated Westland (Michigan) John Glenn when it blocked a last-second field goal attempt. But when its players ran off the field in celebration, none of the players realized that the ball hadn't crossed the line of scrimmage and was still in play.

No official had blown the ball dead.

So while Plymouth celebrated, John Glenn's Tony Wilton alertly picked up the ball and ran 33-yards for the winning score.

It's a play, Wilton will never forget. Here's how it went down.

John Glenn trailed Plymouth, 28-27, with eight seconds left when it lined up for a potential game-winning field goal.

Wilton, a senior, is also the holder for field goals.
As the play unfolded, two onrushing Plymouth defenders dove and blocked the Ryan Lopez kick, which would never cross the line of scrimmage.

The Plymouth team erupted in jubilation of the last-second heroics.
Unfortunately for the Wildcats, the play was not over.

Wilton alertly scooped up the ball and took off running and 33-yards later he had scored his first career touchdown and won the game, 33-28.
"I heard somebody say 'run.'" Wilton told The Observer & Eccentric following the game. "There were (Glenn) guys in front of me and they (Plymouth) all ran off the field. They thought the game was over.''
http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1001233

CenTexDave
October 13th, 2009, 7:41 PM
Shades of the past.
This is exactly how Cove, in Jack Welch's first year as head coach, beat Temple for the first time ever. Final score was 7-6!!!
This article is almost humorous in another regard. Two Michigan high schools. One is named "Westland John Glenn", evidently after the former Marine Corps LtCol, astronaut and U.S. Senator. Glenn was from Ohio. Michigan never has gotten it right!!:)

Scarlett
October 13th, 2009, 9:14 PM
And this is posted as a local sport...why?

Charles Grubb
October 13th, 2009, 11:54 PM
And this is posted as a local sport...why?
It didn't fit as a national sport.

Scarlett
October 14th, 2009, 7:49 AM
I think it happened elsewhere in the nation, so it would fit better there. But hell, I don't care....

Rick
October 14th, 2009, 8:26 AM
Hey! Maybe we need a Miscellaneous Sports section.

Done!

cnjbond
October 14th, 2009, 9:21 AM
Not to over analyze this but the holder’s knee looked awfully close to being down when he picks up the ball technically making him down. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

CenTexDave
October 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I can't find the video. Looks like they took it off the site.

cnjbond
October 14th, 2009, 2:49 PM
Charles has it posted and linked in his 1st post.

CenTexDave
October 14th, 2009, 3:33 PM
I think when he picked up the ball his knee was just a wee bit off the ground. Guess we'll never know for sure because, unlike college and the NFL, there is no instant replay.
When this happened in 1994 with Cove vs. Temple there was no hesitation. The Cove holder scooped up the blocked kick behind the line of scrimmage and took off. Was even more amazing because the Temple players realized it was a live ball but couldn't catch him.

CenTexDave
October 14th, 2009, 3:36 PM
I'll have to look on the i-net for the best fake football play I've ever seen.
Was a youth football league game, location unknown (I forgot), but they were 11 and 12 year olds. The QB lines up under center, the ball is snapped and he looks at it, shouts "there's something wrong with this ball" and starts to walk towards the sidelines while sticking the ball out to show the coach. All the other players, especially the defense, just relaxes. The QB gets to within a few yards from the sideline, then turns and runs down the field for a TD!! Absolutely incredible.

CenTexDave
October 14th, 2009, 3:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fake+football+plays&search_type=&aq=f

Then click on the top video - Best Football Play Ever

Charles Grubb
October 14th, 2009, 8:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fake+football+plays&search_type=&aq=f

Then click on the top video - Best Football Play Ever

WOW..it is the best football play I've ever seen.
The QB should get an Oscar, an Emmy, and The Heisman!

CenTexDave
October 14th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Maybe even the Nobel Peace Prize!!

TexMexYum
November 19th, 2009, 9:32 PM
I think something like that happened in a Roos game in 98 or 99.