PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Sclerosis

THEMEANOGRE
September 24th, 2009, 9:36 PM
I have MS, multiple sclerosis. Not Muscular Dystrophy, I am NOT one of Jerry's kids.
MS is a disorder of the central nervous system. The prevaling theory is that it is caused by some kind of virus. In simple terms, it is thought the virus reprograms several of the immune cells to attack the proteins in the myelin sheath surrounding the nerve fiber (axon). This process (demyelination) causes basically an electrical short that prevents the smooth flow of electrical energy from the brain to various parts of the body. All of this damage occurs in the first eight inches of the spinal cord. Thus ALL my physical problems are really in my head, just not the way most would think. And since this is a disorder of the central nervous system, all my physical problems could be fixed by a good electrician. The downside there is that as fast as the Pentium computer chip is, it is too slow (over 100 times) to cope with the activity of the human nervous system. To illustrate the effect, I have an experiment for you to try.
Stand at the position soldiers call, "At Ease" for sixty seconds.

In that time, your brain will send out in excess of 1200 signals adjusting muscle tension throughout your body.
Now imagine if just one of those signals doesn't get where it is supposed to go. Now imagine if 100 don't get there.