PDA

View Full Version : Curves

xzochye
August 24th, 2009, 8:14 PM
Has anyone ever tried Curves? I am thinking of joining and would appreciate any info you may have about it. Thanks!

Scarlett
August 24th, 2009, 8:44 PM
I tired it a few years ago. I hated it.

poundpup
August 24th, 2009, 8:45 PM
I used to go to the Curves by the Killeen Mall. I LOVED it, except they A) were not open when I was able to go at the time, and B) they did not have a place to wash up at, let alone shower, so I had to go home afterwards, no matter what my plans. But the workout is fun, and great for people with my short attention span. :) I lost inches and firmed up, and felt great - but could not continue going because of their limitations.

I suggest you ask them to try it out once, see if you like it. Good thing is, I was in no annual contract, and if I want to go back to Curves, they won't charge me the initial application fee. I don't know if they still do that.

VooDooBaby
August 24th, 2009, 9:39 PM
I went there once with my sister in law. After never working out, and then doing their workout, i didn't feel a thing. I was always too shy to go to a gym, but... I later joined GymX and started doing the body pump class and OMG. I love that class! You really start seeing results in about a month if you do the class twice a week. You build long lean muscle, and the class is super easy to follow, not like an aerobics class.

BillK
August 24th, 2009, 10:11 PM
My wife did curves at several locations and liked it - she and I now go to the Lions Park gym and really like that - it is considerably cheaper - great equipment and not a lot of people there. Great hours.

Bill

ethelm
August 25th, 2009, 7:23 AM
I LOVE CURVES. Have gone for 3 years and lost almost 50 pounds. The people are great and it doesn't even feel like a workout because of the way the stations are set up.

xzochye
August 25th, 2009, 4:00 PM
I LOVE CURVES. Have gone for 3 years and lost almost 50 pounds. The people are great and it doesn't even feel like a workout because of the way the stations are set up.

Do you know what the enrollment and monthly fee is?

Deb
August 25th, 2009, 4:31 PM
I tired it a few years ago. I hated it.
So did I Scarlett. I went to one for about 2 weeks, and when the employees start touching me inappropriately, that's when I went in and raised hell with the manager and told her that "Jane" had no business touching me inappropriately. That's when I dropped the membership and started going to LA Fitness. LA Fitness is open better hours, and is open most holidays, too. I could say a few more nasty things about Curves, but it would be to nasty. The membership fees at the Arizona Curves are $39/month. LA Fitness is $25/ month.

Scarlett
August 25th, 2009, 8:05 PM
I did not feel as if I worked out at ALL. It was TOO EASY. Nothing felt "heavy." If I leave a workout and haven't broken a sweat....did I really work out?

Now...playing RACQUETBALL a few times a week...THAT is a workout!

VooDooBaby
August 25th, 2009, 8:37 PM
I did not feel as if I worked out at ALL. It was TOO EASY. Nothing felt "heavy." If I leave a workout and haven't broken a sweat....did I really work out?

That was my problem with Curves. I went into LA Fitness, and talked to one of the ladies, and she said "I don't think this gym would be challenging enough for you".:unsure:

xzochye
August 25th, 2009, 8:51 PM
Is there a LA Fitness in Killeen?

rubytuesday
August 25th, 2009, 9:24 PM
Curves did me some good, but I didn't stick with it for several reasons: no place to change, monotony, and awkward hours.

VooDooBaby
August 25th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Is there a LA Fitness in Killeen?

There is an LA Fitness in Harker Heighs, in the little shopping center you pass as you turn to go into the Harker Heights Wal-Mart off of 2410.

Very small inside.

VooDooBaby
August 26th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Oh My Gosh, wait a minute... I'm all confused, the gym that I just said is actually Ladies Workout Express. I have no clue what "LA Fitness" is.

Ladies Workout Express is just like Curves, but even smaller.

Sorry for the confusion!

ethelm
August 26th, 2009, 8:40 AM
Can't remember the cost---they do a bank draft, but they do give KISD employees a discount.

Rotti_mama
August 26th, 2009, 8:51 AM
To me "Curves" and "LA Fitness" is the same. The same circle......just boring!!
LA in HH gave me a free trial for 1 Week about 2 years ago. I was the only one in there.
You can go in there in Dress Clothes and go straight to work. You don't sweat, nothing.
After that i went to the Heritage Fitness Park in HH.
And i think the Membership is cheaper.

Deb
August 26th, 2009, 8:58 AM
LA Fitness is nothing like Curves. Like Scarlett said, at Curves you feel like you don't get a workout. At least at LA Fitness they have actual equipment to do a workout on like treadmills, exercise bikes, and other cardio equipment. Curves does not. I can burn more calories on the treadmill than at Curves. I also never lost any weight or inches at Curves. I've lost weight & inches at LA Fitness, plus it's cheaper and open better hours than Curves.

Rotti_mama
August 26th, 2009, 2:29 PM
How much you pay every month??
Back then Membership for 1 Year was 53.00. Monthly!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you take a 2 Year Membership it went down to 39.00.
I know Management changed a while ago, maybe things are different now.
But still, they are both boring to me.

KilleenMom
September 6th, 2009, 2:23 PM
I did Curves for about a few months but didn't feel like I was getting a good workout. I was invited to a Jazzercise class in May. I was really intimidated at first, but the instructors were very friendly and welcoming. The class is so much fun! It's an intense workout, but it's pretty easy to follow. I started at the beginning of the summer and have already lost 20 pounds!

nightshift
September 7th, 2009, 1:33 PM
I worked at their facility in Temple.

good people, but the workout is not strenuous and there are no showers, etc. it is an excellent starting place for beginning exercising.

I am now trying the Zumba classes on Mon and Wed at the HH activities center - a real workout and fun to lating music. if you want a aerobic workout go there and you can pay by the month, no contracts.

kryptickancer
September 7th, 2009, 2:20 PM
I need a gym with daycare! Curves should offer that! :P

Scarlett
September 7th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Gym X does, Curves does not.

kryptickancer
September 8th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the info Scarlett.

KilleenMom
September 8th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Jazzercise has free baby-sitting, too.

VooDooBaby
September 8th, 2009, 3:51 PM

Hey, I go to GymX. The ladies in the daycare are really nice. The body pump class is AMAZING! If you ever want a workout buddy, PM me!

kryptickancer
September 8th, 2009, 6:59 PM
Hey, I go to GymX. The ladies in the daycare are really nice. The body pump class is AMAZING! If you ever want a workout buddy, PM me!

Thanks voodoo... Just gotta okay the costs with the hubs.. How much do you pay a month for the baby sitting option? I havent called about it yet.

VooDooBaby
September 8th, 2009, 7:15 PM
I pay $43/month and that is for gym use, child care, and classes. They threw in tanning for free. If you just do gym and child care, it will be $30/month. I did have to pay an enrollment fee, and my first month when I signed up, and that was around $80. BUT, there is no cancellation fee. So say a few months down the road, you see yourself not going anymore... just cancel. No fee like some of the other gyms.

kryptickancer
September 8th, 2009, 7:18 PM
thats freakin sweet!

Sunshine
September 10th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I did Ladies Fitness center for a few months and then switched over to HP. I didn't feel like I got a good workout in. I know they have some aerobic equipment, but it is just not the same. Putting weights into a routine really helped me, with aerobics.

MeinLieberSchollie62
September 11th, 2009, 2:22 PM
Gold's also has day care .... Gym X is always so dark, depressing to me and I am not that selfconcious that I need to work out with the lights low .............
Gold's also has a Pool, Hot Tub, Water Aerobics and all sorts of lovely things going on...

VooDooBaby
September 11th, 2009, 2:30 PM
I've never been to gold's. I should have checked it out.

MeinLieberSchollie62
September 12th, 2009, 5:20 PM
VooDoo ... I really like it and there are so many classess that they offer .. from the bike class, joga to water aerobics ...... it never gets old and they do have daycare as well. The staff is always really friendly and helpfull and there is also a Cardio Theater ...... all in all ... I have been happy there and we have been members since the first day they opened their doors

VooDooBaby
September 12th, 2009, 5:56 PM
Thanks for the info. My family is PCSing very soon though, so I'll just stick with gymX for the time being :)

Scarlett
September 13th, 2009, 11:42 AM
And if Gold's would build racquetball courts, I would be sold.
Hell, if ANY flipping gym in Killeen would build racquetball courts....

bbh
September 13th, 2009, 7:21 PM
I pay $43/month and that is for gym use, child care, and classes. They threw in tanning for free. If you just do gym and child care, it will be $30/month. I did have to pay an enrollment fee, and my first month when I signed up, and that was around $80. BUT, there is no cancellation fee. So say a few months down the road, you see yourself not going anymore... just cancel. No fee like some of the other gyms.

I realize that you are talking Killeen, but be careful. I had a terrible experience with GymX in Temple. It was several years ago, but......

After being there for a couple of years, I had to cancel. They told me originally that there would be no cancellation fee. When the time came, they said that no one had ever told me that and stuck me with a big bill. I talked to everyone from the owner to the manager to their lawyer. It was either pay the bill or they would report me to the credit bureaus. It would have been a huge hassle, so I paid it.

VooDooBaby
September 13th, 2009, 8:31 PM
I already canceled my membership once, when I was pregnant. All I did was go in, and sign a sheet of paper terminating my membership. I think they've changed the way they do things these days. I don't have a contract this time, I just go month to month. Thanks for the heads up though :)

Rick
September 15th, 2009, 8:38 AM
Cove Fitness offers free childcare.

kryptickancer
September 15th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Cove Fitness offers free childcare.

Thanks for the info Rick!