PDA

View Full Version : Early Cowboy Record Predictions

cnjbond
August 4th, 2009, 7:30 AM
I think the Boys will go 10-6 this year...I know that's pretty optimistic, especially since training camp has barely started, but I think they will do well this year. 10-6 might even be a little conservative...can't wait to see the offense this year. Defense is still a BIG question mark, hopefully Coach Philips can unleash the beast and we see a reemergence of the old "Dooms Day" defense.

Chuck

CenTexDave
August 4th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I'll predict 11-5 and a wildcard spot.

cnjbond
August 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Wild card at 11-5? You must think the NFC will have some strong teams this year. Who do you have as the big contenders in the NFC East? I think Philly will be #1 but it's a toss up between the Boys and Giants for #2.

Night Owl
August 4th, 2009, 12:12 PM
8-8.

CenTexDave
August 4th, 2009, 1:01 PM
I think Philly will win the east, but yesterday their starting MLB suffered a season ending knee injury. Wow.
Don't overlook Washington. They should be improved.
The Cowboys should battle the Giants for second place and a wild card.
The rest of the NFC? Vikings and/or Bears in NFC Central. Vikings need a QB. Bears found a good QB, but their defense always is injured. If they can keep Tommie Lee Harris and Charles Tillman healthy they should contend.
I also look for New Orleans and Atlanta to be in the mix for a playoff berth.
I don't see much change in the AFC. New England may get challenged by Miami. If Tom Brady is not healthy NE will not get a playoff berth. Indy is always tough.
Pittsburgh and Baltimore should rule the AFC Central. Both probably in the playoffs.
San Diego needs to get out fast and keep LT healthy and they'll be fine. Denver has too many problems now. Oakland is, well Oakland. Cleveland and Cincinnati will probably be improved but not enough for a playoff spot. KC is, well KC.

cnjbond
August 4th, 2009, 2:54 PM
Hey what about the NFC Jest...I mean West...I mean they did have the NFC Champs come from that Division, although I think the Cardinals just caught fire at the right time and doubt there will be a repeat this year...I don't see Warner going the whole year...and he's one of my favorite players but I just think his tank is about ready to run out.

Night Owl
August 4th, 2009, 3:11 PM
Cowboys will not make the playoffs this year. Their D is suspect and their WR corps is unproven. They will beat those they are susposed to beat but when crunch time comes they will not beat Philly or the Giants in their away games. They may win one of these games at home. Washington is iffy at best. I see them going 3-5 in the East or maybe 4-4 if they beat Washinton twice.

There are too many question marks on both O and D to get there this year. Romo will continue to rely on Whitten and he still needs to learn to trust Williams. The playoffs are a bridge to far again this year.

Gramps
August 4th, 2009, 3:22 PM
The big question in my mind is can they avoid the post Thanksgiving fold that's been their downfall in several recent seasons. If they can I think they will make the playoffs as a wild card, but it will be another one and done post season for them.

CenTexDave
August 4th, 2009, 4:06 PM
Oh, I agree. The Cardinals will be right back in the playoffs.
But word out of AZ is their #1 draft pick, Beanie Wells, RB out of Ohio State, is already hurt. First practice and he messed up his foot again. Ohio State fans call him "Beanie Baby" because he was hurt so often.

cnjbond
August 4th, 2009, 4:34 PM
I think the offense is about where it needs to be and we'll see decent numbers from the Romo/Williams tandem (obviously not the numbers that Romo/TO put up) but there's enough talent on the offensive side to more than make up for the departure of TO.

The defense is going to be the big question mark with the loss of Roy "I Can't Cover" Williams and Anthony "Reliable When Healthy" Henry in the secondary. Dallas has enough depth up front to make up for the loss of some of those guys so that shouldn't be TOO big of a problem.

I know you're not supposed to put too much stock in the pre-season games, but I think this is going to set the tone on what kind of team Dallas has this year...a hungry one or a repeat of last year.

I'll go on record and say Dallas makes the playoffs and get's their first playoff victory...you heard it here first on CenTexTalk!!!!!

Chuck

cnjbond
August 14th, 2009, 1:05 AM
Caught some of the after game radio comments (via interenet) and it didn't sound like the 2nd and 3rd stringers showed up to play. Now is the time Wade can put his money where his mouth is on being a tougher coach, demanding more accountability from his players.......we shall see!

CenTexDave
August 14th, 2009, 6:58 AM
First team looked good. Let's hope none of them get injured because the back-ups looked like doggie doo-doo.

Night Owl
August 14th, 2009, 8:42 AM
Watched part of the game and the first team offense seemed okay. After they left the field with about 3 minutes to go in the first quarter everything went downhill. The defensive secondary did not impress at all. It could be a long season unless they get their act together.

cnjbond
August 14th, 2009, 8:47 AM
Yeah, let's hope...not sure why Dallas seems to have so much trouble getting quality backups since the Jimmy Johnson years. I thought that was the purpose of this year's waiting-til-the-later-rounds draft was all about...getting solid backup position players. Sigggghhhh, I have to remind myself that this is still just one game of the pre-season, so I will try not to get too discouraged so soon.

CenTexDave
August 15th, 2009, 9:04 AM
Terrance Newman didn't play. Neither did one of the other starting defensive backfield members. So you had two regular subs starting. When they left you had third string subs in there.
It all went downhill quick. But that's the reason for pre-season. They'll get it fixed. At least they better get it fixed or Mr. Wade Phillips will be joining the unemployment line soon.

cnjbond
August 23rd, 2009, 5:00 PM
It appears the Boys had a better showing this week. I can't WAIT to get back to the states, missing Cowboy football ranks right below missing the family...even if it is just the preseason as my wife likes to remind me.

CenTexDave
August 23rd, 2009, 5:40 PM
Back to the states? Where are you? I think I know. Keep your head down, and thanks.

gs45
August 23rd, 2009, 6:28 PM
I am a die-hard cowboy fan (even though i dont live in texas anymore) and they (first string) look good. Just hoping they dont run out of gas after Thanksgiving.

CenTexDave
August 23rd, 2009, 7:47 PM
That appears to be the key with the Cowboys.
Following their annual Turkey Day game I think they fill up on too much turkey, ham, dressing, pumpkin pie and cranberry sauce and take a nap for a month.