PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina

cityboy
July 22nd, 2009, 10:03 AM
Fixin' to take a road trip to Charlotte. Not a lot of extra time for stopping along the way, but any ideas out there for special scenic routes or can't-miss stuff? I've been to Graceland, but was thinking about maybe going again, if time allows ... 8-;

THEMEANOGRE
July 22nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
I've never been there, but Look Out Mountain is supposed to be spectacular.

CenTexDave
July 22nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Lookout Mountain is spectacular. Went to school in that area for a year. Well worth the trip.

BillK
July 22nd, 2009, 1:43 PM
Lookout Mountain is spectacular. Went to school in that area for a year. Well worth the trip.

Concur!
Lots of great things to do around there as well.
Bill

TexMexYum
July 22nd, 2009, 11:50 PM
So much to do in the Chattanooga area. I used to live there many years ago, and have visited a few times over the past 10 years. I was looking last night at hotels in the area and came across this:
http://skyharborbavarianinn.com/

I don't know if you are planning on spending the night there, but it sure looks like the perfect place to me! There is a nice aquarium downtown, and you can't leave before riding the Incline Railway.
http://www.ridetheincline.com/.

One time we stayed at the "Chattanooga Choo-Choo" hotel in the downtown area, in train car that was converted to a room. It was kinda nice. Nothing spectacular in the way of rooms, but the lobby, which was the original terminal, is beautiful with very interesting architecture.

If you took a more northern route, what about areas in the Smokey Mountains - like Gatlinburg. Or if you're a country music fan, Nashville is fun.

Scarlett
July 23rd, 2009, 6:33 PM
I used to drive through Chattonooga on my way back and forth from Savannah...THAT is a BEAUTIFUL area. Sigh....

cityboy
July 23rd, 2009, 6:47 PM
I'm thinking we will go via Memphis and Chatanooga on the way, and then maybe back through Destin/Ft. Walton Beach area on the way back ...

TexMexYum
July 23rd, 2009, 6:54 PM
I'm thinking we will go via Memphis and Chattanooga on the way, and then maybe back through Destin/Ft. Walton Beach area on the way back ...

I'm officially jealous - Chattanooga AND Ft Walton Beach! Clear water, beautiful white sand, yep....my kinda vacation! (with a side of Elvis!)

cityboy
July 23rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, we won't have much time for the beach. Just long enough to let my daughter have a look. She's never been to Florida ...

BillK
July 24th, 2009, 7:03 AM
Yeah, unfortunately, we won't have much time for the beach. Just long enough to let my daughter have a look. She's never been to Florida ...

While there are many nice things about Florida - here is a list of things that will help you remember reality:

1. Love bugs
2. sink holes
3. fires
4. rain almost DAILY and NASTY rain
5. hurricanes
6. alligators
7. humidity
8. horribly hot

Yes - I have vacationed there and have enjoyed myself - but I have also seen it in my rear view mirror with pleasure!

cityboy
July 24th, 2009, 9:11 AM
Golly gee, man ... :-s

cityboy
July 24th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Yo, gonna have barbecue for lunch in Memphis, then on to Chattanooga, where we'll stay at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo hotel downtown, and ride the train up Lookout Mountain, before heading on to North Carolina the next day -- gonna be fun!!!

TexMexYum
July 25th, 2009, 5:36 PM
Yo, gonna have barbecue for lunch in Memphis, then on to Chattanooga, where we'll stay at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo hotel downtown, and ride the train up Lookout Mountain, before heading on to North Carolina the next day -- gonna be fun!!!

I hope you and your daughter have a great time. Do some research on the rooms at the Choo-Choo....I think I remember some are better than others. The grounds are beautiful and I think there are several pools. I always love riding the Incline. Are you spending the night in Ft Walton Beach? The beach and water there is truly gorgeous. Advertisements describe the sand as "sugary" but I think it looks more like snow. When we were there, in the month of July, there was not nearly as much rain like there is in central and lower Florida. I've never had bbq in Memphis, but they're famous for it, right?

Phantomwarrior
July 26th, 2009, 12:00 AM

I thought "Lookout Mountain" was in Colorado. In fact I know they have one there. It's where Buffalo Bill Cody is buried.

cityboy
July 26th, 2009, 9:24 AM
Lookout Mountain is a big attraction in Chattanooga. Yo, TexMex, I think we may have time to spend the night at Ft. Walton Beach. Will kind of play it be ear. I'll report on the trip later!

adelaide
July 31st, 2009, 11:36 PM
NC... Chimney Rock is really cool... Last of the Mohicans was filmed there... Biltmore Estate is beautiful, too. Not sure if you will make it to these places, but we went to these when we lived there... pretty state...

CenTexDave
August 1st, 2009, 10:57 AM
That Biltmore Estate is absolutely incredible.
I offered to buy it about 20 years ago, but I was short about $50M.

cityboy
August 4th, 2009, 1:34 PM
Well, we got back around noon Monday, after logging around 2,600 miles. Had a wonderful time! Spent the night in Memphis on the way; had a fantastic pulled pork sandwich for breakfast the next day, and headed to Chattanooga. Stayed at the Choo-Choo, which was pretty cool, but over-rated and overpriced. If you go there, be careful of staying anywhere near one of the swimming pools. The pools stay open until 11 p.m., and the rooms (in the section we stayed in) all surround the pool. Really, really noisy. Not conducive to sleeping after a couple of long days on the road ...

Lookout Mountain was spectacular. We didn't ride the train; looked kind of silly, so we just went up to the lookout area and took some pictures. Then we took off for N.C., and made a quick stop in Asheville. What a beautiful, neat little town! Somewhat reminiscent of south Austin, in a way. Lots of neat little shops, and hippie stuff. People playing music and singing on the street corners. And the drive from Chattanooga into North Carolina, through the mountains, is really beautiful.

On the way back, we headed south and spent the night in Destin, Fla. Very beautiful place, but kind of disappointing, in a way, because of the massive development that has taken place since I was there 20 years ago. They've kinda ruined the place, really ...

But we're home, safe and sound, the daughter and I, tired as heck, with a lifetime of great memories ... :-)

Scarlett
August 4th, 2009, 3:39 PM
But we're home, safe and sound, the daughter and I, tired as heck, with a lifetime of great memories ... :-)

I drove my kids and me up to South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore a couple of years ago. One of the best experiences of my life...felt the same way when we finally made it home...

CenTexDave
August 4th, 2009, 4:04 PM
Should have gone in early August and visited the Harley rally in Sturgis!!

Night Owl
August 4th, 2009, 4:06 PM
Did you stop and see the memorial of Custer's Last Stand. Awesome.

CenTexDave
August 4th, 2009, 5:05 PM
In a previous life I was there. Got killed though.

Scarlett
August 4th, 2009, 7:45 PM
Haha. I was there in july when they were gearing up for the Sturgis madness. Missed it by a week I think.

TexMexYum
August 4th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Well, we got back around noon Monday, after logging around 2,600 miles. Had a wonderful time! Spent the night in Memphis on the way; had a fantastic pulled pork sandwich for breakfast the next day, and headed to Chattanooga. Stayed at the Choo-Choo, which was pretty cool, but over-rated and overpriced. If you go there, be careful of staying anywhere near one of the swimming pools. The pools stay open until 11 p.m., and the rooms (in the section we stayed in) all surround the pool. Really, really noisy. Not conducive to sleeping after a couple of long days on the road ...

Lookout Mountain was spectacular. We didn't ride the train; looked kind of silly, so we just went up to the lookout area and took some pictures. Then we took off for N.C., and made a quick stop in Asheville. What a beautiful, neat little town! Somewhat reminiscent of south Austin, in a way. Lots of neat little shops, and hippie stuff. People playing music and singing on the street corners. And the drive from Chattanooga into North Carolina, through the mountains, is really beautiful.

On the way back, we headed south and spent the night in Destin, Fla. Very beautiful place, but kind of disappointing, in a way, because of the massive development that has taken place since I was there 20 years ago. They've kinda ruined the place, really ...

I'm glad you guys made it back safely and with good memories! My mom was born around the Asheville area and my grandmother is buried there; I've always wanted to go but still haven't made it. I do have it on my "to do travel list" though. LOL....I thougth about y'all being at the beach this week - it's "shark week" on the Discovery channel!

cityboy
August 5th, 2009, 8:21 AM
Yeah, Shark Week! I saw a great movie called, "Spring Break Shark Attack," I think it was. Bunch of hotties getting mangled by sharks ... 8-;