PDA

View Full Version : Socializing cats

MeinLieberSchollie62
July 16th, 2009, 6:09 PM
I have a question in regards to bringing Kittens into the house with an older male cat that we have adopted. He has been with us for a while and is about 1 1/2 years old now, he was a stray.
We then adopted two kittens and this has been 3 months ago. The older cat hissess at them and swats them when they get into his space but other than that, he does nothing to them. He does avoid them when he can and I am wondering if they will ever get along to where we can actually leave all of them together. Right now we stick the kitties in their room - yes, they have their own room lol - but I really would like to see some interaction between all of the cats.
He is a HE and the kittens are both females.
Please help me out with this ......
::)

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
July 16th, 2009, 6:21 PM
I believe as the kittens age that things will begin to mellow in your kitty family. It is not uncommon for the older cat to be a little rough with the youngsters. It is very important that everyone be spayed or neutered as failing to do so can prolong or exacerbate the behavior you describe. Continue to let them spend time together and it is entirely possible that the male may have to set some boundaries for the gals before they all get along.

Good luck with all the kitties.

siamcat
July 16th, 2009, 9:43 PM
Cats can be interesting. As long as all the older cat does is hiss and swat and the younger ones respect that boundary I wouldn't worry too much.
As they grow used to each other they might become more friendly or just get along.
I have an old cat (around 8 years old), who was very disgruntled when we got another cat and a dog. Since neither was very aggressive we let them get aquainted ( including hisses, swats, and barks). Now they lay on the same couch together peacefully. Once in the while the dog wants to play and the cat just looks at him like he wants to say:"I think not." The cat is a grumpy old man, but it works.

Iteachtoo
July 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Your older cat just needs to make sure that the two new little kitties know who is the Alpha kitty. Remember, it was his territory first. As soon as he is sure they know that he is the BOSS, everything will settle down.
I have had cats all of my life and have seen this happen over and over again.
I have three, when I feed them the younger two will sit back and let the older cat eat first. When he finishes then they alternate turns between each other. They never, ever eat before him. They learned early. They will even move if he wants their spot on the love seat. Cats are very funny creatures to observe!!

MeinLieberSchollie62
July 17th, 2009, 9:38 AM
Thank you for putting my mind at ease. The older male is neutered and I will get the girls done together as soon as they reach 6 month, that way they can heal together and the recovery will be smooth for both of them.
This is my first set of kitties - I had two dogs before - and they both are no longer with us and I was just not able to emotionally take in a dog at this time. I love my cats and even though they can never replace my dogs, they have earned their own spot in my heart :)