PDA

View Full Version : BOSTON!

Scarlett
July 13th, 2009, 5:58 AM
This is just a teaser...I am flying out this morning...the history geek in me can't wait. Pictures to follow...someone pray my plane don't go down on the way! Catch y'all from an iPhone later!

BillK
July 13th, 2009, 9:13 AM
This is just a teaser...I am flying out this morning...the history geek in me can't wait. Pictures to follow...someone pray my plane don't go down on the way! Catch y'all from an iPhone later!

I grew up in Boston - things I recommend that you see are:

1. Fanueil Hall Market place - this is truly a wonderful place to shop and spend some time including eating.

2. Old Ironsides

3. freedom trail

4. if you can get out to Lexington and Corcord (shot heard round the world) you will find it wonderful.

Remember that New Hampshire and Maine and Vermont are less than an hour away.

Bill

Night Owl
July 13th, 2009, 9:16 AM
Lobster!!!!

THEMEANOGRE
July 13th, 2009, 9:19 AM
Don't forget to see Skullitor while you're there.

Iteachtoo
July 13th, 2009, 9:54 AM

I so envy you!!!!!!

Scarlett
July 13th, 2009, 3:49 PM
Feel free to follow my travels at www.facebook.com/tcherizard (http://www.facebook.com/tcherizard)
I have been posting pictures there because my kids are at my folks house in Kansas and they are keeping tabs on mama that way!

Just left Old North Church. Saw Freedom Trail and the site of the Boston Massacre. Saw cemetary where Revere and Adamsand Otis and several others are buried.

Yes Bill I will be hitting Lexington and Concord and the other places you mentioned!

I will post pictures here later for you non facebook people! Too hard to do that to this site from this iPhone. There is no iPhone ap for centextalk. Guess I should work on that. Lol.

Oh for you twitter people...On twitter you can follow me at "scarlettexas."

CenTexDave
July 13th, 2009, 8:26 PM
Gotta include a stop at Cheers! Think it's still open. Have a chocolate martini.

Scarlett
July 13th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I just had too many chocolate martinis, so this might make little sense....Today was great fun. My computer is having issues downloading my pics in the state I am in..so they are on my facebook for now. I will try tomorrow evening to put them on here. In the meantime, they are on my facebook.

This has been a great day. Can't wait for tomrorrow.
Gnite y'all!

bbh
July 13th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Boston....my favorite city! All the places you guys are recommending are the ones I suggested she go. I just love the Fanueil Hall area... especially in the Fall. I also like to start at one end of Quincy Market and eat my way through to the other end!

A quick trip out to the JFK Library is also worth the time. You can take the subway (the first subway in the US) to JFK station and a cheap shuttle to the Library.

Scarlett
July 14th, 2009, 7:01 AM
Ummm...heading to that Hall and Market today! And JFK Library is on Friday. I am so ON this! Haha.
Trying to get my darn pictures to load onto my laptop, but my card is acting weird. Will try one more time, otherwise they are stuck on facebook until I get home!
Heading out in a bit to Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Boston Common, Public Garden, and the Old Statehouse. Then Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market followed by Constitution Old Ironsides, the Paul Revere House and ending tonight with a Boston Harbor Cruise. Dinner at the Boston Chart House.

Looks like I might be tired tonight.

Good news, the bartender at this hotel makes the most amazing chocolate martinis I have ever had! He swore he would give me the recipe before I left...gonna make sure he does!

Enjoy your weather, high here today is 78!

Scarlett
July 14th, 2009, 8:03 AM
Yippee! Got it to work, have 30 minutes left before we head out...here are a couple that I had time to shrink and get to photobucket and get here!

Me leaving Dallas....

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/LeavingDallas.jpg

Entering the Old North Church...Google that if you don't understand why I am all history geek happy here....

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/OLC2.jpg

THE Old North Church

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/ONC.jpg

The No Name Restaurant...home of the yummiest fish chowder I ever ate in my LIFE. I guess it is fresh...that building at the end of the road is the New England Fish Exchange...haha.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/NoNameRes.jpg

And the coolest thing...we got to watch one of the "big ships" pull out and head back to Portugal. If you look closely, the sailors were climbing up the masts at speeds that blew me away. Then they were all hanging there just waving...it was soo cool!

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/BigShips.jpg

OK, Doing lots more today....this is one pretty cool place so far!

~S~

bbh
July 14th, 2009, 8:23 AM
Enjoy your weather, high here today is 78!

You lucky dog!!! Yesterday, after my car sat in the sun for an hour, the temp gauge said 113......on the highway it was hovering between 106 and 108... YUK!!!!

Look for the big bronze relief monument in front of the Statehouse (with the gold dome). It's the one you see at the end of the movie Glory, dedicated to the Civil War 54th Massachusetts Infantry. Cool. Don't you love Boston Harbor?

You're right...it's an American history geek's dream town!

THEMEANOGRE
July 14th, 2009, 9:54 AM
There are many burgs in this country with far less history. I'd recommend a future trip following Sherman's march to the sea. Start that one at Chatanooga, TN and end at Savanah, GA. You might check out Kennesaw Mountain. The youngest major (at the time) in the US Army, Arthur MacArthur (Doug's daddy) was cited for valor and gallantry in action. He was supposed to be awarded the Medal of Honor, but his commanding officer vetoed it claiming he had disobeyed explicit orders to take only a trench line at the base of the hill, instead of the entire hill.

CenTexDave
July 14th, 2009, 9:57 AM
Have a couple more chocolate martinis - I'm sure the computer will run properly then!! :)

Also, not sure of the Red Sox schedule this week because of the All-Star break, but if they're back in town on Thursday or Friday take in a game at Fenway Park. Greatest ballpark in the history of baseball.

THEMEANOGRE
July 14th, 2009, 10:00 AM
BTW, Scarlett, Have you looked up Skullitor?

CenTexDave
July 14th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I think Scarlett has already lived in Savannah.
Perhaps a canoe trip following Lewis and Clark's original route!

BillK
July 14th, 2009, 1:08 PM
Too late to tell you this NOW - but there is NOTHING like listening to the Boston Pops (or who ever is playing) at the Hatch Memorial Shell on Storrow drive on July 4th.

The boats are all out on the Charles River and when they do the 1812 overture and shoot the cannons it echos like nothing you have ever heard!

The fireworks are spectacular and the several thousnd crown (that has been drinking since early afternoon) on the lawn is thoroughly toasted.

They also do movies there on the Charles at the Hatch. the best was the wizard of oz - when it goes from black and white to color the crowd goes nuts as well as when the wtich gets the bucket of water from dorothy!

Truly an experience.

You know that Amy's icecream started there in Cambridge right? Steve's also started there as well.

Bill

BillK
July 14th, 2009, 2:59 PM
I was there in 1976 when they had the 50th anniversary and the parade of the "Tall Ships"

they were from about 50 different countries and they paraded through the harbor with tug boats spraying water everywhere - I still remember it with awe.

Was a truely amazing sight.
Bill

Scarlett
July 14th, 2009, 4:48 PM
The tall ships left the day before we got here except for this last one!
Hitting the Fenway Park tour tomorrow during my "free time." just cause I can't imagine being here and not going.
We are eating at the Chart House now. iPhone about to die so pictures will be posted tonight. BBH I got one I took just for you. Lol

BillK
July 14th, 2009, 4:51 PM
The tall ships left the day before we got here except for this last one!
Hitting the Fenway Park tour tomorrow during my "free time." just cause I can't imagine being here and not going.
We are eating at the Chart House now. iPhone about to die so pictures will be posted tonight. BBH I got one I took just for you. Lol

Went to school there near Fenway -
Mass College of Pharmacy for Undergrad
Harvard for Graduate school -

Lot's of great schools there.
Bill

CenTexDave
July 14th, 2009, 5:57 PM
Stay out of Roxbury!! :)
If you get a chance drive up to Salem - a special place for all witches!!

CenTexDave
July 14th, 2009, 6:57 PM
"Enjoy your weather, high here today is 78".
Yep, another day in the 100's here.
But just think, you have to come back to this blast furnace after experiencing a week of high's in just the high 70's/low 80's. LOL.
By the way, Oscar said you'd better get home quick.
P.S. Please bring some rain back with ya.

Scarlett
July 14th, 2009, 9:37 PM
Here are my photo stops for today.
bbh, just for you...I was eating my way thru Quincy Market....

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/Eatingmywaythruthemarket.jpg

I figure, those were Godiva chocolates...BUT, chocolates are made out of beans, which are a veggie...and inside this one was cheescake with strawberries...so I got fruit, dairy, veggie...it was GOOD FOR ME!

Also, on my quest to eat my way through the market, I stopped at....

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/Cheers.jpg

Because SOMEDAY, everyone will know my name...lol.

Still on the eats...had to stop in for a gyro...see below! http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/lunchgyro.jpg

Heading to the Paul Revere House, had to show off the old cobblestone streets...here they are!
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/LayCobblestone.jpg

Ate dinner at the famous Chart House...WOW. Best Prime Rib of my life. And who knew that I liked Boston Cream Pie??
But did they really think I could eat THIS MUCH!

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/ChartHouseFood.jpg

After that, we took a Boston harbor tour. Had a LOT of fun there.

More to post tomorrow, Me tired. Lots of pictures and details of trip are on facebook. My kids are tracking me there, so that is in constant connection to the iPhone!

Goodnight y'all.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/BostonHarborCruise.jpg

BillK
July 14th, 2009, 9:52 PM
Try a "duck" tour. Worth it in my opinon.
Make sure that you go through the "big dig". It is VERY impressive for someone who lived there BEFORE it. it TOTALLY confuses the HEFER$^&$%
out of a GPS system TRUST ME having been there recently several times.

DON'T let anyone tell you you need to go to Cape Cod - it is farther than it looks and than you think.

Bill

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2009, 5:04 AM
You need to go to Cape Cod and see Plymouth Rock. Yep, actually a rock there with 1621 carved in it.

Scarlett
July 15th, 2009, 7:38 AM
We go thru the Big Dig daily, and we don't have the time for Cape Cod, or I would go.
Today we are heading to Harvard Yard, Lexington and Concord, and...yes...I can't believe I volunteered for the next one....ending the day with a tour of Fenway Park.

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2009, 9:19 AM
Good watering hole just across the street from Fenway Park. Can't remember the name of the place but spent many an hour, and dollar, in there after watching the Red Sox.
I'm sure they can mix up a fine chocolate martini.

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2009, 10:09 PM
No report from Scarlett tonight. She must have found that bar near Fenway and had a few too many chocolate martinis.:):)):vino:

BillK
July 15th, 2009, 11:18 PM
No report from Scarlett tonight. She must have found that bar near Fenway and had a few too many chocolate martinis.:):)):vino:

Not sure when you were there last - but when I went down near Fenway they had changed a LOT and it was not recognizable to me - they may no longer have THAT bar there.

Bill

CenTexDave
July 16th, 2009, 6:39 AM
It was a long, long, long time ago. Let's just say that Fred Lynn, Carl Yastremski and Jim Rice were playing for the Red Sox.

Scarlett
July 16th, 2009, 6:47 AM
Day three is over...day four is starting!

Yesterday I went to Lexington and Concord, off to Fenway park, then I went down with three other adventurous sorts onto the subway and we found the original Cheers, where we ate.

No time to really shrink too many pictures, but I like these two. Lunch at the Colonial Inn was super great, the waiter kept singing to us, and the atmosphere was awesome. And it appears I am a tree hugger and just never knew it!

Hope y'all are having fun in hot Texas!

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/treehugger.jpg

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/colonialinn.jpg

Night Owl
July 16th, 2009, 8:05 AM
Nice trees!!!!!

CenTexDave
July 16th, 2009, 9:33 AM
Yeah, something besides a scraggly Mesquite!! :))

BillK
July 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM
It was a long, long, long time ago. Let's just say that Fred Lynn, Carl Yastremski and Jim Rice were playing for the Red Sox.

You and I were in Boston in the 70's then at the same time. Yaz was it!
Bill

Scarlett
July 16th, 2009, 8:26 PM
Ok, day four is over. Packing up...heading home tomorrow...JFK Library on the way out.
Anyhow, today was pretty darn cool. Headed up to Plymoth and saw that rock! Got to get on the Mayflower II, did the whole Plimoth Plantation. That was nice. And the monument to the Founding Fathers was IMPRESSIVE.
Anyhow, here are a few pictures from the day!

The Monument

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/plymoth4.jpg

That Rock

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/plymoth2.jpg

The Mayflower II

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/plymoth3.jpg

The Plimoth Plantation. A US History Teacher's Mecca.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/plymoth1.jpg

I just really thought I should see how close I could get to a bee and not get stung.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/plymothflowers.jpg

Scarlett
July 16th, 2009, 8:27 PM
P.S. I actually tried oysters in a half shell tonight. I ate one...so I can say I tried it. Tasted like salt, felt like snot...not a fan. But hey...I DID IT! Picture of THAT is on facebook....lol.

CenTexDave
July 16th, 2009, 10:00 PM
You and I were in Boston in the 70's then at the same time. Yaz was it!
Bill
Was stationed at Fort Devens, but went to many Sox games.

CenTexDave
July 17th, 2009, 4:52 AM
Scarlett: It's "Plymouth", not "Plimoth" or "Plymoth". Must have found a place which made some great chocolate martinis!:):))

BillK
July 17th, 2009, 6:19 AM
Was stationed at Fort Devens, but went to many Sox games.

I grew up in South Lancaster, Ma on a farm. Drove Lunenburg Road more often than I care to remember.

It seems that you and I had rather similar early years.
Bill

CenTexDave
July 17th, 2009, 7:46 AM
I remember Lunenburg
Scarlett was raving about the prime rib at the Chart House restaurant. I remember in Leominster there was an off-the-normal-pace restaurant named MainVille. Don't remember what street it was on, but it was a fairly busy street with large old houses. This restaurant was located in what was, at one time, a large house. That was the best prime rib of all time. An inch thick, took up the entire large plate, and you could cut it with a fork and the flavor was unbelievable. Everything on the menu was outstanding. A little pricey for back then (mid-70's) - think the prime rib dinner was $10.95!!

CenTexDave
July 17th, 2009, 7:50 AM
And today starts Scarlett's fun trip back home.
Unless the way into Logan Airport has been seriously upgraded, the fun she will have trying to get to Logan and turn in the rental car!!
I have never in my life seen an airport that was so hard to get to and out of. I truly hope it's been simplified.

BillK
July 17th, 2009, 8:12 AM
I remember Lunenburg
Scarlett was raving about the prime rib at the Chart House restaurant. I remember in Leominster there was an off-the-normal-pace restaurant named MainVille. Don't remember what street it was on, but it was a fairly busy street with large old houses. This restaurant was located in what was, at one time, a large house. That was the best prime rib of all time. An inch thick, took up the entire large plate, and you could cut it with a fork and the flavor was unbelievable. Everything on the menu was outstanding. A little pricey for back then (mid-70's) - think the prime rib dinner was $10.95!!

The Old Mill restaurant http://www.1761oldmill.com/ was the place to take your girl when you wanted to have a special evening when I was there.

Great "popovers".

Bill

BillK
July 17th, 2009, 8:13 AM
And today starts Scarlett's fun trip back home.
Unless the way into Logan Airport has been seriously upgraded, the fun she will have trying to get to Logan and turn in the rental car!!
I have never in my life seen an airport that was so hard to get to and out of. I truly hope it's been simplified.

It has - the "big dig" made this a very simple trip and very easy. This airport now is one that I fly into with the fewest problems (except that it always looks like you are gong to land on the water.)

Bill

BillK
July 17th, 2009, 8:15 AM
I remember Lunenburg

Do you remember a store called "Spag's"?

It was kinda like Sams club is now - my grandmother would take me there and purchase clothing ten sizes too big and say "Billy - you will grow into it". Aghhhhh! I would trip on the trouser legs and have to pull up the sleeves - I NEVER had ANY clothing that fit right from Spags.

Oh well - memories.

There was also an ice cream stand that EVERYONE went to out of the beaten pat that had a sundae that could not e eaten by one person. It was huge - can't for the life of me remember the name right now.

Bill

THEMEANOGRE
July 17th, 2009, 8:16 AM
Dave, if you check, I believe at first the colony there was "Plimouth", and the spelling was subsequently changed. I think it is written that way in the "Mayflower Compact", our very first governing document. For confirmation check "The Freedom Shrine", there is a copy of that document among those.

CenTexDave
July 17th, 2009, 9:26 AM
Don't remember Spag's, but was the Old Mill once for a hail and farewell.

bbh
July 17th, 2009, 2:50 PM
Scarlett: It's "Plymouth", not "Plimoth" or "Plymoth". Must have found a place which made some great chocolate martinis!:):))

Okay, Dave....you're in way over your head. NEVER argue with your history teacher. Back then...it was PLIMOTH Plantation. William Bradford, the governor, called his definitive early-colonial work "On Plimoth Plantation."

You now must write PLIMOTH PLANTATION 500 times on the board! :-B

bbh
July 17th, 2009, 2:54 PM
P.S. I actually tried oysters in a half shell tonight. I ate one...so I can say I tried it. Tasted like salt, felt like snot...not a fan. But hey...I DID IT! Picture of THAT is on facebook....lol.

I've done serious research, and it is my opinion that oysters on the half-shell are overwhelmingly enjoyed by men more than women. My assessment of them is exactly the same as Scarlett's.

So the question should be..............why do men like snot more than women do? :-)

BillK
July 17th, 2009, 3:02 PM
I've done serious research, and it is my opinion that oysters on the half-shell are overwhelmingly enjoyed by men more than women. My assessment of them is exactly the same as Scarlett's.

So the question should be..............why do men like snot more than women do? :-)

As a MAN and a VEGETARIAN I can assert that I have no idea if I like them or not because I have never tried them. I can assure you that from the looks, cost and description and smell that I most likely will not change that status in the near future.

Bill

Scarlett
July 17th, 2009, 10:04 PM

Umm...just because history books might spell it your way, doesn't mean it is the right way Dave. I took this picture just for you!

The people here spell it this way. One should NEVER BLAME a chocolate martini!
And thanks for having my back on this one bbh and ogre!

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/bag.jpg

Anyhow, I am currently in Gainsville, Texas. Finally stopped to sleep before getting to my kids in Kansas. What a long day.

CenTexDave
July 17th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Gee, you mean that "Plymouth" Road Runner I owned back in 1968 was wrong?
Guess the Brits didn't know how to correctly spell then either. They still don't.

Scarlett
July 18th, 2009, 8:23 PM
Look for the big bronze relief monument in front of the Statehouse (with the gold dome). It's the one you see at the end of the movie Glory, dedicated to the Civil War 54th Massachusetts Infantry. Cool. Don't you love Boston Harbor?

Forgot to tell you, I saw this too...very impressive!

BillK
July 20th, 2009, 5:23 AM
Do you remember a store called "Spag's"?

It was kinda like Sams club is now - my grandmother would take me there and purchase clothing ten sizes too big and say "Billy - you will grow into it". Aghhhhh! I would trip on the trouser legs and have to pull up the sleeves - I NEVER had ANY clothing that fit right from Spags.

Oh well - memories.

There was also an ice cream stand that EVERYONE went to out of the beaten pat that had a sundae that could not e eaten by one person. It was huge - can't for the life of me remember the name right now.

Bill

At 4 AM this morning I remembered - "Kimball's Ice Cream":
http://www.kimballfarm.com/

Bill

Scarlett
September 7th, 2009, 7:12 PM
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/BostonHarborCruise.jpg

It was just brought to my attention that I might have some "splaining" to do about my neck...Seems someone on here thought I took a man to Boston, thus the mark on my neck!
I spent almost a month defending this...and didn't even realize I didn't mention it on my forum!
It REALLY IS A CURLING IRON BURN! I did it two months ago, and there is still a scar. At the time of the trip, it was 2 weeks old, scabbing over. Ask the group that went with me...everywhere we went someone mentioned it and I had to explain....
Now it is much lighter, but still there, and my students look at me weird...
How funny, when I was young I would blame a hickey on a curling iron...now that it really IS a curling iron burn, nobody believes me...HAHA. Oh well...

CenTexDave
September 7th, 2009, 9:15 PM
Sure, Scarlett. We believe you. You didn't take a man to Boston.

THEMEANOGRE
September 7th, 2009, 9:31 PM
Well, maybe she didn't. There was the bartender at the hotel that made those terrifically yummy chocolate martinis.

CenTexDave
September 7th, 2009, 11:06 PM
:thumbsup:))

Charles Grubb
September 10th, 2009, 3:49 AM
I am not accusing anyone of anything.
I have always advised my clients to never say anything to the police.
We all have the right to remain silent.
No matter how hard you try to explain, you will never be believed, anyway.
That said, and with the best and purest of intentions; I say once more, "Never offer an explanation."
Your TRUE friends and relatives never need one, and your detractors and haters will be more convinced of your guilt.
With that said, I will heed my own advice; and STFU!

bbh
September 10th, 2009, 8:31 PM
I thought that I was the only maniac with the curling iron! I have those marks constantly, and I've had the same problem with explaining myself when they're on my neck. (Sometimes I get the remarks even when there is a scab. I'm trying to imagine a hickey that causes a scab!)

I can't seem to go a week without a burn. They are on my neck, the side of my face...even on my ears! What can I say? I'm a curling iron klutz!

THEMEANOGRE
September 10th, 2009, 8:38 PM
I never realized that folks still used those danged things! I thought those that wanted curly hair just went and got a perm. Silly me

Scarlett
September 11th, 2009, 1:15 PM
I never realized that folks still used those danged things! I thought those that wanted curly hair just went and got a perm. Silly me

Heck no...I have naturally straight hair, and I USUALLY like to leave it straight...but on occasion I like a change.

CenTexDave
September 11th, 2009, 1:26 PM
The more I look at that pic of you on the banks of the River Charles, it looks like somebody tried to hang you.

THEMEANOGRE
September 14th, 2009, 4:17 PM
Inn looking over the pix, I noticed a big difference in the air quality between Dallas and Boston. In the first pic the color is vivid and vibrant. In the second, the same clothing looks dull and faded. And she was so glad to get out of the heat. But the trade off! :13: