PDA

View Full Version : Gun Stuff ( Messages moved from Missing Soldier Topic)

kantwin
July 11th, 2020, 8:58 PM
although back before you were born we used to keep our M1s in an unlocked rifle rack between rows of cots in our barracks bay with a # painted on the stock (wooden)....((yellow pine)).....mac
mac was in the army right after the upgrade from rocks and slingshots.

mac
July 11th, 2020, 11:33 PM
Yea but Mac, not many of us were in the Army when you had to load a musket with black
powder. :))

well, not quite that bad, but pretty close maybe. In BCT (Ft. Leonardwood) some of our trainee platoons were still armed with the 1903 and I was kind of jealous of that because I was already very familiar and proficient with the 1903A3 as many a white tail in Coleman County would've testified to.......always loved the 1903, at one time I wound up with 2 of 'em, had one of 'em converted to a 300 Win Mag and the other to a 25-06......both of 'em by an old gunsmith down the street up in Widefield, Colorado......sweet little shooters, they were....25-06 for pronghorn and whitetail and 300. win-mag for mule deer and elk....had manlicher stocks and turned down bolts on both of 'em....mac

Night Owl
July 12th, 2020, 2:03 AM
I have a 1903 303 caliber in my gun safe. Handed down to me from my Dad. When I got it it was modified to a sports rifle. After I joined the army I had is retuned to its original configuration.

mac
July 12th, 2020, 12:21 PM
I have a 1903 303 caliber in my gun safe. Handed down to me from my Dad. When I got it it was modified to a sports rifle. After I joined the army I had is retuned to its original configuration.

Owl: your Dad re chambered it from 30-06 to .303? Just out of curiosity, did you ever ask him why he did that?............mac

sojourner truth
July 12th, 2020, 12:46 PM
I know a few Marines who still swear the 1903 is the best rifle ever made. They tell stories of stories of when older Marines almost cried when they were swapped for M1s... A lot of the older Marines refused to give their 1903s up.

Pretty sure some of our snipers had them with scopes as well as plain old steel sights.

txswimmer
July 12th, 2020, 12:58 PM
The only times I handled a Springfield was as drill and color guard commander in college ROTC. We had bouncy rubber butt pads on them and banged ‘em and threw them around like crazy. Not one ever broke. When the President came to town (one of the good Republicans), the Secret Service went nuts on us until they saw we had no firing pins. Then they enjoyed the show.

I still like the M14. Never was a fan if the M16. Loved the M60 and the .50 cal. The.45 was a great sidearm. Now, i only have a Judge, a shotgun, and an old Nazi 9mm Luger. All work. I just never get to the range any more.

sojourner truth
July 12th, 2020, 2:26 PM
The only times I handled a Springfield was as drill and color guard commander in college ROTC. We had bouncy rubber butt pads on them and banged ‘em and threw them around like crazy. Not one ever broke. When the President came to town (one of the good Republicans), the Secret Service went nuts on us until they saw we had no firing pins. Then they enjoyed the show.

I still like the M14. Never was a fan if the M16. Loved the M60 and the .50 cal. The.45 was a great sidearm. Now, i only have a Judge, a shotgun, and an old Nazi 9mm Luger. All work. I just never get to the range any more.

Sigh... Haven't been to the range in years. And I have plenty of toys to shoot. I like my M1a, and my AK.... My AR is ok, but after having lugged one around forever, it wouldn't appeal to me unless it dispensed cold beer. One of my new favorites is my MP 15-22. Shoots faster than heck, and the ammo is cheap. I have a 1911 but can't hit a bull in the butt if it is farther than 20 feet away. Now my 9mm and .380... they are nice little home protection pieces. I always have one of them within arms reach. My wife hates it, especially when company comes over, but that's tough.

Night Owl
July 12th, 2020, 3:52 PM
Owl: your Dad re chambered it from 30-06 to .303? Just out of curiosity, did you ever ask him why he did that?............mac
He didn't. The 1903 was produced in three different calibers; 22, 303, 30-06.

mac
July 12th, 2020, 4:01 PM
He didn't. The 1903 was produced in three different calibers; 22, 303, 30-06.

well, i'll be damned...i did not know that. thank you, Owl.............seems like an awful lot of rifle for a .22....I think the Brits were still in love with that .303 round back then (they really liked, and still do, the Enfield .303, so that sort of makes sense if they wanted to sell any to the Brits...(this is all pre-NATO, of course).......mac

Grasshopperglock
July 12th, 2020, 4:03 PM
The 22lr version was for training. Low recoil and cheap.

kantwin
July 12th, 2020, 4:33 PM
I have a pump action rifle in 22WRF.
Super hard to find ammo for that.

fchafey
July 12th, 2020, 4:44 PM
Sigh... Haven't been to the range in years. And I have plenty of toys to shoot. I like my M1a, and my AK.... My AR is ok, but after having lugged one around forever, it wouldn't appeal to me unless it dispensed cold beer. One of my new favorites is my MP 15-22. Shoots faster than heck, and the ammo is cheap. I have a 1911 but can't hit a bull in the butt if it is farther than 20 feet away. Now my 9mm and .380... they are nice little home protection pieces. I always have one of them within arms reach. My wife hates it, especially when company comes over, but that's tough.

Enjoy the laugh. I took my CHL class back in 2010 i guess with my Colt Combat Commander 45 (yes princess likes Colts and HKs too). We lined up, the range guy stated lock and load one magazine, place your weapons on fire and....BOOM!....cease fire cease fire, who was that? My son in law happily said "The Safety Guy"...the instructor made me tell everyone what I do for a living and then tell them how range safety is important. Everyone was laughing pretty hard when the instructor said, lets have some fun, he then said everyone except the safety guy, place your weapons on safe, drop your magazines and clear your weapons. We shall watch Safety Fred qualify....great....... I qualified....barely.....it was kind of funny...

Grasshopperglock
July 12th, 2020, 5:05 PM
I have a pump action rifle in 22WRF.
Super hard to find ammo for that.

Here you go,

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/22wrf

The availability isn't an issue. It's the price. 20cents each on average.

Edit: Here's another website that show real time ammo prices,

http://www.gunbot.net

kantwin
July 12th, 2020, 5:46 PM
Here you go,

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/22wrf

The availability isn't an issue. It's the price. 20cents each on average.

Edit: Here's another website that show real time ammo prices,

http://www.gunbot.net

Yeah, I don't shoot it much.
Back a few years ago when all 22 ammo was hard to come by is when I pretty much stopped looking.
I have a couple of boxes of 22WRF.

Grasshopperglock
July 12th, 2020, 6:05 PM
Back a few years ago when all 22 ammo was hard to come by is when I pretty much stopped looking.

I'm about the same. I have a little over a thousand of 22lr. I'd always buy the Winchester white box 550rounds.

I guess my most unique calibre is 450 Bushmaster. I have about 120 rounds.

I'm not going to say how much 5.56 I have. Lithuanian NATO surplus, headstamp, "GGG" . Steel core. With enough reloading supplies to redo them all plus 1000.

Maybe 50 rounds of 9mm. 15-20 of 40 S&W. 15(?) Rounds of 38 Special.

I won't and don't need more ammo for the perceivable future. Unless it's 308. I need some of that. 12ga bird shot too.

sojourner truth
July 12th, 2020, 10:13 PM
I have a ton of 22LR. My MP 15-22 only like American Eagle brand, and has all sorts of issues with anything else.

I too have a ton of 7.62 Nato and Russian (7.62x39) Easy enough to get at most times, and 5.56 and 223. My AR will eat both 223 and 5.56. Don't have much pistol ammo though. Few hundred rounds of 45, 9mm and .380.

Still, that's plenty to either start my own war, or make someone very happy should they get into my stash.

ANyhow, as for todays update, it seems that the major news outlets are now carrying the story about Vanessa Guillen as it has something they are interested in... Trying to make the Army look bad. Got news folks, the Army doesn't need any help doing that.

txswimmer
July 13th, 2020, 7:01 AM
Trying to convince some female friends to ?arm up?. Unfortunately, they all want ?cute? guns, with low calibers. One is real excited about her pink .22. She has never fired it. When I suggested she get a shotgun, because those stop more home invaders (usually even the sound of racking one up will make the burglar flee), she said she didn?t want to be ?Annie Oakley?. Oy.

ExKilleencitizen
July 13th, 2020, 8:36 AM
Trying to convince some female friends to ?arm up?. Unfortunately, they all want ?cute? guns, with low calibers. One is real excited about her pink .22. She has never fired it. When I suggested she get a shotgun, because those stop more home invaders (usually even the sound of racking one up will make the burglar flee), she said she didn?t want to be ?Annie Oakley?. Oy.

And besides, Sleepy Joe Biden said to just get a double barrel shotgun and if somebody is breaking into your house, just go outside and fire 2 shotgun rounds in the air to scare them off. When the Minneapolis riots started, Sleepy Joe said he didn't understand why police weren't trained to just shoot suspects in the leg. This guy is just absolutely stupid. Stupid + Left Wing Nutcase + Dementia = Down right dangerous.

Grasshopperglock
July 13th, 2020, 10:26 AM

I handed the woman a Remington 700 in 308. Had her stand up and free hand shoot it. Figuring she'd drop the rifle or complain about the recoil.

Nope. She popped off another 2 rounds and enjoyed it.

Recoil is a lot less standing up. The body absorbs it better then shooting off a bench.

I can do 5-7 rounds of 450 Bushmaster off the bench before my shoulder is tender. Standing up, it feels close to high brass 12ga.

Grasshopperglock
July 13th, 2020, 2:26 PM
I went looking through my change box for a West Point minted quarter. It has a "W" on the face of the coin.

During the coin hunt. I found some boxes I had forgot about.

Forget what I said about 9mm. I have hundreds of rounds. Also have about 200rounds of 300 Blackout. The barrel for those is leaning against the T.V. Cabinet. AR Stoner brand, 16" in stainless .

Also found another 80 rounds of 450. More 22lr.

There's also some 7.62x39. Ammo for an AK. I don't own an AK.

Hmmm.....I wonder exactly how much ammo I really have. There's not a drawer in the house outside the kitchen that doesn't have a few loose rounds of ammo. I say outside the kitchen but I'd bet there's some in there too.

There's a P-Mag for an AK. One of the big 30 rounders.

Found the HK USP in 40S&W. I had hid it on a book shelf.

xzochye
July 13th, 2020, 9:03 PM

My son and I went to the range in Cove last Thursday and had a good time trying out a few different guns. He found a 1911 he liked at Guns Galore on Thursday and went back to buy it and the darn placed closed 15 minutes early! He worked all day Friday so he went first thing Saturday and it was gone. Glad he toom me to get my gun first. :):))

We are going to go look at a couple of stores in Belton and Temple tomorrow to see if there is anything he likes.

txswimmer
July 13th, 2020, 10:14 PM
My son and I went to the range in Cove last Thursday and had a good time trying out a few different guns. He found a 1911 he liked at Guns Galore on Thursday and went back to buy it and the darn placed closed 15 minutes early! He worked all day Friday so he went first thing Saturday and it was gone. Glad he toom me to get my gun first. :):))

We are going to go look at a couple of stores in Belton and Temple tomorrow to see if there is anything he likes.

My brother, God rest his soul, had quite the arsenal. It has been two tears, but my sister in law can’t let go of anything, yet. I understand that, but I sure would love his SigSauer compact .45. My nephew, who has the biggest arsenal in the family, is trying to get me to go the CZ route. I need a compact for my LTC.

Any thoughts?

xzochye
July 14th, 2020, 12:00 AM
My brother, God rest his soul, had quite the arsenal. It has been two tears, but my sister in law can’t let go of anything, yet. I understand that, but I sure would love his SigSauer compact .45. My nephew, who has the biggest arsenal in the family, is trying to get me to go the CZ route. I need a compact for my LTC.

Any thoughts?

My son bought me a very pretty S&W Shield EZ .380 and I love it! What makes it so pretty is it's Tiffany Blue! LOL Do like we did...scope out several that you like then go to a range and rent them to see what you like the best.

My son was torn between the Glock 17 and 1911 45 and after shooting we both like the 1911 best.

mac
July 14th, 2020, 12:30 AM
My brother, God rest his soul, had quite the arsenal. It has been two tears, but my sister in law can?t let go of anything, yet. I understand that, but I sure would love his SigSauer compact .45. My nephew, who has the biggest arsenal in the family, is trying to get me to go the CZ route. I need a compact for my LTC.

Any thoughts?

well, there ain't no doubt about it, that CZ you're talkin' 'bout is undoubtedly a very fine pistol. I've had 2 of 'em and, boy howdy!.....sure do like 'em, slick as grease...........but I would still recommend to you to go the Ruger route.......I may wind up by 5 of 'em this fall....anybody know if that gunshop over in Holland is still there?.....mac

sojourner truth
July 14th, 2020, 1:54 PM
I love my 1911... If you miss, it sure scares the crap out of the intended target. If you hit it. it will not need a second round. Unless you are just wanting to add misery to pain.

My Sig Sauer double action slider was an excellent handgun, and it saw more than a few Graf trips. I had to get rid of it when my wife found our daughter (then 4 years old) had climbed up on top of pillows and toys and got it down from on top of our shrank. Never mind that the rounds were well hidden and no where near the gun. When she saw the baby, and the gun, that was all it took. Never bought another weapon until daughter grew up and married and moved out. Momma is still nervous because I always sleep with a firearm close to me, and she tends to wander about at night.

Grasshopperglock
July 14th, 2020, 2:17 PM
I taught my youngest daughter at 5 to shoot. First it was 22lr. Then 17HMR.

Set her and her sister up on a small hill. Placed the target 25yards out. After a safety talk. I set The bag of ammo between them. From reloading the mag to charging the rifle. All I had to do was re-up the ammo.

Fast forward to this household that didn't have a firearm when I showed up. Now Mom has a S&W Shield in 9mm. Her daughter has a 380 Glock(42).

I don't sleep with a firearm. But there's a Glock 43, and an AR Pistol next to the bed. Extra mags for both and a back scratcher. I hate waking up with an itch.

As for a daily carry. It's a S&W Airweight revolver and two knives. Ones a push dagger, the other is a lock blade. Both are Benchmade.

xzochye
July 14th, 2020, 4:06 PM
I love my 1911... If you miss, it sure scares the crap out of the intended target. If you hit it. it will not need a second round. Unless you are just wanting to add misery to pain.

My Sig Sauer double action slider was an excellent handgun, and it saw more than a few Graf trips. I had to get rid of it when my wife found our daughter (then 4 years old) had climbed up on top of pillows and toys and got it down from on top of our shrank. Never mind that the rounds were well hidden and no where near the gun. When she saw the baby, and the gun, that was all it took. Never bought another weapon until daughter grew up and married and moved out. Momma is still nervous because I always sleep with a firearm close to me, and she tends to wander about at night.

My son found his gun today. A Springfield Amory 1911 45

sojourner truth
July 14th, 2020, 4:38 PM
My son found his gun today. A Springfield Amory 1911 45

Yep... That is the one I have in the dresser next to my bed. Nice copy of the real deal. And it shoots and tears down the exact same way. Springfield does an excellent job of making military rip offs... My M1a is a spitting image of my old M14, except for the bayonet lug, it is almost the same.

txswimmer
July 14th, 2020, 5:43 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys.

xzochye
July 14th, 2020, 11:02 PM
Yep... That is the one I have in the dresser next to my bed. Nice copy of the real deal. And it shoots and tears down the exact same way. Springfield does an excellent job of making military rip offs... My M1a is a spitting image of my old M14, except for the bayonet lug, it is almost the same.

He was hesitant at first. He originally wanted a Rock Island but when he went back it was gone. This one was about $500 more but after he saw it had a nice case and a few accessories with it he was happy.

mac
July 14th, 2020, 11:40 PM
He was hesitant at first. He originally wanted a Rock Island but when he went back it was gone. This one was about $500 more but after he saw it had a nice case and a few accessories with it he was happy.

whoa up......what's the difference 'tween a "Rock Island" and a Springfield? Aren't they one and the same?.....sure hope your son didn't get ripped off by a shyster gundealer....mac

Grasshopperglock
July 15th, 2020, 8:55 AM
Looky here,

The Feds shut down a Chinese website that deals in, "Solvent Traps".

https://thenationalpulse.com/news/china-detroit-guns/

Now before you get upset that you didn't know about the website. That now, you'll have to risk getting bore cleaner on the carpet. Being an environmentally irresponsibly butthead.

That's OK because these guys have been around a couple decades.

https://www.preppersdiscount.com

Mestral
July 15th, 2020, 4:37 PM
I think you are going to have to have some custom made.

I will try to find a story from a while back about someone shot with a 22.
I used to have two of them, one kinda funny and one kinda bloody.

sojourner truth
July 15th, 2020, 6:07 PM
Sort of like the redneck who blew a fuse in his pickup and tried to replace it with a 22LR round he found laying on the floor of said pickup... He made the Darwins list of dumbasses who deserved to meet their maker.

fchafey
July 16th, 2020, 7:20 AM
Hypothetically speaking:

Hey this pin is stuck in the T&E.....
I think I can get it out with a round.....
Hey Dumba$$, you are using the tip, turn it around you get a flatter face....
Thanks.....BOOM!.....Where did my thumb and 1st finger go?

15-6 recommendation? purchase little hammers to hang off the T&E to help aid in pin removal. Priceless, absolutely priceless.....

Mestral
July 16th, 2020, 12:02 PM
I will try to find a story from a while back about someone shot with a 22.
I used to have two of them, one kinda funny and one kinda bloody.

These links don't work any more (gee, they're only 8 years old), but I have some clippings from them:
http://www.texas-fire.com/2012/02/shooting-victim-drives-himself-to-waco-fire-station/
http://www.kwtx.com/news/headlines/139864623.html

Police said the 41-year-old man, whose name was not released, attempted suicide by shooting himself in the chest with a .22 caliber rifle. Afterward he evidently changed his mind and drove himself to the fire station to request medical assistance. He suffered a collapse lung, but is expected to recover, police said.

The second story is in the "not nearly so nice" catagory. This appeared on the website "BrassFetcher," but now that site is gone.

Sammie Foust had never fired a gun in her life. She aimed for the man's center of mass and pulled the trigger. It sounded like a little cap pistol. There was no recoil, no blood. She figured the gun had misfired.
The medical examiner concluded the first shot had entered his mouth, the second his heart, the third and fourth bullets his abdomen and groin. He had taken nearly an hour to bleed to death.The bad news for her is that he almost beat her to death before succumbing to the effects of being shot.

Here is part of an article I wrote on the subject of defending yourself with a handgun:

The results of shooting someone with a small caliber weapon are unpredictable. In all likelihood, the results will not be immediate. But they could still very easily bleed to death later. This is the intimidation factor of a small caliber weapon, that the person will suffer serious injury and might die.

But there is a vast difference between what a robber might use to intimidate someone he doesn't think will be armed, and what a person should use to defend his or her home. The first one chooses to intimidate, the second has little choice, but to fight.

When faced with a situation where you must fight, your objective isn't, "sometime later, they might die." The objective is that they will imediately not be able to carry through with the attack.

sojourner truth
July 16th, 2020, 12:11 PM
My favorite story was about the woman who was shot 7 times by her husband with a .25 automatic. She went to the ER complaining of chest pain, and the doctor removed all of the bullets that had barely broken the skin on her chest.

My dad used to tell me that it would be better to have a hammer than a .25 auto.

I do keep an MP 15-22 under my bed at night. It would be my second choice after my 45 in case of a break in. Still, the MP has a 30 round clip so I suppose it would be a slow and painful ordeal for the recipient.

Mestral
July 16th, 2020, 12:26 PM
I can't find the written account of the third story, but I remember it well, since it was my old neighborhood. SouthEast Austin in the early 80's was pretty run down. We had "day labor" workers that lived in the area, many of them in some apartments on a street named Durwood. There is a park next to the apartments, and I think it used to be called Durwood Park, now the map shows Gillis Gark.

A couple of the "Day Laborers" got into an argument over pay, and when one began to walk away, the other drew a 22 caliber pistol and shot him in the back. Seeing the man fall down, the shooter got into his car and drove away. Once the shooter was gone, the other guy got up and drove himself several miles, to the hospital (near 15th and I-35, called Brackenridge Hospital at the time, but I don't think it is there, now).

Grasshopperglock
July 16th, 2020, 1:05 PM
I have a BB stuck in my back. Middle school fight on the walk home. I was shot in the back. It went about a half inch in.

I felt the tap but that was it. At the time I was wearing a black shirt. A friend asked why my shirt was wet. So I pulled up my shirt. The wet was blood.

The doctor asked if I wanted him to cut it out. That's a negatory, Doc.

It's creepy being in an MRI. I swear I can feel it move.

Then there was the time, I was peppered with a load of bird shot out of a 410. Unlike the BB, shotgun pellets hurt like a bitch. But none of them penetrated. Lucky for me. The bird shot was lead. The BB was American made steel.

Ludwig
July 16th, 2020, 3:00 PM
Sort of like the redneck who blew a fuse in his pickup and tried to replace it with a 22LR round he found laying on the floor of said pickup... He made the Darwins list of dumbasses who deserved to meet their maker.As I heard the story, the fool did not die but had his gonads shot off. Either way, he was a dumbass.

gnatsum
July 16th, 2020, 3:31 PM
I have a BB stuck in my back. Middle school fight on the walk home. I was shot in the back. It went about a half inch in.

I felt the tap but that was it. At the time I was wearing a black shirt. A friend asked why my shirt was wet. So I pulled up my shirt. The wet was blood.

The doctor asked if I wanted him to cut it out. That's a negatory, Doc.

It's creepy being in an MRI. I swear I can feel it move.

Then there was the time, I was peppered with a load of bird shot out of a 410. Unlike the BB, shotgun pellets hurt like a bitch. But none of them penetrated. Lucky for me. The bird shot was lead. The BB was American made steel.

Do you fly commercially? Must be fun going through airport metal detectors and having to explain why it went off.
My dad went to his grave with a few pieces of metal shrapnel in parts of his body, courtesy of Victor Charlie back in '69..or maybe not, as he was cremated before internment.

Grasshopperglock
July 16th, 2020, 3:50 PM
Do you fly commercially? Must be fun going through airport metal detectors and having to explain why it went off.
My dad went to his grave with a few pieces of metal shrapnel in parts of his body, courtesy of Victor Charlie back in '69..or maybe not, as he was cremated before internment.

It's too small. I've never tripped a walk through detector. If I hold a wand up to the area and don't move it. It'll give a faint signal. Less then a metal button. Or belt buckle.

Even weirder. If the VA takes a chest xray. You can see it but they never ask what it is. I tell them I have a BB in my back. The usual response, "We were wondering what that was".

sojourner truth
July 16th, 2020, 4:21 PM
Whenever I do an MRI they always ask me if i have any metal in my body... I always tell them yes, courtesy of the NVA.... It never stops them, and itr never bothers me at all. Besides, like the doctor who treated me at the evac said, "I got most of it, but the rest will work its way out over time"... It still works its way out every now and again, and probably will till the day I die. Just part of being there I suppose. Shoot, everyone on that fire support base got shrapnel... We got hit daily by NVA mortars.

Have to ask around and see if there was anyone who escaped the steel.

Night Owl
July 16th, 2020, 6:29 PM
Whenever I do an MRI they always ask me if i have any metal in my body... I always tell them yes, courtesy of the NVA.... It never stops them, and itr never bothers me at all. Besides, like the doctor who treated me at the evac said, "I got most of it, but the rest will work its way out over time"... It still works its way out every now and again, and probably will till the day I die. Just part of being there I suppose. Shoot, everyone on that fire support base got shrapnel... We got hit daily by NVA mortars.

Have to ask around and see if there was anyone who escaped the steel.
Be glad the Pearly Gate doesn't have a metal detector.:))

kantwin
July 16th, 2020, 9:33 PM

My grandfather had a BB in his check, under his left eye, from his teenage years. I never knew it was there.
Sometime after he turned 98, it started to work its way out, and for some reason started bruising. It looked like he went 10 rounds with Ali. That?s when he told me about it.
He passed at the age of 102 - darn BB was still there.

gnatsum
July 17th, 2020, 3:54 PM

I messed up--he was incountry from Mar 70 to Mar 71. '69 were either at Bliss or Hood, depending on the month. I was barely 5.

mac
July 17th, 2020, 4:01 PM
Whenever I do an MRI they always ask me if i have any metal in my body...

yeow, I always get the same questions, especially after they see the extra belly buttons.,........anyway, my stock answer is always "don't know, sometimes there is and sometimes there ain't.....mac

sojourner truth
July 17th, 2020, 4:59 PM
You call them belly buttons... My wife calls them extra #######s and zippers.

mac
July 18th, 2020, 12:37 AM
You call them belly buttons... My wife calls them extra #######s and zippers.

i was talkin' 'bout entry and exit wounds.....i think your wife was talkin' 'bout surgical scars.......i got some of those too....my daughters also call them zippers......impertinent little snits.......mac

oops, never mind, i just figured out what all those pound signs meant......funny way to spell ass holes....mac

Ludwig
July 18th, 2020, 1:43 PM
Ass and hell are Biblical words.

mac
July 18th, 2020, 3:05 PM
Ass and hell are Biblical words.

nah.....they're English...

sojourner truth
July 19th, 2020, 10:50 AM
Tell it to Balaam...:)) The only man famous for sitting on his ass. Or talking to his ass for that matter.

mac
July 19th, 2020, 12:44 PM
Tell it to Balaam...:)) The only man famous for sitting on his ass. Or talking to his ass for that matter.

i used to know a guy that talked 'through' or maybe it was 'out' his ass.........

sojourner truth
July 19th, 2020, 1:33 PM
I do that now and again... Ergo, the facemasks.

My wife keeps telling me that there is a difference between oputput and input, and that it would behoove me to get straight which end is for what...:)

mac
July 19th, 2020, 4:26 PM
I do that now and again... Ergo, the facemasks.

My wife keeps telling me that there is a difference between oputput and input, and that it would behoove me to get straight which end is for what...:)

i wish my daughters were that understanding.....they think it's absolutely horrible if I burp and would never suggest to me that I should use another "end", my other outlet end than my mouth for expelling excess or unwanted gas.....

Grasshopperglock
July 19th, 2020, 4:43 PM
Why fart and waste it, when you can burp and taste it.

Grasshopperglock
July 19th, 2020, 4:47 PM
I wanna book a hog hunt. One of those all inclusive trips. Where they go out their way to kiss your butt. Cabin, food, beer, and they process what you shot.

A fancy-fancy type place.

mac
July 19th, 2020, 5:10 PM
I wanna book a hog hunt. One of those all inclusive trips. Where they go out their way to kiss your butt. Cabin, food, beer, and they process what you shot.

A fancy-fancy type place.

well, except for that "fancy-fancy" business, you're in the right place. Lots of places to book feral hog hunts 'round here....tons of 'em....and they'll take care of bidness, put you up, feed you, drive you around, butcher and dress the kill and stuff like that but not "fancy-fancy", just the basics......hells bells, some of 'em will even furnish you the gun and rounds (never did understand that part of itl....mac

mac
July 19th, 2020, 5:12 PM
Why fart and waste it, when you can burp and taste it.

i've heard that before but never quite understood it. the only thing I've ever tasted in a burp is radishes.......mac

sojourner truth
July 19th, 2020, 7:36 PM
i've heard that before but never quite understood it. the only thing I've ever tasted in a burp is radishes.......mac

Must be disappointing on Taco night...:))

kantwin
July 19th, 2020, 7:43 PM
the only thing I've ever tasted in a burp is radishes.......mac
Pepperoni has done it for me a few times.

sickofpc
August 6th, 2020, 1:05 PM
Know you can't give a difinitive answer, but can someone tell me about what a 30 year old Remington 30.06 with a scope might be worth?..It is in very good shape...

Johnny Frederick
August 6th, 2020, 1:18 PM
Depends on the model
PM me the details and I will get you a value.

Johnny

mac
August 6th, 2020, 2:39 PM
Know you can't give a difinitive answer, but can someone tell me about what a 30 year old Remington 30.06 with a scope might be worth?..It is in very good shape...

what is it? a 700 or something else?.....mac

sickofpc
August 6th, 2020, 11:14 PM
It is a Remington Model 721...

mac
August 7th, 2020, 11:42 AM

oh wow........too many variables to tell without lookin' at it..........maybe $500, if you're lucky. It's a great rifle, one of the best....built on a mauser style action. One of my snipers in country used one and it was a tack driver but sadly, truth be told, the scope on the one you have may be worth more than the rifle itself........mac

sickofpc
August 7th, 2020, 11:53 AM
I'm no gun expert, by any means, but the rifle, and the scope, both look to be in very, very good to excellent condition.

Ludwig
August 7th, 2020, 12:13 PM
I'm no gun expert, by any means, but the rifle, and the scope, both look to be in very, very good to excellent condition.Can you ID the scope? As mac said, the scope may or may not have greater worth than the rifle it sits upon.

Grasshopperglock
August 7th, 2020, 12:32 PM

$350-$400. Made from 1948 to 1962. It really won't matter about the scope. There's nothing that rare someone would mount on a 721.

Not knowing the brand of the scope. $35-$75.

There's a 1985 Remington 870 wingmaster above my fireplace. It's in very good condition. Easy, 85%-90%. It's Remington's top of the line. Gloss blue, gloss wood, metal trigger guard. Improved choke, 12ga.

It's a $375- $425 dollar shotgun. All day long.

mac
August 7th, 2020, 2:21 PM
$350-$400. Made from 1948 to 1962. It really won't matter about the scope. There's nothing that rare someone would mount on a 721.

Not knowing the brand of the scope. $35-$75.

There's a 1985 Remington 870 wingmaster above my fireplace. It's Remington's top of the line.

no no no! the wingmaster is not their "top of the line" it's not even the top of their 'pump' shotgun line......hells bellls, not even close!....that honor would go to the Remington 870 American Classic....or even more so, since it hasn't been made since '83, is the 3200. Remington could make a mint if they were to only bring that old gal back into production.....mac

CenTexDave
August 7th, 2020, 3:10 PM
Just read Remington has filed for bankruptcy

Grasshopperglock
August 7th, 2020, 3:12 PM
no no no! the wingmaster is not their "top of the line" it's not even the top of their 'pump' shotgun line......hells bellls, not even close!....that honor would go to the Remington 870 American Classic....or even more so, since it hasn't been made since '83, is the 3200. Remington could make a mint if they were to only bring that old gal back into production.....mac

Remington is bankrupt. The bad triggers on the 700 cost them big time. Epoxy glue was over applied. A sharp bump on the rifle or a hard bolt close and bang.

All the Remington express stuff is knocking what's left of the brand.

I have a recalled 700 ADL with the original death trigger. It's never been sent back. One of these days, I'll install an aftermarket trigger and call it even.

mac
August 7th, 2020, 3:32 PM
Remington is bankrupt. The bad triggers on the 700 cost them big time. Epoxy glue was over applied. A sharp bump on the rifle or a hard bolt close and bang.

All the Remington express stuff is knocking what's left of the brand.

I have a recalled 700 ADL with the original death trigger. It's never been sent back. One of these days, I'll install an aftermarket trigger and call it even.

i'll be damned. my experience with the recall was 180 degrees different. I returned 2 BDLs and 1 ADL, at their expense, and all 3 of them were returned with Timney triggers! Couldn't hardly believe my eyes when I saw they were Timneys. They did a damned good job of cleanin' em up too. Made a very happy customer out of me......I guess my only complaint would be it took 'em about 6 months to get 'em back to me....mac

mac
August 7th, 2020, 3:37 PM
Just read Remington has filed for bankruptcy

wow....that's no bueno! they could save their company with a re-intro of the 3200 w screw in chokes.....and they have to already know that.....i wonder why they would try to go bankrupt......maybe it's a ploy to get some of that good ole covid19 money.....would almost bet it is....would almost bet that Remington Arms will still be in business a year from now....mac

sickofpc
August 7th, 2020, 3:40 PM
mac and Ludwig, I can't find a name or number anywhere on the scope of the 721.
Do you think Remington going bankrupt will raise the value or devalue the gun?

mac
August 7th, 2020, 3:52 PM

doesn't make any sense but......c'est la vie.....

i doubt if there's anything you can do to make the gun more valuable than what it would take to make it more valuable....manlicher stock, maybe, zeiss scope prob'ly, set triggers possibly.....but that'll all run into big bucks...save it for your oldest son....mac

Grasshopperglock
August 7th, 2020, 3:52 PM
wow....that's no bueno! they could save their company with a re-intro of the 3200 w screw in chokes.....and they have to already know that.....i wonder why they would try to go bankrupt......maybe it's a ploy to get some of that good ole covid19 money.....would almost bet it is....would almost bet that Remington Arms will still be in business a year from now....mac

A native American tribe, I don't know the name, has offered to buy the company.

mac
August 7th, 2020, 3:54 PM

nope....

Grasshopperglock
August 7th, 2020, 4:02 PM
I'll pay $75 for a pristine, all steel, El Paso scope. No scratches, clear lenses.

Here's some examples,

https://thea.com/Rifle-Scopes-El-Paso/

For anything else, I don't want. A modern Nikon is all I need. Or a Japanese made, single power, Weaver. K6 or K4.

Ludwig
August 7th, 2020, 4:28 PM
For my hunting style, a scope just gets in the way. Even if I saw a deer at 100 or more yards I would not take the shot and at lesser ranges a steel, open sight is sufficient.

Grasshopperglock
August 7th, 2020, 5:29 PM
Try sticking a red dot on the rifle. Like an Aimpoint Pro. We're not talking AR's. Use it with a bolt rifle. My 700 has a rail for a sight base. 308. I balanced the rifle with the front receiver bolt being the neutral point. It swings better then a shotgun. The scope for it is a Japanese made Weaver k6. Fine cross hairs. For when you feel like being lazy.

With the red dot anything inside 100 yards is easy to hit if you're braced steady. Within 50 yards, you can cut your name. I call it the 'Pig slayer 3000'.

mac
August 7th, 2020, 5:35 PM
Try sticking a red dot on the rifle. Like an Aimpoint Pro. We're not talking AR's. Use it with a bolt rifle. My 700 has a rail for a sight base. 308. I balanced the rifle with the front receiver bolt being the neutral point. It swings better then a shotgun. The scope for it is a Japanese made Weaver k6. Fine cross hairs. For when you feel like being lazy.

With the red dot anything inside 100 yards is easy to hit if you're braced steady. Within 50 yards, you can cut your name. I call it the 'Pig slayer 3000'.

well, since that sucker has a "front receiver bolt", can you tell me where it is in relation to the "rear receiver bolt"?....sure would 'ppreciate it.....mac

mac
August 7th, 2020, 5:38 PM
For my hunting style, a scope just gets in the way. Even if I saw a deer at 100 or more yards I would not take the shot and at lesser ranges a steel, open sight is sufficient.

yeow, it might be if you're aimin' at the whole animal. ought not do that. shoot for the liver and use a 5X scope for a quick and sure kill.....i've seen way too many wounded deer and hog in my time.....Respect the animal and make it as clean, painless and humane as possible......mac

Grasshopperglock
August 7th, 2020, 5:41 PM
well, since that sucker has a "front receiver bolt", can you tell me where it is in relation to the "rear receiver bolt"?....sure would 'ppreciate it.....mac

Breech side of the receiver. The bolt that doesn't go through the trigger guard. The other bolt going through the stock, closest to the muzzle. If your rifle has a feed gate, same place.

That's the neutral spot on the rifle for which it's balanced off. You should be able to balance the rifle using only the front receiver bolt area to hold the rifle.

mac
August 7th, 2020, 5:48 PM

get rid of the weaver rails on put on some pitcannys....mac

mac
August 7th, 2020, 5:51 PM
Breech side of the receiver. The bolt that doesn't go through the trigger guard. The other bolt going through the stock, closest to the muzzle. If your rifle has a feed gate, same place.

That's the neutral spot on the rifle for which it's balanced off. You should be able to balance the rifle using only the front receiver bolt area to hold the rifle.

ahhhhh, i don't think those are "bolts", grasshopper and.....I prefer a heavy front end on my rifles....mac

Grasshopperglock
August 7th, 2020, 5:52 PM
get rid of the weaver rails on put on some pitcannys....mac

That's what I meant. A Remmy 700 picatinny sight rail. Weaver uses bases. Which are horrible.

Ludwig
August 7th, 2020, 5:53 PM
yeow, it might be if you're aimin' at the whole animal. ought not do that. shoot for the liver and use a 5X scope for a quick and sure kill.....i've seen way too many wounded deer and hog in my time.....Respect the animal and make it as clean, painless and humane as possible......macNope. I aim for the lungs just behind the front leg on either side. Best shot is a through and through which deflates both the right and left lungs; any other shot will ruin a lot of good meat. Sometimes I damage the heart but that makes me unhappy since that's good eating. BTW: I have never kept a trophy. I shoot for meat only. As to hogs, they are vermin which I have little interest in adding to my freezer thus any hit is good.

Grasshopperglock
August 7th, 2020, 5:59 PM
ahhhhh, i don't think those are "bolts", grasshopper and.....I prefer a heavy front end on my rifles....mac

Fine, Mr Mac. Receiver screw.

They come from the factory front heavy. When it's balanced. 50/50 front to rear. With scope or red dot. It's harmony. Fung sway' type stuff. It works with you. It's extremely nice.

Grasshopperglock
August 7th, 2020, 6:03 PM
Nope. I aim for the lungs just behind the front leg on either side. Best shot is a through and through which deflates both the right and left lungs; any other shot will ruin a lot of good meat. Sometimes I damage the heart but that makes me unhappy since that's good eating. BTW: I have never kept a trophy. I shoot for meat only. As to hogs, they are vermin which I have little interest in adding to my freezer thus any hit is good.

That's why you donate the hog. If you know any Mexicans. Tell them you want 2 dozen tamales and they can have the rest.

Hogs have to be shaved. It's a nasty job. A Mexican can sharpen a piece of aluminum siding and shave it proper. Make money off it or feed their families.

Ludwig
August 7th, 2020, 6:08 PM
I shot a hog once and left him to rot in the pasture. The buzzards were not even interested in feeding off it. After about five days, thinking that perhaps the hide was too tough for the buzzards, I split the carcass open. They still did not want any part of it and I finally had to bring in the scoop loader to bury it.

Grasshopperglock
August 7th, 2020, 6:15 PM
Watch out, because they use a blood thinner poison to kill them. I've never seen it personally but it's suppose to turn the fat blue. A marker it's been poisoned.

You fed the trees by burying it. I'd bury it under a garden.