PDA

View Full Version : Older dog training-help please

Godzilla
July 8th, 2009, 8:07 AM
5 years ago I brought a stray home fom school, it was cold and he touched my heart.

As he got older he became very aggressive. He appears very insecure, and is highly food aggressive( he eats seperate from the other dogs). He is afraid of storms and any loud noise.

I can't take him for walks or have others care for him, I am afraid to take him to a kennel for vacation so we go nowhere.

Is their anyone out there who can train older dogs? He is a large australian mix, he is beautiful with the blue merle coat and one crystal blue eye.

I am actually afraid of him, he is very protective of the family, he was very aggressive with the vet. My husband says if I am afraid of him, I should get rid of him, he is just so darn unpredictable.

I think maybe good dog training would help, so if anyone knows of anyone, let me know. :wacko:

FieryPrincess
July 8th, 2009, 2:34 PM
He has you trained.

Contact the ladies at Roomin'; and Groomin' and tell them your story and they will get you on the right path. The hgandout that they give at the first lesson in regards to food is very important. There is nothing that is the dog's. It is all yours and YOU allow everything he gets.

If it were me, I would take away the food for a little bit. It is hot and they don't need as much anyway.(NOtice that i do NOT advocate taking away the water) When he got hungry enough, he would have to eat from my hand until that aggression thing backed away. Then again, that is me and something different might work better for you.

He became agressive as he trained you. Mess with him for a bit. Analyze what triggers things, his reactions, your reactions and look for a pattern. He behaves as he does to get something or to maintain his position as alpha over you. Time to remind him why he continues to live - it is all because of your good grace.

Godzilla
July 8th, 2009, 4:16 PM
Thank you. I will contact Roomin & Groomin.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
July 13th, 2009, 4:45 PM
I agree. Roomin and Groomin is a great option for help with this dog. This situation should be handled by very experienced personnel. Good luck with the training.

Godzilla
July 14th, 2009, 5:03 PM
Thank you. He is not agressive with me, just one of my dogs when it comes to food.
But I am afraid to have him around other people. I will contact Roomin and Groomin.
I appreciate everyones assistance.

richard dick young
July 15th, 2009, 3:18 PM
call the dog whisperer or buy his cd on this he is excellent and quick