PDA

View Full Version : fighting dogs

melissa
July 7th, 2009, 7:51 AM
I recently adopted a boxer from Cove animal shelter. He is very gentle. He has only met my lab through the fence and the lab is all teeth like he wants to fight.
How do I introduce the two without having an all out brawl?

CenTexDave
July 7th, 2009, 8:11 AM
Has the lab been neutered? He/she sounds very aggressive. Labs will protect what they perceive to be their territory.

melissa
July 8th, 2009, 8:23 AM
Yes Dave, he has been neutered and he is scared of his own shadow, When someone come to the door, he barks and then goes and hides under the bed.

CenTexDave
July 8th, 2009, 11:46 AM
OK. So he is very gentle, barks when someone comes to the door and then hides under the bed, yet appears aggressive towards this boxer by growling and showing his teeth.
Put them together and see what happens. If he's as gentle and chicken as you say he is he'll turn tail and run.

BrindleBoxerMomx3
July 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM
From past experience of introducing a new dog (not puppy) into the house you must introduce them in a neutral setting, possibly a park. Yes dogs are very territorial and will be very defensive in their yard. Also as a longtime Boxer owner myself, try and keep a brawl from happening. Boxer's are a very loving breed but they do hold grudges. If a fight happens once boys will be boys and will almost always fight again but can still learn to love again. Take the introduction slow and Good Luck! I hope the lucky Boxer boy has the forever home he obviously deserves.o:-)