PDA

View Full Version : American Alliance of Football

fchafey
February 10th, 2019, 10:32 AM
Watched the AAF's opening game last night. San Antonio Commanders beat the San Diego Fleet 15-6. They put about 22K in the Alamodome. Bill Polian and Hines Ward are the league's front office. 8 teams run 10 weeks starting the Saturday after the Super Bowl. No gimmicks other than the eye in the sky can call down and undue blatant penalties not called. Hope it lasts, tickets run 14-24 dollars. Not bad.

sojourner truth
February 10th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Watched the AAF's opening game last night. San Antonio Commanders beat the San Diego Fleet 15-6. They put about 22K in the Alamodome. Bill Polian and Hines Ward are the league's front office. 8 teams run 10 weeks starting the Saturday after the Super Bowl. No gimmicks other than the eye in the sky can call down and undue blatant penalties not called. Hope it lasts, tickets run 14-24 dollars. Not bad.

Yep... Also saw David Cobb playing too. The former Ellison standout di a pretty good job.

Talked to a retired coach at church this morning and he told me he had talked to both Cobb and Showers and they are both doing well in their places right now.

Just a matter of time until we hear more on these 2.

CenTexDave
February 11th, 2019, 9:06 AM
Was on TV? A little advertising to let people know it's on television would help.

fchafey
February 11th, 2019, 9:11 AM
Was on TV? A little advertising to let people know it's on television would help.

Exactly. My wife said who knew about this? I learned when I got here in 86 that there seems to be a cut off line for news. Back then the Cowboys were horrible, but the Oilers were doing well, yet all we heard was Dallas this and Dallas that. Same with the Astros when they lost the NL Championship that year to the Mets. Next weekend is a long weekend and we are going to go see the Commanders play. We have gone to a few Texas stars hockey games in Cedar Park and have really enjoyed them. That place is nice and the food and beer is very reasonable. The Alamodome is nice as well.

kantwin
February 11th, 2019, 10:25 AM
The Alamodome is nice as well.
The last time I was in the Alamodome was when Killeen High football was in a playoff game.
My youngest daughter was the drum major for the band. My oldest daughter and I went to every game that year, including the away games. We chose to sit close to the field, and the guy right in front of us was standing and waving his arms around, cheering. About 5 or 6 minutes into the game, I asked him if he planned on standing the whole game, and if so, I'd move, since he had not sat down at all since arriving. He sat down, and kept complaining to the guy next to him that he couldn't stand up to cheer. Jackass.
2 pretzels, 2 drinks, 2 hotdogs = $52

sojourner truth
February 11th, 2019, 12:05 PM
We found out about it when our coach friends wife sent my wife an email and told her about it.

I didn't know it was on until I heard my wife back in the bedroom watching it on the TV in there because she wanted to watch it instead of what I was watching. Can't blame her. Seems the channels I like are all showing shows about animals killing each other in the wild, and giving graphic shows of the meal afterward. Gross.

gnatsum
February 11th, 2019, 5:42 PM
No gimmicks other than the eye in the sky can call down and undue blatant penalties not called. Hope it lasts, tickets run 14-24 dollars. Not bad.

Not quite "blatant penalties", but someone on the radio this morning said the AAF has different rules, and mentioned the play in which the quarterback lost his helmet after getting hit during the play. In the NFL, that hit would've been a penalty, but in the AAF...that was a legitimate move.

CenTexDave
February 17th, 2019, 11:27 AM
Watched last night's game between Arizona and Memphis. Started out as a joke, but turned into a decent game in the 4th. But seriously - I think some of the excellent college teams would clean their clocks.

sojourner truth
February 17th, 2019, 2:15 PM
San Antonio is playing at 3PM today. My wife and I will watch to see how Cobb does, if he is allowed to play much that is.

fchafey
February 18th, 2019, 7:07 AM
I thought it was pretty good, though the Commanders lost, at least there was a bunch of point scored. I was switching between it and golf......and the race some....

CenTexDave
February 18th, 2019, 8:13 AM
A few familiar names in these games. Watched San Diego last night. Was a good game.

sojourner truth
February 18th, 2019, 10:59 AM
The San Antonio team has a really bad QB... And their pass defenders have a lot to learn. They should have won that game but the other QB was accurate, and his receivers actually caught the ball when it was catchable. Unlike the SA receivers who couldn't catch a cold in a hospital waiting room.

Their running game was, however, promising.

CenTexDave
February 18th, 2019, 12:39 PM
Agreed. And trying to watch Christian Hackenberg (former Penn State and NY Jets QB) in the early game was hilarious.

fchafey
February 18th, 2019, 2:40 PM
Gee, I wonder why none of these teams didn't sign Kaepernick...….they must be colluding too...

CenTexDave
February 19th, 2019, 6:28 AM
I read that they offered him but he turned them down. Probably too small a salary. :))

sojourner truth
February 19th, 2019, 8:44 AM
Yep... wanted $20 million or something really unreasonable for a player with skills no longer in evidence and plenty of personal issues that distract from the game. In other words, not worth the risk or the money.

kantwin
February 19th, 2019, 10:15 AM
He brings a lot of baggage, that's for sure.
I don't know of many people that would want to have to deal with that.
Even teammates would be asked, "What about {I can't even type his name}?"

CenTexDave
February 19th, 2019, 11:05 AM
ESPN is reporting that this new league was in danger of not making its payroll this week, so the Caroina franchise owner "invested" $250M in return for being made chairman of the league.
"Invested"? More like throw it away.

Ludwig
February 19th, 2019, 12:18 PM
Who says you can't buy your way into an office?!

fchafey
April 2nd, 2019, 1:00 PM
Well that didn't last. The AAF has suspended all operations.

https://www.cbssports.com/aaf/news/aaf-operations-reportedly-suspended-leagues-future-in-doubt-after-eight-games-of-first-season/

CenTexDave
April 3rd, 2019, 5:50 AM
Ridiculous. I'd watch the games whenever I remembered one was on. Thought it was a decent brand of football.

sojourner truth
April 3rd, 2019, 9:58 AM
Ridiculous. I'd watch the games whenever I remembered one was on. Thought it was a decent brand of football.

Me too... But it was difficult to figure out when and where to switch channels to in order to watch a game. Once I had that figured out, I was a regular watcher. Going to miss the games though, and seeing the talent of a lot of really great players who have not been picked up by NFL teams for one reason or other. I was talking to a coach friend the other day who frequently texts and talks to guys who are NFLers or on their training team rosters, and he told me that a lot of these teams will sign a really talented player and then sandbag them so other teams cannot sign them. They put them on their training squads, pay them a few hundred thousand a year, and they are happy for the most part. Think of it like baseball and their AAA teams where the players are there and just waiting for their time in the big tent.

CenTexDave
April 3rd, 2019, 11:07 AM
I think half their problem was lack of advertising. At least let fans know when the games are on TV. They started on CBS, then went to CBS Sports network, which few get unless you have cable/satellite. Then onto the NFL Network - same thing.
I thought it was a joke the first couple of games I watched - the QBs couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from 10 yards, and WRs always dropping the ball. But after a couple of weeks it improved dramatically and some really good football. Still LOL when I'd watch Trent Richardsos. The announcers tried building him up by always mentioning he was leading the league in TDs. But they never mentioned he only averaged 2.5 YPC. As a former Browns' #1 pick I would ROTFLMAO.

sojourner truth
April 3rd, 2019, 3:28 PM
Their problem was money. As in not enough of it pouring in to make them happy.:)