PDA

View Full Version : Cursive Making A Comeback?

CenTexDave
December 20th, 2018, 12:23 PM
Ohio passes law requiring cursive to be taught: http://www.kxxv.com/story/39676159/ohio-now-requires-students-to-learn-cursive
The law states learn to print by 3rd grade, write in cursive by 5th grade. Hate to tell these geniuses, but when I went to elementary school in Ohio
we learned to print in 1st grade and write cursive in 3rd grade. Another giant step backwards.

txswimmer
December 20th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Yeah - I got the tar beat out of me in third grade for crappy cursive. Now, my handwriting is so neat people wonder how it got that way. LOL Oh, well, didn't get whipped again!

sojourner truth
December 20th, 2018, 2:15 PM
My wife taught HS for 19 years and was telling me that so many of todays kids cannot write in cursive. I wondered why and she said that there is no need since most communication is done either on a laptop or texted.

She used to teach typing and keyboard, but that also went the way of the dinosaur when they figured out that qwerty was not what was used on most cell phones so the kids were lost. For those who do not know what qwerty is look at the first 6 letters on the upper left hand of your laptop. My cell phone has a qwerty format on it so it goes a lot easier for me. I am a 2 finger hunt and peck typist, but am pretty fast with it. Should have had the teacher learn me to do it right.:)) But I can write cursive. And, yes, I had really terrible cursive until my mom made me sit down and get it right. Now, if she could just get my doctor right.

kantwin
December 20th, 2018, 2:22 PM
I gave up cursive shortly after high school, mainly because I couldn't read my own handwriting.
Almost everything I write is in print, and in capital letters.

birdfriend
December 20th, 2018, 2:29 PM
I taught cursive writing to my second graders during the second semester. They loved it and forming the letters had a very calming effect on all of them.