PDA

View Full Version : Time to Start The Hype

CenTexDave
July 20th, 2018, 12:20 PM
HS football is right around the corner. Although first games are about 5 weeks away, practice for the Dawgs starts on Aug 6 because they did not hold spring football this year.
Everything I have read indicates Cove will be very good - key personnel returning, last year's two JV undefeated district champion teams (including wins over Midway) moving up, etc.
Dave Campbell's football mag places them as missing the playoffs. From what I have heard from people around town, that has totally pissed off the team. Midway, state finalist
last year, has lost the bulk of their team. Newcomer Temple will be tough I'm sure. Newcomer Waco won't. A 9 team district, so teams only get 2 non-district games to start the
year. Cove, because of no spring ball and early fall practices, has two scrimmages - first against Buda Hays Consolidated (they're always good) and the following week against
Abilene (always a powerhouse). So we should have a better idea going into the first game just how good the Dawgs are.
Good luck to all district teams, except when you play Cove.
Go Dawgs!!

fchafey
July 20th, 2018, 3:56 PM
Heard on the radio forty some days to the first college game too.

Night Owl
July 20th, 2018, 9:29 PM
I heard the Killeen teams reloaded again this and that they're still using blanks.:))

gnatsum
September 26th, 2022, 4:17 PM
Saw a Texas high school football score over the weekend. Think it was 1A (the old Six-Man?). Losing team scored 52 points. Winner had...102 points?!?! :-0

fchafey
September 27th, 2022, 5:57 AM
Saw a Texas high school football score over the weekend. Think it was 1A (the old Six-Man?). Losing team scored 52 points. Winner had...102 points?!?! :-0

Yes Sir. Whitharral (west of Lubbock) beat Throckmorton (kinda by Weatherford) 102-52...

sojourner truth
September 27th, 2022, 9:54 AM
They start talking about "Friday nite lights" on Mondays now. You would think all we do here is play HS football. Oh well, at least we know they are doing something in HS instead of studying to be astronauts. IE... Taking up a lot of space.

gnatsum
September 27th, 2022, 11:28 AM
In some HSs, it's basketball. Old story has it that some Dallas and Fort Worth HSs start off well in football, then once basketball season starts, the football teams start losing...

sojourner truth
September 28th, 2022, 8:45 PM
They have been trying hard to hype the HS football season for a month or more now. They start on Monday and get progressively worse as the week rolls on. You would think there is nothing else going on in the world but Texas HS football. I think what I hate more than anything is how it detracts from baseball at the end of its season.

fchafey
September 29th, 2022, 8:03 AM
Opening day for the NHL is October 11!

Ludwig
September 29th, 2022, 9:43 AM
HS football has always been a big deal in small-town Texas. It is the last bastion of non-professional sport.

sojourner truth
September 29th, 2022, 8:45 PM
I know. The wife and I used to go to every HS game Ellison played at home. She got us seasons tickets every year until last year. Friday night lights is ok, but they devote way too much time to it between commercials on the news.