PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2018

CenTexDave
July 2nd, 2018, 8:31 AM
Anybody been watching the World Cup? All the games are on Fox or FS1. I know Owl has been faithfully watching. :)
Defending champ Germany didn't even get out of pool play. They looked slow and old.
Yesterday in the elimination round Russia upset Spain in penalty kicks are 120 minutes of a 1-1 tie. Then Croatia did the same to Denmark, double OT and then penalty kicks.
A pretty good tournament. Read that Russia cannot keep up with the spectator's requests for beer. Definite beer shortage in Russia. :))

Night Owl
July 2nd, 2018, 9:00 AM
World Cup? Is that about finding out who's boat is fastest?:)

fchafey
July 2nd, 2018, 9:00 AM
I have been catching what I can. I am on leave for the next two weeks and have Brazil and Mexico on now. I was rooting for Germany but alas they are gone. The way the brackets are aligned looks good for a Spain Brazil final. I like soccer.

CenTexDave
July 2nd, 2018, 9:42 AM
I'm taking Uruguay. They have won all 4 games so far and have looked good doing it.

CenTexDave
July 2nd, 2018, 9:46 AM
Yellow cards all over the field in Brazil-Mexico.

CenTexDave
July 2nd, 2018, 10:45 AM
Adios, Mexico. :)

mac
July 2nd, 2018, 10:47 AM
Adios, Mexico. :)

1-0?

CenTexDave
July 2nd, 2018, 10:48 AM
2-0 now

CenTexDave
July 2nd, 2018, 10:49 AM
I have been catching what I can. I am on leave for the next two weeks and have Brazil and Mexico on now. I was rooting for Germany but alas they are gone. The way the brackets are aligned looks good for a Spain Brazil final. I like soccer.

Sorry, Fred, but Spain was eliminated by Russia yesterday.

mac
July 2nd, 2018, 10:49 AM
2-0 now

thanx dave

what time (our time) does england start?

CenTexDave
July 2nd, 2018, 10:58 AM
1PM, Fox.

fchafey
July 2nd, 2018, 3:13 PM
Sorry, Fred, but Spain was eliminated by Russia yesterday.

Oh yea, you are right. Let me revise that to England-Brazil….

CenTexDave
July 2nd, 2018, 3:18 PM
thanx dave

what time (our time) does england start?

Tomorrow, 1PM. They take on Colombia. First game at 9Am - Sweden and Switzerland. All games on FOX.

CenTexDave
July 2nd, 2018, 3:20 PM
Oh yea, you are right. Let me revise that to England-Brazil….

Goodbye, Japan. They had a 2-0 lead until Belgium decided to get their heads out and scored the winning goal at 4:00 of stoppage time. Tough way to lose that late.
Brazil-Belgium will be a butt kicker. The winner will get the winner of Uruguay-France. That semi winner will, I believe, win the World Cup. The other side of the bracket is weak.

CenTexDave
July 3rd, 2018, 11:15 AM
Sweden knocks off Switzerland, 1-0, an will play the winner of today's late game, England-Colombia, in the quarter finals.
England-Colombia on Fox at 1PM.

CenTexDave
July 3rd, 2018, 3:00 PM
Although the USA isn't in this World Cup, it's still been a good tournament with a lot of surprises.
Here's the quarter finals (all matches on either Fox or Fox Sports 1 - DirecTV channels 44 and 219):
Friday, July 6: 9AM - Uruguay vs France; 1PM - Brazil vs Belgium
Sat, July 7: 9AM - Sweden vs winner of Colombia-England (currently tied 1-1 in stoppage time); 1PM - Russia vs Croatia
Tues, July 10: semi finals game 1, 1PM
Weds, July 11: semi finals game 2, 1PM
Sat, July 14: Third place game (losers of semis), 9AM.
Sunday, July 15: Championship, 10AM

England vs Columbia currently head to extra time ( 2 - 15 minute OTs, then if still tied a penalty kick shootout)

CenTexDave
July 3rd, 2018, 3:54 PM
England beats Colombia on penalty kicks and will play Sweden on Sat.
Feel sorry for the Colombian goalie - will probably be assassinated when they get home. :)

CenTexDave
July 3rd, 2018, 6:22 PM
Don't laugh. Happened a few World Cups ago - at least I think it was the World Cup - where a Colombian defender kicked an own goal right by his goalie. Once home - bang!!!!!

mac
July 3rd, 2018, 6:26 PM
Don't laugh. Happened a few World Cups ago - at least I think it was the World Cup - where a Colombian defender kicked an own goal right by his goalie. Once home - bang!!!!!

wow!....i didn't know they shot the poor guy. is that true or some more of that sarcasm stuff?.....mac

CenTexDave
July 3rd, 2018, 7:33 PM
No, it's true. Now might have been a car bomb, but he was assassinated. Most of the world takes this sport way too seriously.

fchafey
July 4th, 2018, 7:07 AM
Andres Escobar 1994.....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6682111/colombian-football-player-andres-escobar-gunned-down-after-own-goal/

CenTexDave
July 6th, 2018, 9:42 AM
Hope a couple people are watching - France vs Uruguay going now. France just got one - beautiful header off a free kick. Those who think this sport is boring should watch for once.
You want boring - watch a 1-0 baseball game, or a 7-3 football game.

fchafey
July 6th, 2018, 10:09 AM
The header was actually off a Uruguayan player. Right after that France's goalie probably had the save of the match.

fchafey
July 6th, 2018, 10:19 AM
Now that was a great goal.

CenTexDave
July 6th, 2018, 10:56 AM
France wins 2-0 and goes to the semis. That was a good match. Uruguay had its chances, just couldn't get the job done.
Next match should be good also - Brazil-Belgium. Hope Neymar gets a red card or breaks his leg. :)

mac
July 6th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Now that was a great goal.

you're right......great game!

Dave is right, down there, with his comments about Soccer. Someone once said that Combat was days of drudgery spiced with moments of sheer terror......that's kind of how it goes with fussball......but he is wrong about baseball. I really like MLB......i'd like it better if they'd put houston and dallas in separate leagues......even though the rangers have prob'ly already blown it for this year.....mac

CenTexDave
July 6th, 2018, 11:28 AM
The header was actually off a Uruguayan player. Right after that France's goalie probably had the save of the match.
Look again, Fred. The French player hit it before the other guy could get to it.
The ref turned a blind eye to numerous French holds, even in the box. Ray Charles could have seen some of those fouls.

CenTexDave
July 6th, 2018, 12:35 PM
you're right......great game!

Dave is right, down there, with his comments about Soccer. Someone once said that Combat was days of drudgery spiced with moments of sheer terror......that's kind of how it goes with fussball......but he is wrong about baseball. I really like MLB......i'd like it better if they'd put houston and dallas in separate leagues......even though the rangers have prob'ly already blown it for this year.....mac

Don't get me wrong, Mac. I like baseball - just gets too slow and long sometimes. Followed a game on the internet the other day and it took nearly four hours to play. No rainouts, just slow moving.

mac
July 6th, 2018, 2:21 PM
Don't get me wrong, Mac. I like baseball - just gets too slow and long sometimes. Followed a game on the internet the other day and it took nearly four hours to play. No rainouts, just slow moving.

yeow, i know, bugs the hell out of me too but i s'pect you'll agree that it's better than it was 6 or 10 years ago. we need to go back to the 7th inning stretch and that's it, let the networks put their stuff when they want to........mac

CenTexDave
July 6th, 2018, 2:28 PM
Belgium has Brazil's number and is leading 2-0 in the 70th minute. The ref isn't buying Neymar's frequent flops and theatrics. :)

CenTexDave
July 6th, 2018, 2:56 PM
Belgium takes it, 2-1. :))

CenTexDave
July 6th, 2018, 2:57 PM
I do believe the winner of Belgium-France in the semis will win it all.

fchafey
July 6th, 2018, 4:19 PM
Look again, Fred. The French player hit it before the other guy could get to it.
The ref turned a blind eye to numerous French holds, even in the box. Ray Charles could have seen some of those fouls.

I bolted right after the second goal. The grand daughter wanted Black's in Austin for lunch...….I do love Austin......traffic wasn't bad at all either way...….I will look again, it sure looked like the Uruguayan player was the last to hit it towards the goal.

CenTexDave
July 6th, 2018, 5:51 PM
They are saying it was an own goal, but I don't think so. From the angles I have seen it it looks like it came off the French player's head. Maybe the Uruguayan touched it after that but it was a good, hard header.

CenTexDave
July 7th, 2018, 10:22 AM
England currently over Sweden, 2-0, midway through the second half. England is looking good; the Swedes not so much.

mac
July 7th, 2018, 11:01 AM
England currently over Sweden, 2-0, midway through the second half. England is looking good; the Swedes not so much.

england vs france would really be neat.....mac

CenTexDave
July 7th, 2018, 11:49 AM
I think that is what we'll see.
Russia and Croatia up next. All the "experts" are picking Croatia, but wouldn't surprise me..............

CenTexDave
July 7th, 2018, 2:01 PM
Russia and Croatia tied 1-1 at halftime.

CenTexDave
July 7th, 2018, 2:58 PM
Regulation ends at 1-1. Going to the 2 OT periods.

CenTexDave
July 7th, 2018, 3:28 PM
Croatia up 2-1, into the 2nd OT period now.

Ooops - Russia just tied it on a free kick and header. lol

CenTexDave
July 7th, 2018, 3:52 PM
Went to penalty kick shoot out after 2 OTs and tied 2-2. Croatia takes it on penalty kicks, 4-3. Each goalie stopped one, but a Russian kicker sent one wide of the goal.
So Croatia-English and Belgium-France in the semis.

CenTexDave
July 10th, 2018, 12:35 PM
France and Belgium in the first semi today at 1PM. TV is Fox.
Tomorrow at 1PM in the second semi is Croatia and England.

CenTexDave
July 10th, 2018, 3:48 PM
The ref must have worn blue because Les Bleu (France) flopped all game, committed numerous penalties never called and eked out a 1-0 win.

Night Owl
July 10th, 2018, 4:28 PM
The ref must have worn blue because Les Bleu (France) flopped all game, committed numerous penalties never called and eked out a 1-0 win.
But did he flip? Without a flip, flops don't count.:))

CenTexDave
July 11th, 2018, 1:26 PM
England up on Croatia, 1-0, midway through the first via a free kick from just outside the box.
English fans whooping it up. Doubt there is a sufficient supply of beer in this stadium though.

CenTexDave
July 11th, 2018, 3:34 PM
Incredible. Croatia ties it, then takes the lead in extra time (double OT).
Now 2-1 with 4 minutes of stoppage time remaining. I didn't think Croatia was this good.

CenTexDave
July 11th, 2018, 3:40 PM
Croatia wins it!!!!!!!!
Two more games:
third place: Saturday, 9AM CT
Championship: Sunday, 10AM

CenTexDave
July 14th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Belgium defeated England, 2-0, for third place. Don't know if it was because England had one less day of rest, but they never looked as if they were in the game.
Tomorrow is the big one. 10AM on Fox - Croatia and France. Croatia is like England - one less day off. But don't think it will really make a difference as France
is too good.
Really makes me wonder what the US could have done if we made the World Cup. We played France to a 1-1 draw about 4 months ago, and we were not using
the usual members of our national team. France did have a few regulars missing, but the US went with a whole team of young players.

fchafey
July 14th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Belgium defeated England, 2-0, for third place. Don't know if it was because England had one less day of rest, but they never looked as if they were in the game.
Tomorrow is the big one. 10AM on Fox - Croatia and France. Croatia is like England - one less day off. But don't think it will really make a difference as France
is too good.
Really makes me wonder what the US could have done if we made the World Cup. We played France to a 1-1 draw about 4 months ago, and we were not using
the usual members of our national team. France did have a few regulars missing, but the US went with a whole team of young players.

The US doesn't really effort men's soccer like the other big three. The women on the other hand are really good. I had wondered where Soccer ranked amongst the most popular in the US and it was 4th at 7 percent. Of course, Football, Basketball, and baseball/softball were the top three. Interesting, world wide it is Soccer, Cricket, Field Hockey, Tennis......

Ang
July 14th, 2018, 12:13 PM
I wish it started later...I'll be at church and will be missing most, if not all of it. I'm pulling for Croatia, mostly because my son-in-law lived there for 6 yrs... he's a Big Fan.

Ludwig
July 14th, 2018, 1:25 PM
I wish it started later...I'll be at church and will be missing most, if not all of it. I'm pulling for Croatia, mostly because my son-in-law lived there for 6 yrs... he's a Big Fan. It is for this reason that I love my DVR.

fchafey
July 14th, 2018, 3:23 PM
I wish it started later...I'll be at church and will be missing most, if not all of it. I'm pulling for Croatia, mostly because my son-in-law lived there for 6 yrs... he's a Big Fan.

I am pulling for Croatia as well. I spent a year at Camp Bondsteel in 2014 and was able to travel all over that area and it was the best deployment I was ever on. The food was amazing and the people were awesome.

Ang
July 14th, 2018, 4:07 PM
The daughter and son-in-law recently returned from a visit to Zegreb and Split. They love the food also. His parents are missionaries...that is the reason that he lived there. His Dad didn't much like being a missionary in Croatia. The locals would, from time to time, rough him up a bit, bust out a headlight...Bully type stuff. His parents are missionaries in Slovakia now...they are liking that pretty well.

CenTexDave
July 14th, 2018, 5:15 PM
I hope Croatia wins also.
While I've never been there, I do like their food. There was an excellent Yugoslavian restaurant in Stuttgart, Germany that I frequented back in the early 80's. Their Dalmatian rost braten was superb.

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2018, 11:20 AM
So much for an upset. France is blowing them out midway through the second half, 3-1.

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2018, 11:24 AM
Make it 4-1. Croatia appears lost.
Still was a great tournament for Croatia. At least they don't import their players like France does.

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Croatia scores, now 4-2. France's goalie decided to get cute, had his defense kick the ball back to him and he clowned around with it. Croatian player charged him,
took the ball away and put it in the net. lol
Starting to get a little more interesting now.

mac
July 15th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Croatia scores, now 4-2. France's goalie decided to get cute, had his defense kick the ball back to him and he clowned around with it. Croatian player charged him,
took the ball away and put it in the net. lol
Starting to get a little more interesting now.

yep......and just when I had decided it was gonna be a rout. France should've gift wrapped that one......

mac
July 15th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Make it 4-1.
Still was a great tournament for Croatia. At least they don't import their players like France does.

Modrick's a Croat?

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2018, 11:56 AM
I don't know where he's from, but can tell you half of France's team are not from France. They may be French citizens now, but not home grown for sure.
It's over. France wins.
Still a great showing by Croatia, a country of 4 million, against one of the world's big boys.

mac
July 15th, 2018, 12:05 PM
I don't know where he's from, but can tell you half of France's team are not from France. They may be French citizens now, but not home grown for sure.
It's over. France wins.
Still a great showing by Croatia, a country of 4 million, against one of the world's big boys.

totally agree with your last sentence.......great series by Croatia....mac

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2018, 12:11 PM
One thing I think FIFA needs to look at is the one day difference between the two semi-finals.
France beat Belgium on Tuesday in their semi. Croatia beat England on Weds in theirs.
Now if there is a 5 day gap between the semis and the finals it is one thing, but France had 4 days off while Croatia only had 3.
After playing for 3 weeks, these teams are worn out. While Croatia gave it a good shot, you could tell they were really dragging
in the second half.
Make the semis on the same day and give each team the same amount of rest.

mac
July 15th, 2018, 12:12 PM
One thing I think FIFA needs to look at is the one day difference between the two semi-finals.
France beat Belgium on Tuesday in their semi. Croatia beat England on Weds in theirs.
Now if there is a 5 day gap between the semis and the finals it is one thing, but France had 4 days off while Croatia only had 3.
After playing for 3 weeks, these teams are worn out. While Croatia gave it a good shot, you could tell they were really dragging
in the second half.
Make the semis on the same day and give each team the same amount of rest.

yep, agree again.....tried to make the same point last night at a poker game.......mac

Ang
July 15th, 2018, 3:01 PM
Well heck, maybe Croatia can pull it off next yr.

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2018, 3:11 PM
Next World Cup is 2022. Every 4 years.

kantwin
July 15th, 2018, 5:24 PM
France may have won the World Cup, but the good ol' US of A has won every Super Bowl.

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2018, 5:45 PM
France has a pretty young team. They'll be a force for years. Don't know how we managed to tie them in a "friendly" played in March. We didn't even have our regulars
on the team for that match. Most of them were former members of our U-21 and U-20 squads. Maybe that's why we tied them. :)

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2018, 7:30 PM
Read today the next one is in Qatar in 2022. Already talk about moving it from the summer to the winter because of the high heat.
Of course this is when most nations have their soccer leagues going. This will not go over well.

mac
July 15th, 2018, 10:41 PM
Read today the next one is in Qatar in 2022. Already talk about moving it from the summer to the winter because of the high heat.
Of course this is when most nations have their soccer leagues going. This will not go over well.

shoot.....the way Qatar spends money, they just might build a whole airconditioned field and arena......mac

CenTexDave
July 16th, 2018, 7:57 AM
I'm sure they could, but with 8 groups of 4 teams each, would need 4 stadiums for group play.
The point is if they do hold it in the winter, with all these country's soccer leagues in full swing,
how many will be able to attend?
In other words - FIFA is run by idiots in awarding this tournament to Qatar.

fchafey
July 16th, 2018, 8:46 AM
I'm sure they could, but with 8 groups of 4 teams each, would need 4 stadiums for group play.
The point is if they do hold it in the winter, with all these country's soccer leagues in full swing,

FIFA has long been rife with corruption, scandal and ineptitude. I watch quite a bit of Bundesliga and Barclay's Premier League and there is always jibes and commentary on the wonderful world of FIFA. Wonder how much money Qatar "donated" in order to get the tournament. F1 is almost as bad. Austin had to put up something like 25 million in order to get the F! event they have now.

sojourner truth
July 16th, 2018, 10:37 AM
2 Dead and rioting in France this morning... Way to go France.

mac
July 16th, 2018, 11:18 AM
FIFA has long been rife with corruption, scandal and ineptitude. I watch quite a bit of Bundesliga and Barclay's Premier League and there is always jibes and commentary on the wonderful world of FIFA. Wonder how much money Qatar "donated" in order to get the tournament. F1 is almost as bad. Austin had to put up something like 25 million in order to get the F! event they have now.

25 million?........to who, Fred?......

totally agree with your FIFA comments.......mac

mac
July 16th, 2018, 11:20 AM

I kind of s'pect it'll be the best championship playoffs ever.......for players, attendees and TV viewers alike.....mac

fchafey
July 16th, 2018, 3:06 PM
25 million?........to who, Fred?......

totally agree with your FIFA comments.......mac

From Wikipedia, but I read it elsewhere too. Sorry I guess I should have wrote 25 million a year for 10 years.......

"In June 2010 it was announced that the Austin area would host the Formula One, United States Grand Prix, from 2012 until 2021. The State pledged $25 million in public funds annually for 10 years to pay the sanctioning fees for the race. A Formula One circuit was built at an estimated cost of $250 to $300 million, and is located just east of the Austin Bergstrom International Airport Circuit of the Americas also plays host to MotoGP World Championships from 2013."