PDA

View Full Version : Frontline and outside cats.

kryptickancer
June 23rd, 2009, 4:58 PM
So, I have two strictly indoor cats and two inside/outside cats. I was wondering if it would do any good to keep frontline or the like on my cats if my outside cats just keep coming in with more fleas?

MeinLieberSchollie62
June 23rd, 2009, 6:07 PM
I am treating my outside cat as well just because to make him feel better and not have to carry those critters around on him - everyone at my house gets treated

FieryPrincess
June 23rd, 2009, 9:08 PM
If I spot one flea, ALL The critters get treated. My kids are probably lucky to avoid it...

kryptickancer
June 23rd, 2009, 9:10 PM
So it will work on outside cats then?

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
June 23rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
All of the topical flea control products only kill the fleas when they jump on the dog or cat. Therefore, if fleas are present in significant amounts in the environment then you will see fleas on the dog or cat. They should be dead or dying if your product was applied properly and is still within the efficacy window.

I always tell my clients that fleas are not a dog or cat problem but rather a PREMISE problem. That being so, successful control requires treatment of the pet with Frontline or other products and treatment of the house and yard. If all three bases are covered (I'm watching the CWS right now! Go Horns. I'm an Aggie but Travis Tucker and his dog Shooter are clients of mine) then fleas can be controlled.

TexMexYum
June 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
I keep Frontline on my mostly outside cats and don't have a problem. Our immediate yard doesn't have a flea problem, but there are several acres around me that aren't really a "yard". I wonder if I'm wasting my money?

FieryPrincess
June 23rd, 2009, 11:21 PM
I think it depends on a lot of things.

IN the 6 years we have lived here*, we only had to deal with fleas once and that was when the neighbors moved in behind us. They are our only direct neighbors. There are also several feral cats that breed like rabbits.

We have our yard treated for pests regularly and I'll treat the pets at the first sign of flea and continue to treat them until the box is gone (three months worth, usually). It seems to keep the pests down.

I spent too many hours on my knees picing fleas out of a yellow shag carpet and putting them in soapy water when I was a kid to even want to THINK about fighting them when they have built an army. I have seen fleas so bad that they have killed a puppy. They are not something to put off until later.

*Here meaning this address. I should also include the previous five years of my dog ownership in there.