PDA

View Full Version : New NBA Champ This Year

CenTexDave
April 10th, 2017, 12:17 PM
The Cavs are not looking good at all.
They beat the Celtics in Boston to open up a one game lead, then lose to Atlanta at home.
Then totally blew it yesterday - had a 26 point lead going into the 4th quarter at Atlanta and lost in OT.
They think they can turn it up when they get to the playoffs I imagine. They'll probably win the first round,
but after that they are fair game to be ousted.
They definitely need another big body. Thompson is more of a PF than a center. And their shooting guards this year
are about worthless.

fchafey
April 10th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Haven't followed it much this year. I do think whoever is going to win the championship will come from the West. My money is on Golden State, I don't think they thought they would lose it last year. Kind of like when the Mavericks won it all, sure shocked Miami....I do hear a lot of talk about how the Cavs are having issues with teams like Indiana and playing them in a multi game series isn't any help.

onetime
April 10th, 2017, 1:11 PM
The Cavs are not looking good at all.
They beat the Celtics in Boston to open up a one game lead, then lose to Atlanta at home.
Then totally blew it yesterday - had a 26 point lead going into the 4th quarter at Atlanta and lost in OT.
They think they can turn it up when they get to the playoffs I imagine. They'll probably win the first round,
but after that they are fair game to be ousted.
They definitely need another big body. Thompson is more of a PF than a center. And their shooting guards this year
are about worthless.

Now you're talking my language, the cavs remind me of the lakers when they had Malone and Payton that one season and got destroyed in the finals partly because of injuries. With that said no one is beating the cavs in the eastern conference. I think lebron is disinterested in the regular season, he's play in 7 NBA final series, home court advantage doesn't matter in the east and there is an interesting story on espn about why home court advantage is disappearing in the NBA. I'd like to mention that it deals with sexual hook ups and social media. Anyways I think last nights game was thrown to keep the heat out of the playoffs. Now lebron has played in two straight games and I believe tonight is a back to back so if he plays tonight I think that'll confirm what I'm saying. Either way they aren't beating the Warriors if their big four are healthy, well really Durant and curry.

Night Owl
April 10th, 2017, 2:29 PM
NBA? What's that?

CenTexDave
April 10th, 2017, 2:49 PM
Golden State should win it all. San Antonio, unfortunately will play the Warriors in the West Conf finals and lose in 6 or 7.
Cavs might not even get home court for the East playoffs. As of now, with two games to go, they and the Celtics are tied.

onetime
April 10th, 2017, 3:44 PM
Golden State should win it all. San Antonio, unfortunately will play the Warriors in the West Conf finals and lose in 6 or 7.
Cavs might not even get home court for the East playoffs. As of now, with two games to go, they and the Celtics are tied.

Basketball unfortunately suffers from a lack of competition on all levels, typically the with the best player wins. Now it's who has the best couple of players, in all my life the only time this hasn't been the case was the spurs/heat series and the pistons/lakers series. In no other sport do you see that trend happen year in and year out. The celtics have one all star, the cavs have a top five player all time and two 2nd and 3rd team all NBA players, quality players past their prime and some solid role players. It won't matter in the eastern conference finals.

CenTexDave
April 10th, 2017, 4:42 PM
I'm not so sure. The Cavs bench doesn't seem to produce much. Korver could probably be a starting SG on most teams, but half the time doesn't even get into a game.
And LeBron simply can't carry them all his own any longer - let's face it. The guy is getting old.

Night Owl
April 10th, 2017, 5:29 PM
The best series I ever watched was the Celtics/Lakers.

CenTexDave
April 10th, 2017, 7:23 PM
Those were the Battle Royales!!! Bird vs Magic, always a great series. Up until those guys hit the NBA the league was seriously losing attendance.
After the Lakers-Celtics period, then along came Michael Johnson.

onetime
April 10th, 2017, 8:13 PM
Those were the Battle Royales!!! Bird vs Magic, always a great series. Up until those guys hit the NBA the league was seriously losing attendance.
After the Lakers-Celtics period, then along came Michael Johnson.

Yup Michael Johnson came and revoultionized the sport, before that the only big time names were Jessie Owens and carl Lewis, wait? When did we transition to the men's sprinting events in track?

sickofpc
April 10th, 2017, 8:41 PM
You know Dave meant Jordan, WA. :doh

Night Owl
April 11th, 2017, 12:55 AM
The game being played in the NBA today is not basketball. Call it whatever you want but not basketball.

CenTexDave
April 11th, 2017, 6:39 AM
Very true. Same with NCAA Mens' b-ball. Watch the NCAA Women once in a while - they play it like it should be played.

onetime
April 11th, 2017, 8:35 AM
Very true. Same with NCAA Mens' b-ball. Watch the NCAA Women once in a while - they play it like it should be played.

I've got to disagree with that, football and basketball are more appealing to the eye then one you guys were looking at in the 70s and 80s. Better athletes, faster, and smarter. Women's basketball is inferior to the men's game in the same regard that men's college basketball is inferior to the NBA.

CenTexDave
April 11th, 2017, 8:47 AM
Faster - most likely. Smarter - oh hell no!!!!!!!

onetime
April 11th, 2017, 9:30 AM
Faster - most likely. Smarter - oh hell no!!!!!!!

Players are more efficient thus smarter, are all the players smarter no but you have a lot more young players in the league and AAU has dumbed it down a bunch. Think of it this way most of the players now could adjust their game to play in the 80s and 90s most players couldn't play now.

CenTexDave
April 11th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Probably true. A different era. I'm sure Jim Brown wouldn't dominate these days like he did 55 years ago either.

sickofpc
April 11th, 2017, 10:41 AM
The NBA is the closest thing you can find to back yard basketball. Few fundamentals, less effort, no defense (a little for the playoffs), all about scoring, selfish play, no total effort.....Good college games are always more interesting to me than the NBA, for many reasons...Women's college basketball now is much like men's basketball used to be. More fundamentals, designed offenses, and emphasis on defense and rebounding....The NBA is the very least brand of basketball that I would ever watch....onetime, you think that players like Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Walton, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird,Dave Stockton, Karl Malone and countless others couldn't play today? Really?
As far as the NFL is concerned, give me the old days when Butkus, Staubach, Sayers, Stallworth, Bradshaw, Stabler, Mean Joe Green, Starr, and Tarkenton played...the old Oakland Raiders, NY Giants, Redskins, Bears, Vikings, Steelers, Cowboys, and Dolphins. To me, that was when football was really the way football should be played.

onetime
April 11th, 2017, 10:58 AM
The NBA is the closest thing you can find to back yard basketball. Few fundamentals, less effort, no defense (a little for the playoffs), all about scoring, selfish play, no total effort.....Good college games are always more interesting to me than the NBA, for many reasons...Women's college basketball now is much like men's basketball used to be. More fundamentals, designed offenses, and emphasis on defense and rebounding....The NBA is the very least brand of basketball that I would ever watch....onetime, you think that players like Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, Bill Russell, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird,Dave Stockton, Karl Malone and countless others couldn't play today? Really?

Unfair, you listed top 50 players of all time there and yes they would be able to adjust but 90 percent of the league wouldn't make it. I don't think Russel would fit today, the game has passed him by, he's 6'7 and weighed 215 in his prime and played center. That would be Kobe Bryant believe it or not. The NBA isn't competitive because the money is guaranteed, very high for average players and the season is way to long. Just because someone makes crisp bounce passes doesn't mean I want to watch lesser athletes doing it.

sickofpc
April 11th, 2017, 11:14 AM
onetime, ...lesser athletes? You mean like Thomas, West, Stockton, Johnson, Malone, Chamberlain, Jordan and many, many other players from then?...The NBA has been watered down, because of so many teams and so many games. It is all about scoring. That is why you have the selfish, prima donna players like Bryant and Anthony, among others.

onetime
April 11th, 2017, 11:26 AM
onetime, ...lesser athletes? You mean like Thomas, West, Stockton, Johnson, Malone, Chamberlain, Jordan and many, many other players from then?...The NBA has been watered down, because of so many teams and so many games. It is all about scoring. That is why you have the selfish, prima donna players like Bryant and Anthony, among others.

Nah I was talking college and women's basketball and we are all prima donnas.

CenTexDave
April 11th, 2017, 1:26 PM
Unfair, you listed top 50 players of all time there and yes they would be able to adjust but 90 percent of the league wouldn't make it. I don't think Russel would fit today, the game has passed him by, he's 6'7 and weighed 215 in his prime and played center. That would be Kobe Bryant believe it or not. The NBA isn't competitive because the money is guaranteed, very high for average players and the season is way to long. Just because someone makes crisp bounce passes doesn't mean I want to watch lesser athletes doing it.
Russell was 6'9". His game was never about scoring but more about defense, screening out the opposition, hitting an open player with a nice pass.

onetime
April 11th, 2017, 2:47 PM
Russell was 6'9". His game was never about scoring but more about defense, screening out the opposition, hitting an open player with a nice pass.

Where does that translate to now? I don't think he was 6'9" have you seen him standing next to other NBA players?

Night Owl
April 11th, 2017, 3:04 PM
Where does that translate to now? I don't think he was 6'9" have you seen him standing next to other NBA players?
It translate into a great player. I've seen lots of 7'ers that weren't worth a crap and that's still true today.

Night Owl
April 11th, 2017, 3:06 PM
Nah I was talking college and women's basketball and we are all prima donnas.
Sure you were. How's that prima donna doing for you now? Not much it seems. It does seem you spent a lot of time on the sidelines when your time would have been better spent studying.

CenTexDave
April 11th, 2017, 4:24 PM
That's what his bio says - 6'9". I thought he was 6'10". And no center ever has played defense like him.