PDA

View Full Version : Roy Williams get 925,000 in bonuses for NCAA tournament

onetime
April 4th, 2017, 12:06 PM
The players got really cool hats, T-shirts, and bits of a basketball net. Hooray!!!! While things have changed a bit in the landscape of college (professional) sports it still has a long way to go.

fchafey
April 4th, 2017, 12:24 PM
Wonder what those refs got paid last night. They dominated the game. While I admire what Roy got in bonuses, I wonder what his agent got, that's the really smart person in the equation. ;)

Rick
April 4th, 2017, 12:26 PM
Who is Roy Williams and why should we care?

onetime
April 4th, 2017, 1:33 PM
Head coach of the Tar Heels and not sure where to go with the other question.

Ludwig
April 4th, 2017, 2:08 PM
The players got really cool hats, T-shirts, and bits of a basketball net. Hooray!!!! While things have changed a bit in the landscape of college (professional) sports it still has a long way to go.Write a nasty letter to the NCAA... they're the one's making the rules.

IMHO, collegiate sports should be limited to inter-mural sports. Colleges make enough money from tuition and research grants.

mac
April 4th, 2017, 2:16 PM
Who is Roy Williams and why should we care?

exactly! good for him and more power to him, unless of course, we're talkin' taxpayer money....mac

Rick
April 4th, 2017, 2:33 PM
Don't the players receive room board, tuition worth tens of thousands of dollars? The NBA will take players still in diapers. They chose free college as opposed to NBA payday.

As for what the coach earns, it's called free market.

Night Owl
April 4th, 2017, 2:54 PM
The players don't have to play. They can go to college and pay their way like the majority of students do. Today's players don't play for love of the game, they play for the future $$$$$ they hope to make. Many players only get admitted to college because they can play a game and would never see the inside of a classroom based on their GPAs from high school.

fchafey
April 4th, 2017, 3:06 PM
The Golden Example that shoots a hole in the first post at what I think you are trying to get at would be Patrick Ewing. Scholar athlete for Georgetown his whole time there. Pro basketball Hall of Fame 2012. Just got hired to coach his Alma Mater for 4 million a year. Free education so to speak, a one per center achieving greatness, and the school that started it all is giving him even more money. America, everyone else is second place.

onetime
April 4th, 2017, 3:18 PM
The NBA and NFL have minimum requirements, you have to be out of high school for one year in the NBA and three years for the NFL. These requirements are not in place for any other sport, I wonder what that is about (sarcasm). Someone wrote that most of these players go to college seeking the monetary payout that comes with it. I wonder if said person realizes that's kind of what 99 percent of the people are going to school for. Someone else wrote that they receive tutition and room and board, true, but we aren't talking playing hoops at tarleton state either. These schools make billions, yes billions of dollars from football and basketball, when you're playing at one of those institutes, Texas, A&M, LSU, ALAMBAMA, you're not exactly playing a collegiate sport. I don't think it's in poor taste that these players get some type of compensation.

onetime
April 4th, 2017, 3:21 PM
Separate topic but along the same lines of a paper I wrote a while back how many people enlist in the military for the love of their country today as opposed to January of 1942? I think you could make a similar argument but it's typically frowned upon so I won't.

fchafey
April 4th, 2017, 3:27 PM
I made the same remark 6 months or so post 911 when everyone had American flags pasted everywhere. My thought was "I wonder how long, this is going to be En Vogue?" I will tell you, most of the country has moved on of course, but up North, hell no. Kind of like those people that remark "The South Shall Rise Again". One could also say that these type of people are carrying on their own personal Haj's and that when one usually gets hit. I do see where you are coming from. I think.

Rick
April 4th, 2017, 3:33 PM
The NBA and NFL have minimum requirements, you have to be out of high school for one year in the NBA and three years for the NFL. These requirements are not in place for any other sport, I wonder what that is about (sarcasm). Someone wrote that most of these players go to college seeking the monetary payout that comes with it. I wonder if said person realizes that's kind of what 99 percent of the people are going to school for. Someone else wrote that they receive tutition and room and board, true, but we aren't talking playing hoops at tarleton state either. These schools make billions, yes billions of dollars from football and basketball, when you're playing at one of those institutes, Texas, A&M, LSU, ALAMBAMA, you're not exactly playing a collegiate sport. I don't think it's in poor taste that these players get some type of compensation.
No matter what they were to get paid, it wouldn't be enough to satisfy the waaa waaa crowd.

I bet that the living conditions and food for the athletes is far better than for the schmuck having to take loans in order to get an education and actually study in order to pass.

On a side note, I say it's time for colleges to fund the loans for their education. Let them back up their product. That way, they have skin in the game and instead of providing safe spaces with play-doh and crayons, they'll provide classes that have some value once a student graduates. But that's another topic.

Ludwig
April 4th, 2017, 3:42 PM
Whereas Georgetown is a private university, no one should have an axe to grind with it except for the poor slobs who choose to matriculate there. It only costs them $48,611 for tuition and fees and when you add room and board the total cost of attendance is $66,971 for a year.

Night Owl
April 4th, 2017, 3:50 PM
They do get compensation but that's not enough is it?

onetime
April 4th, 2017, 3:52 PM
No matter what they were to get paid, it wouldn't be enough to satisfy the waaa waaa crowd.

I bet that the living conditions and food for the athletes is far better than for the schmuck having to take loans in order to get an education and actually study in order to pass.

On a side note, I say it's time for colleges to fund the loans for their education. Let them back up their product. That way, they have skin in the game and instead of providing safe spaces with play-doh and crayons, they'll provide classes that have some value once a student graduates. But that's another topic.

Yes they do at major 10 universities, but again in what business organization will you find your most important labor piece with a relatively low price ceiling? Also why is it ok to side with the free market in one scenario but not on the other? Universities are in place to operate as a business, if that wasn't the case they'd provide refunds to freshman that dropout after the 1st semester. They reduce the cost for prep classes. They give out refunds if the credits you earned at a CC didn't transfer.

sickofpc
April 4th, 2017, 3:53 PM
When I hear that mess about those athletes that don't get paid..it makes me sick. What a load of crap...First, they get all of their tuition, many out of state, which of course is higher,...the best food you can imagine, in a special place to eat, three meals a day,...travel to places they would never have ever been able to go, ...experiences they would have never had the chance to have....stipends...and living in usually the best dorm (athletic) on campus...as well as getting special, preferential treatment, classes, and professors to help them stay eligible and graduate...I think an athletic scholarship to Baylor or TCU is worth about $200,000 dollars now. Those poor college athletes, I feel so bad for them....When I went to school, I had my schedule, with the chosen professors, lined up for me when I got there,... pencils, pens, notebooks, textbooks, all supplies,....I was given a tutor for help if and when I needed her, ....we ate in our own cafeteria (more like a nice restaurant), nice tables, high back chairs...all you could eat, at every meal ..everything you could imagine for breakfast,...great lunches, ..and during spring ball and the regular season we had steaks every single night, along with our choices of several other meats.......The athletes don't get "paid"?

kantwin
April 4th, 2017, 3:54 PM

Give them compensation that equals the scholarship, then take it back as tuition/room/book payment.

onetime
April 4th, 2017, 3:56 PM

Do you like college football and basketball? Do you watch the national championship game? I don't think the system will succeed much longer in its current structure, people are smarter. Again I'm not talking playing ball at Huston tiltson, I'm talking North Carolina basketball where your on Tv two to three times a week, they sell jerseys and t-shirts with your number and so on and so on. You'd probably actually know some of the players on the court if they went to that system because non lottery players may stay more than a year. I'm not talking an NBA salary either.

Night Owl
April 4th, 2017, 3:59 PM
Do you like college football and basketball? Do you watch the national championship game? I don't think the system will succeed much longer in its current structure, people are smarter. Again I'm not talking playing ball at Huston tiltson, I'm talking North Carolina basketball where your on Tv two to three times a week, they sell jerseys and t-shirts with your number and so on and so on. You'd probably actually know some of the players on the court if they went to that system because non lottery players may stay more than a year. I'm not talking an NBA salary either.
So when is enough finally enough? They get paid a pretty good amount now, but it's still not enough is it? Why don't you set up a fund me account for all of them. I'm sure they will appreciate it.

Rick
April 4th, 2017, 4:01 PM
Yes they do at major 10 universities, but again in what business organization will you find your most important labor piece with a relatively low price ceiling? Also why is it ok to side with the free market in one scenario but not on the other? Universities are in place to operate as a business, if that wasn't the case they'd provide refunds to freshman that dropout after the 1st semester. They reduce the cost for prep classes. They give out refunds if the credits you earned at a CC didn't transfer.

It is free market. They choose the school that offers them the most. Like someone said, they can always go someplace and pay for their education.

Why should the rooms that are provided for free be nicer than the ones that someone is paying for?

Rick
April 4th, 2017, 4:10 PM
How much would they have to pay to be on TV two to three times a week?

The number and the jerseys with the school colors and logos don't belong to the players. They belong to the school and they should have to pay royalties for the right to wear them on TV two to three times a week.

onetime
April 4th, 2017, 4:15 PM
You sure can tell when people were at no point highest in the food chain at anything :-| seems as if said people never get that these people receive these tiny perks because they are :-(

Rick
April 4th, 2017, 4:20 PM
Despite the broken English, you just made our point for us.:))

They get these perks worth up to hundreds of thousands of dollars and you want them to get paid too?

onetime
April 4th, 2017, 4:25 PM
Where are you getting 100s of thousands of dollars from Rick? What public university costs 100s of thousands of dollars in state? I've got buddies that graduated from the Flagship with loans less than 120k I think you're making what is known as a hyperbolic statement. FAKE NEWS I truly love that phrase, I love alternative facts as well. Thanks president trump and the lovely Kelly Anne Conway.

Rick
April 4th, 2017, 4:29 PM
Where are you getting 100s of thousands of dollars from Rick? What public university costs 100s of thousands of dollars in state? I've got buddies that graduated from the Flagship with loans less than 120k I think you're making what is known as a hyperbolic statement. FAKE NEWS I truly love that phrase, I love alternative facts as well. Thanks president trump and the lovely Kelly Anne Conway.

Despite the broken English, you just made our point for us.:))

They get these perks worth up to hundreds of thousands of dollars and you want them to get paid too?

onetime
April 4th, 2017, 4:34 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh you meant "up to A hundred thousand dollars or more" GOOOOOOOTCHA. I hope this doesn't come off as snobby or elitest but 100k isn't really that much money these days. Just saying, you're making it out to be something grandiose. Seeing as you don't watch college basketball based on your remark I hope that universities attempt to make more money off college kids and all the sports networks then have to make a decision between college sports and NASCAR. We all know which will be dropped FAKE SPORT.

sickofpc
April 4th, 2017, 4:42 PM
onetime, ....$100,000 dollars isn't that much money these days?...Really?..How long would it take you to put that amount in the bank?...To me, that's a lot of money.... You must have been a really spoiled child, as most of us have suspected, I would imagine. ...I'm thinking you have champagne fantasies and a beer budget.

onetime
April 4th, 2017, 4:49 PM
onetime, ....$100,000 dollars isn't that much money these days?...Really?..How long would it take you to put that amount in the bank?...To me, that's a lot of money.... You must have been a really spoiled child, which we most of us have suspected, I would imagine. ...I'm thinking you have champagne fantasies and a beer budget.

Rick will tell you himself that it's really not that much money. Judging off the area he lives I'd bet Rick and his significant other (I'm guessing you're married Rick) rake in a really good living. When I say it's not a lot of money I'm speaking specifically to an investment on ones human capital. A 100k car is a lot, a 100k house isn't. Have some perspective to navigate around a topic sir.

sickofpc
April 4th, 2017, 4:58 PM
$100,000 is just that, and to me, that's quite a bit. Maybe to you or Donald Trump, it's not,..but to me, it is...and always will be...I'll ask you again, how long would it take you to put that much in your bank account?...and...You talking about perspective is very similar to Donald Duck barking. You have a very narrow scope of reference, if you haven't noticed.

Rick
April 4th, 2017, 6:20 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh you meant "up to A hundred thousand dollars or more" GOOOOOOOTCHA. I hope this doesn't come off as snobby or elitest but 100k isn't really that much money these days. Just saying, you're making it out to be something grandiose. Seeing as you don't watch college basketball based on your remark I hope that universities attempt to make more money off college kids and all the sports networks then have to make a decision between college sports and NASCAR. We all know which will be dropped FAKE SPORT.
I meant what I said.

It is a grandiose amount. When my daughter graduated from college with her master's degree, she was more than $75,000 in debt due to school loans. No luxury dorms, no fancy food, no free clothes with her number on them. So ya, getting a degree along with luxury living conditions and great food all for the cost of playing a game is definitely a pretty damn good payday.

Rick
April 4th, 2017, 7:01 PM
Rick will tell you himself that it's really not that much money. Judging off the area he lives I'd bet Rick and his significant other (I'm guessing you're married Rick) rake in a really good living. When I say it's not a lot of money I'm speaking specifically to an investment on ones human capital. A 100k car is a lot, a 100k house isn't. Have some perspective to navigate around a topic sir.
It's a hell of a lot of money. I don't know what you mean by where I live. We live where we live because while in the Army for twenty years, we knew that we wanted some land with horses because it was a promise I made to my wife when we first got married 36 years ago and we saved and tried to be smart with the little money I was making and invested what we could wisely. Our kids had what they needed and a lot of what they wanted, but trust me, had you seen how I grew up in a broken home in the 60's with my dad paying $25 a month child support as ordered, you'd know why I NEVER wanted that for my kids.

Try living in a summer cabin on Lake Erie in the winter. They don't put heat in those things because they are SUMMER CABINS, but it was a roof over our heads and that was all that my dear mother could afford.

onetime
April 4th, 2017, 8:00 PM
$100,000 is just that, and to me, that's quite a bit. Maybe to you or Donald Trump, it's not,..but to me, it is...and always will be...I'll ask you again, how long would it take you to put that much in your bank account?...and...You talking about perspective is very similar to Donald Duck barking. You have a very narrow scope of reference, if you haven't noticed.

Hmmm I dunno, with or without bills, car payment, etc? Just straight up bank account?

onetime
April 4th, 2017, 8:02 PM
It's a hell of a lot of money. I don't know what you mean by where I live. We live where we live because while in the Army for twenty years, we knew that we wanted some land with horses because it was a promise I made to my wife when we first got married 36 years ago and we saved and tried to be smart with the little money I was making and invested what we could wisely. Our kids had what they needed and a lot of what they wanted, but trust me, had you seen how I grew up in a broken home in the 60's with my dad paying $25 a month child support as ordered, you'd know why I NEVER wanted that for my kids.

Try living in a summer cabin on Lake Erie in the winter. They don't put heat in those things because they are SUMMER CABINS, but it was a roof over our heads and that was all that my dear mother could afford.

Yeah yeah rick we get it you grew up in a lower middle class family :-), however, today you're a mini mogul!!!!!! With horses, ranches, websites and forums. Boss hog of killeen.

Rick
April 4th, 2017, 8:06 PM
It'll all be complete when you are cleaning the horse stalls.

onetime
April 4th, 2017, 8:31 PM
It'll all be complete when you are cleaning the horse stalls.

Pun intended when I say your horses will be in some deep "sheet" if that ever happened.

Rick
April 4th, 2017, 8:59 PM
I figured you'd be afraid of a little work. Don't worry, you can use your silver spoon to scoop it up. :doh :)

sickofpc
April 5th, 2017, 10:06 AM
onetime, as per your post 33...both ways.

onetime
April 5th, 2017, 12:17 PM
onetime, as per your post 33...both ways.

I've posted on here before that I'm always looking for sound investments to turn over a dollar, whether it's buying land or maxing out the old retirement accounts. I've got a huge spike on my retirement account two years ago but more or less it's been around 4-6 percent which I'm told it's better to not be aggressive in investments at my age. Anyways without buying anything and not saving money, and if I cut back on random spending I'd say 8-10 months with my current payments on property/home etc. I've got 15 and 10 year loans so the payments are high for me. If you've got some ideas pm me I'll look at. Not doing rental investments or extremely volatile stuff. Wish i would go back in time and invested in apple around 98 when they were dead. Sigh

sickofpc
April 5th, 2017, 1:46 PM
onetime, first of all, you must be much, much older than I was thinking that you are, and if you can save over a thousand dollars a month, that's very good....My wife and I together bring in much more than I ever thought that I would have, but we would be hard pressed to save a thousand a month. Of course, my wife is a world class shopper,.. but she tends to mix up for sale with on sale, at times....and.... we are trying to prepare for our next in line to go to college. That in itself is a factor...Plus, we like to enjoy what we have, and do the things we enjoy doing. That all takes money. ....But, to me, a hundred thousand dollars is still a lot of money. If you don't think so, your background is far different than mine.

Rick
April 5th, 2017, 1:59 PM
I've posted on here before that I'm always looking for sound investments to turn over a dollar, whether it's buying land or maxing out the old retirement accounts. I've got a huge spike on my retirement account two years ago but more or less it's been around 4-6 percent which I'm told it's better to not be aggressive in investments at my age. Anyways without buying anything and not saving money, and if I cut back on random spending I'd say 8-10 months with my current payments on property/home etc. I've got 15 and 10 year loans so the payments are high for me. If you've got some ideas pm me I'll look at. Not doing rental investments or extremely volatile stuff. Wish i would go back in time and invested in apple around 98 when they were dead. Sigh
So without random spending, starting at zero, you could put $100,000 into a bank account?

onetime
April 5th, 2017, 2:18 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure, id have cease all retirement options and buying random things but otherwise yes. I'd have to factor in taxes too, still fiddling with that now.

sickofpc
April 5th, 2017, 3:20 PM
Welllllllllll, ooook, ....if you say so, onetime. :doh

Night Owl
April 5th, 2017, 4:00 PM
You have to understand, good ole onetime doesn't live in our area, he's lives down around Georgetown.

Rick
April 5th, 2017, 6:46 PM
And he got a brand new Monopoly game for Christmas, so he had lots of play money. ;)

Ricky
April 5th, 2017, 7:43 PM
$$$

onetime
April 5th, 2017, 8:27 PM
You guys asked and I gave a general answer and no I'm not some old man just not racing to get married, I've seen it interfere with to many careers. Sound money advice is to not buy anything with a motor, buy land, and never bite on the fast money. I'm all in favor of marriage and kids but having kids before 30 makes it a bit hectic with working (just my opinion) there's nothing wrong with yours as I'm not trying to make it a debate. I love monopoly we played it all the time, smart and long game, kids should play it more often may download the app now.

Ricky
April 5th, 2017, 8:51 PM
1966 Matchbox carrying case ... Rules!!!

Rick
April 6th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Parts of this discussion reminds me of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE6iAjEv9dQ

onetime
April 6th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Parts of this discussion reminds me of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE6iAjEv9dQ

The music you listen to says a lot about a person, the sub genre and artists that people listen to says even more. Based on who you listen to Rick I bet you're a

Rick
April 6th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Tell me, exactly who do you think I listen to and what am I?

onetime
April 6th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Tell me, exactly who do you think I listen to and what am I?

Music - kenny chesny
Tv shows - Reba and lifetime channel shows
Movies - strictly lifetime unless sly Stallone has something cooking
Car - that truck car thingy looking deal from the 70s
Pet - something exotic that can be petted, hmmm, one of those tiny monkies
Instrument - the keyboard/accordian or bottle
Haircut - google harry Dunn
Tattoos - endless supply of Popeyes water tats that you have your wife put on your shoulder blade and lower ankle.

Night Owl
April 6th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Music - kenny chesny
Tattoos - endless supply of Popeyes water tats that you have your wife put on your shoulder blade and lower ankle.
If he does then he would be your twin.

onetime
April 6th, 2017, 12:16 PM
Music - kenny chesny

I forgot the Dixie chicks and you call sunglasses sunshades.

Rick
April 6th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Music - kenny chesny

0 for 10!

See, when liberals think they know something, they don't.

fchafey
April 6th, 2017, 1:03 PM
The Harry Dunn haircut was pretty funny.....

ExKilleencitizen
April 6th, 2017, 1:45 PM
Don't know too many conservatives who listen to the Dixie Chicks.

Night Owl
April 6th, 2017, 5:39 PM
Nope we just call them shades. The sun has nothing to do with shades.:))