PDA

View Full Version : Fruity dogs

engteach64
June 19th, 2009, 5:44 PM
My dog loves watermellon. Is this okay for her to eat? Last year she almost died because she had no blood. We don't know why. She had a transfusion, and takes medicine. Lately she started getting weak again, and the only thing that was different was that she was eating watermellon. I don't mean to be dense, but I don't want anything to happen to my sweet Haley.

Scarlett
June 19th, 2009, 6:37 PM
Watermelon won't hurt her, just don't let her eat only that! And the seeds should NOT be eaten by her.

engteach64
June 19th, 2009, 6:42 PM
We buy seedless. She loves to eat the watermellon that is left on the rind (rhind?). Thanks Scarlett. She's due for a vet visit anyhow, so maybe she's just getting older.

Scarlett
June 19th, 2009, 7:03 PM
When I was young I remember all of our dogs loving that as a summer treat. That, and the corn cobs. They would chew those for hours.

MyFoot76541
June 19th, 2009, 10:55 PM
When I was young I remember all of our dogs loving that as a summer treat. That, and the corn cobs. They would chew those for hours.

I would not give cobs to larger dogs. I had a very greedy lab years ago. I used to give the dogs the cobs - and this stupid dog swallowed a cob whole.

I forced a large amount of oil down his throat every 30 minutes and kept him very quiet (outside), standing by to go to the emergency clinic if I saw distress. Thank goodness the cob was thin and short enough to work its way out. It was a sleepless night and day but everything came out alright at the end....

Night Owl
June 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM
at the end or FROM the end!!!!!

FieryPrincess
June 20th, 2009, 8:27 AM
I have heard that grapes are toxic to dogs.

Really the only safe thing it to keep them off of human food entirely.

engteach64
June 20th, 2009, 8:28 PM
FieryPrincess~I agree that I should keep my dogs off of human food. The problem is when my baby looks at me with those big brown eyes and long ears I can't say no. Have you ever had a beagle look at you while sitting up on her behind with her head tipped saying, "Please give me that human food?" I'm a sucker.

Scarlett
June 21st, 2009, 1:33 PM
I have no problem sharing human food with dogs. I just don't feed them while I am eating. Have a friend who thinks it is fine to feed Oscar from the table though, and it pisses me off! Haha. You are right, when a beagle tips their head with those sad eyes staring you down, it is hard to say no though.

Grapes/raisins = bad for dogs. At least from everything I have read.

But fried eggs make them very happy...:thumbsup

CenTexDave
June 21st, 2009, 1:39 PM
And half a pound of bacon! :)

engteach64
June 21st, 2009, 1:45 PM
And steak scraps from the grill.

stormy
June 25th, 2009, 2:08 PM
Last year, we had a huge tomato plant in our backyard that finally starting producing tomatoes in the late summer. Our dog was constantly picking tomatoes off the vine and eating them. He would actually peel the skin off and then eat the inside.

Fast forward to last weekend. I was over in another corner of the backyard, far from where last year's tomato plant was, and it's also where our dog "does his business", and noticed a 2 foot high tomato plant beginning to flower and right next to it was a really long vine, what I believe to be a cucumber vine, beginning to flower too. I don't remember if he ever got a hold of cucumber, but it's possible. It seems he has started his own little garden. :) How the seeds survived after getting eaten, then grow the next year is beyond me; but it's the only explanation we can think of--and it's kinda funny when you think about it.

kryptickancer
June 25th, 2009, 2:51 PM
Last year, we had a huge tomato plant in our backyard that finally starting producing tomatoes in the late summer. Our dog was constantly picking tomatoes off the vine and eating them. He would actually peel the skin off and then eat the inside.

Fast forward to last weekend. I was over in another corner of the backyard, far from where last year's tomato plant was, and it's also where our dog "does his business", and noticed a 2 foot high tomato plant beginning to flower and right next to it was a really long vine, what I believe to be a cucumber vine, beginning to flower too. I don't remember if he ever got a hold of cucumber, but it's possible. It seems he has started his own little garden. :) How the seeds survived after getting eaten, then grow the next year is beyond me; but it's the only explanation we can think of--and it's kinda funny when you think about it.
lol:)) I would be scared to eat it!

Rick
June 25th, 2009, 4:31 PM
Fruits and vegetables are their own little seed dispersion systems. Think about it. Animals eat them for nourishment in one place, expel the seeds that they ate in another place covered by fertilizer. It's just one way that plants get spread over the earth.

A perfect system!

Night Owl
June 25th, 2009, 4:34 PM
The tomato is one of the few things that can go through a water treatment facility and when it gets buried a plant will grow. The tomatos off your plant will be better than others you plant.

engteach64
June 26th, 2009, 7:29 AM
Stormy that is so gross! I say let your dog harvest his own crop and leave yours to you. :-s

stormy
June 26th, 2009, 1:57 PM
Well, I watered the little fellars last night. I guess we'll see what happens with "Tank's Garden" :)

engteach64
June 26th, 2009, 4:52 PM
Oh my gosh, you are actually grooming the poop tomatoes? You are a much better person than I. I'm going to lose my dinner just thinking of you out there grooming those tomatoes.:-0

stormy
June 26th, 2009, 5:20 PM
poop tomatoes? Hahaha!

I'm gonna give 'em some water and see what happens! :-$ :)

engteach64
June 26th, 2009, 6:46 PM
I haven't had this good of a laugh in a long time. You crack me up. You will have to report back on how they taste (Gag!). :unsure:

Night Owl
June 26th, 2009, 8:21 PM
I take it that none of you have been to Germany?

Courageous
June 26th, 2009, 9:01 PM
I'm looking for a little dog, under 35 pounds, neutered, who needs a home. I'm gone during the day, but the dog would have a cozy spot to sleep on the couch until I get home. I want a mature dog that's housebroken and won't dig a hole in the couch. My golden retriever died last year, and I just can't handle not having a pooch. I will visit the animal shelter soon, but thought I'd ask here first. Would like to give a good dog a good home. I can't have a pit bull, rottweiler, or any dog w/ a reputation like those...

Night Owl
June 26th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Dauchsund is what you need. If you want to feel loved then you really need to get a Daushund.

Scarlett
June 27th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Dauchsund is what you need. If you want to feel loved then you really need to get a Daushund.

I agree. I just got one...little thing follows me everywhere, sits by me constantly, sleeps curled up next to me. He is good for me right now.

Scarlett
June 27th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I take it that none of you have been to Germany?

Umm...yes...lived there for 2 years...

engteach64
June 27th, 2009, 2:59 PM
We have beagles. Our femal is about 20-25 pounds full grown. She thinks she's a cat, and will sleep in the window waiting for us to come home. We've never had to kennel her when we are gone, and she doesn't go to the bathroom until we let her out. She loves to cuddle in my chair with me and sleep under blankets. Consider a beagle, they are so cute. Just make sure it has a good disposition.

The beagle we got at the pound tore up our house the first couple of times we left him alone. We were told it was separation anxiety. It took about six months for him to settle in. During that time we bought a kennel from WalMart and kenneled him when we left and he loved it. Now we leave the house and let him roam with our other beagle. We come home and they meet us at the door or say hi from the couch.

FieryPrincess
June 27th, 2009, 7:13 PM
Any of y'all stop to think about what fertilizer is often made from?

I bet those are wonderful tomatoes!

Night Owl
June 27th, 2009, 7:37 PM
Umm...yes...lived there for 2 years...

And they fertilize their crops for human consumption with exactly the same thing the puppy is using.

Scarlett
June 27th, 2009, 8:42 PM
We have beagles. Our femal is about 20-25 pounds full grown. She thinks she's a cat, and will sleep in the window waiting for us to come home. We've never had to kennel her when we are gone, and she doesn't go to the bathroom until we let her out. She loves to cuddle in my chair with me and sleep under blankets. Consider a beagle, they are so cute. Just make sure it has a good disposition.

The beagle we got at the pound tore up our house the first couple of times we left him alone. We were told it was separation anxiety. It took about six months for him to settle in. During that time we bought a kennel from WalMart and kenneled him when we left and he loved it. Now we leave the house and let him roam with our other beagle. We come home and they meet us at the door or say hi from the couch.

I have a beagle. I still don't trust him in the house alone. He is kennel trained at night to the point that now, when I am ready for bed, sometimes I go looking for him to walk him to the kennel and he is already in there asleep. Oscar is, definitely, loving. And getting him a dog was the best decision I ever made.

FieryPrincess
June 27th, 2009, 9:03 PM
I got a collie/chocolate lab mix from Second Chance and he is an amazing dog. I didn't want a puppy either and ended up with a 6MO. The potty training was already covered, but chewing was an issue until all those teeth are in.

Take extra look at the black dogs. I was reading that they are less likely to be adopted and my black lab/greyhound mix is the sweetest animal I have ever had the pleasure to know. We got her from the SPCA.

engteach64
June 28th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Funny, we have always gotten black (partly or all) dogs over the past 24 years. Funny. I like a dark dog, I think they are prettier.

Every time we get a puppy we buy them a stuffed animal. That becomes their chew toy. We had to buy 3 of one, because dogs remember their toys. When they get past the stuffed animal we get the rawhide bones. We've never had a dog chew on furniture or anything.

I will say the best dog we ever had was a chow/cocker mix. I know neither is considered a best breed, but she was the best dog we ever had. When she blew her coat in the summer she looked like a red fox. She was very protective, and loved us until the day she died. We will never have a dog as good as our Ginger. Sniff, sniff.

Scarlett
June 28th, 2009, 4:54 PM
I really want another dog....but alas, I should refrain. I have two. I travel a lot. It is hard to figure out what to do with them when I leave.
I am blessed that the world's best vet always makes room to board my Oscar!
But what I wouldn't give for a German Shepard.....

engteach64
June 28th, 2009, 5:26 PM
Be careful Scarlett. I love dogs, and at one time we had three. Our chow, a lab, and our beagle. We bred our beagle, she had 4 puppies. At one point we had 4 dogs. It was a nightmare. We loved them all, but you just can't move as often as we do with that many dogs. Our Ginger passed on, our lab went to live on a farm (and loved it), Haley's last pup found a home, and we were left with Haley our beagle. We found Flash three years ago, and he will go with our daughter and her husband whe they go to their first duty station (he loves them more than us), and that will leave us with our Haley. Me, my husband, and Haley. Aaah, empty nest.

FieryPrincess
June 29th, 2009, 10:37 AM
My dad buys dog food 100# at a time and usually has to buy twice a month in the winter.

I will certainly agree that it is hard to move with pets. We have two wonderful dogs and two unusually sweet cats (and I am not a cat person). Hard to find a place that rents to that many pets. I find that funny since kids cause more damage to a place than my pets do.

Night Owl
June 29th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I have 4 dogs and I would hate to think about boarding them for any length of time.

old dino
June 29th, 2009, 9:18 PM
I am a slave for three dogs and four cats. My husband and I must work to support them. We are just the staff. The cats have divided the house into territories since the two girls can't stand each other. (Just like some women) The boys go where they please. The dogs follow me everwhere and the male collie mix positions himself to stand guard over me. They are the fang and claw security system on duty 24/7. Love them, hate the hair and the litterbox duty. They are little sweeties. The dogs are not small but they don't know that. Sshhh....

FieryPrincess
June 30th, 2009, 7:17 AM
I don't consider a 50ish pound collie to be big. They are just fluffy (we have a collie mix).

My parents' indoor dog weighed in a 145# and one doesn't have to lean at all to pet it. That's a big dog :) :) :)

People call my dogs big all the time and they are among the smallest I have ever owned. 50# and 68#

engteach64
June 30th, 2009, 8:16 PM
We have 2 beagles, and had to pay 300.00 non refundable deposit for them. We moved, and had to pay it again. The people we rent from here said we could just pay the 150.00 and that would cover them both. Our dogs are great and don't cause any damage to the homes we've lived in. Well, okay Flash had his moments, but we owned the house he had his moments in. He's mellowed a lot since then.:)

Night Owl
July 1st, 2009, 4:09 PM
As a landlord I don't want pets in my properties. I charge a non-refundable $500 deposit plus the tenant must pay for treating the home when they move out. I have had too much damage done by animals that had to come out of my pocket to make repairs. I am upfront about not wanting pets.

Courageous
July 2nd, 2009, 7:08 AM
I think it's reasonable to allow renters to have a pet. Just keep charging a hefty pet security deposit (partially refundable-charge the renter for exterminating and carpet cleaning) and that'll separate the pet lovers from the pet owners. Pets give us too much happiness to say no to them altogether.

kryptickancer
July 2nd, 2009, 9:58 AM
I think it's reasonable to allow renters to have a pet. Just keep charging a hefty pet security deposit (partially refundable-charge the renter for exterminating and carpet cleaning) and that'll separate the pet lovers from the pet owners. Pets give us too much happiness to say no to them altogether.

Yeah Im willing to pay per pet. A lot of places charge 300 dollars per pet non refundable. I paid per pet at my place and have 3 cats.

Monkeygirl
July 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
My vet says human food is ok as long as there is more veggies and grains than meat. Be careful with fruit

stormy
July 3rd, 2009, 8:39 AM
Ok, so we "groomed" it and the area where it's at, put a tomato cage around it, and now we'll see how it does haha!

engteach64
July 3rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
Stormy! Oh my gosh! That is stinking funny. Literally!

engteach64
July 3rd, 2009, 10:39 AM
I don't have a problem paying a pet deposit, we've rented our house too, but I do have issue with it being non refundable, yet we have to have the carpets cleaned, and have the house sprayed for fleas. Also, if my dog were to tear up the floor (which they wouldn't) I'd have to pay for that too. We get ripped off because they don't use the pet deposit for the damage, they would say we owed for that too. It seems like double dipping.

It is a choice for us to have pets, and the same choice for a renter to not want pets in their homes, but those of us who actually take care of the homes we rent pay for those who don't care. By the way, our landlords love us because we fix anything that breaks, and our dogs are wonderful.

FieryPrincess
July 4th, 2009, 5:34 PM
I have to say that my children when they were young (2s and 3s) did more damage to the rental unit than my dogs ever thought about doing!

We rented somewhere where we were told the pet deposit was nonrefundable and then we actually got most of it back later. That was a nice surprise. That might be a good way to go - separate the pet lovers from the pet havers without permanently punishing them.

If you tenant is taking appropriate care of their animals, then there shouldn't be damage that is costly and time consuming.

engteach64
July 6th, 2009, 7:26 PM
The only damage one of our kids ever did to a house was the first church where my husband preached. We had a parsonage (home provided by the church) and the ladies were really picky about it being clean. Our son wrote his name in great big letters on his bedroom wall in marker. We just about died! He was in 1st grade. We coudn't get it off, so we put his dresser in front of it. When we moved out we learned of a great product called Oops! It worked great and took off all of the writing.

stormy
August 16th, 2009, 1:52 PM
Turns out the cucumber plant is actually a pumpkin plant. Guess our dog ate a seed when we were carving last year haha! Scroll up a few posts to see what it looked like when we found it!

engteach64
August 16th, 2009, 2:02 PM
Be sure to let me know when the plants come into bloom. I'm anxious to see the product of your dog's product.:13: