PDA

View Full Version : $250 to neuter a dog?

VooDooBaby
June 18th, 2009, 1:48 AM
That is what my vet quoted me... is this the average price? My friend said she paid $60 to have her dog spayed..

FieryPrincess
June 18th, 2009, 9:03 AM
A lot will deoend on things like traditional cutting vs the new laser techniques. Females cost more than males. Does that include kidney and liver function tests before going under anthesia? I recommend that to make sure the dog can handle it. Pain meds for after...

What services are involved exactly?

We had a mobile vet once neuter a cat on the tailgate of his truck, but I don't think that's what you're talking about here.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
June 18th, 2009, 9:33 AM
The standard of care for modern veterinary practice requires pre-anesthetic organ function screening, blood count and ECG. Anesthesia is a combination of injectable sedatives, cardio-protectants and inhaled anesthetic gas. Patients are monitored with pulse oximetry, capnography and ECG while under anesthesia. The surgery is performed using sterile technique in a sterile environment and pre/post-operative pain management is utilized. Post-operative monitoring is performed as well.

There are some organizations that offer low-cost spay and neuter and they provide a valuable service to our communities. They function with very low overhead, less technology and often are supported by grant funding.

I believe that the public should have choices when it comes to providing care for their pets. However, I do not feel comfortable anesthetizing animals without providing proper monitoring and will not subject a pet to recovery from surgery without pain management. Providing these standards of care is expensive and has driven the cost of elective procedures higher in the past few years.

VooDooBaby
June 18th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks! I think I'd rather pay for the better care. I would hate for something to happen to my furry kid.

FieryPrincess
June 19th, 2009, 7:50 AM
Agreed Dr Buckley,

My parents almostl ost a dog when there were kidney problems after a surgery. They didn't do the screening. Now they are the biggest proponents of it!