PDA

View Full Version : Week 11 Games

stevendub
October 31st, 2016, 8:41 PM
Last week & the scenarios are still crazy. Here we go:

Thursday game(11/3):

Waco Midway (7-2, 5-0) @ Ellison (6-3, 2-3)

Friday games(11/4):

Belton (6-3, 3-2) @ Copperas Cove (4-4, 2-3)

Killeen (4-5, 3-2) vs. Harker Heights (6-3, 3-2)

stevendub
October 31st, 2016, 8:42 PM
Playoff scenarios from 6A Texas Football website:

So if..

-The most expected outcome happens which l assume is Midway, Belton & Heights winning then you'll have Midway (D2 #1) 6-0, Heights (D1 #1) & Belton (D1 #2) at 4-2 (Heights with the advantage) & Killeen (D2 #2) at 3-3 with Cove & Ellison 2-4.

-Midway, Cove & Heights win would have Midway 6-0 (D2 #1) Heights 4-2 (D1 #1) & then a 3 way tie at 3-3 for the last 2 spots with Belton, Cove & Killeen. I assume point differential matters here cause each team is 1-1 against the other, so it depends on how much Cove would win by.

-Midway, Belton & Killeen win and you have Midway 6-0 (D2 #1), Belton 4-2 (D1 #1) Killeen 4-2 (D2 #2) & then Heights (D1 #2) in over Cove because of H2H.

-Midway, Cove & Killeen win and it's Midway 6-0 (D2 #1), Killeen 4-2 (D1 #1) & a 3-way tie for the last 2 spots between Heights, Cove & Belton @ 3-3. The Knights beat both teams so they get 3rd place & would be #2 in Division 1, which leaves the Dawgs & Belton and since Cove wins in this scenario, they get the 4 spot (D2 #2).

-Ellison, Belton & Heights win would give us Midway @ 5-1 (D2 #1), Heights (D1 #1) & Belton (D1 #2) 4-2, & Killeen, Cove & Ellison @ 3-3 with the Roos (D2 #2) nabbing the last playoff spot.

-Ellison, Cove & Heights win then it's Midway 5-1 (D2 #1), Heights (D1 #1) at 4-2 & then a hairy situation with 4 teams at 3-3 for 2 spots. Killeen would be 2-1, Belton 2-1 & Cove 2-1 as well with Ellison 0-3. Point differential probably is the difference here too.

-Ellison, Belton & Killeen win would go Midway 5-1 (D2 #1), Belton 4-2 (D1 #1), Killeen also at 4-2 (D2 #2) and Ellison & Heights tied at 3-3 with the Eagles (D1 #2) getting the last spot.

And finally with Ellison, Cove & Killeen winning it would go: Midway 5-1 (D2 #1), Killeen 4-2 (D1 #1) & then a 4-way tie again, this time with Heights in the mix with Cove, Belton & Ellison. Heights went 2-1, Cove would be 2-1 & Belton & Ellison would both be 1-2, so Heights (D1 #2) and then Cove (D2 #2) get the last 2 spots.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2016, 7:08 AM
Cove win??!! Against Belton?? :))
Cove's staying home for the playoffs this year.

RooDawg
November 1st, 2016, 1:41 PM
Playoff scenarios from 6A Texas Football website:

So if..

-Midway, Cove & Heights win would have Midway 6-0 (D2 #1) Heights 4-2 (D1 #1) & then a 3 way tie at 3-3 for the last 2 spots with Belton, Cove & Killeen. I assume point differential matters here cause each team is 1-1 against the other, so it depends on how much Cove would win by.

Right now Belton is +15, Killeen is -3, and Cove is -12. In this scenario Belton and Killeen would go unless Cove beats Belton by more than 9 points. Then it would be Belton and Cove.

-Ellison, Cove & Heights win then it's Midway 5-1 (D2 #1), Heights (D1 #1) at 4-2 & then a hairy situation with 4 teams at 3-3 for 2 spots. Killeen would be 2-1, Belton 2-1 & Cove 2-1 as well with Ellison 0-3. Point differential probably is the difference here too.

Ellison would be eliminated because of head to head. Then the scenario on points is the same as above.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2016, 2:46 PM
Who really GAS? The only team that has a chance to win in the playoffs is Midway.

siamcat
November 1st, 2016, 4:54 PM
I'll be rooting for the Roos. They have heart. I know they'll play their hardest and whatever happens will happen. I'm proud of them.

Gramps
November 2nd, 2016, 7:04 AM
Dave Campbell's Football Texas projections for first round playoff games:

6AD1
Belton @ Duncanville
South Grand Prairie @ Harker Heights

6AD2
Killeen @ DeSoto
Cedar Hill @ Midway

http://www.texasfootball.com/projections/

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 8:52 AM
Hmmm..........maybe Midway will be one and done also.

sickofpc
November 2nd, 2016, 7:33 PM
I was really hoping Ellison would make the playoffs, as hard as they work, and try to do things right,...but their defense has been suspect all year. Too bad. Still feel bad for their place kicker. ....My hat is off to Killeen High (as hard as it is to say that), they didn't quit, and they kept getting better. I admire that.

johnwc
November 4th, 2016, 10:08 AM
So here's where we stand going into tonight :

Clinched and in the playoffs: Midway, Heights (even with a loss , they own all of the tiebreakers in all the scenarios)
Out: Shoemaker, Ellison

Belton- 1. Win and in. 2. Lose and Killeen loses, in as they hold the head to head over Killeen. 3. Lose and Killeen wins, out as Heights owns H2H, Cove owns H2H.
Killeen - 1. Win and in 2. Lose and Belton wins, in. 3. Lose and Cove wins, need Cove to win by 9 or less.
Cove - 1. Win and Killeen wins, in , as they would hold the H2H against Belton. 2. Win by more than 10 and Killeen loses, would be in on point differential.

That covers it. Should be a fun night of football.

CenTexDave
November 4th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Fun night? This has got to be the weakest group of playoff teams this district has ever produced. Midway might win a playoff game; the other
3 will be an embarrassing one and done.
By the way - Belton will demolish Cove. Talked to a couple of "half knowledgeable fans" yesterday and they told me that "their kid" stated
the team has quit. :))

johnwc
November 4th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Three or four years ago when the district was paired with the Desoto-Cedar Hill district, they were swept out... embarrassingly so. I wouldn't sleep on any of them in the bi-district, upsets happen.

I think Belton will demolish Cove as well. You could see the air come out of Cove last week when Killeen went up 14-3. The second half was flat and the play calling was horrendous on both sides of the ball. At least the Cove seniors will suit out and play unlike the Shoe's.

CenTexDave
November 4th, 2016, 10:56 AM
And that's what I've been saying for years - Cove's play calling is terrible. The OC is Welch's brother. Well, Jack, time to step up and kick your brother's butt
to the side and take over.

RooDawg
November 4th, 2016, 11:12 AM
So here's where we stand going into tonight :

Clinched and in the playoffs: Midway, Heights (even with a loss , they own all of the tiebreakers in all the scenarios)
Out: Shoemaker, Ellison

Belton- 1. Win and in. 2. Lose and Killeen loses, in as they hold the head to head over Killeen. 3. Lose and Killeen wins, out as Heights owns H2H, Cove owns H2H.
Killeen - 1. Win and in 2. Lose and Belton wins, in. 3. Lose and Cove wins, need Cove to win by 9 or less.
Cove - 1. Win and Killeen wins, in , as they would hold the H2H against Belton. 2. Win by more than 10 and Killeen loses, would be in on point differential.

That covers it. Should be a fun night of football.

Wow!! Shoemaker and Ellison. Two of the teams that were thought to have a chance to make the playoffs this year are the first two to be eliminated from the playoffs.

Night Owl
November 4th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Wow!! Shoemaker and Ellison. Two of the teams that were thought to have a chance to make the playoffs this year are the first two to be eliminated from the playoffs.
OH, if only we still did it the old fashion way. When winners went to the playoffs. Win district and you advanced. Place second and you went home, but we have allowed the 'gotta make all kids feel good' crowd to take over. Pathetic.

CenTexDave
November 4th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Two from each district to the playoffs and no more than that. Big school/small school format. This insanity of feel good PC crap is ridiculous. Show me where any team
with a losing record won a state championship. Waste of money and everybody's time.

johnwc
November 4th, 2016, 12:32 PM
I agree on the need to eliminate the big school/small school format. If there is so much of a despairity in school sizes then maybe UIL should either create the super conference that they have discussed and only play an 8 game season OR realign the student cut offs for each level that more closely aligns.

I'd also be in favor of the top two in the district advancing versus the top 4 or the district champ plus the next ranked 32 (8 from each region). The issue with the regional rankings would be a region like ours , region 1, which goes from El Paso to DFW to Central Texas. No way you get an accurate assessment.

As for Cove's play calling, I will say that they do not go with what works. For example, with Heights you know if they run a play and get positive yardage that they are going to run it again. Saw the same thing with Killeen, Ellison, and Midway (the Shoe...who knows?) Cove runs a good play and seems to forget it and never go back to it. Majority of their issues is at the QB level and decision making. Defensively, they don't have a scheme to stop the run. I saw them against Heights and Killeen and you could run the same play on repeat for 10-15 yards every time. They also don't have very good zone coverage.... I just realized that they are going to get blasted tonight while typing this. On the upside, they do have some athletes.

CenTexDave
November 4th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Cove simply doesn't have the caliber of athletes they had a few years ago. From what I've read, both JV teams are very good and same with the freshmen teams and the teams at the junior highs. So another
year or two and they may get back to what everyone has come to expect.
While I do understand that an undefeated JV team does not equate to success at the varsity level, I remember back circa 2005 Cove's JV played Euless Trinity. Don't know how that schedule ended up happening as
the varsity did not play Euless. Was probably a far away game for the varsity like Odessa, etc, so the JV played closer. The Dawgs' JV blew them off the field. This was Euless Trinity - one of the best programs in
the state at the time. Trinity's coach said after the game he had never seen a JV team as good as that one. In this case the JV team went onto great things at the varsity level - two state championship games.
And at the time, that JV team had two huge freshmen/soph stars who were on the varsity - RG3 and Tanner Brock.

CenTexDave
November 4th, 2016, 8:45 PM
Cove gonna be sitting at home next weekend: Belton-35, Cove-21 half time.

CenTexDave
November 4th, 2016, 8:53 PM
OOps, sorry. I posted the above after Belton took over on downs at their own 20 with 1:11 left in the half. Figured they would just take a knee and run out the clock.
Not so.
New halftime score: 42-21 Belton. :))
But don't worry - Welch always states he has the best defensive coordinator in the state so I'm sure he'll make halftime adjustments and we'll be just fine. :)

siamcat
November 4th, 2016, 9:47 PM
Fun night? This has got to be the weakest group of playoff teams this district has ever produced. Midway might win a playoff game; the other
3 will be an embarrassing one and done.
By the way - Belton will demolish Cove. Talked to a couple of "half knowledgeable fans" yesterday and they told me that "their kid" stated
the team has quit. :))

That's sad. Killeen High might not have a great team, but they haven't quit.

Btw, anybody got a score on that game?

siamcat
November 4th, 2016, 9:50 PM
Must be half time, I think. I hear the band/bands. Or maybe the winning teams band is having fun.

siamcat
November 4th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Close game, kxxv shows a score of 30-29 fourth quarter in favor of KHS. Crossing fingers

siamcat
November 4th, 2016, 10:13 PM
Yes, it shows it as a final score now. Go Roos, believe and you can achieve.8-;

CenTexDave
November 4th, 2016, 10:14 PM
Killeen won. Congrats. Cove is getting stomped - 56-21 end of 3rd.

CenTexDave
November 4th, 2016, 10:25 PM
56-21 is final from the Dawg Pound. Belton must have just taken a knee in the 4th. :)