CenTexDave
October 24th, 2016, 9:52 AM
Who wins and why??

Rick
October 24th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Tribe in five. Because it'll just be that way! :tribe:tribe

CenTexDave
October 24th, 2016, 11:02 AM
As much as I want the Tribe to win, I won't be totally disappointed if the Cubs take it.
I think the key is Kluber. Win the first game. Been reported Salazar has been throwing effectively. If he can pitch - even in relief -and be the Salazar of old we have a good chance.
If Bauer's finger is still messed up don't even put him out there. Ryan Merritt looked like a seasoned vet against the Jays.
Need Napoli, Santana (when he is the DH) and Ramirez to hit the hell out of the cowhide.
Get to the 5th inning with a lead and the Tribe is about unbeatable.

mac
October 24th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Get to the 5th inning with a lead and the Tribe is about unbeatable.

unfortunately, i think you're right about that. Cleveland seem to be great 'closers'......mac

mac
October 24th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Who wins and why??

Cubs!

BMSS

Rick
October 24th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Which is stronger, the "Curse of the Billy Goat" or the "Curse of Rocky Colavito"?

I'm going with the billy goat since rocky said he never put a curse on the Tribe...haha

In real life, I don't think a bear cub would harm an indian. So it's gotta be the tribe.

Plus, they have Jobu!
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=6445&stc=1

CenTexDave
October 24th, 2016, 1:59 PM
Wish he was still playing right field for the Tribe.
Once the Indians win this then we'll only have to worry about the Curse of Art Modell!!

Rick
October 24th, 2016, 2:34 PM
That curse existed while he was there...lol

CenTexDave
October 24th, 2016, 3:28 PM
At least they won division championships then. Everybody blames Model for the move, but the city was just as guilty.

fchafey
October 24th, 2016, 3:35 PM
I believe the Cubs win in 6. I don't like the DH rule, never have, and I think Chapman for the Cubs is every bit the closer that Cleveland has. As everyone has said, baseball wins with this series, especially the older people who remember the good times in Cleveland and Chicago. Heck even the Lions were good way back when.

CenTexDave
October 24th, 2016, 6:03 PM
That Cubs' closer is unreal - constantly throws at over 100 mph. Don't know about the Cubs' DH, but am sure they have someone capable. I don't like the DH rule either. Francona will have to tweak his roster because of it and probably add a bat and drop a pitcher.

CenTexDave
October 25th, 2016, 10:56 AM
All these so called "experts" - sports analysts for ESPN, Sporting News, Major League Baseball.com, etc., and picking the Cubs by a 3-1 margin.
That's fine - the Indians were supposed to lose to the RedSux, then they were supposed to lose to the Blue Jays.
It's gonna go something like this:
Game 1 - Kluber outduels Lester as the Indians run wild on the bases.
Game 2 - Tomlin (the second coming of Greg Maddux) finds his touch and the Tribe, up 2-1 after 5 innings, turns it over to Miller & Crew and go up 2-0.
Series shifts to Chicago
Game 3 - Bauer's pinkie opens up again, this time in the 4th inning. Cubs already have a 3-0 lead. Tribe can't come back. Game 3 to Cubs.
Game 4- After very quiet bats in the first 3 games, Cleveland gives the ball to Salazar. He hasn't pitched since Sept 9. He is wild at first and the Cubs
take advantage and go up 2-0 after two innings. Then he finds his range and tosses one hit ball through the 6th. Tribe's bats come on strong and
they take game 4.
Game 5 - Lester starts again. His image is on the opposition as Ryan Merritt takes the hill for the Tribe. Nip and tuck all the way through 5.
In the 6th Francona pulls the pitcher and uses a pinch hitter - Carlos Santana. Cubs counter with a relief pitcher. Santana is a switch hitter and
blasts one over the ivy covered wall in right field. It stands up as Miller, Shaw and Allen close it out. :)

Ludwig
October 25th, 2016, 1:11 PM
I don't GAS who wins, though I have a soft spot in my heart for the Cubs. I just want the series to go to the full seven games.

CenTexDave
October 25th, 2016, 1:24 PM
Game 7 scheduled for Nov 2. Maybe we can get some real cold and snow like in the 1997 series between the Indians and Florida Marlins. :)

CenTexDave
October 25th, 2016, 7:35 PM
2-0 Tribe after one inning. Looking like a 12-0 blowout. :)

sojourner truth
October 25th, 2016, 7:41 PM
Yeah, tell that to the Dodgers who got surprised a few times when the Cubs had 5 and 6 run innings in the late game.

And Lester is not one of their best hurlers either. He has had a lot of problems the last 2 or 3 starts he has made. The Cubs make their money with their bullpen.

I wouldn't call it a rout just yet Dave.

CenTexDave
October 25th, 2016, 7:49 PM
You listen to these announcers and Jon Lester is the second coming of Cy Young. I know no blowout, but when the Tribe has the lead after 4 they are something like 67-1.

CenTexDave
October 25th, 2016, 8:10 PM
Corey Kluber - 8 K's thru 3��.

CenTexDave
October 25th, 2016, 8:13 PM
By the way - 8 K's thru 3 is a new MLB playoff record.

CenTexDave
October 25th, 2016, 8:44 PM
Hee haw. Solo HR for Roberto Perez, the catcher who can't hit. 3-0 Tribe. :)

CenTexDave
October 25th, 2016, 9:31 PM
It's Miller Time. :)

CenTexDave
October 25th, 2016, 9:44 PM
Just dodged a bullet. 7th inning stretch. Whew.

CenTexDave
October 25th, 2016, 10:16 PM
Was starting to get worried, but Miller got out of trouble. Think the Tribe needs another insurance run or two.

Rick
October 25th, 2016, 10:33 PM
How about three? Perez is a beast.

CenTexDave
October 25th, 2016, 10:34 PM
Yep, the catcher who can't hit!! :))

CenTexDave
October 25th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Time for Cody Allen to close it out. Guess the cubs should have gone to the Cavs' game next door at quicken loans arena and seen the championship banner hoisted and the Cavs win:)

Rick
October 25th, 2016, 10:49 PM
Game 1 Tribe.

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Bauer to pitch game 2. Hope his pinkie holds up.

sojourner truth
October 26th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Tribe had some awesome pitching going for them last night. The Cubs have some real sluggers and the pitching had some really good inside sliders going on that fooled the Cubs batters. That, and the fact that the umpire was blind as a bat and called a bunch of balls that were many inches outside the strike zone as strikes when the pitch tracker showed otherwise. But that is how the game goes...

Would have been a bit closer if the old blind bat behind the catcher was equitable in his myopic calls when the cubs were on the mound.

Still, a win is a win.

Rick
October 26th, 2016, 11:09 AM
The strike zone was low for sure, but it was low for both sides.

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2016, 12:22 PM
What that stupid graph the networks use does not show is if any part of the ball crosses any part of the plate at any time. If it does, it's a strike.

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Alert - MLB has moved the game up by one hour because of the possibility of rain later this evening.
A rain out would definitely help Cleveland - give Kluber another day of rest and he could get three starts.
I'm still worried about Cleveland's sluggers - Mike Napoli hasn't done much of anything the past two months, and
Carlos Santana hasn't either. Need these two to start hitting. Can't expect Perez to keep producing homers like
he did last night.

mac
October 26th, 2016, 12:47 PM
if any part of the ball crosses any part of the plate at any time. If it does, it's a strike.

or, at least, should be called a strike....mac

Night Owl
October 26th, 2016, 2:09 PM
What that stupid graph the networks use does not show is if any part of the ball crosses any part of the plate at any time. If it does, it's a strike.
Partly true. The ball must also be between the knees and the letters as it crosses the plate, also known as the strike zone. The strike zone is different for ever player and is also different depending on the height of the umpire calling balls and strikes. A 6 foot tall umps strike zone is different than a 5'7" ump.

mac
October 26th, 2016, 2:53 PM
Partly true. The ball must also be between the knees and the letters as it crosses the plate, also known as the strike zone

what part of the letters? the top? the bottom?

can the batter legally increase or decrease the size of the zone by using his posture, changing his stance ie, crouching etc?.....mac

mac
October 26th, 2016, 2:55 PM

can the batter increase or decrease the size of the zone by using his posture, changing his stance ie, crouching etc?.....mac

who decides whether the letters should go across the nipples or the belly button?.,....mac

Ludwig
October 26th, 2016, 3:09 PM
who decides whether the letters should go across the nipples or the belly button?.,....macAccording to rule 2.00 of the Major League Baseball rule book, a strike zone is defined as: "that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap" and is determined by "the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball." But, what umpires actually judge to be the strike zone is different, and varies between umpires. The key is that the umpire should remain consistent in his/her calls without regard to the team at bat.

Rick
October 26th, 2016, 3:17 PM
Tonight's lineup. Coco Crisp is playing tonight.

sojourner truth
October 26th, 2016, 3:25 PM
One of the questions my wife and I have had this year was do the umpire have to undergo any sort of peer review.

The strike zone this season has been a mystery in almost every game I have seen. Only twice this year have I seen a consistent ump. And I bet I have watched 200 games or more. Not just a series issue, but a baseball wide issue.

It would seem to me that there should be some way for professional umpires at that level to be subject to periodic review for their calls and to see if they are consistent. Not sour grapes here, as the calls can go wither way... and usually do. But the batter can become very confused when the zone seems to move all over the place.

The magic box that the media uses are fairly consistent at all times, and I have noticed that ESPN tends to use them when there is a questionable call while FOX and a few others are always putting them up for almost every pitch.

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2016, 3:43 PM

can the batter legally increase or decrease the size of the zone by using his posture, changing his stance ie, crouching etc?.....mac

Yes he can and it's been done. I remember when Bill Veeck once had a midget/dwarf as a pinch hitter. :))

Night Owl
October 26th, 2016, 3:57 PM

Top of the letters, but today's ump hardly ever call a high strike. Yes as long as his stance is not excessive. Such as crouching tO decrease the size of the strike zone.

i recall in the 50s era one team used a midget, he had one plate appearance for the St Louis Browns.

Night Owl
October 26th, 2016, 4:08 PM

Top of the letters, but today's ump hardly ever call a high strike. Yes as long as his stance is not excessive. Such as crouching tO decrease the size of the strike zone.

i recall in the 50s era one team used a midget, he had one plate appearance for the St Louis Browns.

sickofpc
October 26th, 2016, 5:46 PM
Rick mentioned Rocky Colovito earlier...What great names, along with being great players, some of the players in olden days had...Dizzy Dean, Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Joe, DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig, Enos Slaughter, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra, Roger Maris, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Juan Marichal, Sandy Coufax, Don Drysdale, Roberto Clemente, Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams ..Cy Young, Satchel Paige, Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan, Bob Feller, ....Ernie Banks, Ozzie Smith, Reggie Jackson, Pete Rose, Cal Ripken.These were the glory days of baseball.....I'm still mad at my mother for throwing all of my old baseball cards away.:doh No telling what they would have been worth today!!

mac
October 26th, 2016, 6:04 PM
According to rule 2.00 of the Major League Baseball rule book, a strike zone is defined as: "that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap" and is determined by "the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball." .

but...but...but how can that be? how is that possible? someone on here just said it had to be 'tween the letters and the knees!......mac

johnwc
October 26th, 2016, 7:31 PM
One of the questions my wife and I have had this year was do the umpire have to undergo any sort of peer review.

It would seem to me that there should be some way for professional umpires at that level to be subject to periodic review for their calls and to see if they are consistent. But the batter can become very confused when the zone seems to move all over the place.

The answer is yes, they go through reviews on a game by game basis to include getting feedback on their strike zone . The one thing that is focused on with the strike zone is consistency on how you are calling, meaning if you are calling low you are always calling low , and if you call it one way for one pitcher, you call it the same for others. Note here, the actual calling of the defined strike zone as defined is not the primary focus unless it becomes blatant.

As for batters becoming confused, they do. Having coached at different levels, the most frustrating thing is working with players who are struggling at the plate on improving their approach only to have a blue come through with a zone that better suits their lack of ability to squat or see than what an actual strike is.

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2016, 7:35 PM
Bauer, as usual, gonna mess this up. He'll be gone before the end of the 4th.

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2016, 7:43 PM
Yep. Now time to start hitting.

Night Owl
October 26th, 2016, 8:15 PM
but...but...but how can that be? how is that possible? someone on here just said it had to be 'tween the letters and the knees!......mac
Mac, Ludwig just went into more detail than I did. I used lay mans terms.

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2016, 8:21 PM
This one's over. Put in some subs and get ready for game 3.

Rick
October 26th, 2016, 9:12 PM
Pathetic tonight. Like the Indians of the 70's. Very inconsistent strike zone. Could the announcers gush over the Cubs any more? They've been praising their outs and foul balls. It's ridiculous.

Night Owl
October 26th, 2016, 9:24 PM
Pathetic tonight. Like the Indians of the 70's. Very inconsistent strike zone. Could the announcers gush over the Cubs any more? They've been praising their outs and foul balls. It's ridiculous.
Is that like you and Dave gushing over OSU and the Indians? Just trying to figure out how much gushing is too much.:))

Rick
October 26th, 2016, 9:33 PM
I know it's been what, a decade since you had a winning team to support? So we understand that you don't know what's what anymore.

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2016, 9:42 PM
True. At least in games 3 - 5 we can park Santana on the bench.

mac
October 26th, 2016, 10:56 PM
Mac, Ludwig just went into more detail than I did. I used lay mans terms.

heck, tonight the cubs didn't even have any letters on the front of their shirts....so now i'm really confused....

looks like we went to cleveland tonight and stole one! Doubt if anybody's comin' to wrigly anytime soon and steal one so, that kind of makes it 3 and 1 already....mac

Night Owl
October 27th, 2016, 12:15 AM
I know it's been what, a decade since you had a winning team to support? So we understand that you don't know what's what anymore.
Hmmm, I don't know. The Rangers did ok this year. The Cowboys are doing ok, how's the Browns doing?

Rick
October 27th, 2016, 5:00 AM
What World Series are the Rangers in? :))

As for the Cowboys, you have a former Ohio State running back to thank for that.

I love how mac said "we"... be careful jumping on and off those bandwagons. :bluerofl

CenTexDave
October 27th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Remember, Owl, when it comes to Ohio football there are three teams. The only one that matters plays in Columbus. :)

Was good to see Salazar pitch an inning last night. He wasn't sharp as usual, but to be expected after not pitching for 7 weeks. Still had the velocity though.
Might have to give him a start in game 5. I sure would prefer him over Bauer any night.

fchafey
October 27th, 2016, 10:26 AM
I was really happy with the way Arietta pitched last night and it was also evident the Cubs weren't going to play conservative. Doing that cost them runs in game 1. I also think Jack buck is spinning in his grave. Buck and Shmoltz need to be muted. Those two talked about how the Cubs have a potential dynasty the last game they played against the Dodgers. Dynasty? really, until they win the World Series, they are just another team trying. It's like listening to the people talk about Francona being the savior of the Indians. Let the teams play and shut up.

Rick
October 27th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Remember, Owl,
Telling Owl to remember something is like telling a Clinton not to lie. It isn't going to happen.

mac
October 27th, 2016, 11:00 AM
What World Series are the Rangers in? :))

As for the Cowboys, you have a former Ohio State running back to thank for that.

I love how mac said "we"... be careful jumping on and off those bandwagons. :bluerofl

well.....that was a royal "we". Kings and Monarchs, and yes, even some U.S. Presidents always say "we" instead of 'I'...... but Rick is correct, jumping off and on of bandwagons can be inherently dangerous.....mac

sojourner truth
October 27th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Well, if you listened to the game the night before you would have been hearing the announcers gush all over Kluber and the Indians... It is what it is... Darn great baseball.

The problem that the Indians are going to have is the Cubs bats. They have repeatedly done better than they should have, and have had a lot of luck at the plate. All it takes is a less than stellar effort by the opposing pitcher for the Cubs to get a leg up.

The Indians and the Cubs both have great relief pitching, and as in all things, sometimes it is not as great as usual.

Now, let's see how the y play in Chi town......

Night Owl
October 27th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Y'all go ahead and gush over the Indians cause it don't happen often.:)) I will give y'all a pass if the Browns EVER make it to the Super Bowl, heck even to the playoffs. :))

mac
October 27th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Y'all go ahead and gush over the Indians cause it don't happen often.:)) I will give y'all a pass if the Browns EVER make it to the Super Bowl, heck even to the playoffs. :))

no sweat......they'll limp back to Cleveland in a real hurt....I expect them to exhaust a lot of their resources in a futile effort to save something at Wrigley....but all for naught......mac

CenTexDave
October 27th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Cubs feast on fastballs on mediocre pitching, seem to have trouble with good breaking stuff.
I knew the Tribe was screwed when Francona announced Bauer was gonna pitch game two.
Unfortunately, Kluber can't pitch everyday. If I was Francona I'd seriously consider starting
Ryan Merritt in game 4 and save Kluber for game 5. Merritt is the type of pitcher that gives power hitters fits.
Of course that would mean he'd have no chance of pitching a game 7 if it goes that far, unless we get a weather cancellation
which may be coming. Playing a WS at the end of Oct and early Nov is stupid.
Friday's pitching duel should be good - the Cubs' start their ace. Cleveland counters with Tomlin, who is a
Gary Maddox-style pitcher. If he is on it could be a good game. If he can't hit the corners it'll be all over after
two innings.
Just too bad these two teams couldn't meet with both rosters healthy. If Cleveland had Cookie Carrasco and Salazar
as the #2 and 3 pitchers it might be a classic WS. Toss in Michael Brantley for the Tribe and would really be good.

Rick
October 27th, 2016, 11:52 AM
I thought Merritt should have started game 2. Let him feel the home crowd appreciation and give Bauer a couple more days to heal the finger. Hopefully, they got their bad day out of the way last night.

But, I am just a fan. Not like one of these Texas fans, I'm an Indians fan, rain or shine, win or lose. Despite what Cub's #1 new fan thinks, the games still have to be played.

CenTexDave
October 27th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Sure - everybody's a Cubs' fan now! And 99% of the newbies couldn't name their starting lineup. :))

Rick
October 27th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Or which city they play in...:bluerofl

fchafey
October 27th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Sure - everybody's a Cubs' fan now! And 99% of the newbies couldn't name their starting lineup. :))

Some of us are National League fans. Some of us detest the DH. some of us are baseball fans and remember when Joe Pepitone was the first baseball player to get razzed about having a blow dryer in his locker room by the press. And yes, he was a Cub. Some of us also remember Alomar spitting on an ump and telling him he hopes his crippled kid dies. And yes he was an Indian.

Rick
October 27th, 2016, 1:03 PM
Some of us also remember Alomar spitting on an ump and telling him he hopes his crippled kid dies. And yes he was an Indian.
Nope, the spitter was Roberto Alomar and he was a Baltimore Oriole. Sandy Alomar Jr. played for the Indians and is currently the first base coach and is far too classy to spit on anyone!

CenTexDave
October 27th, 2016, 1:36 PM
No he wasn't. That was Roberto Alomar and he was with The Orioles when he did that.

CenTexDave
October 27th, 2016, 1:38 PM
Screw this damn phone. Tired of correcting words. Was Sandy's brother.

Night Owl
October 27th, 2016, 1:51 PM
I dislike the Cubs even more than I do the Tribe. Not a fan of baseball. Could not tell you a single player on either team, heck I can't name a player on the Rangers.

Rick
October 27th, 2016, 2:03 PM
Who's on first!

fchafey
October 27th, 2016, 2:05 PM
Nope, the spitter was Roberto Alomar and he was a Baltimore Oriole. Sandy Alomar Jr. played for the Indians and is currently the first base coach and is far too classy to spit on anyone!

My sincere apologies, you are correct. He was an Oriole. As an aside, I never ;like Pete Rose after he slid into Fosse at the all star game either. Him getting busted for betting on his own team while he was manager was the icing on the cake.

CenTexDave
October 27th, 2016, 2:05 PM
He is? :))

Night Owl
October 27th, 2016, 2:10 PM
Who's on first!
No, who's on third.

Rick
October 27th, 2016, 2:12 PM
My sincere apologies, you are correct. He was an Oriole. As an aside, I never ;like Pete Rose after he slid into Fosse at the all star game either. Him getting busted for betting on his own team while he was manager was the icing on the cake.
No apology needed.

I never cared for Rose much either.

Gramps
October 27th, 2016, 2:22 PM
Who's on first!
I Don't Know!

mac
October 27th, 2016, 2:40 PM

???????????so......you would've rather that he bet on the opposing team?.....i always found it hard to blame him for any wrong doing by simply bettin' on his team to win......and he wasn't bettin' on points or spreads either, it was simply win/lose......mac

sojourner truth
October 27th, 2016, 3:48 PM
I am not a Cubs or a Tribe fan, but this is darn great baseball no matter what flavor you like.

And like I said, no matter who wins, baseball wins.

You have to have a little bit of hope for both teams because they have been on a mighty long diet of losing years. It is only a shame that both cannot win.

Night Owl
October 27th, 2016, 4:59 PM
I am not a Cubs or a Tribe fan, but this is darn great baseball no matter what flavor you like.

And like I said, no matter who wins, baseball wins.

You have to have a little bit of hope for both teams because they have been on a mighty long diet of losing years. It is only a shame that both cannot win.
The real shame is one of them will win, maybe.:))

CenTexDave
October 27th, 2016, 6:00 PM
Up yours. :))

Night Owl
October 27th, 2016, 6:05 PM
Haters gotta hate.:))

fchafey
October 27th, 2016, 6:29 PM
???????????so......you would've rather that he bet on the opposing team?.....i always found it hard to blame him for any wrong doing by simply bettin' on his team to win......and he wasn't bettin' on points or spreads either, it was simply win/lose......mac

Really, you support this crook? he bet on his team to win while he was the manager. I suppose you think LT Calley was misunderstood too.

mac
October 27th, 2016, 6:37 PM
Really, you support this crook? he bet on his team to win while he was the manager. I suppose you think LT Calley was misunderstood too.

well, if he bet against his team, i s'pose then you could say that was crooked but to bet on his own team?.....hard for someone of my limited intellect to see how that could be anything other than faith in his team.

the main thing wrong with Lt. Calley, other than being greener than a gourd, is that he prob'ly had the worst or weakest Platoon Sgt in Country (SSG Harris(.....and Calley knows it.....cause I told him so......in front of his Company Commander (Capt Medina).....who wasn't worth much either.....mac

CenTexDave
October 27th, 2016, 7:17 PM
I'm glad Rose is still whining about the HoF. Hope they never elect him. He's a pompous buffoon.

Rick
October 27th, 2016, 9:57 PM
well, if he bet against his team, i s'pose then you could say that was crooked but to bet on his own team?.....hard for someone of my limited intellect to see how that could be anything other than faith in his team.

the main thing wrong with Lt. Calley, other than being greener than a gourd, is that he prob'ly had the worst or weakest Platoon Sgt in Country (SSG Harris(.....and Calley knows it.....cause I told him so......in front of his Company Commander (Capt Medina).....who wasn't worth much either.....mac
Whoa Mac, you are a part of history. I was probably in 5th grade when Calley's trial was going on. Even then, I remember hearing about it in the news every night.

If you don't mind telling us, what was your position at the time?

mac
October 27th, 2016, 11:29 PM
Whoa Mac, you are a part of history. I was probably in 5th grade when Calley's trial was going on. Even then, I remember hearing about it in the news every night.

From the very beginning I've always felt sorry (well kind of) for Calley. Like I said, was greener than a gourd....had a terrible Platoon Sgt (SSG Harris) and never even should've been out there. His Company Commander had to know the Calley needed some help before engaging in something like that. You have to remember, that calley was a bellhop something else when he enlisted....don't remember what it was but it was equally innocuously....was very poorly educated and was made an admin clerk. he applied for OCS, was accepted and was graduated and the rest is history. Back at that time, every pay day some of us had to report to the S1 shop and tell them again and again and a gain that NO, I do not want to go to OCS and become an Officer!.....They just wouldn't take no for an answer and hells bells, a damned sunflower could be commissioned back then......and the rest is all history.....Calley also had some project 100 fellas in his platoon....mac

hmm, i might be mistaken but I just re-read your question to me up there and think I prob'ly mis-understood it the first go 'round. If by "my position", you mean my job, I was a sniper assigned to the 173rd on loan to Americal and further to the 11th. While Calley was doing his deed , I was about 5, maybe 6 miles to his NE (same map sheet).......Had no idea what the hell all those birds were doing over there and was pretty concerned about it.....I wasn't s'posed to be a blocking position and it was startin' to look like that was what I was facein'.....mac

mac
October 27th, 2016, 11:44 PM
I'm glad Rose is still whining about the HoF. Hope they never elect him. He's a pompous buffoon.

yeow, i'll give you that but it ain't like he'd be the only "pompous buffoon" in the HoF if they innaugurated him and doesn't he still, even to this day, have more hits than anyone else in MLB?......(say yes, it won't hurt)....and who have you ever seen that could hustle the way he did......mac

sickofpc
October 28th, 2016, 7:44 AM
Dave, Rose is a pompous buffoon, no doubt, as are many major leaguers and HOFers, as mac alludes to,...but Rose was a great, great player. He, without a doubt, loved the game and hustled, and gave it everything he had every time he stepped on the field....Personally, I think he deserves to be in the Hall. ....Many, many players have done worse than he did, in my opinion, and are in. He definitely is cocky and arrogant, but he was a unique, talented player that people loved to watch.

fchafey
October 28th, 2016, 8:19 AM

Thank you, I had no idea how to respond to that. Blew me away....

fchafey
October 28th, 2016, 8:29 AM
No one disputes the fact Rose has more hits than anyone. The main crux of the issue is no one has ever been caught betting on their team to win or lose while a player, manager, whatever while in baseball. The writers that vote believe he broke the only rule you shouldn't. Granted not everyone enshrined is a choir boy,. If Rose gets in it will be posthumous. Same for McGuire, Sosa, Canseco, Bonds, Schilling, Clemens, if at all.

Now back to the world series game 3 tonight in Chicago. Perfect baseball weather 62 degrees, winds out of the south at 18. Let 'em rip boys.

sickofpc
October 28th, 2016, 9:46 AM
Is it the writers that are keeping Rose out...or MLB? Womanizers, drunks, criminals, drug users, racists, wife beaters in the HOF,...but not Rose. Somehow it is just a little too hypocritcal.

Rick
October 28th, 2016, 10:57 AM
From the very beginning I've always felt sorry (well kind of) for Calley. Like I said, was greener than a gourd....had a terrible Platoon Sgt (SSG Harris) and never even should've been out there. His Company Commander had to know the Calley needed some help before engaging in something like that. You have to remember, that calley was a bellhop something else when he enlisted....don't remember what it was but it was equally innocuously....was very poorly educated and was made an admin clerk. he applied for OCS, was accepted and was graduated and the rest is history. Back at that time, every pay day some of us had to report to the S1 shop and tell them again and again and a gain that NO, I do not want to go to OCS and become an Officer!.....They just wouldn't take no for an answer and hells bells, a damned sunflower could be commissioned back then......and the rest is all history.....Calley also had some project 100 fellas in his platoon....mac

hmm, i might be mistaken but I just re-read your question to me up there and think I prob'ly mis-understood it the first go 'round. If by "my position", you mean my job, I was a sniper assigned to the 173rd on loan to Americal and further to the 11th. While Calley was doing his deed , I was about 5, maybe 6 miles to his NE (same map sheet).......Had no idea what the hell all those birds were doing over there and was pretty concerned about it.....I wasn't s'posed to be a blocking position and it was startin' to look like that was what I was facein'.....mac
Ya, I was wondering what you were doing then and why you were so close to the players in it.

Sad what happened. No winners.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Just read Francona is considering starting Carlos Santana in LF for the games at Wrigley.
I'm sure he wants his bat, or let's say, possible bat because he hasn't done much with it throughout
the playoffs.
I know he used to be a catcher, and not a very good one. Then they tried him at 3B and he blew that.
He isn't that good of a 1B either, so he's been the DH most of the year.
But he can run, has an arm better than what the Tribe has for LF now (Coco Crisp
and Brandon Guyer).
Gonna be interesting.

mac
October 28th, 2016, 4:58 PM
Ya, I was wondering what you were doing then and why you were so close to the players in it.

Sad what happened. No winners.

well the NVA won.....and the VC won.....and the American Hippies won and.......mac

Rick
October 28th, 2016, 5:24 PM
With the number of people killed in that war, winning was not a victory.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 5:46 PM
Back to baseball - Go Tribe!!! :)

mac
October 28th, 2016, 5:48 PM
With the number of people killed in that war, winning was not a victory.

well, i kinda s'pect the NVA and VC would disagree with you. I'm pretty sure they think they got a victory out of the whole thing.....mac

gnatsum
October 28th, 2016, 5:57 PM
No one disputes the fact Rose has more hits than anyone. The main crux of the issue is no one has ever been caught betting on their team to win or lose while a player, manager, whatever while in baseball. The writers that vote believe he broke the only rule you shouldn't. Granted not everyone enshrined is a choir boy,. If Rose gets in it will be posthumous. Same for McGuire, Sosa, Canseco, Bonds, Schilling, Clemens, if at all.

Now back to the world series game 3 tonight in Chicago. Perfect baseball weather 62 degrees, winds out of the south at 18. Let 'em rip boys.

Read years ago that it's the MLB leadership itself that is keeping Rose out. Many writers are willing to vote for him, but since MLB is the group actually counting the votes...
The late Commissioner Bart Giamatti was one of the bigger obstacles to Rose getting in when he was first eligible, from what little I've read.

Rumor years ago that basketball great Michael Jordan's little "year off to play baseball" was actually orchestrated by the NBA...as punishment for MJ's betting on NBA games! It "decided" that benching him for a year was going to hurt the sport "as a whole", so they concocted the baseball run as a reasonable diversion.

mac
October 28th, 2016, 6:02 PM
Read years ago that it's the MLB leadership itself that is keeping Rose out. Many writers are willing to vote for him, but since MLB is the group actually counting the votes...
The late Commissioner Bart Giamatti was one of the bigger obstacles to Rose getting in when he was first eligible, from what little I've read.

Rumor years ago that basketball great Michael Jordan's little "year off to play baseball" was actually orchestrated by the NBA...as punishment for MJ's betting on NBA games! It "decided" that benching him for a year was going to hurt the sport "as a whole", so they concocted the baseball run as a reasonable diversion.

damned if i can figure out or see what the harm is when a manager bets on his own team to win.....ain't talkin' 'bout no spread or anything weird like that....like that....just straight out win or lose.....mac

mac
October 28th, 2016, 6:09 PM
No one disputes the fact Rose has more hits than anyone.

but ain't it kind of silly to have a HoF and not have the leagues leading hitter in it?........mac

sojourner truth
October 28th, 2016, 6:34 PM
Well.... I remind myself here that Ty Cobb is in there, and he was about as nasty a piece of work as ever spit tobacco in the dugout.:))

fchafey
October 28th, 2016, 7:06 PM
but ain't it kind of silly to have a HoF and not have the leagues leading hitter in it?........mac

Yes it is. Denny McClain should be in the hall of fame too. Last pitcher to win 30 in a season, but he is black balled as well.

Rick
October 28th, 2016, 7:18 PM
Looks like another shoelace low strike zone tonight. Hope it's that way for both sides.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 7:45 PM
Tomlin is looking good.

Ludwig
October 28th, 2016, 7:56 PM
Tomlin is looking good.His pitches look good... but he's butt ugly... certainly not looking good except maybe to his mom.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 8:06 PM
He's from Texas!:)

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 8:18 PM
This home plate ump needs a referral to a good optometrist..

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 8:47 PM
Cubs ace is gone. Now the Tribe needs to greet the reliever with a grand slam:)

Rick
October 28th, 2016, 8:53 PM
Indians have wasted a lot of chances tonight.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 9:02 PM
Only have shelves to blame if they lose this. Tomlin pitched great.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 9:29 PM
Thank you Fox for losing the pic.

Rick
October 28th, 2016, 9:34 PM
No ####.

I'm watching play by play on MLB.com.

Coco Crisp singled and drove in a run.

1-0

Rick
October 28th, 2016, 9:40 PM
Kipnis grounded out to end the inning.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 9:41 PM
Was following it on ESPN.com. Don't know if it's Fox or DirecTV, but I'm pissed!!!

Rick
October 28th, 2016, 9:41 PM
It's FOX. Dish network is out too.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 9:42 PM
In other news, Killeen leads Cove 21-14, end 3rd. Atta boy, Jack!!!! :))

Night Owl
October 28th, 2016, 9:44 PM
Fox really sucks when it comes to sporting events.

But is anyone really watching the WS any more?:))

Just check and I have a picture on the game.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 9:54 PM
Fix is back. Dodged a close one last inning.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 9:55 PM
Fox is back. Damn tiny keyboard.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 9:57 PM
Damn fox. Still messed up

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 9:58 PM
But we have the lead. Now finish it!!

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Top of the 9th. Need an insurance run. Go Tribe.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 10:19 PM
Cove lost to Killeen, 28-14. :))

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Three outs to go. Do it Indians.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 10:38 PM
Damn Napoli!! Hasn't been hitting and now makes an error and blows the third out

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!+!!!!;!!!!;!!!!;

Rick
October 28th, 2016, 10:44 PM
What a game. Wow!!!

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2016, 10:50 PM
Shaw and Allen will give you cardiac arrest.

fchafey
October 29th, 2016, 7:31 AM
Excellent baseball game. Hope the series stays this tight. Great game.

sojourner truth
October 29th, 2016, 9:44 AM
Well, if nothing else it would mean that the final games will be in Cleveland.

And I bet it will go to 7 games... It is more profitable for the advertisers to stretch it out as long as they can.

What I noticed the last few nights was how absolutely every surface inside and outside the stadium is plastered with some sort of ad... I get so sick of shameless advertising. It is why half of every hour long TV show is commercials any more.

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2016, 9:47 AM
Kluber gets the start today. If he tosses another gem this thing is over.
Still waiting to see some hitting- neither team is doing much of it. Good pitching though.

mac
October 29th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Shaw and Allen will give you cardiac arrest.

wow....ain't that the truth!.....mac

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Well, if nothing else it would mean that the final games will be in Cleveland.

And I bet it will go to 7 games... It is more profitable for the advertisers to stretch it out as long as they can.

What I noticed the last few nights was how absolutely every surface inside and outside the stadium is plastered with some sort of ad... I get so sick of shameless advertising. It is why half of every hour long TV show is commercials any more.

Maybe wrong. Win today and then tomorrow!!

Night Owl
October 29th, 2016, 5:01 PM
Maybe wrong. Win today and then tomorrow!!
Or lose today and tomorrow.

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2016, 5:24 PM
You hope. :))

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2016, 5:47 PM

sojourner truth
October 29th, 2016, 6:45 PM
Like I said, no matter which way it goes, it was great baseball.

Night Owl
October 29th, 2016, 7:08 PM
Don't care.:))

Night Owl
October 29th, 2016, 7:09 PM
It's all good as long as I get to :pokeat you and Rick.:))

sojourner truth
October 29th, 2016, 7:31 PM
Well, Kluber isn't quite so unhittable tonight....

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2016, 7:45 PM
Neither is Lester. Santana took that one way out.

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2016, 7:47 PM
Kluber just got a hit and drove in a run.:)):))

Rick
October 29th, 2016, 7:49 PM
They walked Naquin to get to Kluber and he had a great at bat.

Love it!

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2016, 8:04 PM
Oh hell yes!!!! Way to go Frankie.

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2016, 9:08 PM
RBI for Chisenall. Starting to look pretty good.

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2016, 9:30 PM
Miller Time coming up next. :)

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2016, 9:39 PM
The fat lady has sung!!!:))

Rick
October 29th, 2016, 9:41 PM
Amazing!

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2016, 9:58 PM
Two more innings. Hope Shaw and Allen can close it out. We need this one cuz flake Bauer pitches tomorrow.

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2016, 10:29 PM
I'm starting to think the Tribe may just win this thing.:)

Rick
October 29th, 2016, 10:41 PM
I'm speechless!

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2016, 9:58 AM
I'm about positive we'll be brought down to earth this evening with Bauer pitching, unless we outscore them something like 10-9.
If they remain patient at the plate - something the Cubs have not done - they can pound Lester into oblivion.
Francona sure has pulled some smart moves though. Starts Santana at 1B over Napoli, and Santana responds with a big bat.
Good to see Kipnis finally get his offense going.

fchafey
October 30th, 2016, 12:00 PM
On the sports page today in teh KDH, it was about the Cubs. Really? The Indians are on the verge of winning and would be only the second city to have both the the World Series and NBA title. LA having done it in 1988 and 2002 (Dodgers/Lakers, Angels/Lakers). Interesting the indians are beating them while not having the DH last two games. I know you Indians fans want it done tonight and for good reason. Good luck.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2016, 1:06 PM
Normal for the KDH, but was probably written a week or so ago.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2016, 7:38 PM
Crazy start with that foul ball, but Rameriz shut the crowd up. Tribe 1-0.

Rick
October 30th, 2016, 8:07 PM
Bauer is on it tonight. Go Tribe!

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2016, 8:08 PM
Yes he is. Hope we get a couple more runs and Bauer can go another two innings then turn it over to Miller & Co.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2016, 8:19 PM
So much for Bauer looking great.

Rick
October 30th, 2016, 8:21 PM
Dammit! Come on Tribe, limit the damage.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2016, 8:31 PM
Can't believe Tito has left Bauer in there.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2016, 8:59 PM
Lead off double and they can't get the run. Beginning to think this is the cubs' night.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2016, 9:00 PM
Tribe is falling apart.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2016, 9:26 PM
Now is the time for Napoli to send one over the upper roof.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2016, 9:37 PM
Here comes their high heater specialist. Need to get Napoli in from second. Might not get another chance.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2016, 10:22 PM
Tribe has had plenty of chances and squandered them. That one bad inning......

Rick
October 30th, 2016, 10:22 PM
I hated how they let Lindor run out of the inning with Napoli at the plate.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2016, 10:47 PM
Back to Cleveland. Didn't figure this would be easy.

Rick
October 30th, 2016, 10:52 PM
Ya, it'll be great to close it out at home.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2016, 10:56 PM
Win game 6. Don't want a game 7. Shut these obnoxious Cubs' fans up. All the celebs cheering on Chicago can enjoy their flights back to LA.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2016, 11:03 PM
At least the Cowboys won in OT.

Night Owl
October 31st, 2016, 12:04 AM
The Browns didn't, but they came close.

fchafey
October 31st, 2016, 8:24 AM
I imagine things will get awfully tense in Cleveland should this get to game 7........

CenTexDave
October 31st, 2016, 8:55 AM
Definitely. But win or lose this has been a good World Series. My definition of a good World Series is one that does not have the NY Yankees or LA Dodgers playing in it.:)
I imagine both managers will pull out all tricks Tuesday night.

fchafey
October 31st, 2016, 9:16 AM
I have really enjoyed small ball. The pick off of on first, the bunts, the snap throws from home to first. Good world series and although I am rooting for the Cubs, I will be glad when they get back to Cleveland. Am tired of Buck and Schmoltz's love fest with Chicago, its fans, and a team that hasn't done anything yet.

sojourner truth
October 31st, 2016, 1:22 PM
Like I said... It will go 7 because the sponsors lose any other way.:))

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2016, 7:22 PM
Sure looks like it will go 7. Tomlin is getting shelled and the Tribe let a fly ball fall in then an error on the throw.

Rick
November 1st, 2016, 7:25 PM
You give up too easy. Go Tribe!

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2016, 7:41 PM
Sure looks like it will go 7. Tomlin is getting shelled and the Tribe let a fly ball fall in then an error on the throw.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2016, 7:49 PM
Swing the damn bat !!!!!

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2016, 8:05 PM
I'm turning the f'ing channel. This one is over

Rick
November 1st, 2016, 8:07 PM
I don't understand why Merritt didn't start. Stupid move on Francona's part.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2016, 8:32 PM
I agree. Or even Salazar. Tomlin has never been good on 3 days rest, although those outfielders sure didn't do him any favors.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2016, 8:42 PM
Normal - load the bases and Naguin fans. Kid can't hit a fastball.

Rick
November 1st, 2016, 9:04 PM
Can Kipnis score five more runs? He's trying to ignite the rest of the team.

fchafey
November 1st, 2016, 9:13 PM
The Indians have a selfish outfield. Kipnis will bat once more. Probably end 7-3. There you go I just jinxed the Cubs. Question is when did Western Michigan get so good?

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2016, 9:20 PM
The announcers are saying crowd noise didn't allow those two OFs to hear each other. Maybe, but still inexcusable. Crowd noise had nothing. To do with that grand slam. Western Michigan is in the MAC. Every year they produce a good team. Guess it's their turn.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2016, 10:07 PM
You listen to these announcers and they have all but handed the trophy to the Cubs. The Tribe has to come out swinging the bats tomorrow and score early and often. Even with Kluber pitching - another 3 days rest. The guy is great but he ain't Superman.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 3:50 PM
I read where some Cubs' fan spent $50K on two tickets!!!
I was ROTFLMAO until my son called me. It was his buddy - a season ticket holder and he is the one who sold the tickets!!!
The guy said he can sit in his favorite watering hole, drink much cheaper beer and watch the game on a 70" HDTV. Sound decision. :)

sojourner truth
November 2nd, 2016, 3:59 PM
I already explained it folks... The advertisers won't stand for anything less than a 7 game series....:))

mac
November 2nd, 2016, 4:08 PM
I already explained it folks... The advertisers won't stand for anything less than a 7 game series....:))

Sojourner: You're saying that tongue in cheek, right?....I can never tell when you guys are being sarcastic and not serious....mac

gnatsum
November 2nd, 2016, 5:15 PM
Well, it's the networks, too.
For what a network pays MLB to broadcast the World Series, they want to get their money out of it, and a '4-&-out' series is the most desired outcome. The networks charge for the ads they run during the pre-game show, the game, and the post-game show. The more ball is played, the more ad revenue comes in. A network sports program director's wet dream? Every game in the World Series goes extra innings.
Same for all or most of the other sports, whether it's the Series, the Super Bowl, the Daytona 500, Indy 500, the Final Four, or the Rose Bowl.

sickofpc
November 2nd, 2016, 5:48 PM
Go Indians...I mean Cubs....I mean Indians...uh, I mean Cubs....I meant Indians,...Go Cubs...!! I don't want to make anybody mad ;)....Seriously, tho...it has been a very good series...and I am sure game 7 will be a great game. Both teams are fun to watch...I do think the Indians pitching will dominate. It will all depend on if the Cubs get a hitting streak going, imho.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 6:06 PM
We'll know in 4 hours. As much as I would love to see the Indians win I won't be upset (too much :)) if the Cubs win. Nice weather forecast so Play Ball!!

mac
November 2nd, 2016, 6:59 PM
Go Indians...I mean Cubs....I mean Indians...uh, I mean Cubs....I meant Indians,...Go Cubs...!! I don't want to make anybody mad ;)....Seriously, tho...it has been a very good series...and I am sure game 7 will be a great game. Both teams are fun to watch...I do think the Indians pitching will dominate. It will all depend on if the Cubs get a hitting streak going, imho.

ok....so i guess the uncaught high fly ball last night and the easy pitches were all bought and paid for.....and cleveland went ahead with it cause they get a cut too. ok, i get it....mac

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 7:13 PM
Not the way to start it off for Cleveland. :-s

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 7:38 PM
Cleveland is playing like they don't want to win. Lousy baserunning. They are hitting, but not stringing anything together.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 8:32 PM
It's all over. Kluber just didn't have it tonight. This going on 3 days rest back-to-back-to-back finally caught up with him.
Of course he didn't have much help from the sloppy play - runner picked off first (2nd or 3rd time this series), OF can't seem to catch
balls and a sloppy throw on a sacrifice run.
Still, the Tribe wasn't even supposed to win their division, much less beat Boston and Toronto to get this far.
If their top 3 pitchers had all been healthy it may have been different.
Bringing Miller in now - too late. And really too early.

Rick
November 2nd, 2016, 8:32 PM
The pitching situation is why I didn't want it to go to seven. The base running has been lousy.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 8:51 PM
The Tribe ran wild on the bases during the regular season. The Cubs were ready for them.
Now they are shelling Miller. I think Cleveland's pitchers are worn out.
The Tribe has a good and young nucleus of key players, but some deadwood that needs to be replaced IMO includes:
Chisenhall - hit decently during the regular season, but other than that HR against Boston hasn't done squat in the postseason, plus he resembles a buffoon in RF. Defensive liability.
Davis - hit about .265 during the regular season and led the league in SBs. Hasn't hit much in the playoffs but still stole a few. But he's 35 years old or so. Of course his potential replacement -
Naquin - can't seem to hit a fastball and is a liability in the field.
Crisp - no arm for an outfielder, but is still a spark plug. Can steal a base, and seems to hit well with RISP. Is a switch hitter, but he's the old man on the team.
Guyer - see Crisp.
Brantley should return next year and hopefully - although no guarantees - that he will return to his old form. Might consider trying him at 1B because
Napoli - hasn't done squat this series.
The infield is pretty set. Need outfielders. Abraham Almonte is like Davis - old; that other one they signed then got suspended for PED use should be dumped.
They traded a great prospect to the Yanks to get Miller. While Miller has been great, he is also fairly old (34 I think) and don't know how much he has left in the tank.
Still, a great year.
Now about those Browns............................................ .:)

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 9:00 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I spoke too soon.
Their catcher looks dizzy. He is a replacement brought in to catch Lester. Their other catcher is now out of the game.

fchafey
November 2nd, 2016, 9:43 PM
Dizzy just popped one out of the park....sorry couldnt resist.:)

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 10:15 PM
And Davis just popped a two run shot. Game tied 6-6. :)

Rick
November 2nd, 2016, 10:17 PM
Holy crap. What a game.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 10:20 PM
If Allen can hold them we have the top of the order coming up in the bottom of the 9th.
Figures that after I bash Davis he hits one out. Maybe Napoli will finally come through in the 9th.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 10:35 PM
Are the Cubs carryiing 3 catchers? They just pinch ran for Ross!

Rick
November 2nd, 2016, 10:38 PM
I don't know. Missed all of that. There was a possum in the chicken coop. He died!

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 10:44 PM
Celebrate our victory with a pot of possum stew! :))

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 10:45 PM
Here we go - bottom of the 9th.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 10:53 PM
Damn - extra innings. Both bullpens are getting worn out.

Rick
November 2nd, 2016, 11:01 PM
Rain delay!!! What the hell, why not!

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 11:01 PM
Now a rain delay. Midnight in Cleveland.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 11:20 PM
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 11:24 PM
Double DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick
November 2nd, 2016, 11:25 PM
Well hell.

Rick
November 2nd, 2016, 11:27 PM
I was worried that the rain delay would cool the Tribe's pitcher too much.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 11:27 PM
Good Lord - they bring in Bauer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 11:33 PM
Bauer got them out of that mess, but we need 2 to tie. Time for Napoli to unload one.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 11:38 PM
Figures - the lughead strikes out. They need to let this guy walk after this season. Hasn't done a thing in the playoffs and was
in a major slump all of Sept.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 11:44 PM
We're still alive!!!!!!!! :)
Indians are out of players who can pinch hit.

mac
November 2nd, 2016, 11:46 PM
We're still alive!!!!!!!! :)
Indians are out of players who can pinch hit.

wow.....i'm an old old man but i don't believe i've ever seen anything as stoopid as what i'm seeing now. get him out of there!

mac
November 2nd, 2016, 11:47 PM
wow.....i'm an old old man but i don't believe i've ever seen anything as stoopid as what i'm seeing now. get him out of there!

he gone......

that was absolutely plain stoopid....mac

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2016, 11:48 PM
Damn. But what a year!!!!!!!!!!

Rick
November 2nd, 2016, 11:49 PM
Another twenty year wait I guess!

mac
November 2nd, 2016, 11:50 PM
he gone......

that was absolutely plain stoopid....mac

holy cow! we just won it!.....mac

Night Owl
November 3rd, 2016, 12:59 AM
Cubs win!!!! Cubs Win!!!! I only watched the 9th and 10th. Wow, what a great game.

kantwin
November 3rd, 2016, 5:27 AM
I watched the 8th, 9th and 10th, the only baseball I watched all year.
Those 3 innings still took over 90 minutes, which is why I don't watch baseball....

fchafey
November 3rd, 2016, 6:07 AM
Joe Madden certainly wont get manager of the year, but the Cubs won. i sad screw it an went to bed after the top of the 8th was done.

Rick
November 3rd, 2016, 6:41 AM
holy cow! we just won it!.....mac
Just because you remember the last time they won it doesn't make you part of the team today. :bluerofl

CenTexDave
November 3rd, 2016, 9:11 AM
Another twenty year wait I guess!

Don't think so. They'll be back in it next year. If they got this far with 2 of their top 3 pitchers and their best hitter out,
they should do just fine next year. I would tweek the roster some though. That OF does not impress me at all.

Rick
November 3rd, 2016, 9:27 AM
I hope Crisp stays with them. What is there not to like about him?

I'd have Napoli bagging groceries somewhere. What a nothing he turned out to be.

I love watching all these bull#### Cubs fans crawling out of the woodwork.

fchafey
November 3rd, 2016, 9:30 AM
I agree, that outfield is iffy. I got pretty pissed at that game last night. Hendricks gets pulled. I didn't know John Lester had it in his contract that he doesn't have to field any balls. Let's make the 40 year old chase them. Are you kidding me? The Cubs should have got a clue when Miller got smacked around that maybe Chapman's 100mph plus pitches were going to start getting sent over his head. I had a feeling the Cubs were going to blow it so I went to bed. I was almost right. To me Bryant should have been the MVP for the series, but I guess the guy that drove in the winning run was the popular choice. The thing that really surprises me is all the former Red Sox players that are now shining on other teams. Lastly, who picked the 3 stooges for the pregame? They couldn't do better than Steroid Boy, The Gambler and Sir Elbow, Frank Thomas. Pete Rose quipped, when they were talking about baseball, that he has 2 rings Thomas just smiled at him, knowing Rose and Arod wont ever see the HoF while they are alive. Pretty pathetic.

Rick
November 3rd, 2016, 9:56 AM
A pitcher who can't/won't throw to a base is strange as hell.

CenTexDave
November 3rd, 2016, 10:29 AM
I hope Crisp stays with them. What is there not to like about him?

I'd have Napoli bagging groceries somewhere. What a nothing he turned out to be.

I love watching all these bull#### Cubs fans crawling out of the woodwork.

The only real knock against Crisp is his arm. He's also ancient for a baseball player. But he performed well for them. Same with Guyer. I'd definitely be looking for a couple of OF though. Chisenhall is about worthless. Time
the Tribe give up on him - he couldn't play 3B and he definitely isn't a very good RF either. His bat, except for the HR against Boston, totally disappeared in the playoffs. Davis is also old, but he led the league in stolen bases.
Timely hit last night for sure, but his fielding leaves a bit to be desired. Same with Naquin - defensive liability. He was tearing the league up with his hitting when he first came up, but teams eventually figured out he can't hit
fastballs and his batting average dropped 30 points the last couple of months. Don't know if there are any decent soon to be free agents out there, but they need a reshuffle in the OF.
And Napoli should be let go. He's on a one year deal and his bat all but vanished starting the end of August. Try Brantley at first. Still have Santana who can also play 1B and DH. People will say "how can you let a guy go that hit 34 HRs and
drove in over 100 RBIs?" Easy - he's old, too, and he's dead weight. Free up his salary and resign some of the better players.
Saw the just released Vegas odds for next year - Cubs are 3-1 to win it all again, then Boston is 10-1. They list the Tribe at 12-1. Get Brantley, Carrasco and Salazar back and the Tribe will be back in it. Vegas odds-makers are
good at making fools of themselves.

sojourner truth
November 3rd, 2016, 11:23 AM
Crisp is outstanding... When he was on the As, we used to hate to see him come to bat against the Rangers.. He usually gets on first, and before you can blink, he is on 3rd.

Tribe had Chapmans number last night though. The pitches might have been 103MP leaving his hand, but were doing twice that when they left the park. Cubs nearly snatched a defeat out of the jaws of victory with Lester though....

And Napoli was not liked when he was a Ranger either. He got a huge paycheck and usually only could hit one ball for every 20 times he went to bat. That's why he got traded. And, he is a snail on first. Sort of like Moreland is for the Rangers... Or Fielder for that matter. One announcer said about Fielder (and it fits Napoli) "He cannot hit, clogs the base path when he does, and stinks in the field."

I honestly though the Indians would do it this year... And one good thing for Tribe fans is that they have good bats, great fielding, and an outstanding pitching staff. They won't be gone for long, that's for sure.

CenTexDave
November 3rd, 2016, 11:47 AM
I have nothing against Crisp except his age. Remember where he started his baseball career - in CF for the Indians.
The Cubs had Miller's and Kluber's number also. Those guys, including Chapman, were simply worn out.
Napoli strikes out way too much. He plugged a hole this year. Next year he can find someone else's hole to plug. Maybe Hillary's?? :))

mac
November 3rd, 2016, 12:07 PM
Just because you remember the last time they won it doesn't make you part of the team today. :bluerofl

true dat. that was a royal "we".....my team is the Rangers and they were in their livin' rooms watchin' just like me so it would be hard to root for them.....but in any game 'tween Chicago and Cleveland, any normal man of even minimal intellect would be for the Cubs.....why on earth would anyone in their right everlovin' mind be for Cleveland? That just doesn't make a lick of sense...seriously, though, one player I didn't know squat about till this series was Contraros......I really like him....like him a lot....wish the rangers or astros would pick him up....but i kind of s'pect his stock went up quite a bit here over the last week or so.....in some ways he reminds me of Rose...lots of 'hustle'a but quicker'n greased lightning......mac (besides that, one of my daughters lives in Chicago and they always take us out to a game or two when we're up there....with me wearin' my Ranger cap.....(makes for some interesting looks)

CenTexDave
November 3rd, 2016, 12:31 PM
Guess a few of us Deplorables are then of minimal intellect! :)

mac
November 3rd, 2016, 12:55 PM
Guess a few of us Deplorables are then of minimal intellect! :)

well, somehow, I kinda doubt if very many of us 'deportables' were rootin' for Cleveland....mac (oops, I meant "deplorables"....sorry 'bout that....mac

Rick
November 3rd, 2016, 1:36 PM
well, somehow, I kinda doubt if very many of us 'deportables' were rootin' for Cleveland....mac (oops, I meant "deplorables"....sorry 'bout that....mac
What a Clintonesque thing to say.

When the 9th inning of the 7th game of the World Series was over, it was completely tied. So your scrubs needed an extra inning to complete what you Cubs fans seem to think had already been decided some time before.

You know that your favorite team got lucky.

mac
November 3rd, 2016, 1:44 PM
What a Clintonesque thing to say.

When the 9th inning of the 7th game of the World Series was over, it was completely tied. So your scrubs needed an extra inning to complete what you Cubs fans seem to think had already been decided some time before.

You know that your favorite team got lucky.

No....I really don't know that. I do know, however, what luck is and what creates it.....besides that, of couse, we all know that the cubs had a hell of a task trying to overcome all those pro-Indian calls.....they didn't even really try to hide it too well....seemed like the longer they played the more the umps took off the top of the zone when the Indians were in the box.....ah well, talent will always tell...mac

Ludwig
November 3rd, 2016, 2:02 PM
That rain break did wonders for the Cubs. Admittedly, I was a Cubs fan throughout the series but when the game started last night I told my spouse, who is an avid bb fan, that the Indians would prevail, although at the time of my statement they were trailing. If the rain had not intervened, I still think that the Indians would have taken the pennant.

BTW: I think that the Home Plat Upire was cross-eyed. I have not seen so many bad calls in all my life. Thankfully, the calls were bad for both sides.

I would not want to be in Chicago for the next few days. I can already envision the mayhem form the unwashed.

Night Owl
November 3rd, 2016, 2:18 PM
The death rate in Chitown will increase drastically in the next few months. All those old timers that were hanging on so they could live to see the Cubs win will finally give up.:)

mac
November 3rd, 2016, 2:19 PM
That rain break did wonders for the Cubs. Admittedly, I was a Cubs fan throughout the series but when the game started last night I told my spouse, who is an avid bb fan, that the Indians would prevail, although at the time of my statement they were trailing. If the rain had not intervened, I still think that the Indians would have taken the pennant.

BTW: I think that the Home Plat Upire was cross-eyed. I have not seen so many bad calls in all my life. Thankfully, the calls were bad for both sides.

I would not want to be in Chicago for the next few days. I can already envision the mayhem form the unwashed.

you're right about the mayhem. they've already passed last years record of 580 gun homicides for the year.....a couple of weeks ago.....mac

sojourner truth
November 3rd, 2016, 3:20 PM
5 dead and 27 wounded in Wednesday alone. Most around 20 to 24 years old, with bystanders getting wounded a lot.

But what else can you expect from a democrat run city with the strictest gun laws in the nation?

Rick
November 3rd, 2016, 3:23 PM
No....I really don't know that. I do know, however, what luck is and what creates it.....besides that, of couse, we all know that the cubs had a hell of a task trying to overcome all those pro-Indian calls.....they didn't even really try to hide it too well....seemed like the longer they played the more the umps took off the top of the zone when the Indians were in the box.....ah well, talent will always tell...mac
There were bad calls on both sides. But you Cubs fans keep telling yourselves that.

And don't worry, next season when you start acting like a Ranger's fan, I am going to remind you that you are now a Chicago fan.

CenTexDave
November 3rd, 2016, 3:25 PM
Wrong again, old SeƱor. Rick was for them. Maybe he should block you. 😁

mac
November 3rd, 2016, 3:31 PM
There were bad calls on both sides. But you Cubs fans keep telling yourselves that.

And don't worry, next season when you start acting like a Ranger's fan, I am going to remind you that you are now a Chicago fan.

not really what you'd call a cubs fan.....but i get your meaning......mac

gnatsum
November 3rd, 2016, 6:01 PM
IF the Dr. Demento Show was still on the radio...he's now have to retire this song forever:

A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request
by Steve Goodman
(spoken)
By the shore's of old Lake Michigan
Where the "hawk wind" blows so cold
An old Cub fan lay dying
In his midnight hour that tolled
Round his bed, his friends had all gathered
They knew his time was short
And on his head they put this bright blue cap
From his all-time favorite sport
He told them, "Its late and its getting dark in here"
And I know its time to go
But before I leave the line-up
Boys, there's just one thing I'd like to know

(sung)
Do they still play the blues in Chicago
When baseball season rolls around
When the snow melts away,
Do the Cubbies still play
In their ivy-covered burial ground
When I was a boy they were my pride and joy
But now they only bring fatigue
To the home of the brave
The land of the free
And the doormat of the National League.

(spoken)
Told his friends "You know the law of averages says:
Anything will happen that can"
That's what it says
"But the last time the Cubs won a National League pennant
Was the year we dropped the bomb on Japan"
The Cubs made me a criminal
Sent me down a wayward path
They stole my youth from me
(that's the truth)
I'd forsake my teachers
To go sit in the bleachers
In flagrant truancy

and then one thing led to another
and soon I'd discovered alcohol, gambling, dope
football, hockey, lacrosse, tennis
But what do you expect,
When you raise up a young boy's hopes
And then just crush 'em like so many paper beer cups.

Year after year after year
after year, after year, after year, after year, after year
'Til those hopes are just so much popcorn
for the pigeons beneath the 'L' tracks to eat
He said, "You know I'll never see Wrigley Field, anymore before my eternal rest
So if you have your pencils and your score cards ready,
and I'll read you my last request
He said, "Give me a double header funeral in Wrigley Field
On some sunny weekend day (no lights)
Have the organ play the "National Anthem"
and then a little 'na, na, na, na, hey hey, hey, Goodbye'
Make six bullpen pitchers, carry my coffin
and six ground keepers clear my path
Have the umpires bark me out at every base
In all their holy wrath
Its a beautiful day for a funeral, Hey Ernie lets play two!
Somebody go get Jack Brickhouse to come back,
and conduct just one more interview
Have the Cubbies run right out into the middle of the field,
Have Keith Moreland drop a routine fly
Give everybody two bags of peanuts and a frosty malt
And I'll be ready to die

Build a big fire on home plate out of your Louisville Sluggers baseball bats,
And toss my coffin in
Let my ashes blow in a beautiful snow
From the prevailing 30 mile an hour southwest wind
When my last remains go flying over the left-field wall
Will bid the bleacher bums adieu