PDA

View Full Version : Week 6 Games

stevendub
September 25th, 2016, 2:57 PM
OFF: Ellison (5-0, 1-0)

Thursday game: (9/29)
Belton (2-3, 0-1) @ Killeen (1-3)

Friday games: (9/30)
Midway (3-2, 1-0) @ Harker Heights (4-1, 1-0)

Shoemaker (0-5, 0-1) @ Copperas Cove (2-2, 0-1)

stevendub
September 25th, 2016, 2:59 PM
Now look, I'm not saying they will but man if Heights pulls off the win this Friday..

CenTexDave
September 26th, 2016, 8:58 AM
They won't.

stevendub
September 29th, 2016, 7:58 AM
You're probably right:))

Calpreps predicts the matchups like this: Belton 48 Killeen 17, Midway 28 Heights 22 & Cove 27 Shoemaker 26

CenTexDave
September 29th, 2016, 8:38 AM
It's do or die for both Cove and Shoemaker.

xzochye
September 29th, 2016, 9:51 AM

Your right. It's crazy that it is this early on but this game is probably make it or break it for the playoffs.

SHS has potential. They looked really good playing but they wrote their own ticket with all the penalties.

CenTexDave
September 29th, 2016, 10:15 AM
I haven't seen the Dawgs in person, but everything I've read - not just articles in the KDH - tends me to believe they
do not have potential. As usual, for the past 8 years the defense sucks. Undersized OL. Plenty of speed but more of an
athlete at QB than a QB.
Welch's reign at Cove is about to come tumbling down. :))

stevendub
September 29th, 2016, 11:51 AM

I agree too even though I don't think right now that either team will make it in. I think Belton, Midway, Ellison & Heights have advantages over them & both the Wolves & the Dawgs play 3 of the 4 still. I don't underestimate how big Heights' win over Belton last week was

CenTexDave
September 29th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Read in one of Cove's local papers some reader's comments as to why Cove has fallen off so much.
The reader's opinion, but think about it and it does make some sense - when Cove lost all impact aide
parents of students started worrying about education so moved, and new incoming military families decided
Heights, Killeen, etc might be better.
I do know Cove's student population has not increased much the past two years or so. Even with all the
building of new subdivisions the student population has remained stagnant. That tells me that military
retirees are doing the majority of the buying of new homes. These retirees' kids are probably already out
of the house.
Cove's glory days are long gone unless Welch imports a few 300 lb linemen soon. Might want to hire a new
DC also. When I listen to the radio broadcasts and Welch is interviewed before the game he always states
his DC is the best in the state. Sure, that's why they give up 70+ points to a team in the playoffs. :bluerofl
Of course he says the same thing about his offfensive coordinator who just happens to be his brother, or his
kid who is the QB coach. :))

Ludwig
September 29th, 2016, 4:29 PM
I thought that nepotism was illegal, or at least unethical. I guess not.

sickofpc
September 29th, 2016, 7:55 PM
Dave, how did Cove lose all impact aid parents?...Dave, I know how you feel about Welch, and I don't agree with everything about him, for sure, but...BUT, he has built a program the whole town and school is proud of, from nothing....other schools' Homecoming favorite team to play. Cove was at the bottom when Welch took over....a sure win for opponents. Nobody takes Cove lightly anymore....His talent level will vary, as happens to all schools, but you can bet he will coach his players, spend unbelievable amounts of time doing it, and try to do whatever it takes to have the Dawgs be successful....But then, you know that, Dave...;)

CenTexDave
September 30th, 2016, 7:55 AM
Of course they didn't lose all impact aid parents. I imagine a few might have moved and a few more potential incoming families may have decided to live elsewhere.
I know all about Cove's bad years. Much of it was caused by a bunch of good ole boy networking. I used to work with a guy who graduated from Cove in 1981. He stated it was hard to win
when most of your best players sit on the bench so xx"s kid can play. And others confirmed that.
I agree Welch turned it all around. Until he got here they hadn't been in the playoffs since Eisenhower was in The White House, although a couple of times they had a real good record only to
finish with one loss in district. Back then only the district champ went to the playoffs.
I understand the talent level will vary from year to year to year. I'm just frustrated with his defenses. I know these spread offenses are hard to stop but Cove's D seems to roll over and die.

CenTexDave
September 30th, 2016, 7:56 AM
Belton-56, Killeen-9
WOW

ethelm
September 30th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Belton's-Killeen game was BAD!!! Really impressed with Belton's QB

CenTexDave
October 1st, 2016, 6:21 AM
Heights gave Midway all they could handle last night. Heights has a good team for sure.
Shoemaker does not. Cove crushed them.

xzochye
October 1st, 2016, 11:14 AM
SHS just sucked....but there were several bad calls from the refs too. They did favor Cove. However, even without those bad calls we wouldn't have won.

CenTexDave
October 1st, 2016, 11:52 AM
I notice you always seem to comment on the "bad calls".
Face facts - Shoemaker is piss poor this year. They might beat Killeen.
The team that impressed me last night was Heights - took Midway all the way and almost pulled it off.
Not to worry, XZ, we can comment in November when Shoemaker, Cove and Killeen sit home for the playoffs
and Midway, Heights, Belton and Ellison keep playing.

xzochye
October 1st, 2016, 12:56 PM
I notice you always seem to comment on the "bad calls".
Face facts - Shoemaker is piss poor this year. They might beat Killeen.
The team that impressed me last night was Heights - took Midway all the way and almost pulled it off.
Not to worry, XZ, we can comment in November when Shoemaker, Cove and Killeen sit home for the playoffs
and Midway, Heights, Belton and Ellison keep playing.

Hey, I did say that even without the bad calls we would have lost. BUT with my limited football knowledge if I can tell that a call is bad then it is really bad! :))

CenTexDave
October 1st, 2016, 1:19 PM
High school refs always make several bad calls each game. You just hope it doesn't affect the outcome. I remember several times that it did.

onetime
October 1st, 2016, 7:17 PM
Let me begin by saying I have a bias opinion here as a my friend is the head coach there. They are actually in the hunt often but things go spiraling out of control. It was 14-7 with 6 minutes in the third quarter. A quick score, 3 and out followed by a bad punt snap, followed by a another bad punt snap later led to their demise. There were some questionable calls in the game, the throw in the end zone where the ball pops out and they called it a touchdown. A couple holds here and there, etc etc etc. that's been the story of their season. New staff that's never worked together and the school uniquely different from the other Killeen school in a good way. I've had a chance to watch all the games on video, the offense has struggled all season with an identity but they've only really just not been in a game once this year. Give them some time and support, they are doing good things.

onetime
October 1st, 2016, 7:20 PM
SHS just sucked....but there were several bad calls from the refs too. They did favor Cove. However, even without those bad calls we wouldn't have won.

I was there, THEY picked up the ball on the opening kick off and had 3 holding calls in the first half.
5 total in the first half alone. The offense drove down the field on the first drive and played well enough in tha drive to score. Do not underestimate them just yet.