PDA

View Full Version : Serial # on bullets?

circle_c
September 5th, 2016, 6:47 AM
:?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/09/01/illinois-rep-pushes-serial-numbers-bullets-fight-chicago-gun-violence/

CenTexDave
September 5th, 2016, 7:50 AM
Another brilliant idea by some f__kwad lib.

Dagobert II
September 5th, 2016, 9:38 AM
This is a thoroughly laughable idea that is an obvious attempt to make bullets illegal while doing nothing to make them unavailable. Do libtards ever have ideas that work?

Mestral
September 5th, 2016, 4:39 PM
Another brilliant idea by some f__kwad lib.
Frankly, I think you give her too much credit.

It would be patently unConstitutional, and a grand waste of money,
but then, that would be normal for a Demoncrat.

She is so far LEFT that even the Chicago Pravda criticizes her for being fiscally irresponsible.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-budget-illinois-madigan-rauner-edit-0527-md-20160526-story.html
Editorial: Dishonest promises to Illinois: Meet Michael Madigan's enablers

On the revote Thursday afternoon, 60 lawmakers [out of 118] voted for spending increases for which Illinois has no revenue. They knew the promises inside their 500-page bill could not possibly be fulfilled. They voted for museum funding, state fairground money, high-speed rail, state fairground improvements, a south suburban airport and more.

You'd never guess the state was a deadbeat with a pile of unpaid bills.

The House members who supported Madigan's third consecutive unbalanced budget were:

... Sonya Harper, D-Chicago; ...

Remember those names as you lament this state's financial disaster and the unbalanced budgets that got us here.
She is as far LEFT as LauraA.

sojourner truth
September 5th, 2016, 5:40 PM
She isn't as far left as you might believe... I listened to Chris Wallace interview the other woman running for president last night. She wants to do away with the military altogether. Evidently she thinks the biggest reason we are in debt is because of financing our war veterans health care and recovery.

And that was one of her most conservative ideas. Her answer to ISIS? Just stop sending weapons to the middle east. Right.... Real astute observation. In case she may not have noticed, most of the bad guys are toting Russian weapons and ammo.

Talk about clueless... ANd, she is a blond too.

CenTexDave
September 6th, 2016, 9:18 AM
This one is looney for sure. I doubt she will receive 1% of the vote.

Shotgun Jeremy
September 6th, 2016, 10:24 AM
They've talking about putting serial numbers on bullets since I was in Cali back in 02. We see how far it's gone.

Mestral
September 6th, 2016, 10:42 AM
There was a push to record ammo purchases that went on for several months,
and in some places you still have to buy ammo from an "authorized" dealer.

Frankly there is a big push to get British and Australian style gun control
here in the U.S. and we must never let our guard down, but be ever vigilant
against these enemies of the Constitution, and of God.

ClickaNerd
September 6th, 2016, 10:55 AM
They've talking about putting serial numbers on bullets since I was in Cali back in 02. We see how far it's gone.

Actually, that sounds like a good idea to me as long as manufactures can actually coordinate tracking methods with the ATF and the criminal doesn't engrave the bullet himself.

I am thinking the typical mob hit will be stolen gun with a serial number from their enemy's collection.

Shotgun Jeremy
September 6th, 2016, 10:57 AM
What's to stop a criminal from shaving off the serial numbers before using the ammo?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

ClickaNerd
September 6th, 2016, 11:35 AM
What's to stop a criminal from shaving off the serial numbers before using the ammo?

If you can embed a serial number within the head (inside) the bullet, I think you would have something.

Shotgun Jeremy
September 6th, 2016, 12:31 PM
I'm not too familiar with that type of tech. Would it be cost effective, or would it run 2x-3x the price of a bullet for each embedding? Could you do it small enough to fit on/in a .22 and still be legible?

sojourner truth
September 6th, 2016, 3:13 PM
Well, you would be able to tell what type of bullet it was, but as far as isentifying who fired it would be impossible.

You might be able to trace where it was initially sold, but if it was resold, or the guy that bought it was not the guy who fired it.... It is just plain old stupid liberal gibberish that tries to give some dummy who doesn't realize how criminals get around these sorts of idiotic measures fell a sense of false security.

Oh, gee, won't it be nice to ID the guy who killed you? Really.....

kantwin
September 6th, 2016, 3:19 PM
The idea of microprinting on the firing pin has issues as well.
Someone could easily go to a shooting range, pick up the expended brass, and drop that at a crime scene. Poof. Instant accusation.

Dagobert II
September 6th, 2016, 4:16 PM
When nobody casts their own bullets, weapons parts are no longer interchangeable, weapons can no longer be made at home and military ammunition is not readily available, some of these ideas may amount to something. There's all sorts of ways to make one's own weapons. These are just a few that have shown up in "gun controlled" Australia. There are demonstration videos of how to make these sorts of sub-machine guns on the internet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH76VoI_hsw

Shotgun Jeremy
September 6th, 2016, 4:23 PM
If they pass legislation, then ultimate ammo registration will have to go with it which will then open the gates for gun registration. Serialized ammo simply won't work without registration.

That goes for F2F transactions as well.

mac
September 6th, 2016, 4:32 PM

ballistics....mac

Shotgun Jeremy
September 6th, 2016, 4:34 PM
How so?

sojourner truth
September 6th, 2016, 4:34 PM
Exactly... Which is just about as good as serial numbering bullets would be.

mac
September 6th, 2016, 4:40 PM
Actually, that sounds like a good idea to me as long as manufactures can actually coordinate tracking methods with the ATF and the criminal doesn't engrave the bullet himself.

I am thinking the typical mob hit will be stolen gun with a serial number from their enemy's collection.

i don't have any heartburn with it either as long as they don't make me go back and pull the bullets out that i've already pressed into cartridges.....or as long i don't have to put serial #s on the bullets that I cast myself.....mac

Ludwig
September 6th, 2016, 5:01 PM
Such ideas come from folk who think that steak is manufactured in the grocery meat department... they have never seen a carcass of beef... nor can they envision that steer in the feedlot as something other than a poor mistreated animal.
All we need to do is wear a gun-control ribbon on our lapel and all will be righted.

Mestral
September 7th, 2016, 7:15 AM

This misses the point that the very idea is a step towards a police state,
and that the ATF is a unconstitutional gang of thugs.

CenTexDave
September 7th, 2016, 10:52 AM
No doubt we all think this is undo-able and and a stupid idea.
Therefore, I'm sure the Great State of Kalifornia will adopt it soonest and GOV Moonbeam will have a big photo op signing ceremony. :)

mac
September 7th, 2016, 12:02 PM
This misses the point that the very idea is a step towards a police state,
and that the ATF is a unconstitutional gang of thugs.

well, Mestral, enlighten us (or at least me).....what is the "point I'm missing?". How does it advance a "Police State"..........mac

Mestral
September 8th, 2016, 5:20 AM
Such as scheme won't work unless they can regulate the manufacture of bullets and register their, each and every, sale.
And never forget that registration always, always, always, leads to confiscation.

kantwin
September 8th, 2016, 7:48 AM
And never forget that registration always, always, always, leads to confiscation.

I register my car. No one has confiscated that yet.
I register to vote. No one has confiscated that yet. (that I know of...)
I register for several mailing lists. No one has confiscated that yet.

Mestral
September 8th, 2016, 9:30 AM
I register my car. No one has confiscated that yet.
I register to vote. No one has confiscated that yet. (that I know of...)
I register for several mailing lists. No one has confiscated that yet.
None of those are arms, much less firearms.
None of those, afaik, fire bullets.

None of those has ANY bearing on this discussion. NONE!

mac
September 8th, 2016, 11:44 AM

wow, "always" includes an awful lot without any exceptions.....but laying that aside for the moment can you provide us with one example of that happening in these united States?....mac

gnatsum
September 8th, 2016, 11:58 AM
wow, "always" includes an awful lot without any exceptions.....but laying that aside for the moment can you provide us with one example of that happening in these united States?....mac

It's NOT that it's happening now, but according to some pro-gun activists, including the NRA at critical points in the past, it's that it COULD happen!

There was the scene in the movie 'Red Dawn' (the original with Patrick Swayze, not the remake), in which the invading Cuban military is led by an officer who tells one of his troops to go to the town's gun store, and pull the records of all of the local gunowners--the Cubans planned to go after them first.

Had a friend years ago who refused to participate in the concealed handgun permit process... because that would mean that he would be registered with the state of Texas as a GUN OWNER, and "they" would know where he lived AND what types of guns he had...

mac
September 8th, 2016, 12:28 PM
It's NOT that it's happening now, but according to some pro-gun activists, including the NRA at critical points in the past, it's that it COULD happen!

so the answer, or at least your answer is "no", you can't. oh well, maybe mestral can come up with one, he's the one who i was asking since he's the one who did the posting....mac

kantwin
September 8th, 2016, 12:41 PM
None of those are arms, much less firearms.
None of those, afaik, fire bullets.

None of those has ANY bearing on this discussion. NONE!
Well, you didn't say anything about registering something that fires bullets.
You simply said registration always leads to confiscation.

Dagobert II
September 8th, 2016, 2:40 PM
so the answer, or at least your answer is "no", you can't. oh well, maybe mestral can come up with one, he's the one who i was asking since he's the one who did the posting....mac Consider New York, Connecticut and Louisiana.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxHe3Ruf6GQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaP6LcXPdxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf8trl69kzo

Mestral
September 9th, 2016, 6:35 AM
Yes, actually. Kalifornia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California#Exceptions

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160701/california-governor-signs-draconian-gun-control-package-into-law

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/04/27/ca-democrat-pushes-secret-gun-seizures-based-co-worker-complaints/

The first two amount to a registration scheme, and the third is confiscation.

But generally, the U.S. has resisted such schemes, having learned not to let evil get a foothold,
as it did in Nazi Germany, England, and Australia, among many others.