PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Charter - Alaska

FieryPrincess
August 9th, 2016, 7:04 PM
huh... No Alaska 2016 thread, so I guess I'll just post this separate.

We went on a halibut charter. It was not the best day to go out, and the poor charter captain was having trouble finding good spots. That being said, I caught the biggest one (not very impressive - maybe a 25 pounder...) of the trip. My husband also caught one a little smaller and a couple of black sea bass. Then my son caught a yelloweye rockfish. We had a blast.

We want to go again earlier in the season when the halibut come in larger.

We got on the boat at :4 AM and arrived back at the dock at about 715PM.

And the best part, considering the swells while in the little boat, was that no one vomited.

Ludwig
August 9th, 2016, 7:39 PM
Congrats on the good catch. Just for grins, would you mind telling us what the total cost per pound was? I'm guessing that it's more than we pay for choice ribeye steak here in Texas. :))

mac
August 9th, 2016, 9:23 PM
Congrats on the good catch. Just for grins, would you mind telling us what the total cost per pound was? I'm guessing that it's more than we pay for choice ribeye steak here in Texas. :))

and where were you fishing out of?.,.........mac

sojourner truth
August 9th, 2016, 9:39 PM
We used to do the same thing when I was stationed in Florida...

Had a boat to charter that would take you out on a half day or all day tour... about 60 miles out into the Gulf of Mexico.

I fed a few fish myself on the way out, but once I caught a huge red fish that seemed to impress the boat Captain. But, as usual with all of my fishing expeditions, the wife always caught all the good stuff. I usually hooked a puffer fish or something else that was entirely inedible.

First time I hooked a Flounder, I thought it had been exposed to mutating radiation or something... That is one odd looking fish.:))

sickofpc
August 9th, 2016, 9:58 PM
Lud, it is not the cost per pound that is important. I don't know of many people with boats that make up their costs with their catches. ..It is the experience, the fun, the beauty, the excitement, ..the whole experience of fishing that makes the cost worth it. ...The same could be said for hunting, whether it be for deer, quail, duck, whatever....

mac
August 9th, 2016, 11:31 PM
First time I hooked a Flounder, I thought it had been exposed to mutating radiation or something... That is one odd looking fish

did you know, sojourner, that halibut and flounder are born with one eye on each side of the head and that they swim straight up like a salmon for a while.....and then later on one of the eyes migrates to where it winds up and the fish become flat fish......mac

FieryPrincess
August 10th, 2016, 1:16 AM
We brought back $536 worth of edible fish at current market prices.

Had that been our only concern, we lost that round of what passes for Vegas in Alaska.

As it was, it was our little summer vacation in one of our favorite places. And I got spend all day on a boat. I'd have spent the charter funds for that alone.

We left out of Valdez (in the Prince William Sound), but we did our fishing in the Gulf of Alaska. The Halibut came up from about 170 feet. They look funny too.

Also saw a whale, seals, sea otters, and some gorgeous rainbows going out. The views are always beyond compare in that part of the world

Ludwig
August 10th, 2016, 7:41 AM

Had that been our only concern, we lost that round of what passes for Vegas in Alaska.

As it was, it was our little summer vacation in one of our favorite places. And I got spend all day on a boat. I'd have spent the charter funds for that alone.

We left out of Valdez (in the Prince William Sound), but we did our fishing in the Gulf of Alaska. The Halibut came up from about 170 feet. They look funny too.

Also saw a whale, seals, sea otters, and some gorgeous rainbows going out. The views are always beyond compare in that part of the worldI can totally relate to this. I guess I was confused because your initially posted only about the great catch. I'm glad that you had a joyful mini-vacation and I pray that the rest of life brings you as much joy.

fchafey
August 10th, 2016, 9:13 AM

Also saw a whale, seals, sea otters, and some gorgeous rainbows going out. The views are always beyond compare in that part of the world

Glad you had a blast and I bet the trip really cleaned your head. That kind of stuff is priceless.

sojourner truth
August 10th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Like the commercial says... Fish taken...$536... Vacationing off the Alaska coast on a fishing tour... priceless..