PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Local Golf Courses

cnjbond
April 22nd, 2016, 6:37 PM
Just curious to see what your local favorite golf courses are around here (Killeen, FT Hood, Cove, Temple & Salado). I've only played at Hood and Cove, and between the two, I DEFINITELY prefer the Courses at Clear Creek!

My golf game is terrible so I need wide open fairways or at least have the sides open enough to find most of my balls. Cove's fairways are fairly narrow and your balls a goner if it gets into the trees off to the left and right of most fairways. I wouldn't mind going back to play at Cove but my golf game will have to improve quite a bit before that happens.

Anyone else have a preference?

sickofpc
April 22nd, 2016, 7:00 PM
Hummm, ...cnj, to me, Cove is the easiest course around. I really like it...Sammons is a fun course to play......If you want the wide open spaces..take a short drive to Moody. It is wiiiide open (resembling a cow pasture);).....A little tip to help you hit it straighter while you are learning, perhaps...take one more club than you think you need, and don't try to hit it so hard...just a nice, smoothe swing.

CenTexDave
April 23rd, 2016, 8:16 AM
Cove has a golf course??
Oh, that's right. That thing that the city keeps dumping money into, that can't support itself. :)

kantwin
April 23rd, 2016, 10:27 AM
A friend of mine said there are 3 keys to a good golf shot - keep your head down, keep your damn head down, and keep your goddamn head down.
He also said that if you don't keep your head down, you'll never look up to see a good golf shot.

sickofpc
April 23rd, 2016, 11:35 PM
cnj, if you are in the market for some more clubs, (to help you hit it straighter, better;)) I have an extra set of custom clubs,... graphite shafts, extra length, with oversized grips..that I would make you a good deal on....

kantwin
April 24th, 2016, 9:52 AM
cnj, if you are in the market for some more clubs, (to help you hit it straighter, better;)) I have an extra set of custom clubs,... graphite shafts, extra length, with oversized grips..that I would make you a good deal on....
Lemme guess - they are not yours.

sickofpc
April 24th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Yes, they are mine...as well as another full set of clubs and several individual clubs...drivers, wedges, and putters.

cnjbond
April 25th, 2016, 9:53 AM

Thanks for the offer but I'm still in the early stages of trying to find consistency in my game (and probably developing bad habits in the process). Right now I'm all over the place with alignment, ball strike, posture (getting a little better) and hand grip. Once I'm pretty consistent in those areas, whether good or bad, I'll go to a shop and do the swing analysis and fitting.

CenTexDave
April 25th, 2016, 10:14 AM
Haven't played at Cove's course in 20 years so decided to give it a try yesterday.
Yep - I've still got it. Shot a 82!!
But the back 9 was a disaster - shot a 94!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):))

Night Owl
April 25th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the offer but I'm still in the early stages of trying to find consistency in my game (and probably developing bad habits in the process). Right now I'm all over the place with alignment, ball strike, posture (getting a little better) and hand grip. Once I'm pretty consistent in those areas, whether good or bad, I'll go to a shop and do the swing analysis and fitting.
The key is to grip the club like you are holding a bird. Just tight enough to keep the bird from getting loose. The tighter the grip the more control you lose. Golf pro at Ft Leavenworth taught me the best grip. I was trying to kill my poor club. :))

sickofpc
April 25th, 2016, 12:06 PM
cnj, if you are serious about playing and getting better, read some of the golf magazines. They usually have little tips that can be very helpful. If you have someone you know that is pretty good, try to play with them if you can,... that usually helps your game, also.

fchafey
April 25th, 2016, 12:40 PM
The best way to get better is to hit balls, hit balls, hit balls. If you are serious, take lessons as well. Before I had the privilege to work for Mr. Antunes at the the golf course, I took a shag bag to Korea when 6th CAV left the building and hit four bags every night, had a putting green in my room too. It all helped. Being Greg's assistant helped even more. Having worked at Killeen and volunteered at Clear Creek, I would put Clear Creek above Killeen in that people just seem to show up and play a few holes in the middle of the course and leave, that has been going on for years and tough to stop and playing behind the Asian Nation isn't any fun either at Killeen. As for get away courses that are pretty tame and cheap, I like Lampassas. My absolute favorite is Shadow Glen in Manor, but that is far from local.

cnjbond
April 25th, 2016, 1:34 PM
I was able to take about a months worth of lessons from one of the pros at Clear Creek and they helped me out TREMENDOUSLY!!! Now I try to go to the range in Nolanville at least twice a week and I also practice just my swing with a 6 iron in the house. I can definitely tell when I've gotten a lot of range time in because I usually play a lot better on the course but I can also tell when I haven't been to the range enough!!

I subscribe to a couple of instructors that post on YouTube and I watch the golf channel religiously, I've gotten some really good tips from them!

I appreciate all the tips fellas, keep 'em coming!

fchafey
April 25th, 2016, 1:38 PM
If you have an old heavy curtain, say from the sliding back door to the house, you can hang that about 2 feet from the garage wall and hit 6 irons into it all day long. Flopping wedges from the rug onto the sofa is fun too.

kantwin
April 25th, 2016, 3:39 PM
Flopping wedges from the rug onto the sofa is fun too.
I saw some neighbor kids do that flopping wedge thing onto the sofa when they got their butts beat with a spatula for swearing to their mother.

curmudgeon
April 25th, 2016, 4:32 PM
The course in Cove is a disaster! Half of the holes are in poor shape and a couple of them on the back nine are unfair holes due to trees, maintenance, and grass issues. I've vowed to never play there again.

Sammon's is OK. But if the course is busy it's tough. The one corner of the course has two greens and three tee boxes in about a half acre area and it can be dangerous/frustrating. Balls flying at you when you are teeing off or chipping/putting. Or loud people disrupting your focus.

Stonetree in Killeen is difficult on some holes, but generally it's well kept. But the clientele can be jerks. Large slow groups that won't let people play through. Young GI's that will hit it into you frequently. Service isn't very good. The marshals don't do much but they can be rude. The starters can be snotty as well.

If you can get a deal, the course in Salado is in good shape again and getting better every day. But it's pretty expensive.

I really enjoy playing Lampasas. Its real laid back and in the trees, so even in the summer there is plenty of shade. Although the tiny, turtle-backed greens will give you indigestion if you are not careful.

I'll go to Moody if I haven't played in a while to get the kinks out in lieu of going to the driving range. But it is a pasture.

Twin Rivers in between Waco and McGregor is terrific for the money. As is Delaware Springs in Burnet. They are both a drive, but worth the trip.

kantwin
April 25th, 2016, 6:50 PM
Silver Wings at Ft Rucker has a pretty good 27 holes, from what I understand, now that the unexploded ordinance has been removed from hole 8 on the blue course.
But, I haven't played there since I got here in 2009.

sickofpc
April 25th, 2016, 7:42 PM
Delaware Springs in Burnet is a fun course..you will see a lot of deer along the way...and Forest Creek in Round Rock is beautiful..usually in great condition...but, a little pricey,unless you can find a coupon somewhere...Haven't played Cove in a while..hate to hear that it is in poor shape. As far as Stonetree goes, have not enjoyed that course since they changed the layout...One of the most fun courses I have ever played is Brackenridge, in San Antonio. Love that course...short, scenic, fun... Personally, I don't like Lampasas, but everybody's taste is different...

cnjbond
April 25th, 2016, 9:21 PM
The course in Cove is a disaster! Half of the holes are in poor shape and a couple of them on the back nine are unfair holes due to trees, maintenance, and grass issues. I've vowed to never play there again.

I played this past Friday on the Cove course and the mowers were still trying to get it ready for the weekend crowd so the fairways and greens were a little rough. I don't mind playing out of the trees but it's near impossible to do that on this course because the undergrowth isn't maintained that well (at least not when I played the course).

cnjbond
May 6th, 2016, 8:03 PM
Well, I went back to Cove (Clear Creek had another tournament going on) and actually had a pretty decent round this time. I went a little later in the day so everything was already mowed and best of all, there weren't that many golfers out there.

I took some of the advice on here and dropped nearly 20 strokes from my previous round (I also left my driver at home and just used my 3 wood which worked MUCH better)!

sickofpc
May 7th, 2016, 7:36 AM
One more thing that might help your score a lot...rather than use a wedge when just off the green,... if possible, use the Texas wedge...a 7 iron or 5 iron to chip and run the ball to the hole. Much easier to hit, and you won't chunk it, or blade it. To me hitting a very short wedge around the green is the hardest shot for me to hit. Think Texas wedge.

curmudgeon
May 7th, 2016, 6:34 PM
Especially around here when it gets hot and dry. Also you can roll a 7 iron onto the green from 30 yards easier than pitching it on.

sickofpc
May 7th, 2016, 7:27 PM
cnj, one more thing, probably very important for you if you are just really starting to play. Do not be afraid to take a divot with your irons. You should be hitting down on the ball with every iron, think slightly behind it,...not sweeping it. Don't let a little sod from a divot worry you. You should be making some divots...

Sped1
May 8th, 2016, 8:27 AM
I play on Ft. Hood at Clear Creek. I like the course but I don't use a cart. 9 holes is about all I can manage between walking the hills and pushing my golf clubs. I enjoy it quite a bit but I am not a great golfer. I usually get a 5 on a par 3, 6 on a par 4, and so on. Clear Creek is a much nicer course than many I play in California when I visit my son. I am very happy going there.

cnjbond
May 8th, 2016, 4:09 PM
cnj, one more thing, probably very important for you if you are just really starting to play. Do not be afraid to take a divot with your irons. You should be hitting down on the ball with every iron, think slightly behind it,...not sweeping it. Don't let a little sod from a divot worry you. You should be making some divots...

Oh trust me, I get excited when I create a divot...unfortunately, most of the time it's TOO far behind the ball! :)

Amen on the pitching and lob wedges, those things are will make a Preacher curse!!! I'll have to try using the short irons next time when I'm close to the green and see if that works any better for me.

fchafey
May 8th, 2016, 5:20 PM
The divot is the "bit of sod" created by the down swing of the gold club, that flies, most hopefully straight. The sand/soil/seed mixture on the side of your cart, should you be playing at a place that provides one, or the mixture in 90 necked bottle in the teeing area of a typical par 3 is what you put in the cut created in the ground where the divot originated. When it comes to golf, I am afraid I would make Mac and his ax, look careless and sloppy. Sorry for that, I had a real strict teacher. :)

Night Owl
May 8th, 2016, 5:29 PM
Oh trust me, I get excited when I create a divot...unfortunately, most of the time it's TOO far behind the ball! :)

Amen on the pitching and lob wedges, those things are will make a Preacher curse!!! I'll have to try using the short irons next time when I'm close to the green and see if that works any better for me.
Try using your driver or 3 wood around the green. Hit hard enough to get the ball to land on the green and then it rolls like a putt. Works great especially during the summer when the ground is hard as a rock.

Ludwig
May 8th, 2016, 8:08 PM
When a ball is properly struck by an iron, then there will always be a divot, ideally just forward of where the ball had rested.

curmudgeon
May 29th, 2016, 2:31 PM
Early in May, I won a green fee and cart at Copperas Cove golf course. Finally decided to go yesterday.

First thing I noticed was that my friends had to pay $37 to play. I was shocked at the price because I remember playing here a few years ago and the weekend rates were $20.

The front 9 greens were in rough shape. Every green except #9 had grass missing. Many had sections of the green closed off as they were trying to grow grass. On the back nine 3 holes had temporary greens! Several had patches of freshly laid sod intermingled with the normal pressed greens.

I was appalled that they charged $37 for a course in this shape. Once again, I will never go back to this course!

mac
May 29th, 2016, 3:02 PM
When a ball is properly struck by an iron, then there will always be a divot, ideally just forward of where the ball had rested.

I don't know nothing 'bout Golf but.....Tiger Woods doesn't properly "strike" the ball with an iron?........mac

sickofpc
May 30th, 2016, 1:57 PM
cnj, hope you are enjoying this weather and getting to play a lot. If you can try to hit a few balls a day, or every other day, even if just chipping in your back yard,...you will be surprised how quickly that you will improve. Once you feel comfortable and confident over the ball, you will be on your way to really enjoying the game.

cnjbond
May 30th, 2016, 5:09 PM
cnj, hope you are enjoying this weather and getting to play a lot. If you can try to hit a few balls a day, or every other day, even if just chipping in your back yard,...you will be surprised how quickly that you will improve. Once you feel comfortable and confident over the ball, you will be on your way to really enjoying the game.

I was actually gonna try and go out this morning but the rain changed my plans so I just went to range. I try to go to the range at least once or twice a week and I also practice my swing inside on the carpet with my 6 iron...hopefully I can catch a good sale on practice nets to put up in the backyard!

sickofpc
May 30th, 2016, 9:53 PM
:-)Sounds like you are getting better;) ....You might also get some plastic wiffle golf balls to hit in your back yard, also...They actually help by showing what kind of spin you are putting on the ball, what kind of contact you are making, but not traveling very far.

EricInDenver
July 25th, 2016, 1:05 PM
Moving to the area (Killeen) this fall and was wondering how many course are there and what are typical range fees? Are the courses usually pretty busy (ie hard to get on)? Thanks in advance

Night Owl
July 25th, 2016, 3:49 PM
Welcome to the forum Eric and an early welcome to Central Texas. Military?

There are quite a few courses in the area. Ft Hood has a 27 hole course and is normally in good shape but can be difficult to get on on the weekends and early mornings. Bunch of retirees have standing tees times.

Killeen has a course that is pretty good. Lots of open area on most holes.

copperss Cove also has a course that is decent and short. Has some holes that are tight and a wayward drive will cost you a ball or two or three. Lol

Prices are reasonable and should cost less than $50 for fees and cart.

we are close to many other courses in the surrounding area. Austin, Round Rock, Waco have many courses but fees are higher than here.

Hope that helps.

EricInDenver
July 26th, 2016, 3:34 PM
Thank you for the welcome. No, not military, but the move will be job related. Thanks for all of the great info on the courses. Although I am a "hack" golfer, I do find something very therapeutic on hitting the heck out of a golf ball.

Night Owl
July 26th, 2016, 7:30 PM
Thank you for the welcome. No, not military, but the move will be job related. Thanks for all of the great info on the courses. Although I am a "hack" golfer, I do find something very therapeutic on hitting the heck out of a golf ball.
Just be ready for the 100 degree weather and that's on a cool day.:))

Heard through the rumor mill that the Devil came to Killeen looking for Dag and j2c and left for hell after the sun came up saying he had to go cool off.

cnjbond
July 26th, 2016, 7:42 PM

I'm a hacker as well but it makes it all worth while for that one GREAT shot that makes you forget about the 50 terrible ones you hit! :)