PDA

View Full Version : Cat allergies

xzochye
June 11th, 2009, 2:20 PM
I have a 2 year old cat that has no problems here at home. However, we go to Kansas one or twice a year and after a couple of days there he becomes lethargic and has a fever. This has happened all 3 times we have taken him there. The vet up there will give him a shot and then an antibiotic. Within a few hours he is back to normal. Is there anything I can do in advance of this trip to prevent him from becoming sick on our trip there next month? I know that unlike dogs you are not supposed to give cats most "human" over the counter meds.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
June 11th, 2009, 4:35 PM
Thanks for the very interesting question and you are correct about OTC meds and cats. As for your cat, we do actually have a syndrome that is recognized in cats known as fever of unkown origin (go ahead, laugh, I do). We are not certain as to what actually sets these cats off or what really causes the problem but a latent viral infection that activates during times of stress has been theorized. Many cats will recover from these episodes without any treatment and often I'm not certain as to whether the cat improved because of my treatment or in spite of my treatment. But we do know that febrile cats do not eat well and cats DO NOT TOLERATE anorexia very well. Their liver reacts in a very bad fashion and often inappetant cats develop serious liver issues. Therefore, we want to get these cats feeling better fast and get them eating. I don't think that there is anything I could recommend to treat your cat with prior to travel to help prevent these episodes except for anything that might reduce the stress of travel. Good luck, safe travels and thanks for the question.