PDA

View Full Version : Ellison vs. Shoemaker

stevendub
September 27th, 2015, 8:53 PM
Thursday Oct. 1 7:00 PM

(Away) Ellison (5-0, 1-0) vs. (Home) Shoemaker (4-1, 1-0) also on 91.3 FM

CenTexDave
September 28th, 2015, 9:36 AM
Key district game. Think Shoemaker wins it.

sojourner truth
September 28th, 2015, 3:25 PM
Unfortunately, I agree. As much as I hope for an Ellison win, I am very much obliged to believe that they have met a team that would be hard to beat right now.

But still, hope springs eternal in the Eagles fans breast... Got tickets for the game Thursday night, and I hope to leave with a smile on my face. I mean, other than from having enjoyed the Frito pie and Chili dogs, that is.

stevendub
September 28th, 2015, 4:10 PM
2 downtrodden programs just 3-4 years back. Good that both have clearly turned things around.

xzochye
September 29th, 2015, 8:03 AM
This is what I have been saying about Cove and Midway for years. Enjoy it while it lasts because no team stays on the top or bottom forever.

CenTexDave
September 29th, 2015, 8:18 AM
I saw this coming for Cove about 4 years ago. The talent has dried up.
Johnny Tusa, former coach at Waco HS, and Bob McQueen at Temple also saw it happening.
They retired. :)

fchafey
September 29th, 2015, 8:25 AM
Maybe Cove will only have enough students next year to be one lower class down and that should help, oh wait they tried that.....

CenTexDave
September 29th, 2015, 9:30 AM
Don't know if they'll drop down to 5-A or not. They are one of the smallest 6-A schools in the state, and the smallest in our district.
Doubt it would make much difference. The talent is just not there anymore. At least not enough of it to cover both sides of the ball.

johnwc
September 29th, 2015, 9:38 AM
Anyone else think that the emergence and success of Coach Hall at Shoemaker has dried up Cove's Fort Hood pipeline ? And by that I mean kids that live on Hood in housing but select to go to Cove with a district transfer.

xzochye
September 29th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Coach Hall is really a great guy. He really expects a lot of his players. Both on the field and off. Have you ever seen him on the field? He gets heated if he feels that a call is wrong. I have seen him act the same way towards a student/player that disrespected a teacher. He is good for the school and program in many ways.

CenTexDave
September 29th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Anyone else think that the emergence and success of Coach Hall at Shoemaker has dried up Cove's Fort Hood pipeline ? And by that I mean kids that live on Hood in housing but select to go to Cove with a district transfer.

Might be a possibility, but I think it's just people and families moving away. Fort Hood has cuts and people move.
New housing areas in Cove, but mostly real young families. Maybe in 5-8 years those little kids will be Dawgs, but not now.
And I've discussed this before - GET A DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gramps
September 29th, 2015, 1:33 PM
I don't think that has any bearing on Cove's problems. IIRC, the last time KISD redid HS zoning, all areas north of 190 were zoned to KHS. Shoemaker, Ellison and HHHS were all south of 190 with zone boundaries running roughly north and south. With that zoning, nearly all students in Ft Hood housing would be headed to KHS.

CenTexDave
September 29th, 2015, 3:05 PM
Yeah, I agree.
Cove's problems are more than the Shoemaker pipeline drying up. Don't want to say much more, but many players are fed up with Welch and his staff.

fchafey
September 29th, 2015, 3:07 PM
Yea, but they sure wanted to Knight him when he first got to Cove......

CenTexDave
September 29th, 2015, 3:46 PM
Took him 4 years to get Cove into the playoffs. Not bad, considering they last time they made it before that was when Eisenhower was president. :)

beaver
September 29th, 2015, 6:56 PM
Took him 4 years to get Cove into the playoffs. Not bad, considering they last time they made it before that was when Eisenhower was president. :) I believe they went 8-2 under Coach Tim Edwards in 1985 or 86.

sojourner truth
September 29th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Well, I'm getting a bit tired of discussing this Ellison game now... Time for bed.

CenTexDave
September 30th, 2015, 9:48 AM
I believe they went 8-2 under Coach Tim Edwards in 1985 or 86.

They may have, don't recall. If they did, though, it didn't get them in the playoffs.
I do remember reading about one year they went 9-1, only loss was to Killeen, and still didn't make the playoffs. Back then
only the district champ went to the playoffs.

JohnKilleen
September 30th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Nice to see Ellison and Shoemaker winning games. Shoemaker always seemed to have loads of talent, just couldnt win. I understand it is just a sport, but I do wish the glory days oif KISD football would come back. We need to build the programs at all 4 high schools.

Agent X
September 30th, 2015, 12:50 PM
I predict Shoemaker hands Ellison their first loss this Thursday. Could be tough sledding for the Eagles from here on out.

The future could be pretty good for Killeen, Shoemaker and Ellison. The Roos have several sophomores on varsity playing quite a bit and have some nice JV players and some really nice freshman players with a new and extremely motivated coaching staff. Additionally, Shoemaker has a strong pipeline of athletes for years to come and a really good coach while Ellison's program is learning how to win. As for Harker Heights, I think they will continue to under achieve under their current regime. It just doesn't seem to fit, IMO.

As for this year, I predict Shoemaker, Midway, Belton and Killeen make the playoffs.

sojourner truth
September 30th, 2015, 3:51 PM
Sad, but probably true...

About the biggest factor that may make that not happen is Ellisons attitude when down and out. For some reason, this team this year does not know the word Quit... Ergo their double overtime win a few weeks back.

Nice to see them with a positive attitude. Even if they don't win one more game this year, which I think highly unlikely, this will be known as the season they came back.

Agent X
September 30th, 2015, 4:21 PM
Sad, but probably true...

About the biggest factor that may make that not happen is Ellisons attitude when down and out. For some reason, this team this year does not know the word Quit... Ergo their double overtime win a few weeks back.

Nice to see them with a positive attitude. Even if they don't win one more game this year, which I think highly unlikely, this will be known as the season they came back.

I agree and I hope I'm wrong. This bunch of Eagles has some fight and some attitude. It's been awhile.

stevendub
September 30th, 2015, 9:34 PM
Honestly the Eagles can lose this game and still be OK.

If they're serious about making the playoffs (they are), the Copperas Cove game next week and the Killeen game (I believe it's the week after that) are the ones they need to win. That'll give em 3 wins, and I think 3 is what will get you in for this district. Those are the teams that look like they're in that mix for the last spot right now.

xzochye
October 1st, 2015, 8:00 PM
31 seconds left in 1st half and it's 10-0 SHS

xzochye
October 1st, 2015, 8:29 PM
13-0 half

xzochye
October 1st, 2015, 9:23 PM
Now we have a game. 20-14 8:12 left in game

sojourner truth
October 1st, 2015, 10:25 PM
Well, they finally got the idea to quit throwing laterals and short passes in the 3rd quarter, and got back on track. It wasn't enough, and their offense was terrible the entire first 3 quarters.

It was almost like watching a whole different team tonight. At least for the first 3/4 game. No run, no defense, and very unimaginative offense altogether. And for some reason the fire in the belly just wasn't there either. You could see it in the way they moved around on the sidelines... Lots of anger and frustration/

And, the refs simply ignored all of the pass interference going on with Shoemakers defensive backs. There was a ton of it going on too. But, it is what it is. Ellisons coach got extremely abusive when the Eagles cleanly intercepted a pass, and then it got called as being incomplete... I watched it at the 50 yard line, and it was a clean catch... Some really bad calls and some bad breaks...

Whup 'em next week though...

JohnKilleen
October 2nd, 2015, 1:18 AM
Congrats to Shoemaker and to Ellison. Its great to see two teams that were so down a few years ago play like this. Ellison is on the road to good things. They came back and didn't give up. Very different from the teams of a few years back. I hope they boh make the playoffs (would love to see my Roos make them, but I don't think that's in the cards this year).

Rick
October 2nd, 2015, 11:03 AM
So what was up with the coin toss handshake...or lack of a coin toss handshake?

sojourner truth
October 2nd, 2015, 12:31 PM
I didnnt see any problem there. There was a mixup when it was time to exchange gifts prior to the game and the Shoemaker student reps were AWOL... They finally showed up and all went well after that. Guess they got lost in the parking lot or something.

Well, at least until the game got lost by the Eagles, that is.

And there were more cars there than any other game I have ever been to. Chili cheese dogs smothered in Jalapenos were pretty tasty too.

Ludwig
October 2nd, 2015, 12:38 PM
... Chili cheese dogs smothered in Jalapenos were pretty tasty too.How would you know they're "tasty" when your taste-buds are burned off with the Jalapenos? :)

Rick
October 2nd, 2015, 12:42 PM
I didnnt see any problem there. There was a mixup when it was time to exchange gifts prior to the game and the Shoemaker student reps were AWOL... They finally showed up and all went well after that. Guess they got lost in the parking lot or something.

Well, at least until the game got lost by the Eagles, that is.

And there were more cars there than any other game I have ever been to. Chili cheese dogs smothered in Jalapenos were pretty tasty too.

Ed Sorensen on KWTX showed it last night.

http://www.kwtx.com/sports/home

Scroll down to see the highlights of the game.

stevendub
October 2nd, 2015, 1:17 PM
I figured it wasn't a big deal. Now that Killeen-Shoemaker stuff from last year, yeah there was something to that. But a lot of these guys dapped up after the game so it was all good..you gotta think a lot of these kids (in particular) know each other & probably went to middle school with each other.

sojourner truth
October 2nd, 2015, 5:52 PM
Well, however it was meant it is water under the bridge, and we now look forward to next weeks game.

The thing that peeved me the most about the game was the interception that was called an incomplete pass that even Ray Charles could have spotted. That, and the fact that the Wolves were not called on the many number of pass interferences they made, or the holds that gave their QB the huge holes up the middle of the line...

But complaining about it doesn't change the score and sounds like sour grapes... It is what it is, as I said.

johnwc
October 4th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Don't insult Ray Charles. Questionable refereeing in this district is the norm. There were plenty of questionable calls that went the Eagles way in the Heights game... multiple full arm extension push offs by your receivers on some big plays, an intentional grounding call late on Heights in the 4th quarter when after recovering a botched snap the QB threw a pass over the head of a Heights receiver...... Heck they even got called for a lineman downfield on a pass play after the completion was made and the kid sprinted 15 yards downfield to make a block.

Sometimes you play against 11, sometimes 16.

CenTexDave
October 4th, 2015, 10:28 AM
It does no good complaining about the officiating. These officials are usually from the Temple chapter. They are blind as bats.

xzochye
October 4th, 2015, 12:27 PM
In each game SHS has played so far I have seen bad calls that have benefited/hurt each team. I will say that the calls do seem to be happening with less frequency this year than in the past and they do seem to be less one sided.

CenTexDave
October 4th, 2015, 2:50 PM
Watch out for Cove now. They won a game and are on the warpath. :))

sojourner truth
October 4th, 2015, 3:15 PM
Don't insult Ray Charles. Questionable refereeing in this district is the norm. There were plenty of questionable calls that went the Eagles way in the Heights game... multiple full arm extension push offs by your receivers on some big plays, an intentional grounding call late on Heights in the 4th quarter when after recovering a botched snap the QB threw a pass over the head of a Heights receiver...... Heck they even got called for a lineman downfield on a pass play after the completion was made and the kid sprinted 15 yards downfield to make a block.

Sometimes you play against 11, sometimes 16.

Perhaps you missed my comment about it is what it is, and no gain to be made by whining about it....

After all, it's just a game. Well... Except maybe in Texas.