PDA

View Full Version : Summer Olympics 2016 in Rio

siamcat
July 30th, 2015, 5:52 PM
If it was me, I wouldn't dare to compete in any fresh water sports.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ap-investigation-rios-olympic-water-rife-with-sewage-virus/ar-AAdH2H0?ocid=ansnewsap11

Just a short excerpt.

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) -- Athletes in next year's Summer Olympics here will be swimming and boating in waters so contaminated with human feces that they risk becoming violently ill and unable to compete in the games, an Associated Press investigation has found.An AP analysis of water quality revealed dangerously high levels of viruses and bacteria from human sewage in Olympic and Paralympic venues -- results that alarmed international experts and dismayed competitors training in Rio, some of whom have already fallen ill with fevers, vomiting and diarrhea.
It is the first independent comprehensive testing for both viruses and bacteria at the Olympic sites.
Brazilian officials have assured that the water will be safe for the Olympic athletes and the medical director of the International Olympic Committee said all was on track for providing safe competing venues. But neither the government nor the IOC tests for viruses, relying on bacteria testing only.
Extreme water pollution is common in Brazil, where the majority of sewage is not treated. Raw waste runs through open-air ditches to streams and rivers that feed the Olympic water sites.
As a result, Olympic athletes are almost certain to come into contact with disease-causing viruses that in some tests measured up to 1.7 million times the level of what would be considered hazardous on a Southern California beach.

birdfriend
July 30th, 2015, 6:06 PM
Disgusting! Why didn't they take this into consideration when they awarded Rio the summer games? Glad I live in the United States!

mac
July 30th, 2015, 6:17 PM
The day is coming when no country or city will even try to get the olympic games. We had no American City trying to get this one. Baltimore or Boston, forget which one, initially tried to get this one but withdrew their application......mac

siamcat
July 30th, 2015, 6:18 PM
According to the article, Rio promised to clean it up. The IOC is so corrupt when awarding it to a city. They swear it's safe for our athletes.

It's no wonder many cities and countries bow out of being selected. Huge costs and while prestigious not worth it. I would advocate giving it to cities that have already hosted Olympics. They just need to spruce the existing venues up a bit.

siamcat
July 30th, 2015, 6:19 PM
The day is coming when no country or city will even try to get the olympic games. We had no American City trying to get this one. Baltimore or Boston, forget which one, initially tried to get this one but withdrew their application......mac

It was Boston and I believe it was for the next one in 2020.

CenTexDave
July 30th, 2015, 7:03 PM
Now the IOC is looking at LA to replace Boston. The US needs to tell the IOC no thanks.

fchafey
July 31st, 2015, 8:17 AM
The city of boston decided to not make is taxpayers foot the bill for gettting the city ready for the olympics and withdrew thier application. Smart move. The olympics is a joke, especially when the main draw in the summer olympics has been womens beach volleyball for the last 3 olympics. Noone watches until then, go figure.

CenTexDave
July 31st, 2015, 9:53 AM
I watch whatever interests me - gymnastics, track, basketball, soccer (women's :)), swimming, and more. Softball needs to be reinstalled.

Imagine
July 31st, 2015, 10:06 AM
I used to enjoy watching the Olympics and dream of how terrific it must be to be that athletically gifted, but I haven't really enjoyed them much for some time. The Olympics has lost its idealism and now is primarily politically, moneytarily [if that's even a word, which I doubt] commercially, semi-professional, "let's see how much money we can get" motivated.

Night Owl
July 31st, 2015, 10:42 AM
The IOC needs to build a complex where the games are held every two years. They have enough money and the politics would be out of it. They also need to go back to the initial intent of the games. I watch some of the games but not much. To much under the table dealings and if they don't do something the games will cease to exist.

Mestral
July 31st, 2015, 12:03 PM
If it was me, I wouldn't dare to compete in any fresh water sports.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ap-investigation-rios-olympic-water-rife-with-sewage-virus/ar-AAdH2H0?ocid=ansnewsap11
Just a short excerpt.Sorry, but all I could think of when I read this is: gives a whole different meaning to 'blame it on Rio.'

SamBrown
July 31st, 2015, 4:03 PM
I also read an article in it in USA Today. They are having some competitions starting this weekend and some next week in the named locations ..... swimming, canoeing etc.. The article also stated that athletes who have had activities in these locations have been suffering from fevers, diarrhea, and other filth-related afflictions.
How exactly is Rio planning on "cleaning this mess up"??? Sanitizing the entire city/locations? From what I gathered, the sewer system there is still way behind the curve, with raw sewage running in open channels in many places and then emptying into bodies of water.=;

siamcat
July 31st, 2015, 4:55 PM
I used to enjoy watching the Olympics and dream of how terrific it must be to be that athletically gifted, but I haven't really enjoyed them much for some time. The Olympics has lost its idealism and now is primarily politically, moneytarily [if that's even a word, which I doubt] commercially, semi-professional, "let's see how much money we can get" motivated.

I still enjoy watching. Love the opening ceremonies and the lone athlete from some country proudly marching alone with his/her flag still makes me cry. I root for the under dog and Americans.

You're right it's not the same anymore and the IOC fosters too much corruption and the judged events are always biased. I wish they would clean it up again.

siamcat
July 31st, 2015, 4:56 PM
I also read an article in it in USA Today. They are having some competitions starting this weekend and some next week in the named locations ..... swimming, canoeing etc.. The article also stated that athletes who have had activities in these locations have been suffering from fevers, diarrhea, and other filth-related afflictions.
How exactly is Rio planning on "cleaning this mess up"??? Sanitizing the entire city/locations? From what I gathered, the sewer system there is still way behind the curve, with raw sewage running in open channels in many places and then emptying into bodies of water.=;

They're not. Even if the magically updated their sewage system overnight; some of those viruses live on for years.

sojourner truth
July 31st, 2015, 7:01 PM
Looks like the winter Olympics was given to the Chinese too... Again. Just what we need... let all the folks soak up some good old Beijing smog before hitting the slopes.

CenTexDave
July 31st, 2015, 7:02 PM
After Brazil's great mess, be sure to sit back and enjoy the Winter Olympics in Beijing in 2022. :))