PDA

View Full Version : Thinking outside the box

texaswhatever
June 5th, 2009, 5:39 PM
ok...so what's the deal with our cat peeing in his box, but doing his other business outside the box? His doctor expressed his glands, said to try new litter, get a bigger box, and use enzyme cleaner. Nothing is working. He's not very old. Is he just losing his mind? What gives doc?

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
June 6th, 2009, 2:43 PM
Thanks for the question. The problem you describe is most often behavior related and not a symptom of a specific disease process. Sometimes cats will respond to different "stress" factors (ok, don't laugh) by starting inappropriate elimination behaviors. Is there something new in the household? New pet, person, furniture, schedule, etc.

Often the best results are gained when you confine the kitty to a small room for several days with food, water and litterbox and try to "re-bond" him to the box. Kitties typically will not eliminate out of the box if they have to stay in close proximity to the mess.

Try this technique and see if he responds. You may have to confine him for a couple of weeks before giving him free reign again.

Good luck.

Scarlett
June 6th, 2009, 2:51 PM
I absolutely agree with the doc here! (As if I could trump his "Dr." title)

I had a cat who was perfect, until I got him a cat. Why I thought he needed company is beyond me. He responded by "eliminating" on beds. Nothing would stop him. We ended up giving him to a new family.

I am glad our cat now responds to Oscar and Rocky by beating them up instead.