PDA

View Full Version : HARP Baked Goods Sale

Ludwig
July 25th, 2015, 9:01 PM
The Ladies of Charity of St. Paul Chong Hasang Catholic Church, 1000 E. FM 2410, across from the Harker Heights High School, is conducting a Baked Goods Sale on August 15 at 6:30 p.m and August 16 at 8:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., and 12:30 p.m.
with all proceeds to be donated to the Homeless Awareness Response Program (HARP) of the KISD. Last year this program supported 1565 homeless children, 371 of which were unaccompanied by providing clothing, food, school supplies, transportation, and shelter.

mac
July 25th, 2015, 11:46 PM
The Ladies of Charity of St. Paul Chong Hasang Catholic Church, 1000 E. FM 2410, across from the Harker Heights High School, is conducting a Baked Goods Sale on August 15 at 6:30 p.m and August 16 at 8:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., and 12:30 p.m.
with all proceeds to be donated to the Homeless Awareness Response Program (HARP) of the KISD. Last year this program supported 1565 homeless children, 371 of which were unaccompanied by providing clothing, food, school supplies, transportation, and shelter.

wow....last year there were "1565 homeless children" in KISD"? Really?......I had no idea. I have no idea what the total population of KISD students is but 15hundred has got to be a pretty sizeable percentage of them. one out of every sf 10? 1 out of every 20?......that just seems fantastic......so.....where are these homeless kids right now as I type this....quarter til 11 p.m.?.......mac

siamcat
July 26th, 2015, 12:09 AM
wow....last year there were "1565 homeless children" in KISD"? Really?......I had no idea. I have no idea what the total population of KISD students is but 15hundred has got to be a pretty sizeable percentage of them. one out of every sf 10? 1 out of every 20?......that just seems fantastic......so.....where are these homeless kids right now as I type this....quarter til 11 p.m.?.......mac

Homeless is not only kids living on the street. It counts kids living in cheap motel rooms, with friends or families, and so on.

Basically every one without a permanent home.

Harp does a lot of good and is a worthy cause and you get to eat some sweets.

xzochye
July 26th, 2015, 12:50 AM

Roughly 43,000 students. My elementary school alone has 700.

FieryPrincess
July 30th, 2015, 12:46 AM

My niece technically qualifies as homeless because neither parent can provide a roof over her hear. Or food. Or Clothing. Or really anything at all. My parents have paid and filled that gap. You wouldn't know it just to look at her, but she really has the deck stacked against her.

mac
July 30th, 2015, 12:29 PM
My niece technically qualifies as homeless because neither parent can provide a roof over her hear. Or food. Or Clothing. Or really anything at all. My parents have paid and filled that gap. You wouldn't know it just to look at her, but she really has the deck stacked against her.

"neither parent can provide a roof over her head or food or clothing"? Are you sure that accurate, Princess, or might it be more accurate to say that they don't or that they won't? on the other hand sometimes a "stacked deck is a good thing and we just don't know it. "That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" (or something like that). . I think it's just great that your parents have stepped up and filled the void. Heck, they may be raising a future President of the U.S. of A! You just never know....mac

FieryPrincess
July 30th, 2015, 8:36 PM
Well, I'll tell you for free, mac,

We never know where the mom is, although jail is a safe bet. Dad doesn't want to have a bank account and was only recently forced into going through the process to get his driver's licence back (suspended and he didn't want to pay the fines) because the ONLY driver of the 4 of them is my Dad - who only has one working eye. You can't make this stuff up! We tried to get them to give her to us when she was little and they split up, but neither parent wanted to give up parental rights. My parents would let me launch any sort of bigger 'take the kid away' campaign. So, they pay for everything. This is not how they saw retirement. They feel they are carrying out a responsibility, but they have very little joy.

siamcat
July 30th, 2015, 8:50 PM
Bless your parents heart and I'm sorry for the situation.

mac
July 30th, 2015, 8:58 PM
Well, I'll tell you for free, mac,

We never know where the mom is, although jail is a safe bet. Dad doesn't want to have a bank account and was only recently forced into going through the process to get his driver's licence back (suspended and he didn't want to pay the fines) because the ONLY driver of the 4 of them is my Dad - who only has one working eye. You can't make this stuff up! We tried to get them to give her to us when she was little and they split up, but neither parent wanted to give up parental rights. My parents would let me launch any sort of bigger 'take the kid away' campaign. So, they pay for everything. This is not how they saw retirement. They feel they are carrying out a responsibility, but they have very little joy.

well....they may have more joy than what's evident to you...or I......or to anyone.....but it's a different kind of joy......a quiet, solemn and dignified selfless sort of joy that's also full of hope and promise. it's not the hollering rollin' on the floor, "ain't this fun" kind of joy but, maybe, even more meaningful. 2 of my daughters were adopted and 2 of them were fostered and I and my wife both experienced and are experiencing a kind of joy that's just beyond my ability to define or describe.........mac

lan_carter
August 4th, 2015, 3:39 AM
Mac,

Wow, every now and then... you write something that surprises me. After I became a CPS Investigator (short stint), I decided that one day I'd like to be a foster mom.

Ludwig
August 4th, 2015, 9:55 AM
We fostered for older children... middle school and beyond... for ten years. It was heartbreaking for us. The children would stay with us for a few months... just long enough to form a bond... and then CPS would decide to move them and forbid any further contact with us. It was the final straw when we found out through a third party that two of our girls were being abused by their new foster parents and there was not a thing we could do about it.

Yve
August 4th, 2015, 11:58 PM
I was a foster child...twice. My first foster family quit shortly after I moved on because it was heartbreaking for them. They had four boys of their own. At one time we had thirteen kids under one roof. I was only with them for nine months. We knew there were some poor foster homes. I was blessed to get one of the best families in the area right off the bat.

I went from a neglectful home of older, alcoholic parents to a grown sibling's home which was physically and emotionally abusive...which explains the second placement. I was only with my first family for 9 months but it was my only experience of "normal" family and it became the model I followed for my own family. That was a very important nine months that changed the course of my life for the good.

mac
August 5th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Mac,

Wow, every now and then... you write something that surprises me. After I became a CPS Investigator (short stint), I decided that one day I'd like to be a foster mom.

why.....thank you, lan. i think i 'ppreciate your comment....mac

siamcat
August 5th, 2015, 7:34 PM
We fostered for older children... middle school and beyond... for ten years. It was heartbreaking for us. The children would stay with us for a few months... just long enough to form a bond... and then CPS would decide to move them and forbid any further contact with us. It was the final straw when we found out through a third party that two of our girls were being abused by their new foster parents and there was not a thing we could do about it.

I never fostered kids, but my neighbors do. We always welcomed them and it was heartbreaking for me to see them leave after a few month. The little ones loved our dog, back when they swam in our pool, most were sweet. I couldn't foster.

mac
August 5th, 2015, 10:44 PM
I never fostered kids, but my neighbors do. We always welcomed them and it was heartbreaking for me to see them leave after a few month. The little ones loved our dog, back when they swam in our pool, most were sweet. I couldn't foster.

that's very close to what happened to my wife and I......when it came time to give them back to the Government.....well, it was just more than she could bear and to be honest about it, me too. So we extended our tour for a couple of years and adopted them too! Probl'ly one of the smartest things I ever did.....mac