PDA

View Full Version : Women's World Cup Soccer

CenTexDave
June 16th, 2015, 7:50 PM
I know Owl will intently be watching each and every game on Fox Sports. :)
USA beat Australia, although they weren't very impressive, tied a less than real good Sweden, and are currently leading Nigeria. Group of Death? Not hardly.
Even with a loss tonight they will advance to the knock out round.
But I don't see them winning this thing. Too many of their players are too old.

CenTexDave
June 16th, 2015, 8:47 PM
I have watched 4 games so far - USA-Australia, USA-Sweden, USA-Nigeria (still ongoing) and one other.
One thing I have noticed is that FIFA, in their infinite wisdom (NOT) decided two things different for this World Cup:
(1) It would be played on artificial turf. OMG - there isn't a soccer player in the world who likes playing on turf.
(2) It would be neat if all the officials were women. WRONG. What a freakin' joke - they have missed hand ball after hand ball (3 against us alone), have blown numerous off sides calls. We should be up against Nigeria at least 4-0, but I guess these refs wants to appease the world and make it close.

Grammar Rules
June 16th, 2015, 9:04 PM
FIFA is crooked, which we all know, but they think that if they make a big show of being egalitarian in regards to race and gender, everyone will think they're fair and caring, tra la.

Too late for that crap now.

Of course, the refs for the NBA game are all guys, and you pointed out they were awful during the last game. I'm half-watching the current one, but not qualified to judge the refs myself.

CenTexDave
June 16th, 2015, 9:33 PM
Was switching channels between the soccer and basketball games. Gave up on Cleveland early, but the soccer game is finished and the Cavs are close at the half now.
Basketball, soccer, football, etc., have become full speed ahead. The games are much faster than they were 10 years ago. One official to cover the entire soccer pitch (field) is crazy. All the two on the sidelines do is call off-sides or possession.
Same with basketball - they need another ref on the court.

CenTexDave
June 22nd, 2015, 6:23 AM
We're at the knockout stage and tonight (7PM Central) we take on Colombia. Should be on Fox Sports 1.
Colombia's doing some trash talking. The last time we played them their main attacker sucker punched our star, Abby Wambach, right in the jaw and that got her tossed.
Hope we do our talking on the scoreboard tonight - 3-0 win would be nice.

fchafey
June 22nd, 2015, 7:52 AM
Will be waching that and switching to the College WS. Vary partial to UVA and hope they can win.

CenTexDave
June 22nd, 2015, 8:52 AM
I haven't really followed that much but know TCU was knocked out.

CenTexDave
June 22nd, 2015, 8:57 PM
USA won it, but it was a very physical and rough game. Two of our players received yellow cards, and because they have had received them in past games they have to sit out the quarter-finals against China. One of them, Megan Rapinoe, is our best midfielder.
Colombia tried their best to trash talk and for a while I thought I was watching their women's diving team.
Oh, and the one who punched Abby Wambach - Lady Andrade - cried after their loss. :))

Ludwig
June 22nd, 2015, 9:39 PM
Columbia comported themselves well. They were super-quick but could just not get the ball into the goal.

I don't understand the carry-over of a yellow card. When the game ends that should be the end. China may bust our chops with that kind of head start which they did not earn.

mac
June 22nd, 2015, 9:51 PM
Columbia comported themselves well. They were super-quick but could just not get the ball into the goal.

I don't understand the carry-over of a yellow card. When the game ends that should be the end. China may bust our chops with that kind of head start which they did not earn.

Germany and France will really be great......i've got 3 daughters here to watch it with me......mac

CenTexDave
June 23rd, 2015, 6:00 AM

I don't know why it is that way. A Red Card I can understand, but yellow cards should just be for one game. But it is what it is and now our "deep bench" best come through.

CenTexDave
June 26th, 2015, 11:17 PM
USA defeated China 1-0 and will face Germany in the semis.
Germany was mostly outplayed by France, but France missed the easiest goal and fell in penalty kicks shootout.

CenTexDave
June 28th, 2015, 8:33 AM
On Tuesday it's the USA vs Germany.
Then on Weds England takes on Japan.
Winners advance to the championship game.
I think the winner of the USA vs Germany match will take it all. Having watched most of the matches,
I can honestly say England and Japan have not been very impressive. Japan beat Australia, 1-0, but their goal came when one of
their players was offsides and it wasn't caught by the refs.

mac
June 28th, 2015, 9:32 AM
USA defeated China 1-0.

with a HEADER!.......my girls all went totally nuts....mac

CenTexDave
June 28th, 2015, 2:49 PM
We pretty well dominated that game. Should have scored in the 2nd minute too.

mac
June 28th, 2015, 3:18 PM
We pretty well dominated that game. Should have scored in the 2nd minute too.

yeow, that's what I thought too. I was watchin' it out on the back porch (think man cave) and the girls were in the front room watch in' it on the big set. as it so happens I was barely watchin' it when all of a sudden the dammed front room just exploded with yells and glee.....well, of course by that time they were already runnin re-runs of it.....but, I gotta admit, that was one hell of a play.....mac

CenTexDave
June 29th, 2015, 6:53 AM
What will be interesting to see is which lineup the USA will go with on Tuesday vs. Germany.
Megan Rapinoe is back from suspension. She will definitely be in there as she's out best playmaker.
Whether or not Abby Wambach starts or not is the question. The all time leading goal scorer, but she is
now 35 years old and moves in slow motion. One of the reasons we dominated China is our overall speed. You lose that
with Wambach out there on the pitch. She also is not nearly as good as she was - she missed a penalty kick
against Colombia.

Ludwig
June 29th, 2015, 8:16 AM
Just an observation. I am surprised that these elder gentlemen are exhibiting an interest in SOCCER, much less women's sports, particularly given that the participating "women" are hardly representative of ideal femininity (some look like they may not even be women), and the age of these gentlemen. I wonder what the dynamic is.

fchafey
June 29th, 2015, 8:25 AM
Well, the camarea man only showed the Canadian player Adrianna Leon once below the waist, believe she was commando. She was throwing the ball in and the camera jerked up pretty quick. Kind of funny, had to pause and show the wife what happened, never saw her lower body again. 5611

CenTexDave
June 29th, 2015, 9:00 AM
My daughter started playing soccer in the Cove city park league when she was six. Went onto play all throughout high school - all-district twice and team co-captain. Four year starter in college. Played
for a semi-pro team in Midland and coached at the college as a grad assistant. Hell yes I follow it. It sure isn't to look at Wambach. Nice article I read about her and how the SCOTUS ruling now lets her
marry her sweetie. :))
The USA has its own version of Adrianna Leon. Check out Julie Johnston. :)

fchafey
June 29th, 2015, 9:06 AM
Alex Morgan....

CenTexDave
June 29th, 2015, 9:44 AM
Not too shabby, but check out Johnston: http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5612&stc=1

CenTexDave
June 30th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Today is THE GAME. 6PM Central time, Fox channel 44. GO USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CenTexDave
June 30th, 2015, 6:55 PM
Hell of a first half, and very rough. That one German player received a yellow card, should have gotten a second one. Two yellows = one red and bye bye.
That injury to both players was bad. And Owl thinks this a a whuss sport. :))

CenTexDave
June 30th, 2015, 7:22 PM
Poetic justice. Germany's star forward just missed a penalty kick. :))
The penalty was awarded for a b.s. foul anyway.
This ref must be from Europe - if we so much as touch one of the precious frauleins they take a nose dive and draw a foul. Yet they can knock our players all over the field.

CenTexDave
June 30th, 2015, 7:31 PM
We score on a penalty kick. Lead 1-0.
Even the ref couldn't ignore that foul in the box against Germany as they knocked our player to the ground. :)

CenTexDave
June 30th, 2015, 7:52 PM
2-0. Now in 2nd minute of 3 minutes of stoppage. We're gonna win. :)

CenTexDave
June 30th, 2015, 7:56 PM
WE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Play the winner of Japan vs England on Sunday for the championship. :)

fchafey
July 1st, 2015, 8:43 AM
Hmmm USA beats Germany then later they could possibly defeat Japan....wonder if that has ever happened?

CenTexDave
July 1st, 2015, 8:53 AM
Last WWC was a big upset. Won't repeat it this time. Japan, with the exception of the last 10 minutes, was clearly outplayed by Australia with their 1-0 win. Japan's goal should have been
disallowed - they were clearly off sides as slow motion replay showed.

CenTexDave
July 1st, 2015, 7:46 PM
Japan and England tied at the end of regulation. Now two 15 minute OT's, no "golden goal". If still tied after the two OT's then a penalty kick shootout.
Good - wear one of them out for when we play them on Sunday. :)

CenTexDave
July 1st, 2015, 7:49 PM
OMG - Japan scores in stoppage time as the Brit defender kicked the ball into her own net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks like we get Japan on Sunday. Their goal against Australia was a bunch of b.s. - they were offsides; now this.
Time for some payback. :)

fchafey
July 2nd, 2015, 8:00 AM
That poor girl from England, Holy Cow...I had to see that a few times, I couldnt beleive it. Remember the Goalie for Englands mens team that let one go through the 5 hole against the US?

Grammar Rules
July 2nd, 2015, 9:13 AM
Dave, what time is the game Sunday?

CenTexDave
July 2nd, 2015, 9:57 AM
That poor girl from England, Holy Cow...I had to see that a few times, I couldnt beleive it. Remember the Goalie for Englands mens team that let one go through the 5 hole against the US?

It happens. We had the same thing happen to us in the 1999 Women's World Cup in the championship game against China. I think it was Brandi Chastain who accidentally kicked the ball past our goalie, Brianna Scurry. We tied that one up and won it in penalty kicks - Brandi Chastain burying the winner and then pulling off her jersey. Famous pic. :)

CenTexDave
July 2nd, 2015, 9:58 AM
Dave, what time is the game Sunday?

6PM Central, but check Fox 44 on Sunday afternoon to make sure. I've seen different times posted on different websites.

fchafey
July 2nd, 2015, 12:48 PM
I am tracking 4pm Central on Fox....

siamcat
July 2nd, 2015, 8:58 PM
Where is the World Cup happening?

Sorry, have not been paying attention to location. Both times seem way late for anywhere in Europe.

Go USA8-;

mac
July 2nd, 2015, 10:34 PM

Sorry, have not been paying attention to location. Both times seem way late for anywhere in Europe.

Go USA8-;

Vancouver, ma'dam.....mac

CenTexDave
July 3rd, 2015, 8:26 AM
The championship game is in Vancouver, British Columbia.
ESPN still showing it set for 6PM, Central time. Note that is the time play starts. All the pomp and pagentry will start around 5:30PM, Central.
The third place game between Germany and England is Saturday, 3PM Central.

CenTexDave
July 3rd, 2015, 8:31 AM

Go USA8-;

Lots of speculation about FIFA and the way they put on this World Cup.
First is the playing surface - all artificial turf. Nobody likes it. The ball bounces different, causes more injuries, etc.
Second is their bracketing - putting Germany and France on a collision course to meet in the quarter-finals.

mac
July 3rd, 2015, 12:22 PM
The championship game is in Vancouver, British Columbia.
ESPN still showing it set for 6PM, Central time. Note that is the time play starts. All the pomp and pagentry will start around 5:30PM, Central.
The third place game between Germany and England is Saturday, 3PM Central.

and THAT's gonna be a great game too. it has all the potential of being the better game, even though i'm trapped into watching both of 'em...mac

Night Owl
July 3rd, 2015, 1:45 PM
No you're not.:)

mac
July 3rd, 2015, 2:36 PM
No you're not.:)

that's true, you're right. i have a shop out back, guess i could retreat to it and turn a piece of walnut into something.....but I guess to be totally honest i've been bitten too......although if all my girls weren't here there ain't no way i'd be watchin' it......they all already understand that Sunday night, the big screen belongs to Dad.....least ways as long as Jeff is still in the race. I mean, a guy just has to have some priorities and privileges...mac

Night Owl
July 3rd, 2015, 4:35 PM
I used to be a Gordon fan until he came out and said Iverson was a hero of his. My daughter went to school with Iverson and anyone who says he's a hero is a zero in my book.

CenTexDave
July 3rd, 2015, 7:00 PM
Who? Jeff Gordon? Allen Iverson? Whoopee. :))