PDA

View Full Version : Philly lady busted with hollow point ammo

fchafey
April 6th, 2015, 6:24 AM
Saw on the news before I left Jersey where Christie pardoned the Philly CHL carrier.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/28717770/pardoned-philly

Mestral
April 6th, 2015, 6:40 AM
The link you posted showed she was pardoned for mistakenly exersizing her Constitutional Rights,
but it doesn't mention Hollow Point ammo. This one does.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/02/christie-pardons-philadelphia-mom-who-was-arrested-after-bringing-gun-to-nj/

Shaneen Allen, a mother of two, was arrested in October of that year in Hamilton Township after she was pulled over during a routine traffic stop. Although she told police she had the gun and a Pennsylvania concealed carry permit, she faced up to three years in prison in New Jersey, where gun laws are among the strictest in the nation.

Allen, whose .380 Bersa Thunder handgun was loaded with hollow point bullets when she was arrested, had no criminal record. She was charged with unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of hollow-point bullets.

In September, Allen was allowed to enter a pre-trial intervention program.

Christie, a potential 2016 presidential candidate, initially said he would let the case play out in the state's judicial system. He said recently he would consider changing the state's gun laws, but that the Democratic legislature has no appetite for that and instead he would do what was in his purview, such as pardons.

Christie's action drew swift praise from the National Rifle Association.

The case drew national attention, in part because the same Atlantic County prosecutor and judge who signed off on pre-trial intervention for former NFL star Ray Rice, who knocked his then-fiancee out in an Atlantic City hotel elevator last year, denied the opportunity to Allen.

The link provided in post #1 expands the human interest side of the story:

PHILADELPHIA (WTXF) -
You may remember a Philadelphia woman making national headlines in 2013 after being arrested for bringing a gun registered in Pennsylvania across the state line and into New Jersey.
The mother of two was back in the headlines this week after Governor Chris Christie pardoned her.
Fox 29 Weekend's Bill Anderson talked to that woman Friday.
The single mother of two had been robbed on two different occasions and was afraid. So, she took a class and applied for, and received, a Pennsylvania permit to carry her legally purchased firearm.
One night after crossing into New Jersey she was pulled over for a minor traffic violation, and told the police she had the gun and a carry permit. However, New Jersey doesn't recognize Pennsylvania permits so she was arrested and faced 12-years in prison
Although public outcry led the prosecutor to spare her major jail time, she was still considered a felon until Thursday when Governor Christie pardoned her
Shaneen said Friday that she's thrilled she can start rebuilding her life and shared the challenges she faced for two years, as she tried to provide for her family while being labeled a felon every time she applied for a job.
Of course, LEFTIST's would never want to admit they don't consider a mother of two worthy of the Human Right to self defense.
But that is exactly how liberals saw her: not worthy of Human Rights.

fchafey
April 6th, 2015, 6:44 AM
Well as left as New Jersey is I probably could have found a better written article. It was part of the news broadcast on Thunder 106.3, a country station out of Eatontown. I don't recall seeing it on the TV news though. I don't watch the NY stations they are really misery driven left. The Philly Station on CH6 is an ABC affiliate and isn't bad.

Mestral
April 6th, 2015, 6:48 AM
The Philly Station on CH6 is an ABC affiliate and isn't bad.
That is pretty sad commentary, to say that compared to the rest of them, ABC isn't bad :doh

The links you and I posted complement each other, telling two sides to an important story.

Ludwig
April 6th, 2015, 10:52 AM
I am of the opinion that it is up to the carrier of the weapon to know the law. At the same time I must admit that when I was searched at the check point at Fort Hood with a loaded rifle in the trunk of my vehicle I, too, said, "Ups! I forgot I had it there." Yes, they let me pass, after I unloaded the rifle and separated the rifle from the ammo.

Mestral
April 6th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I had forgotten the part about "hollow point ammo" and New Jersey, until this morning.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/08/mike-mcdaniel/hollow-point-ammunition-basic-rationale/

New Jersey law doesn’t absolutely ban hollow points, but makes it virtually impossible to use them for self-defense outside the home. One may own hollow points in their home or property, but only “sportsmen” are allowed to transport them, but their guns must be unloaded and the ammunition removed and kept separate, and even in some circumstances, locked up. In addition, one must go straight to and from their range or hunting area and have a valid hunting license. The New Jersey State Police have a helpful article on the issue available here.

In other words, in the name of public safety, New Jersey makes the use of the most effective and safe handgun ammunition all but impossible outside the home, particularly for self-defense, and actually endangers the public. The laws are so convoluted and nonsensical that most people would be wise to avoid hollow points–even gun ownership–entirely. No doubt, that’s what New Jersey politicians intend.

IronErnin
April 6th, 2015, 11:37 AM
I never declare that I have concealed weapons on me.
But then, I'm pretty sure no body would want me running around nekkid.
If I can hold it in my hand, it IS a weapon. I've seen too many of Jackie Chan's movies to not think that way.

Dagobert II
April 6th, 2015, 11:58 AM
I am of the opinion that it is up to the carrier of the weapon to know the law. At the same time I must admit that when I was searched at the check point at Fort Hood with a loaded rifle in the trunk of my vehicle I, too, said, "Ups! I forgot I had it there." Yes, they let me pass, after I unloaded the rifle and separated the rifle from the ammo. LOL, I picked up a soldier who was walking along 190 toward post one morning and gave him a lift to the main gate with a loaded 12 GA resting openly between the two front seats. The cutest little MP did what I guess she considered a "search" of my vehicle and never noticed or mentioned if she did notice, the shotgun.

fchafey
April 6th, 2015, 5:01 PM
They don't seem to check motorcycles. I must admit I too have left my weapon in my bike and have gone to work all week. Oops.

Mestral
June 12th, 2015, 3:55 PM
There is now, thanks to a "progressive" (we can translate that to something like 7 of the "justices" can't read
the Constitution) Supreme Court, San Francisco now also has a ban on hollow point ammo. The law uses the
clearly unconstitutional phrase ‘no sporting purpose’ and for that reason alone, should have been struck down.

Of course I have already identified San Fransisco as a Constitution Free Zone (http://www.centextalk.com/vb/entry.php/55-Constitution-Free-Zones), but this will give the forces of evil
encouragement to promote unconstitutional laws in other places.

San Francisco also has a law that any gun not on your person must be locked up. At first glance, this
seems a logical idea anyway, but when encoded into law, is just aching for abuse. (In much the same
way that some cops will ask you to "step outside," just so they can bust you for public intoxication.)

Mestral
June 12th, 2015, 3:59 PM
They don't seem to check motorcycles. I must admit I too have left my weapon in my bike and have gone to work all week. Oops.
I have coworkers who rides from time to time, and on one or two occasions I have seen them flagged for inspection.